• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

One of my favorite shots in the entire film:
When the male and female MUTO first meet. The male bows before the female, and the female emerges from the smoke of rubble. You can only see her head, but she looks absolutely menacing.

Loved the movie, but one thing bothered me (cue chorus of "just one thing?):
Why did the military start firing on Godzilla as he was coming up and through the bridge in San Francisco? Wasn't the entire plan to bring Godzilla to the MUTOs and let them duke it out? They knew that he was there to squash the bugs, so why are wildly shooting at him?
because just being there was threatening the lives of people on the bridge. Obviously that wasn't the plan to open fire but shit changed when Godzilla decided to go through the bridge.
For that matter, why did they wait so long to start an evacuation of the city? They knew, like, a solid day earlier at least that the three monsters were going to converge there. There was no reason for that bridge to be full of buses.
evacuating massive amounts of people presents numerous logistical issues. Expecting them to clear out San Francisco in 24 hours isn't realistic, there are plenty of real world examples you could use as evidence, see: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans.

Calamari41

41 > 38
because he threatening the lives of people on the bridge? Obviously that wasn't the plan but shit changed when Godzilla decided to go through the bridge. evacuating massive amounts of people is a huge logistical issue. Expecting them to clear out San Francisco in 24 hours isn't realistic, there are plenty of real world examples you could use as evidence, see: Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans.

Spoilered just in case:

But they all know that they're not going to do anything to him by shooting at him, except draw his attention and wrath toward themselves. Which is what happened. He went through the bridge anyway.

And as for evacuations taking time, yeah that's definitely true, but they didn't even start loading buses until like fifteen minutes before Godzilla showed up. Nobody seemed to be evacuating before that series of scenes. Maybe it was just the hospital that got a late start.

When the male and female MUTO first meet. The male bows before the female, and the female emerges from the smoke of rubble. You can only see her head, but she looks absolutely menacing.

That was a great one. I also loved the shot of the
MUTOs sharing the missile.
It was a surprisingly tender scene.

Konka

Banned
Just saw it. Loved it. Pacing was amazing, never got overly sappy and I loved the extended periods without much dialogue.

Delio

So I kinda want this to be a thing

zmuto_gigan_by_dopepope-d7jcxnh.jpg

Omgggg I want this to be REAL.

That was a great scene.

In fact the movie had a lot of beautiful scenes.

Of course the
Godzilla in smoke scene was amazing. The MUTO standing over the boat at the end was also great...

Gorgeously shot movie.

Spoilered just in case:

But they all know that they're not going to do anything to him by shooting at him, except draw his attention and wrath toward themselves. Which is what happened. He went through the bridge anyway.

And as for evacuations taking time, yeah that's definitely true, but they didn't even start loading buses until like fifteen minutes before Godzilla showed up. Nobody seemed to be evacuating before that series of scenes. Maybe it was just the hospital that got a late start.
I attribute the first part to the military panicking. And there was definitely miscommunication going on between the ships and soldiers on the bridge.

Clearing out an entire area of 8.5 million people would be such a clusterfuck, you're going to have stragglers and even those who planned ahead would have issues escaping in time. I thought that part was pretty realistic, if anything. Or maybe Chris Christie was in charge of bridge traffic. Who knows

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Loved the movie, but one thing bothered me (cue chorus of "just one thing?):
Why did the military start firing on Godzilla as he was coming up and through the bridge in San Francisco?

Never seen a proper Godzilla movie before, and now I absolutely can't wait for the sequels.

Pretty sure it's because one of destroyers panicked and started shooting at Big G, which made him/her panic. So the rest of the Navy began firing at it.

Konka

Banned
Jesus what is with the complaining about this movie. Godzilla had as much screen time as he did in the 1954 original easily, I feel like you all much have been expecting something different but it nailed the tone perfectly for me.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Military panicking definitely sounds right. I had totally forgot about
that destroyer firing one off
. Thanks guys, the movie is now nearly perfect in my eyes!

And yeah, you're right about the evacuation. I guess what really threw me off was
the main guy calling his wife like twice and telling her that he would be there soon to "get her." Why not say "hey it would be pretty wise to get the fuck out of there while you can"?

Jesus what is with the complaining about this movie. Godzilla had as much screen time as he did in the 1954 original easily, I feel like you all much have been expecting something different but it nailed the tone perfectly for me.

The problem is that the trailers all had a completely different tone than the final film. Stop acting like we should have expected a movie as cheesy and as lame as the film we got.

Konka

Banned
The problem is that the trailers all had a completely different tone than the final film. Stop acting like we should have expected a movie as cheesy and as lame as the film we got.

I'm not sure what else you would have wanted? I certainly wasn't expecting an all out monster melee.

It had the tone of a Godzilla move.

