• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

I would actually love to see Guillermo del Toro try his hand at a Godzilla film if only to see what kind of monster designs he comes up with. It would be a pretty big difference in terms of atmosphere compared to this film but I know he's got a big appreciation for Godzilla.

Just thought the same thing. Forget about Pacific Rim, time to move up to the big leagues.

pulga

Banned
Just came back from the cinema.

Takes more or less an hour for Godzilla to show up and he has what - 15 mins TOPS screen time?

What the fuck was up with all the cutting away from the fights? Reminded me of Peter vs Sylar in Heroes. Was this movie made with a shoe string budget? Guess that explains why Cranston bites it 30 minutes in.

Terribly disappointed, wish I'd gone to see DOFP instead.

Just came back from the cinema.

Takes more or less an hour for Godzilla to show up and he has what - 15 mins TOPS screen time?

What the fuck was up with all the cutting away from the fights? Reminded me of Peter vs Sylar in Heroes. Was this movie made with a shoe string budget? Guess that explains why *SPOILER* 30 minutes in.

Terribly disappointed, wish I'd gone to see DOFP instead.

Oh cool, I didn't realize that happened.

Blader

Wait a tick

The report confirms that Edwards is attached to direct Godzilla 2 and even Godzilla 3, but those films are in the nascent stages and don’t even have scripts yet. As such, Edwards’ next project will take place in a galaxy far, far away. Legendary CEO Thomas Tull confirmed that Godzilla 2 is a ways off in his statement regarding the Star Wars news:

“The plan has always been for Gareth to direct a different film before we started on another Godzilla, but who knew it would a Star Wars installment? We have a great plan in store for Godzilla fans and I am looking forward to seeing Gareth’s imprint on the Star Wars universe.”

http://collider.com/star-wars-spinoff-gareth-edwards/

Blader

If they're going to wait that long, maybe that means they plan to shoot 2 and 3 back to back?

Two-part Destroy All Monsters movie? :O

pulga

Banned
If WB is really willing to wait 4+ years before the next Godzilla movie, that's A LOT of faith. Impressive, but super risky.

Hopefully during that time they'll be able to amass a decent budget for either: A) a better script or B) stop cutting away from the fights

who the hell thought it was a good idea for Ken Watanabe to shout "LET THEM FIGHT", hype everyone the fuck up, and cutaway two seconds later? Pacing motherfuckers, have you ever heard of it :mad:

Blader

Hopefully during that time they'll be able to amass a decent budget for either: A) a better script or B) stop cutting away from the fights

who the hell thought it was a good idea for Ken Watanabe to shout "LET THEM FIGHT", hype everyone the fuck up, and cutaway two seconds later? Pacing motherfuckers, have you ever heard of it :mad:

They did fight that time though.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier-$170 million
Thor: the Dark World-$170 million
Godzilla-$160 million

OMG look @ the tiny Godzilla budget, this is basically an indie film

pulga

Banned
Naw that cut was perfect

one cut too many after the hawaii cut. at that point i was ready to see godzilla smash some shit up, after staring at his plates sticking out of the water for what seemed like an eternity. last thing i wanted was more human crap -_-

duckroll

They should definitely invest in a better script. And Edwards definitely needs more experience directing actors and just letting them breath and be natural people. He's very good at letting the camera breath and letting shots feel natural and organic. Just needs to be able to do that with people too.

Also I really hope Watanabe doesn't return. Lol.

Atrophis

Fucking Star Wars :(

So we either get a new director who will probably fuck it up or we are waiting 4 years minimum for the next film.

That was okay, however I was not amused by the Hawaii airport cut. That pissed me off, lol. Thought it was going down!

That is the only one that annoyed me but I did laugh with that kid watching Godzilla stone cold the MUTO.

That scene reminded me for some reason of 9/11. Walking in and seeing something so insane live on TV. I think Edwards was trying to show both viewpoints.

I really wanted more in that scene too though.

Fucking Star Wars :(

So we either get a new director who will probably fuck it up or we are waiting 4 years minimum for the next film.

Sounds like we're waiting. Studio seems to be pretty committed to Edwards

That was okay, however I was not amused by the Hawaii airport cut. That pissed me off, lol. Thought it was going down!
I've mentioned this a few times already, but there was no "fight" in Hawaii. You see the whole thing abridged on TV. MUTO pecks at Godzilla, flies off, Godzilla gives chase.

If a MUTO had been killed off screen or they cut back to show both combatants beaten and bloodied, I could see it as a valid criticism. As it stands, all the important monster stuff happens on screen.

