• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Saw it, it's hot garbage. Everything sucked, especially the ending.

It was cheese/corny as hell. Laughed at the movie, rather than ever with it.

Anth0ny

So Red Letter Media has their take on Godzilla up:

Half in the bag on Godzilla

Can't say I disagree with them on any of it. This is how they feel about Godzilla '98:

iY1dUQBFtf2ve.gif

Great review from RLM, as per usual. Agree 100% with Jay.

sleepykyo

Saw it. Shame the rest of the movie couldn't live up to the opening credits. Overall, a lot of the teases were pretty impressive but a little more monster on monster would have been a welcome break from stuff like the kid on the train. Scratch that, cutting that subplot would have worked as well.

JimiNutz

Banned
the way he carries himself is the obvious one

standing tall in such a perfect posture and furrowing his eyebrows like a meatheaded gymrat who thinks he can eat 10 hamburgers in one sitting

hes like a younger, taller mark wahlberg in the happening

Perfect posture? Meatheaded gymrat?
That has gotta be a joke.

Would love to see what you look like. I have this pictute in my head of a small angry effeminate hipster looking dude with some kind of beard and flannel shirt.
Post would be 100 times funnier if that's what you actually looked like haha.

Shun

Just got back from it and like did Shaquille O'Neal play Godzilla or something?

They did the daikaiju quite well, much better than the mess Pacific Rim was.

I just felt that the pacing of the film was really bad. It's a decent film, I'd say it'd be a 7/10 or something, but compared to what I grew up with and saw as a kid and how it's portrayed in this movie, it came off as disappointing.

It was a good starting point, but again the whole plot and pacing was just so bad in the film. I'm glad I ended up watching this before X-Men.

You just never got a good time getting to bond with the characters and the film itself was really just fanservice in the last 20ish minutes after the dragging first 3/4.

artist

Banned

standing tall in such a perfect posture and furrowing his eyebrows like a meatheaded gymrat who thinks he can eat 10 hamburgers in one sitting

Holy shit! Dat anger.

edit: Oh it's bangladesh, par for the course.

Really enjoyed the film. I was a bit worried after hearing so many people say it was boring, but after seeing it,I dont understant that at all. I was thoroughly entertained. The human seens were good, the Godzilla scenes were fucking amazing.

Qvoth

just came home from watching this
safe to say i liked pacific rim a lot more

i just don't like the MUTOs' design
needed more kaiju battles

Majine

Banned
All the human elements fell flat to me. 10 minutes in, and we're supposed to feel sympathy? Also, the "son" is the most boring character I've seen in quite some time. I don't even remember his name.

I guess I'm asking for something that is not feasible for a Godzilla movie...

Qvoth

how are the japanese reviewing this show?

oh and i'm very surprised they took out bryan so soon, thought he would be an important character throughout

and what's this i hear about asian only after credits scene? is that true? i always check out mediastinger for my during/after credits info but that site says there's nothing

moggio

Banned

Would love to see what you look like. I have this pictute in my head of a small angry effeminate hipster looking dude with some kind of beard and flannel shirt.

Not everyone wants to look like a walking hemorrhoid, man.

Film would have been better if Aaron Taylor-Johnson took his shirt off.

Also his pants.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Quick question - family cinema outing this weekend - Godzilla a good choice? (Other option is x-men). Kids are 10 and 12, plus my wife is Japanese and is curious about whether they've treated Godzilla better this time than the Emmerich one. Everyone enjoyed Pacific Rim.

Just wary if it is too slow or meandering to keep the kids entertained.

If they were good with Pacific Rim, i think theyd be ok with this. It might be slightly scary/intense and does have slow sections but it really depends on the kid. Personally, I would have loved the hell out of this at 10 years old.

X-Men is fantastic but I think its a little more violent too, some of the scenes are pretty brutal for PG-13. Godzilla is more of a disaster movie than anything.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Quick question - family cinema outing this weekend - Godzilla a good choice? (Other option is x-men). Kids are 10 and 12, plus my wife is Japanese and is curious about whether they've treated Godzilla better this time than the Emmerich one. Everyone enjoyed Pacific Rim.

Just wary if it is too slow or meandering to keep the kids entertained.
X-men is dark, lots of cursing, and explicit violence (impaling etc.). Some scenes of light eroticism are also present.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If they were good with Pacific Rim, i think theyd be ok with this. It might be slightly scary/intense and does have slow sections but it really depends on the kid. Personally, I would have loved the hell out of this at 10 years old.

X-Men is fantastic but I think its a little more violent too, some of the scenes are pretty brutal for PG-13. Godzilla is more of a disaster movie than anything.

X-men is dark, lots of cursing, and explicit violence (impaling etc.). Some scenes of light eroticism are also present.

Damn, sounds like x-men will need prescreening. Will probably go alone to check it out first, thanks. Had recorded the earlier movies from TV to catch up, think they're mostly ok (watched x-men, still have X2 and first class to go)
Edit: checked BBFC website, xmen has a 'fuck' in it which makes me not want to take my kids :( of course they'll have heard that in the schoolyard, but doesn't mean I want them to hear it on a family trip. Probably unnecessary too, studio trying to appeal to teenagers..

Sounds like Godzilla is the one to watch then :)

Reminds me how much family movies died out. Its Pixar, Dreamworks Animation and nothing else at this point.

Yeah, PG is really pushed these days, makes it difficult to know what is suitable or not

BumRush

Haha wait what? Joke post?

Had recorded the earlier movies from TV to catch up, think they're mostly ok (watched x-men, still have X2 and first class to go)
Just as a reference, X1 is really tame compared to Days of Future Past. The new movie has a hard edge even if it is mostly bloodless. I appreciated it as a fan but I probably wouldn't recommend it for children.
Haha wait what? Joke post?
it's bangladesh, man

gabbo

All the human elements fell flat to me. 10 minutes in, and we're supposed to feel sympathy? Also, the "son" is the most boring character I've seen in quite some time. I don't even remember his name.

I guess I'm asking for something that is not feasible for a Godzilla movie...

I loved the film but realize it's basically two movies stuck together. The Bryan Cranston movies that takes a a deeper look at the human element to this, and then there's the movie movie with his son where more or less all of the other characters are lacking and there are awesome giant monsters destroying the US west coast. All Edwards would have to do is find a)the middle ground there, b)no more Kickass.

My fav will always be '85. It's a perfect blend of new and old. He's menacing like the original but designed better without veering into cat territory like the later designs.

SilverBaron

Neo Member
I want to see a brand new monster for the sequel, not like the MUTOs, those just felt like scrub monsters, and I don't really wanna see a "modern" Gigan or Rodan or something, just something brand new that can stand toe to toe with Godzilla

Not a joke

The guy looks and acts like a supermodel

You wanna make a relatable Godzilla movie that feels legit you don't cast a girly faced supermodel as the main lead

Don't matter what I look like wtf im not in the movie lol

The Cranston stuff was great (as he was the only character with interesting motivation and an actual story), and the ending fight was great. Everything else was pretty boring. They need to stop focusing on the human element so much. Or if they do, focus on people being totally ineffective and just trying to survive, not on stopping the monsters.

Jaeger

The Cranston stuff was great (as he was the only character with interesting motivation and an actual story), and the ending fight was great. Everything else was pretty boring. They need to stop focusing on the human element so much. Or if they do, focus on people being totally ineffective and just trying to survive, not on stopping the monsters.

This is what I don't understand. You may have predisposition towards that actor, but saying he had no motivation to be there is absurd, and not factual in the least bit.

Top Bottom