I'm not sure what else you would have wanted? I certainly wasn't expecting an all out monster melee.

It had the tone of a Godzilla move.

I would have preferred a tone more in line with the original, personally. Something with more weight to it. The trailers seemed to hint that it would have something of the tragic and horrific tone of the original as well.

Konka

Banned
I would have preferred a tone more in line with the original, personally. Something with more weight to it. The trailers seemed to hint that it would have something of the tragic and horrific tone of the original as well.

The original was a pioneering movie but the concept of it has been done over and over since then. Godzilla vs the Military would be great for fans of the series but wouldn't make back to budget.

010-godzillafest-godzilla-1954-01.jpg

Saw the movie today and thought it was great. Godzilla looked so great. Man a great design and his first full reveal was so good. Finding the right balance of how much of the monster and monster fighting to show is always tricky. I for the most part liked their approach of not over doing it and the final parts were a great pay off.

The original was a pioneering movie but the concept of it has been done over and over since then. Godzilla vs the Military would be great for fans of the series but wouldn't make back to budget.

010-godzillafest-godzilla-1954-01.jpg

I really don't think it has been done over and over. And there could be other monsters in the movie, I just meant in terms of tone and thematic weight to the film.

Konka

Banned
I really don't think it has been done over and over. And there could be other monsters in the movie, I just meant in terms of tone and thematic weight to the film.

We don't have current events that would lend to such weight though. Gojira 1954 was a direct result of the bombings of Japan and the nuclear age in general and that was a very real thing to everyone living at that time. The scenes of a destroyed Tokyo were reminiscent of the scenes of a very recent World War II. We don't have anything that would invoke the same horror in the people who would see a modern movie.

It's hard to scare people with tragedy movies/stories when everything is relatively peaceful.

We don't have current events that would lend to such weight though. Gojira 1954 was a direct result of the bombings of Japan and the nuclear age in general and that was a very real thing to everyone living at that time. The scenes of a destroyed Tokyo were reminiscent of the scenes of a very recent World War II. We don't have anything that would invoke the same horror in the people who would see a modern movie.

It's hard to scare people with tragedy movies/stories when everything is relatively peaceful.

Not at all. The film just needed characters to care about, a more serious screenplay that delt with the psychological ramifications of giant monster attacks (and show the loss of life) and through the use of music (or lack of music), editing, cinematography, direction, and acting. The horror doesn't come drone theme, but from tone.

And there are absolutely horrific contemporary events that hot people hard: 9/11 for instance?

kaiju

Finally saw this today. It was great to see Bryan Cranston in it, he has that "brilliance with a dash of crazy" thing going for him which helped as the movie slowly set itself up.

This Godzilla is one of the best I've seen. Too bad the other kaiju (or MOTU's) weren't up to par. I kept hoping that another monster like Ghidrah or Gigan would show up out of nowhere and surprise the hell out of me...
sadly that never came to fruition

Not a fan of the way the movie was cut. When you first see Godzilla vs. the MOTU, he gives out a loud roar for the camera and you're expecting a big battle scene, but instead they cut to something else. This kept happening a few times and I could not stand it. The movie would have been so much better if they showed a long monster fight scene near the middle of the movie. Instead, they saved everything until the last 30 minutes or so.

I do like how they portrayed Godzilla as this
world savior,
and to see
military ships cruising along with him as he glides through the ocean
was pretty damn awesome. There is never one moment where Godzilla is
the nemesis...unless the military happens to be in the way
, which I loved.

Definitely a fun movie, and I hope the sequel introduces a few of the more classic kaiju monsters!

Konka

Banned
Not at all. The film just needed characters to care about, a more serious screenplay that delt with the psychological ramifications of giant monster attacks (and show the loss of life) and through the use of music (or lack of music), editing, cinematography, direction, and acting. The horror doesn't come drone theme, but from tone.

And there are absolutely horrific contemporary events that hot people hard: 9/11 for instance?

I know this isn't really the topic for this but comparing 9/11 to the bombings of Hiroshima & Nagasaki or really any of the tragedies or atrocities of WWII is pretty ridiculous.

i'd have gone a very heavy live-leak style with godzilla

no central characters and NO MUSIC and a lot more involvement of scientists, updates would be seen/heard on radio/cnn what have you about possible angles that may be taken

security would be a lot more mature and there would be HEAVY emphasis on evacuation and quarantines

think of the random footage that come from the middle east and just imagine godzilla somewhere in the background and we'd just be engaged in random conversations and dialogue that happens in these clips, and they would be from multiple people/groups.. some would be even funny if they've observing the monster from a far enough distance

but lots of rooftop shots pointing at the monster fights, and there would be several people looking from their rooftops just observing like humans do, they'd all be holding different cameras including their smartphones

i think cloverfield really nailed the monster destroying a city thing but i'd have gone a little further than just one group of hipsters

wwm0nkey

I would cry like a child, watch that movie in theaters at least ten times, and buy all of the Gigan toys if this happened. Seriously.
I mean I probably would do the same. MUTO/Gigan design is pretty legit and could lead to some interesting Xenomorph plot point with the MUTOs

