• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

strobogo

Banned
I swear Amazing uses VHS rips for the Godzilla movies they have on Prime. Just straight dogshit quality. Even the cheap, barebones,dual disc releases look significantly better. Even just the format looks fucked. They all look like widescreen that was converted to 4:3 and then stretched back to wide screen.

Jaeger

I swear Amazing uses VHS rips for the Godzilla movies they have on Prime. Just straight dogshit quality. Even the cheap, barebones,dual disc releases look significantly better. Even just the format looks fucked. They all look like widescreen that was converted to 4:3 and then stretched back to wide screen.

Terrible. >< they need to just get all of the rights for all of them and just release a straight BLURAY collection. Id pay $100+ for that.

Raide

Just got back from watching Godzilla.

Loved it. Kinda wish they spent more time dealing with the birth of Godzilla. Also, it seems like the first chunk of the film could have been left out and go straight to the monsters appearing and Godzilla punching them. :D

Overall I enjoyed it and looking forward to more!

strobogo

Banned
Terrible. >< they need to just get all of the rights for all of them and just release a straight BLURAY collection. Id pay $100+ for that.

They're unwatchable. I swear it is legitimately VHS quality. You can probably find actual VHS rips on Youtube of higher quality.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I finally watched the trailers to this movie. I would have liked to see a movie with the same kind of atmosphere as those trailers. Kudos for not spoiling anything in the trailers, though. That's why I usually watch them only after I see the movie.

strobogo

Banned
I finally watched the trailers to this movie. I would have liked to see a movie with the same kind of atmosphere as those trailers. Kudos for not spoiling anything in the trailers, though. That's why I usually watch them only after I see the movie.

It's a weird case where you think the trailers are kind of spoiling stuff, and then you see stuff from the trailer and think "Ok, now we're going to see what the trailer teased", except you don't.

My fav will always be '85. It's a perfect blend of new and old. He's menacing like the original but designed better without veering into cat territory like the later designs.

I think that one's one of the worst.

Godzilla's face is the worst aspect, because they used a large animatronic head for close ups that didn't match the monster suit design for the rest of the scenes. This animatronic head had a large, lumpy, mishapen snout that made Godzilla look like an elephant seal. The mouth has fangs like a vampire, which make no sense and are jutting out of his mouth at an odd angle. I also hate the eyes, which are incredibly large and prominent. Large eyes are wrong for Godzilla, because they work against the sense of scale that you need for the monster. Large eyeballs make the rest of the creature look smaller and more diminutive by comparison, which is not what you should be doing. Also, the irises are small, which leaves a lot of white. This is problematic because the large amount of white just exposes the fact that it's an artificial painted ball in an animatronic head. They make it look like somebody just took two large, polished billiard balls and stuck em into Godzilla's eye sockets.

tNnyX2u.jpg

The positioning of the eyes is also incredibly jarring and awkward. Many have commented that Godzilla 1984 has dead, zombie eyes. This is because the eyes are positioned as looking up, as if they were right about to roll into the back of his head. This does give it a very dead look, which I intensely disliked. Godzilla is a man in a rubber suit, but he should look like a real, living breathing animal. The odd eyes just made it look dead, or an artificial automaton, which hardly seems desirable.

FTLZ3Ur.png

This was the most disappointing movie I've seen since the phantom menace. How in the fuck do you make a Godzilla movie that the title character is barely in for more than 10 minutes. Is Edwards nervous around special effects or something? Why does it cut away literally every single time an exciting fight is about to start? It makes the audience feel cheated. I understand in the first and second act you want to build tension and not reveal too much too fast but what this movie did was totally absurd.

On top of that, what little we see of the CGI monsters was awful with the CG looking only a hair better than it did in The Mummy Returns back in 2000.

All the shit the '98 film gets and its still way more enjoyable and entertaining than this crap fest was.

Jaeger

This was the most disappointing movie I've seen since the phantom menace. How in the fuck do you make a Godzilla movie that the title character is barely in for more than 10 minutes. Is Edwards nervous around special effects or something? Why does it cut away literally every single time an exciting fight is about to start? It makes the audience feel cheated. I understand in the first and second act you want to build tension and not reveal too much too fast but what this movie did was totally absurd.

On top of that, what little we see of the CGI monsters was awful with the CG looking only a hair better than it did in The Mummy Returns back in 2000.

All the shit the '98 film gets and its still way more enjoyable and entertaining than this crap fest was.

Another person disappointed with Edwards making a Godzilla film proper, and not a Jurassic Park wanna be or Pacific Rim 2 film.

