• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Damn, watched it and the last act with the big G kicking ass was worth all the teasing before it.

WB give me dat Pacific Rim/Godzilla crossover movie.

Pacific Rim was better than this Godzilla movie

Nah, I don't want the franchises to cross over. Godzilla was far too serious in nature to be integrated into the Pacific Rim world.

So I've seen Godzilla twice now, two nights ago was the second time. Last night I re-watched my Pacific Rim blu ray because I was still in a monster movie mood, and wow it's amazing to me just how much better PR is than Godzilla. For me personally, even though I liked Godzilla, PR is better in almost every way. Better pacing, better and more memorable characters, better dialogue, humor, better monster designs (except for Godzilla himself), HUGE MECHS, better action, better soundtrack, better emotional moments, better end credits. The only real thing that Godzilla does better, the only positive I can give to it, is that it actually has Godzilla in it.

I'm guessing that the people who prefer Godzilla over Pacific Rim just enjoy darker more serious movies over lighter tone more "fun" movies. DC versus Marvel, Man of Steel versus Avengers so to speak. I also prefer Marvel to DC movies, so there may be a pattern there. I'm not saying that Pacific Rim is a masterpiece, but it's still enjoyable to me even after having seen it a half dozen times. I have no desire to sit through Godzilla again in the theater (I'll buy the blu ray of course). Similarly I have very little desire to ever see Man of Steel again, even though I am a huge Superman fan.

Hopefully the Godzilla sequel will be a better movie. Thankfully it looks very good there will be a sequel.

Jaeger

Nah, I don't want the franchises to cross over. Godzilla was far too serious in nature to be integrated into the Pacific Rim world.

So I've seen Godzilla twice now, two nights ago was the second time. Last night I re-watched my Pacific Rim blu ray because I was still in a monster movie mood, and wow it's amazing to me just how much better PR is than Godzilla. For me personally, even though I liked Godzilla, PR is better in almost every way. Better pacing, better and more memorable characters, better dialogue, humor, better monster designs (except for Godzilla himself), HUGE MECHS, better action, better soundtrack, better emotional moments, better end credits. The only real thing that Godzilla does better, the only positive I can give to it, is that it actually has Godzilla in it.

I'm guessing that the people who prefer Godzilla over Pacific Rim just enjoy darker more serious movies over lighter tone more "fun" movies. DC versus Marvel, Man of Steel versus Avengers so to speak. I also prefer Marvel to DC movies, so there may be a pattern there. I'm not saying that Pacific Rim is a masterpiece, but it's still enjoyable to me even after having seen it a half dozen times. I have no desire to sit through Godzilla again in the theater (I'll buy the blu ray of course). Similarly I have very little desire to ever see Man of Steel again, even though I am a huge Superman fan.

Hopefully the Godzilla sequel will be a better movie. Thankfully it looks very good there will be a sequel.

The films do two entirely different things thematically. Why are people so keen on comparing them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Enjoyed the more quite a bit. Do agree that there could have been more Godzilla though. Design was great, fights were great.

Movie could have used a Katana Wielding Super Mario, though.

potEujM.jpg

Oersted

I hope for the sequel Toho releases the floodgates and lets WB/Legendary use the classic monsters.

Want Mothra, Rodan, Ghidorah. Jesus fuck just give me that WB/Legendary, fuck this MUTO garbage, I want the classic monsters.

I thought the sequel will be Legendary only...

strobogo

Banned
I would like the return of DESTROYAHHHHH. Such a dope monster. Although I guess it would have to be completely redone since that origin doesn't make sense in a world without the Oxygen Destroyer.

Jaeger

I would like the return of DESTROYAHHHHH. Such a dope monster. Although I guess it would have to be completely redone since that origin doesn't make sense in a world without the Oxygen Destroyer.

I'm betting on Showa era monsters before anything Heisei or onwards being used. Or the continued use of new monsters who mirror in ways others. DESOTROYAH! was cool, though. I think most I want to see Ghidorah and Mothra.

sploatee

formerly Oynox Slider
I had no problems with Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

He acted frustrated and worried when he was with Brian Cranston, happy around his family and acted like a soldier for the rest. He did a fine job. I'm not sure what everyone wanted/expected from him.

My criticism isn't of him, it's of replacing human characters with one who really is just pure function.

I'm not coming at this on a one woman war, I wish I'd liked it. I just thought it was a mess and yet another hollow blockbuster. The studio will turn a profit, the film will be forgotten about in ten years and that'll be that.

Whether you loved or hated the movie you guys should really listen to this FX Guide podcast with Edward. Amazingly insightful and he lays out the decision for each and every shot.

http://www.fxguide.com/fxpodcasts/fxpodcast-276-director-gareth-edwards-on-godzilla/

He talks about killing Cranston off and how they tried to make it work with him. The fine line between teasing enough or teasing to the point of pissing your audience off. The methodology of figuring out the story and how much he has learned from shooting this Godzilla and what he would do for a sequel.

