• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

I don't like the original either. But it was 1954, so it's easier to forgive something for being shabby back then.

Can't really excuse that for something made in 1984.

No, I know. I happen to love the original (cookie monster and all) as well but I'm sure 1984 Japan movie studios weren't miracle makers either. What they had to work with looked great.

Excusing a 54 puppet but lambasting an 84 animatronic is silly.

Aw heck no. I know your not dissing the 1954 suit. Yeah, the original puppet head of the original sucked but the suit still has the honor of being the greatest Godzilla design.

Even the puppet gave one of best shots in the series.
00094b81_medium.jpeg

390238-285b3302-dfbe-11e3-bb42-3f229e599f4e.jpg

gojiro3-large.jpg

strobogo

Banned
iTd36OyfH6SpM.gif

Suit is good. Provided some quality effects in this particular good. The face was..iffy in a number of shots, but the body was rad.

Aw heck no. I know your not dissing the 1954 suit. Yeah, the original puppet head of the original sucked but the suit still has the honor of being the greatest Godzilla design.

Even the puppet gave one of best shots in the series.
00094b81_medium.jpeg

390238-285b3302-dfbe-11e3-bb42-3f229e599f4e.jpg

gojiro3-large.jpg

Not at all. Just facetiously mocking another poster and showing how similar it is to the 84. 54 is my next favorite design behind 84. I love when they show him rising out of the water (even if they reuse it a few times in the film lol).

One small gripe, shouldn't the nuke have basically destroyed the city? I mean the timer was at five minutes before he was lifted off the ship, so it's not like the boat made it particularly far before it blew. Dunno, I would have expected them to defuse it before letting it blow and destroying... nothing.

Dunno if it needed to be spoilered or not but I thought I'd be on the safe side.

Tactical nuke versus strategic. Not all warheads are designed to take out cities - the smaller ones are for local theater destruction.

Jedi2016

Tactical nuke versus strategic. Not all warheads are designed to take out cities - the smaller ones are for local theater destruction.
Well, they did describe it as being in the megaton range, making the nukes in the 50s "look like firecrackers". As far as I know, there's no way to make a really powerful bomb only work in a very small area... you have to make the bomb smaller.

That said, the actual range of devastation for most bombs is actually pretty small, a lot smaller than people think. It would take a bomb larger than any we have to actually destroy all of San Francisco, even with a direct strike. (Edit:) Looking at the map, you would have a lot of fallout hitting the city, though, what with the offshore winds and all.

As for the film, it probably just boils down to "Eh, it's far enough.. the audience will buy it."

strobogo

Banned
I think the Mechagodzilla II Godzilla was the best Heisei suit. I'll always have a special place in my heart for 84 though

My favorites are the general Heisei era suit and the Godzilla 2000 suit. The rest in the ME are garbage, and while I don't really dislike most of the Showa suits, the Heisei era suit is what I think of when I think of Godzilla.

Serrato

Just saw the movie.

Godzilla Design was A-OK. Awesome.

The effects were good. The final fight was also pretty cool.

and then...

My main gripe is that we barely see him, the most interesting character dies at the beginning, the protagonist is boring and if you remove him from the movie, NOTHING CHANGE. Also, each time there is a kaiju fight, until it's the end of the movie the movie always change scene to something else. GOD damnit that's not what I want to see! The millitary were stupid for the most part - as always -. The main problem : the focus on other characters than the Kaiju themselves!

Just saw the movie.

and then...

My main gripe is that we barely see him, the most interesting character dies at the beginning, the protagonist is boring and if you remove him from the movie, NOTHING CHANGE. Also, each time there is a kaiju fight, until it's the end of the movie the movie always change scene to something else. GOD damnit that's not what I want to see! The millitary were stupid for the most part - as always -. The main problem : the focus on other characters than the Kaiju themselves!
Maybe you're just impatient and don't understand the message about human beings

There is a lot going on with Aaron Taylor Johnsons character, lots of depth you aren't paying any attention to

My favorites are the general Heisei era suit and the Godzilla 2000 suit. The rest in the ME are garbage, and while I don't really dislike most of the Showa suits, the Heisei era suit is what I think of when I think of Godzilla.
yeah. Mid-90s suit is the quintessential Godzilla for me. He got kinda bloated in SG, I prefer the slightly slimmer Mothra/MGII version. I really like the Megalon/MG/ToMG suit too, but that's probably more for nostalgia reasons.

Well, they did describe it as being in the megaton range, making the nukes in the 50s "look like firecrackers". As far as I know, there's no way to make a really powerful bomb only work in a very small area... you have to make the bomb smaller.

That said, the actual range of devastation for most bombs is actually pretty small, a lot smaller than people think. It would take a bomb larger than any we have to actually destroy all of San Francisco, even with a direct strike. (Edit:) Looking at the map, you would have a lot of fallout hitting the city, though, what with the offshore winds and all.