I guess the one thing about this movie that bugs me more than anything else is that there is not one remotely memorable, witty, funny or clever bit of dialogue in all of the time we spend with the human characters. Not one. Plenty of other things I didn't like about it, but just one "I'm too old for this shit" or "We're gonna need a bigger boat" or SOMETHING would have been nice. But since they chose to have the military drones have absolutely zero personality whatsoever, I guess it was too much to ask. Having some sort of core of 2 or 3 characters with actual personalities would have at least made up a little bit for all of the other missteps. Not much, but a little. Ugh, just still bummed about what a letdown this thing was.

Blader

yeah, I agree with this. I thought the cut from Watanabe to HALO jump worked, but the one at the airport -- especially after seeing Godzilla's foot come down like that -- was pretty annoying.

I guess the one thing about this movie that bugs me more than anything else is that there is not one remotely memorable, witty, funny or clever bit of dialogue in all of the time we spend with the human characters. Not one. Plenty of other things I didn't like about it, but just one "I'm too old for this shit" or "We're gonna need a bigger boat" or SOMETHING would have been nice. But since they chose to have the military drones have absolutely zero personality whatsoever, I guess it was too much to ask. Having some sort of core of 2 or 3 characters with actual personalities would have at least made up a little bit for all of the other missteps. Not much, but a little. Ugh, just still bummed about what a letdown this thing was.

"I guess we're monster hunters now" stands out which is on par with your examples. Hell, it could have been used in trailers if they wanted to sell a different tone.

About the airport scene, we saw the full encounter. They pulled away for comic effect. Seeing that in the flesh as our first taste of monster on monster action would have been flat.

Edit: It seems people wanted more "characters" a la Joe Brody and less humans. The typical dramatic beats and conflicts weren't needed in a movie about humanity's hopelessness and uselessness in such a disaster. I don't need an avatar forcing me to feel a certain way towards the situations on screen. Ford acted exactly as I would have if in those situations... especially without sleep. I wouldn't have practiced faces in he mirror to deliver the perfect expression for specific moments.

Daingurse

I've mentioned this a few times already, but there was no "fight" in Hawaii. You see the whole thing abridged on TV. MUTO pecks at Godzilla, flies off, Godzilla gives chase.

If a MUTO had been killed off screen or they cut back to show both combatants beaten and bloodied, I could see it as a valid criticism. As it stands, all the important monster stuff happens on screen.

I don't care man, I wanted to see that encounter regardless. The TV scene did nothing for me, I'd have preferred a short fight.

I don't care man, I wanted to see that encounter regardless. The TV shit did nothing for me, I'd have preferred a short fight.
the TV thing was a clever tease; showing the full encounter would have been an even bigger bucket of cold water because there was so little to show. The entire point of the sequence was to unveil 1) Godzilla and 2) build up to the final fight.

If the argument is wanting a different sequence of events which involved a big mid-movie battle, then OK. But that's a different argument from wanting to see the full encounter of what was actually in the movie, which would have lasted all of 10 seconds.

Daingurse

the TV thing was a clever tease; showing the full encounter would have been an even bigger bucket of cold water because there was so little to show. The entire point of the sequence was to unveil 1) Godzilla and 2) build up to the final fight.

If the argument is wanting a different sequence of events which involved a big mid-movie battle, then OK. But that's a different argument from wanting to see the full encounter of what was actually in the movie, which would have lasted all of 10 seconds.

I didn't need a big mid-movie battle. A small fight or skirmish, would have been a nice for the overall pacing of the movie. I understand the intentions behind the scene fine, it didn't work for me. It's the only thing that truly irritated me in the film.

a movie about humanity's hopelessness and uselessness in such a disaster.

I'd be more than fine with a movie that took that kind of bleakness and ran with it convincingly, but making the protagonist yet another generic dude who has to overcome adversity and save his generic wife and child probably isn't the best way to achieve that. In Jaws, we cared about Chief Brody getting back to his family because of the wonderful character moments early on, like the dinner scene. Murtaugh saying "I'm too old for this shit" was at least mildly amusing because Danny Glover's charm and the great chemistry he had with Mel Gibson breathed life into him and made us care. There's quite simply no reason aside from a lazy, empty script that Godzilla couldn't have given us at least some memorable character moments in a "mere" monster movie.

If the point was to indeed make a post-human blockbuster (and I don't think this script had enough on its mind to aspire to that), then don't make a guy getting back to his wife and kid the focal point of the human side.

