• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Good science fiction fits the psuedo science in between real world science. It doesn't squash the real science to make room.

They could of easily explained in between real science how the creatures feed. But they choose to ignore the most basic principles of physics and run with it. It's lazy and frustrating to watch.
—__________________—

Good science fiction fits the psuedo science in between real world science. It doesn't squash the real science to make room.

They could of easily explained in between real science how the creatures feed. But they choose to ignore the most basic principles of physics and run with it. It's lazy and frustrating to watch.

I hate to tell you this but in your journey through life your going to find that all the people you feel compelled to share these little "revelations" to DONT CARE.

Jaeger

post-6023-13764596892074.gif

zma1013

In a movie about a 350 ft fire breathing dragon that lives in the crushing depths of the ocean, I'm pretty certain they not only have to "squash" real science, but they have to totally and completely annihilate it at several points.

If they were to inject real science into these movies none of these monsters would exist by virtue of the square cube law.

There's no amount of pseudo-science in the world to overwrite a 350 foot mutated dinosaur that breathes radiation breath. That goes against physics itself.

They made their own rules and stuck to them as long as they don't contradict those rules, there shouldn't be a complaint.

Wow this movie was really really disappointing ...

Also really really really REALLY stupid. It absorbs radiation? ... what the fuck ... err hello science yeah there is the door don't ever come back.

It can be bated by nuclear warheads ... shielded low amounts of radiation ... not the hundreds of commercial nuclear power plants? Not even the nuclear reactor on the aircraft carriers?

This movie was verging on boring, it didn't need the brain dead science and military tech ...
You sound like fun....

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.

Also really really really REALLY stupid. It absorbs radiation? ... what the fuck ... err hello science yeah there is the door don't ever come back.

It can be bated by nuclear warheads ... shielded low amounts of radiation ... not the hundreds of commercial nuclear power plants? Not even the nuclear reactor on the aircraft carriers?

This movie was verging on boring, it didn't need the brain dead science and military tech ...

TD567ai.jpg

Are you new to Godzilla or something?

Sitting next to a reactor won't use up it's radiation. Planting your eggs next to a nuclear weapon won't feed them. You'll get more radiation from the cosmic radiation filtered down from the heavens than you would get sat next to a nuke.
The MUTO wasn't just hanging out next to a normally functioning reactor. the reactor was partially destroyed and had released radioactive particles into the air. That's what it was using as energy.
But the whole 'it used up the radiation' is just bad fucking science.
where are you getting this from?

The MUTO wasn't just hanging out next to a normally functioning reactor. the reactor was partially destroyed and had released radioactive particles into the air. That's what it was using as energy.where are you getting this from?

The fact a fully destroyed nuclear reactor which would have leaked massive amounts of radioactive material all over the city and surrounding area ... disappeared (hence Breaking Bad and Kickass took their masks off before visiting their home.

Then there was the egg nest, all sat their feeding off an intact warhead ... not broken or anything.

It was just plain lazy writing.

TD567ai.jpg

Are you new to Godzilla or something?

Well I saw the other western one in New York. But yes.

I realise now I've probably walked into the equivalent of an anime thread and loudly claimed the art is cheap and crap.

this_guy

Saw it, didn't really like it too much. Ken watanabe's character was horrible. He had maybe two facial expressions the entire movie and barely spoke. He was not believable at all as the scientist in charge and just looked confused. He went full retard.

The fact a fully destroyed nuclear reactor which would have leaked massive amounts of radioactive material all over the city and surrounding area ... disappeared (hence Breaking Bad and Kickass took their masks off before visiting their home.
first youre saying sitting next to a reactor wouldn't yield any energy, now you're saying there would have been too much radiation? I'm trying to follow here
Then there was the egg nest, all sat their feeding off an intact warhead ... not broken or anything.
do they overtly say the eggs are "feeding" on the warhead? It could just as easily be an energy source for after they are hatched

/devilsadvocate

..And how does science explain a 350ft tall, atomic breathing monster?

Seanspeed

Banned
Really was. I don't understand what was so hard about ironing out some of the 'ok that's really dumb' moments in the script. Would have made for a much better movie.

I was still entertained, cuz I like disaster movies, but it was definitely disappointing and missed out on a lot of its potential.

RayMaker

Banned
I take it people are not using black bars for spoilers in here?