Awesome stuff

Blader

If they're going to start using space monsters, I'd rather they use Gigan instead of Ghidorah.

Complete with theme park-owning cockroach aliens, of course.

ElyrionX

Watched it in Imax 3D today and loved it. Very atmospheric and I love the constant military focus. I am glad they didn't chose to completely focus on some family or civilians on the ground and how the events affected them which is exactly what a lot of monsters/disaster movies have done before. I am far more interested in seeing how the military would effectively and realistically (well, as realistic as Hollywood gets anyway) respond to a threat like Godzilla and this show delivered that in spades.

In terms of the comparisons to Pacific Rim, that movie had the better action scenes but Godzilla has it beat in almost everything else.

strobogo

Banned
I'm betting on Showa era monsters before anything Heisei or onwards being used. Or the continued use of new monsters who mirror in ways others. DESOTROYAH! was cool, though. I think most I want to see Ghidorah and Mothra.

I'd like to see a Ghidorah movie that isn't awful. Awesome monster, but god damn do I hate every KG movie. Maybe I should watch the Mothra solo movies to get a good movie with Ghidorah.

Destroyaaaaaaaaaaah is probably my favorite G movie. That and the OG Godzilla vs Mothra movie.

ElyrionX

I was reading through this thread. Jesus christ, there are actually people who think that the 98 Godzilla is better than this? How is that even remotely possible?

Blader

I'd like to see a Ghidorah movie that isn't awful. Awesome monster, but god damn do I hate every KG movie. Maybe I should watch the Mothra solo movies to get a good movie with Ghidorah.

Shitting on Astro Monter and Destroy All Monsters? Blasphemy!

I've never seen the solo Mothra trilogy, but from what I've heard, they definitely aren't what you're looking for. :lol

Destroyaaaaaaaaaaah is probably my favorite G movie. That and the OG Godzilla vs Mothra movie.

Giant Monsters All Out Attack is probably my favorite Godzilla movie and King Ghidorah plays a pretty big part.

strobogo

Banned
Giant Monsters All Out Attack is probably my favorite Godzilla movie and King Ghidorah plays a pretty big part.

It's my LEAST favorite outside of the bad, kiddie, stock footage garbage of the late 60s/early 70s. The only decent thing about it is Godzilla being one mean mother fucker, but his suit looked bad, and Ghidorah being changed to a legendary protector is terrible. I hate it a lot.

Movie was shit. Some solid action but the script was absolute garbage and the acting was bad. Cranston was good of course but Watanabe and Taylor-Johnson gave cringe inducing performances. I think the asian kid plotline might be the dumbest one I've seen in a while. This shit will end up just like Pacific Rim. Lots of circle jerk for it for about 2 months until people realize how awful the movie really is behind all the CGI.

1353445212_waynes_world_2_que_desparrame_2_1993_3.jpg

That mindset is the reason why we basically got no totally new monsters for 40 (!!!) years. Even Orga was just trying to be a Godzilla-hybrid. Every one of them was just a rehash of some sort. Maybe save for Dagahra but it's from the Mothra films.

Let's be real, the old movies look so unappealing they need to be recreated with modern effects and a proper budget to do them justice

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I was reading through this thread. Jesus christ, there are actually people who think that the 98 Godzilla is better than this? How is that even remotely possible?

No, lol, that can't be true!

Is it? o_O

Jaeger

I can't fathom being more satisfied or comfortable with a fish eating, running away at the site of danger, vulnerable to all types of firearms "Godzilla" then a creature who I unno, is the exact opposite of that, and actually resembles whom he is based on.

Next up, I want my Superman not Super.

I can't fathom being more satisfied or comfortable with a fish eating, running away at the site of danger, vulnerable to all types of firearms "Godzilla" then a creature who I unno, is the exact opposite of that, and actually resembles whom he is based on.

Did you hear about the rumored Superman years ago who only had powers when wearing the superman outfit? Yikes.. But, yeah Godzilla ACTUALLY IS Godzilla in the latest film.

Jaeger

Did you hear about the rumored Superman years ago who only had powers when wearing the superman outfit? Yikes.. But, yeah Godzilla ACTUALLY IS Godzilla in the latest film.

Lol that's just excellent. The drama, the suspense! Will his suit be dry in time to save the city? Emmy award winning! And he doesn't fight anything but an iron the hole time.

The Micheal Bay effect, people like their explosions even if it's only the military causing it.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Just got back. Enjoyed the movie a lot. Could have done without the extra focus on the characters (which were all really dull and useless, save for Cranston). Godzilla, the beast itself, was AMAZING! Great CGI work for the MUTOs as well. Might get into spoilers soon, but too tired and drained right now. Overall, an 8/10, I suppose.