I'm not trying to be a nitpicking ass..I know it's just a summer movie, but I'm tired of that being such an easy excuse for mediocrity in these movies. Really just trying to figure out why it left me so cold, because I so wanted to like it.

orochi91

one cut too many after the hawaii cut. at that point i was ready to see godzilla smash some shit up, after staring at his plates sticking out of the water for what seemed like an eternity. last thing i wanted was more human crap -_-

Nah, the payoff was well worth it. Made the final fight that much more
thrilling. This was handled well.

"I guess we're monster hunters now" stands out which is on par with your examples. Hell, it could have been used in trailers if they wanted to sell a different tone.

That's your idea of a memorable one liner? "I guess we're monster hunters now?"

It's like one step up from Batman's "No, I came back to stop you" line.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
I lol'd when Victor Rasuk showed up, I guess Crisp didn't work out and Cam joined the Army.

Satch

Banned
just got back from seeing this.

godzilla was cool, seeing him fight the other monsters was cool, the sound design was amazing, but the movie was just boring overall. the great stuff that happened at the end couldn't save it in my eyes. trudging through the shallow human stuff to get to the pay-off was an absolute chore. very disappointing movie.

Not sue if this has been posted.. got it from a snippet of interview on Toho Kingdom
Chris Mirjahangir: Will there be an extended cut of this (Godzilla) on the DVD/Blu-ray?

Thomas Tull: Yes

Mirjahangir: Like Peter Jackson style where it's all blended in together?

Tull: Well, that's really Gareth's choice. There are certainly some scenes and things you're gonna see, and it's up to him how he wants to present that to fans.

Bluth54

I didn't need a big mid-movie battle. A small fight or skirmish, would have been a nice for the overall pacing of the movie. I understand the intentions behind the scene fine, it didn't work for me. It's the only thing that truly irritated me in the film.

I totally agree, a 3 or 4 minute fight between the monsters in Hawaii along with showing the Muto destroy Las Vegas for a minute or two probably would of eliminated a lot of complaints people had about the lack of monster action/Godzilla in this film.

I'd be more than fine with a movie that took that kind of bleakness and ran with it convincingly, but making the protagonist yet another generic dude who has to overcome adversity and save his generic wife and child probably isn't the best way to achieve that. In Jaws, we cared about Chief Brody getting back to his family because of the wonderful character moments early on, like the dinner scene. Murtaugh saying "I'm too old for this shit" was at least mildly amusing because Danny Glover's charm and the great chemistry he had with Mel Gibson breathed life into him and made us care. There's quite simply no reason aside from a lazy, empty script that Godzilla couldn't have given us at least some memorable character moments in a "mere" monster movie.

If the point was to indeed make a post-human blockbuster (and I don't think this script had enough on its mind to aspire to that), then don't make a guy getting back to his wife and kid the focal point of the human side.

I'm not trying to be a nitpicking ass..I know it's just a summer movie, but I'm tired of that being such an easy excuse for mediocrity in these movies. Really just trying to figure out why it left me so cold, because I so wanted to like it.
That focal point was Cranston's dying wish and his summoning of Godzilla helped his son do just that.

I loved the cut to Ford's kid watching the attack in Hawaii because it felt like a nod to young G fans everywhere watching the old movies on TV - right down to all the dinosaur toys he had on the table. Definitely one of the film's better moments.

so i saw this movie

this movie sucked balls, covered in shit

let me tell you, about 95% of it is irrelevant filler or as they call it "human element" and its such a shameful thing to do to audiences, none of it is remotely engaging

the only few clips that actually matter in the movie will soon end up on youtube in a couple of weeks

what a tremendous waste of time, its like sitting through a philosphy class

wwm0nkey

Don't know why people care to much about the cut after Hawaii, TV shows the fight didn't last long because the MUTO was like "fuck this shit I just want to get laid"

I mean yeah it was a tease but it wasn't really a big fight.

I still really enjoyed the movie and I'm probably going to see it again on Saturday.

Wurst

I was thoroughly bored by this movie. Greatest moments were the "I smell a fart"-expressions of that japanese scientist. What an aweful character.
There were people next to us that kept saying "now this is a ripoff" when they kept cutting away from the action. I thought it would have been alright, if the human stuff wasn't so boring.

Also, I just realized it came from the writer who wrote Expandables. That's two of my worst cinema expierences ever. Thank you, David Callaham.

To be fair, I liked the effects and the finale.
I did not expect nuclear breath and it was awesome!

GhaleonEB

My biggest irritation is the billboard at the very end of the film. Lots of things, large and small were problematic, but that freaking billboard is what I keep thinking back on and cringing. Not sure WFT they were thinking. For some reason that's the one detail in the film that really bugs me.

Somewhere in the greatest theatre ever.

godzilla-theater-sign-matthew-broderick.jpg

Top Bottom