As for the film, it probably just boils down to "Eh, it's far enough.. the audience will buy it."
Or the MUTO eggs somehow lowered the tonnage of the bomb by absorbing the radiation. Maybe they damaged it so only the lower yield fission portion exploded and the fusion portion wasn't ignited.

Just saw the movie.

and then...

Agree 100%, though I didn't even think the final fight was anything special. So I guess I agree more like 90%.

And yes, I've seen/own most of the old ones and think the 98 one is a bigger POS than this one. But the gulf isn't as large as I was hoping/expecting. I gave every benefit of the doubt because I really wanted this one to deliver on the immense promise of the trailers. No dice. I try and try to think of one, JUST one post-Cranston exchange between any of the human characters that was in any way memorable or will resonate past next week, and I'm coming up empty.

I really want to watch cloverfield after seeing this film and hearing how much better cloverfield is.
Your milage is going to vary based upon how you feel about...

1)Shaky Cam and "found footage"
2)The characters (which some find annoying)
3)The monster design

I liked Cloverfield overall but disliked the monster design.

Ambient80

Or the MUTO eggs somehow lowered the tonnage of the bomb by absorbing the radiation. Maybe they damaged it so only the lower yield fission portion exploded and the fusion portion wasn't ignited.

Ahhh, yes that is something I did not consider. I'll allow it! :)

/head canon written

A_Gorilla

Banned
Gareth edwards "human element" is handled a lot more solidly in cloverfield

Hell, it's even better in transformers tbh

Cloverfield, aka "20 minutes with rich douchebags that make stupid descisions?"

Yeah, I don't think so.

I like Cloverfield, but I found the humans in it insufferable.

You're so bitter. He didn't add a human element in the same vein of every other hollywood movie. The hero didn't do anything extraordinary which is probably why you keep coming in here to complain (sad). It was to show how useless humanity is when faced against nature. That whole "arrogance of man" thing, you know? But his posture... I get it.

My absolute favorite suit is the one in Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974).

I really hated the '85/Returns suit. It looked so bulbous. The KG through MG2 suits were pretty good too. The Millennium design was great in all four films it was in, though the chest wound in Tokyo SOS was distracting. I didn't like the empty eyes of the GMK suit and he had thunder thighs again. Final Wars was good, but the face was a bit too mammalian.

The original is great, the one in Mothra vs. Godzilla is great, but the rest of the Showa either were just okay or bad (Son of Godzilla).

Serrato

Maybe you're just impatient and don't understand the message about human beings

There is a lot going on with Aaron Taylor Johnsons character, lots of depth you aren't paying any attention to

I had to read previous post to see the obvious sarcasm. haha!

But ya, Aaron was so borring. No nead for overacting or anything... but why did we need to follow him.. why not just, I don't know.. follow the scientist/millitary that try to kick the crap of the 2 MUTOs, I don't know...

gabbo

For what it's worth, he got the human element down perfectly in Monsters (yeah, I love that film, so I'm going to take some flack I'm sure), and had Cranston not died [that early on], I think it would have made Johnson's performance a little more believable. Like have him die IN San Fransisco after the three start battling (power outage in hospital or something of that nature). It wasn't terrible, there just wasn't a lot of it. Both your protagonist's parents have been killed due to giant radioactive mutants, why wouldn't you build on that?

pestul

I saw Godzilla with my Father on Friday. We both enjoyed it, but after seeing it I still don't understand the comparisons to 54'. Godzilla is in a lot more of the original and much sooner as well. Still, I'm glad there will be a sequel because I think they can make a much better film.

I don't know if this best place to bring it up but I didn't know Edwards also directed Monsters. I've been wanting to check that out for a while. Is it worth it guys?

You're so bitter. He didn't add a human element in the same vein of every other hollywood movie. The hero didn't do anything extraordinary which is probably why you keep coming in here to complain (sad). It was to show how useless humanity is when faced against nature. That whole "arrogance of man" thing, you know? But his posture... I get it.

i have a right to be bitter, and humanity is not useless in these sort of events but supermodels like aaron taylor johnson sure are

science and technology is not useless and it would have been a great element to emphasize scientists involvement for this "serious" approach but instead we get to follow around kickass with his phony concerned face through the whole thing

that arrogance of man thing is complete bullshit, we have the ability to manipulate nature at an atomic level youre goddamn we're arrogant but maybe not as much as that fucking posture

this movie had the chance to be great but instead we get this

For what it's worth, he got the human element down perfectly in Monsters (yeah, I love that film, so I'm going to take some flack I'm sure), and had Cranston not died [that early on], I think it would have made Johnson's performance a little more believable. Like have him die IN San Fransisco after the three start battling (power outage in hospital or something of that nature). It wasn't terrible, there just wasn't a lot of it. Both your protagonist's parents have been killed due to giant radioactive mutants, why wouldn't you build on that?
They took his parents, he took their babies. Poetic in a way, especially when both of Ford's parents' last words dealt with "take care of the family".

i have a right to be bitter, and humanity is not useless in these sort of events but supermodels like aaron taylor johnson sure are

science and technology is not useless and it would have been a great element to emphasize scientists involvement for this "serious" approach but instead we get to follow around kickass with his phony concerned face through the whole thing

that arrogance of man thing is complete bullshit, we have the ability to manipulate nature at an atomic level youre goddamn we're arrogant but maybe not as much as that fucking posture
haha, now I'm catching on to your character.