Konka

Banned

He has more screen time than he does in Godzilla 1954. You went in expecting something that isn't a Godzilla movie.

Another person disappointed with Edwards making a Godzilla film proper, and not a Jurassic Park wanna be or Pacific Rim 2 film.

"Godzilla film proper" lmao get serious. If your referring to the 1950s original the reason they didn't show much of the monster is because of the lack of good special effects at the time and besides like 90% of the Godzilla movies have nice, good clear and satisfying monster battling (may look goofy by todays standards but they were battles none the less). People are paying for a movie called Godzilla they want the movie to be about the monster and seeing him rampage with the army helpless to stop him and duking it out with other monsters. We don't want a movie where 90% of it is staring at some scared jar heads face for 2 hours with only glimpses of battles. This is called Godzilla not Cloverfield.

"Godzilla film proper" lmao get serious. If your referring to the 1950s original the reason they didn't show much of the monster is because of the lack of good special effects at the time and besides like 90% of the Godzilla movies have nice, good clear and satisfying monster battling (may look goofy by todays standards but they were battles none the less). People are paying for a movie called Godzilla they want the movie to be about the monster and seeing him rampage with the army helpless to stop him and duking it out with other monsters. We don't want a movie where 90% of it is staring at some scared jar heads face for 2 hours with only glimpses of battles. This is called Godzilla not Cloverfield.

I don't think you've ever seen another Godzilla film in your life.

Konka

Banned
I would hope he would have more screen time than a 1950s movie that was trying to mask bad special effects. Perhaps you need to watch more Godzilla movies

It looked pretty bad in theaters. it could also just be that the Mutos were such an uninspired design and looked too simple.

Dude you're off your rocker.

I don't think you've ever seen another Godzilla film in your life.

Putting it nicely.

A_Gorilla

Banned
I have a gut feeling the most vehement critics of this film have never seen another Godzilla film except maybe Zilla 98 and that Crap Fest "Final Wars."

Just a feeling...

watershed

Banned

Careful, you may be going blind.

Konka

Banned
I've seen more than half of them.

I suggest you go back and watch:

medium.jpg

godzilla-vs-mechagodzilla-vhs.jpg

godzilla2000.jpg

Godzilla_(1998_Movie_Poster).jpg

All of those movies, both Japanese and american, actually show Godzilla fighting and destroying shit.

Yes lets post pictures of Godzilla movies that were created for when they started targeting 10 year old boys.

You're really not helping your credibility with those last two...

I really don't care what a handful of loud mouths on the internet say. They are still godzilla films and they have their fans and the majority of Godzilla movies contain lots of action and don't cheat the audience like the new one did.

Konka

Banned
I really don't care what a handful of loud mouths on the internet say. They are still godzilla films and they have their fans and the majority of Godzilla movies contain lots of action and don't cheat the audience like the new one did.

Godzilla shouldn't be an action movie. You're basing your expectation on shit movies.

Jaeger

That's not entirely true, though. And you don't have to start name calling.

Several of the strongest films have slow buildups. Or don't even feature the big battle of vs whomever until halfway through the movie. 98 is not one of them. It fought nothing and ran most of the film. So that's one reason I don't know where you are coming from.

A_Gorilla

Banned

Yeah, you clearly have not seen the original (pre-1970) films.

And I'd be careful with your name calling, people have been banned for less here.

Konka

Banned
That's not entirely true, though. And you don't have to start name calling.

Several of the strongest films have slow buildups. Or don't even feature the big battle of vs whomever until halfway through the movie. 98 is not one of them. It fought nothing and ran most of the film. So that's one reason I don't know where you are coming from.

Remember when Jaws battles other giant sharks early in the movie?

This was the most disappointing movie I've seen since the phantom menace.

the CG looking only a hair better than it did in The Mummy Returns back in 2000.

I really don't care what a handful of loud mouths on the internet say.
If you were actually interested in discussing the movie, this was a funny way to go about it.

-Deimos

Just watched it. It was great but didn't live up to my expectations. The entire movie felt really slow and it seemed like there was a lot of filler between major events.

And the fucking trailers spoiled everything. Every major event and action scene from beginning to end were in the trailers. They were basically highlights from the entire movie minus the filler.

Konka

Banned
Just watched it. It was great but didn't live up to my expectations. The entire movie felt really slow and it seemed like there was a lot of filler between major events.

And the fucking trailers spoiled everything. Every major event and action scene from beginning to end were in the trailers. They were basically highlights from the entire movie minus the filler.