I saw this on Tuesday. After Binge watching all the Important Godzilla movies before i went to see it I have to say i'm impressed with this Film.I Really liked Godzilla's design in this film.HELL of a lot better than the Crap-Fest that is the 98 Godzilla.A Few things i hated about this movie and the First thing was The M.U.T.O.S., I thought they were the worst Design and seemed like they belonged in Pacific Rim than Godzilla.. I mean they COULD of picked someone from Godzilla's Rogues Gallery but they didn't which left me disappointed

Even though i'm super excited for Mothra

Other thing i'm kinda bummed out about is Bryan Cranston's character being cut so early in the film, I felt he should of stayed on a bit longer with Ken Watanabe's character as a Consultant or something.

Anyway The King of Monsters is Back! I can't wait for the Sequel
GIVE ME JET JAGUAR

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The kaijus in Pacific Rim shit all over the MUTOS. the MUTOS are some of the most uninspired monster designs I've seen in a while, just generic as fuck.

The kaijus in Pacific Rim shit all over the MUTOS. the MUTOS are some of the most uninspired monster designs I've seen in a while, just generic as fuck.
It's odd, Pacific Rim kaiju had some fantastic designs but they didn't use them that well other than Otachi. The rest were kinda cannon fodder and didn't do much.

I do agree though Cloverfield-esque monsters are getting really dull. They need to fix that in the sequel and bring out one of the more unique Toho Monsters. I would love to see an updated Gigan or Biollante.

In the interview I posted in the last page he talks about the Muto designs and how he struggled with what direction he really wanted to go in with them but they ultimately settled on the idea that they wanted them to be as alien and un-relatable to us as possible so they went with insects for inspiration. He wanted them to have almost no emotion so that Godzilla would be a huge contrast to them.

Jaeger

They are all trademarked characters whom have appeared in films outside of the Godzilla franchise.

Like if I asked permission to use Mickey Mouse in something, I don't get all the others like Goofy. I have to get each one individually.

RangersFan

Just got back from seeing it. Huge disappointment for me. I actually enjoyed the first half of the movie BEFORE all the monsters started showing up. Pacific Rim for me is like the ultimate monster movie. Though admittedly I was never a huge fan of Godzilla movies.

Wow this movie was really really disappointing ...

Also really really really REALLY stupid. It absorbs radiation? ... what the fuck ... err hello science yeah there is the door don't ever come back.

It can be bated by nuclear warheads ... shielded low amounts of radiation ... not the hundreds of commercial nuclear power plants? Not even the nuclear reactor on the aircraft carriers?

This movie was verging on boring, it didn't need the brain dead science and military tech ...

zma1013

You mean Pacific Rim, the movie where they were like, "You know what would be cool? A monster with an axe for a head! Yes an axe. So he could chop stuff with it!"

How... imaginative.

Also really really really REALLY stupid. It absorbs radiation? ... what the fuck ... err hello science yeah there is the door don't ever come back.

It can be bated by nuclear warheads ... shielded low amounts of radiation ... not the hundreds of commercial nuclear power plants? Not even the nuclear reactor on the aircraft carriers?

This movie was verging on boring, it didn't need the brain dead science and military tech ...

Scientists have found evidence that certain fungi can get energy from some forms of radiation. Not completely out of the realm of science for a life form to use radiation for some kind of energy.

hello science? are you actually saying that!?

IT'S A MOVIE ABOUT A SERIES OF FICTIONAL ATTACKS OF/ON FICTIONAL MONSTERS

It's Godzilla there's going to be some really shaky pseudo-science in it.

It's really no different than any of the super hero movies out there. Kinda like Super Man gaining the power of flight from being a sunlight sponge.

You just have to roll with it.

Scientists have found evidence that certain fungi can get energy from some forms of radiation. Not completely out of the realm of science for a life form to use radiation for some kind of energy.

... jesus christ ...

You do realise that pretty much all of life is supported by 'radiation'. You know electromagnetic radiation coming off the sun. Photosynthesis ...

Sitting next to a reactor won't use up it's radiation. Planting your eggs next to a nuclear weapon won't feed them. You'll get more radiation from the cosmic radiation filtered down from the heavens than you would get sat next to a nuke.

I could stomach the 'creature digests the radionuclides to feed some form of internal biological nuclear reactor. But the whole 'it used up the radiation' is just bad fucking science.

... jesus christ ...

You do realise that pretty much all of life is supported by 'radiation'. You know electromagnetic radiation coming off the sun. Photosynthesis ...

Sitting next to a reactor won't use up it's radiation. Planting your eggs next to a nuclear weapon won't feed them. You'll get more radiation from the cosmic radiation filtered down from the heavens than you would get sat next to a nuke.

I could stomach the 'creature digests the radionuclides to feed some form of internal biological nuclear reactor. But the whole 'it used up the radiation' is just bad fucking science.

You can't be serious. This has to be a joke post

it's a science FICTION film, meaning not real, bro.

Good science fiction fits the psuedo science in between real world science. It doesn't squash the real science to make room.

They could of easily explained in between real science how the creatures feed. But they choose to ignore the most basic principles of physics and run with it. It's lazy and frustrating to watch.

Top Bottom