In this movie, the military was blind thanks to the emp, the bombs were stolen and didn't work, and had completely ineffective weaponry. So yes, they were useless in this film.

So the next hurricane/earthquake/tsunami can be voided by science?

haha, now I'm catching on to your character.

In this movie, the military was blind thanks to the emp, the bombs were stolen and didn't work, and had completely ineffective weaponry. So yes, they were useless in this film.

So the next hurricane/earthquake/tsunami can be voided by science?

i assure you godzilla is not a gaseous substance

it also isn't out of complete control like an earthquake

Jaeger

That troll account.

Anyway, relevant to this thread; (spoilers)

This needs to be said:
Some people, specifically those who have access to the internet and fingers, have been posting about Aaron Taylor-Johnson’s role in the movie, and how he didn’t show a lot of emotion.
When you join the military, you give up everything you are, everything you own, and everything you were to become part of something greater. You become part of that something to protect the rights and lives of an entire country, who use those rights to complain about movies. You use Saving Private Ryan as an example? Those are MOVIES, by ACTORS, not real military personnel. I am not saying soldiers are emotionless machines. I’m saying they are dedicated, focused members of a team who are defending a way of life through blood, tears, and sacrifice.
Hearing an internet who hasn’t served in the military whine about “show more emotion” make my head hurt.
Also, people who go out and lose control of their emotions in a firefight get killed. Plain and simple.
Focus. Control. Dedication. These are the hallmarks of a paladin who gave up everything to serve a concept bigger than themselves. Leaky eyed pontificators tend to get dead.
If you didn’t actually serve in the military, you can have your opinion, but you’re wrong. No, no, it’s ok! You still get to post to the internet and include your thesis in your fanfic, no one is taking away your first amendment rights.
You’re just still wrong.
Consider this too. He JUST got home for a few hours after being gone for months. He flies out to Japan to pick up a father he gave up on, then watches him die during OMGMONSTERS. No sleep back to Hawaii, only gets rest after passing out after jumping off a bridge, then right into OMGMONSTERS. No time for crying. No time to process. No time to give a big dramatic speech. Only time to act.
That’s a soldier.
That’s a boss.
Losing control of your emotions gets you killed, and he dedicated himself to saving his family.

http://scgodzillaguy.tumblr.com/post/86036846209/godzilla-2014-aaron-taylor-johnson

look like you are stuck in an elevator full of people and have to take a shit really bad

bam you are now a soldier

just do that the whole movie and win an emmy

Zabka

Looking back, I'm glad the movie did
the now mandatory giant explosion at the end of the film Dark Knight Rises style instead of the "fly a giant bomb at the bad guys" ending everything else uses.

It was a bold break from convention.

Serrato

...Naaaaaaaawwwww. I can care about soldiers in movies. Like in Black Hawk Down.

Aaron Taylor-Johnson was just not that interesting.

Yup, I just felt that I was following a guy that role in the movie was pointless. Either information wise, plot wise, action wise, anything wise really. Just give me more exposition and info through the millitary and the japanese scientist than I guy with '' a MISSION''. following no names guy against force of natures would have been way more effective IMO.

We are all equals in death.

CD'S BAR

Anyone else hope they get a different composer for the sequels, or at least convince desplat to tone it down a little? There were four brilliant parts of the score imo, and the rest was either bombastic and distracting or served to only cheese up what was happening on screen. The stand out good moments to me were:

-the title card where it reads Godzilla against the white background (the intro before this, while cool with all the redacted stuff, had pretty generic adventure-time music...really could have gone a long way to establish a different tone for the film if they had gone with something a bit more eerie and subdued considering it's the very first thing you hear.)

-the solo piano chords when G appears in chinatown (my favorite moment!)

- the desolate piano and high strings when soldier boy is drifting away on the ferry

-and finally the high string ascent to silence as G sinks back to the ocean at the end. very cool.

-kudos for keeping the ligeti requiem at the halo jump, but that track is so damn cool it actually diminishes the rest of the score a bit lol.

i propose for the sequel to mostly ignore this one as much as it can

hire alfonso cuaron to direct and bring in the writers from children of men

either omit the soundtrack altogether or do something VERY subtle about it

i propose for the sequel to mostly ignore this one as much as it can

hire alfonso cuaron to direct and bring in the writers from children of men

either omit the soundtrack altogether or do something VERY subtle about it

The tone of the original teaser we saw, the concept trailer, was amazing. Really had a sense dread and "alien" creatures. It was frightening.

Top Bottom