The guy plays the most unstereotypical soldier ina film and your time is spent getting upset over the fact there wasn't a more personable character on screen.... but also mock the "#humanelement"? Ok.

the guy was a flattened out empty nutshell who just wanted to look cool

pure hollywood, dudes the next gosling

he contributed absolutely nothing, pretty much nobody did

I know this isn't really the topic for this but comparing 9/11 to the bombings of Hiroshima & Nagasaki or really any of the tragedies or atrocities of WWII is pretty ridiculous.

No, what you just said is ridiculous. You seemed to think there wasn't a horrific event that is culturally significant or relevant, and 9/11 qualifies for both of those. It literally impacted every facet of the United States. I'm sorry not enough innocent people died for you to think it compares to other atrocities.

the guy was a flattened out empty nutshell who just wanted to look cool

pure hollywood, dudes the next gosling

he contributed absolutely nothing, pretty much nobody did
An empty vessel for the audience to sit inside and enjoy the ride. I am glad they didn't force more "BUT MY WIFE/MOM/DAD/SON DIED BECAUSE OF THOSE... THINGS! I'M CHANNELING MY DAD NAO! BECAUSE EVERYONE WANTS OVERACTING!"

For the record, I thought Cranston was great and the fact that all the human drama was out of the way in the beginning of the movie was unorthodox and was a great bookend companion to the monster fight at the end. Great structure to this film.

I picture other directors/writers/editors saving
Momma Brody's death for a climactic flashback reveal to fill the troubled Joe with the intensity needed to think up the brlliant plan to take down the monsters.
But that wasn't what this movie was about. It wasn't a hero's journey. Godzilla saved the day, Ford was just our avatar to show how pathetic we are.

An empty vessel for the audience to sit inside and enjoy the ride. I am glad they didn't force more "BUT MY WIFE/MOM/DAD/SON DIED BECAUSE OF THOSE... THINGS! I'M CHANNELING MY DAD NAO! BECAUSE EVERYONE WANTS OVERACTING!"

For the record, I thought Cranston was great and the fact that all the human drama was out of the way in the beginning of the movie was unorthodox and was a great bookend companion to the monster fight at the end. Great structure to this film.

yeah you mean enjoy the nap

dude was a walking douche sandwich dont know why anyone would wanna be in his shoes

Calamari41

41 > 38
i'd have gone a very heavy live-leak style with godzilla

no central characters and NO MUSIC and a lot more involvement of scientists, updates would be seen/heard on radio/cnn what have you about possible angles that may be taken

security would be a lot more mature and there would be HEAVY emphasis on evacuation and quarantines

think of the random footage that come from the middle east and just imagine godzilla somewhere in the background and we'd just be engaged in random conversations and dialogue that happens in these clips, and they would be from multiple people/groups.. some would be even funny if they've observing the monster from a far enough distance

but lots of rooftop shots pointing at the monster fights, and there would be several people looking from their rooftops just observing like humans do, they'd all be holding different cameras including their smartphones

i think cloverfield really nailed the monster destroying a city thing but i'd have gone a little further than just one group of hipsters

I would pay money to watch your movie

In what way was he a douche?

Name something specific he did.

the way he carries himself is the obvious one

standing tall in such a perfect posture and furrowing his eyebrows like a meatheaded gymrat who thinks he can eat 10 hamburgers in one sitting

hes like a younger, taller mark wahlberg in the happening

nib95

Banned
the way he carries himself is the obvious one

standing tall in such a perfect posture and furrowing his eyebrows like a meatheaded gymrat who thinks he can eat 10 hamburgers in one sitting

hes like a younger, taller mark wahlberg in the happening

Lol this shit is hilarious.

You're mad at him for his posture, the way he moves his eye brows and for being well built? Wow….

Lol this shit is hilarious.

You're mad at him for his posture, the way he moves his eye brows and for being well built? Wow….

yeah, ever since the first trailer this guy annoyed me

the rest of the military men looked appropriate but when this guy climbs out of one of those military trucks and im supposed to believe he's one of them it may as well be zoolander climbing out

guys a calvin klein model

yeah, ever since the first trailer this guy annoyed me

the rest of the military men looked appropriate but when this guy climbs out of one of those military trucks and im supposed to believe he's one of them it may as well be zoolander climbing out

guys a calvin klein model

You shouldn't be so jealous of his beauty.

Top Bottom