I just browsed this page and some one was talking about radiation and did I not want to continue reading in case of spoilers.

strobogo

Banned

Well I saw the other western one in New York. But yes.

I realise now I've probably walked into the equivalent of an anime thread and loudly claimed the art is cheap and crap.

It's because the MUTO
had been feeding on all the radiation and sucked it all up.

zma1013

I take it people are not using black bars for spoilers in here?

I just browsed this page and some one was talking about radiation and did I not want to continue reading in case of spoilers.

I wouldn't read this thread at all if I were you. Spoilers all over the place.

So... who will direct Godzilla 2 now?

Brett Renner?
McG?
Joel Schumacher?
Paul WS Anderson?
Jesus Christ

At this point, just let Del Toro do his PR crossover. The interdimensional aliens have Jaeger tech, they use it combined with their cloning capabilities to partially clone Godzilla and combine it with Jaeger parts, creating Mechagodzilla. Gipsy Danger and Godzilla need to team up to defend the planet from multiple Kaiju and alien controlled Mechagodzilla.

PRs universe already has an alien invasion angle and is goofy anyway, allowing for stuff like King Ghidorah down the line. Godzilla needs a little cheese

duckroll

Del Toro would be a very interesting choice. Honestly can't think of many directors who have been proven on material like this. Well, there's Michael Bay, but.... shit I already hear the mob coming after me! *runs*

Anth1888

On his media run in the UK hes always said he would love to direct the sequel and this is in the last week so surely Star Wars was in the picture. There is no way that Legendary would delay a sequel until SW is finished that's edging 2018.

Really wanted Edwards to do the second film but its Star Wars.

Del Toro is a good shout.

So wait, what? You can't just start off by asking "so who will direct the sequel?" without posting context. I keep this tab open and always refresh and check it. Edwards is out? He's doing Star Wars? I don't care about Star Wars, I want more Godzilla! Edwards' Godzilla.

duckroll

So wait, what? You can't just start off by asking "so who will direct the sequel?" without posting context. I keep this tab open and always refresh and check it. Edwards is out? He's doing Star Wars? I don't care about Star Wars, I want more Godzilla! Edwards' Godzilla.

Yeah, sorry I thought the news would be big enough that everyone would know. Edwards is confirmed for the Dec 2016 Star Wars spin-off film. Doesn't leave any room for Godzilla 2 at all, and there's probably no way Warner will wait 4 years for a sequel.

Yeah, sorry I thought the news would be big enough that everyone would know. Edwards is confirmed for the Dec 2016 Star Wars spin-off film. Doesn't leave any room for Godzilla 2 at all, and there's probably no way Warner will wait 4 years for a sequel.

With the way Warner Bros has been going, it's going to be Godzilla v Pacific Rim: Dawn of Destruction.

Yeah, just read that. Dang. Unless filming for G is sooner than we think?

duckroll

Yeah, just read that. Dang. Unless filming for G is sooner than we think?

I don't think anyone really wants to imagine how the movies would turn out if he's literally shitting out one in a year, before jumping onto another and shitting it out in a year too. That's really unrealistic, and even if it happened both films would suffer massively for it. What would be the point?

Man that sucks. His ideas for the sequel sounded so good and he was literally learning how to direct a true movie for the first time with Godzilla. Imagine cutting your teeth on a enormous blockbuster.

Really disappointing.

strobogo

Banned
Michael Bay Godzilla could be pretty rad. It'd be what people wanted out of this movie. It's not like any of the humans were more dimensional than a normal Bay movie. Fuck it. I'd fully support a Bay Godzilla.

duckroll

Considering the success of the film though, I wonder if Edwards has enough swing (or even any interest) to stick around as an executive producer or something for the sequel, and have some oversight over where it goes and who directs.

Michael Bay Godzilla could be pretty rad. It'd be what people wanted out of this movie. It's not like any of the humans were more dimensional than a normal Bay movie. Fuck it. I'd fully support a Bay Godzilla.

...but I don't wanna see John Turturro pointing out how he's right under Godzilla's scrotum.

Fuck Bay. Crimson Peak is already done filming, once post production is finished del Toro can move on to Godzilla/PR 2 sometime next year

In del Toro we trust.

Soma

I would actually love to see Guillermo del Toro try his hand at a Godzilla film if only to see what kind of monster designs he comes up with. It would be a pretty big difference in terms of atmosphere compared to this film but I know he's got a big appreciation for Godzilla.

Top Bottom