I thought there was zero filler. I'd like for you to point out all the scenes that were filler that didn't advance the story.

Jaeger

Eh. Don't like seeing people get banned, even if its not perma'd.

I think we can lock down the main issue with some of the more vocal detractors is that they didn't quite understand what Gareth Edwards was trying to do with this film. And how the original films (and lauded Disaster films in general) were the major inspiration.

This film was not supposed to be a balls to the wall action film with 30 monsters duking it out on top of buildings. This was also a reboot/origin film, so it needed to set the grounds for a franchise, where the 98 attempt failed (which people magically forget).

-Deimos

I thought there was zero filler. I'd like for you to point out all the scenes that were filler that didn't advance the story.

Filler was the wrong word. Felt more like less significant events lasted longer than they should have and left less time to expand on the story.

this man gets it

this movie was a pretentious piece of crap and the only people who deserve credit are the concept artists/designers of the monster

gareth edwards thinks to himself hes fulfilled a real life tone in the movie when its really a roland emmerich world with a hint of m night

at least if michael bay directed this there'd be a greater spectacle like in pacific rim

i think alfonso cuaron would make a great godzilla movie, i can't believe g edwards is getting more work what a joke

Just got back from seeing this again. Really enjoy it.

As weird as it is, watching this movie reminded me a lot of being over at my grandmothers house and watching all the old Godzilla movies over there. Might be why I enjoyed it so much.

Konka

Banned
this man gets it

this movie was a pretentious piece of crap and the only people who deserve credit are the concept artists/designers of the monster

gareth edwards thinks to himself hes fulfilled a real life tone in the movie when its really a roland emmerich world with a hint of m night

at least if michael bay directed this there'd be a greater spectacle like in pacific rim

i think alfonso cuaron would make a great godzilla movie, i can't believe g edwards is getting more work what a joke

Yeah, the banned guy gets it. My opinion is right!

Ambient80

Just got out of the theater.

I thought it was great! Loved the effects, although Godzilla looked a little odd. Not quite sure what it was. The CGI was good, but his design just seemed weird to me.
Loved the Mutos, for some reason my first reaction on seeing them was "Cloverfield had sex with a spider, and their spawn somehow had wings."

One small gripe, shouldn't the nuke have basically destroyed the city? I mean the timer was at five minutes before he was lifted off the ship, so it's not like the boat made it particularly far before it blew. Dunno, I would have expected them to defuse it before letting it blow and destroying... nothing.

Dunno if it needed to be spoilered or not but I thought I'd be on the safe side.

Livingskeletons

If I pulled that off, would you die?
Just saw it an hour ago.

The monster stuff was great. I do think MUTO's design was kinda bland but it worked.
Godzilla's design was awesome, loved that grizzly bear look.

The human side (outside of Cranston) did nothing for me. Didn't feel anything toward the other characters, they were just kinda there.

I don't think anything in the movie topped the first fight scene in Pacific Rim.

I think that one's one of the worst.

Godzilla's face is the worst aspect, because they used a large animatronic head for close ups that didn't match the monster suit design for the rest of the scenes. This animatronic head had a large, lumpy, mishapen snout that made Godzilla look like an elephant seal. The mouth has fangs like a vampire, which make no sense and are jutting out of his mouth at an odd angle. I also hate the eyes, which are incredibly large and prominent. Large eyes are wrong for Godzilla, because they work against the sense of scale that you need for the monster. Large eyeballs make the rest of the creature look smaller and more diminutive by comparison, which is not what you should be doing. Also, the irises are small, which leaves a lot of white. This is problematic because the large amount of white just exposes the fact that it's an artificial painted ball in an animatronic head. They make it look like somebody just took two large, polished billiard balls and stuck em into Godzilla's eye sockets.

tNnyX2u.jpg

The positioning of the eyes is also incredibly jarring and awkward. Many have commented that Godzilla 1984 has dead, zombie eyes. This is because the eyes are positioned as looking up, as if they were right about to roll into the back of his head. This does give it a very dead look, which I intensely disliked. Godzilla is a man in a rubber suit, but he should look like a real, living breathing animal. The odd eyes just made it look dead, or an artificial automaton, which hardly seems desirable.

FTLZ3Ur.png

I see what you're saying. Nothing tops the original's non-fanged teeth, smaller eyes and non-lumpy snout...

K4SMP2i.jpg

f2nXMZP.jpg

uDjl9V7.jpg

=P

Top Bottom