• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

strobogo

Banned
I wonder if people are using B-movie Western monster movies aired in Syfy or MST3K as a reference. Granted some Toho films appeared in MST3K, but those were the "special" years.

I give you Bad Boys I (not II), but The Rock and Armageddon are pretty terrible, especially the latter which is only made memorable by the Aerosmith song.

Also Transformers 1 was pretty watchable. The sequels however are trash (especially RotF).

Watchable content is not at all the same thing as good movies. His movies are often really fucking stupid, but enjoyable to watch. Like the majority of Godzilla movies.

Getting a little OT, but Pain and Gain was one of the more insulting movies I've seen in a long time. I understand the angle he was going for (and in the hands of a more capable director it could have easily worked) for but he failed to make it impactful or coherent, at least to me. The tone was all over the place and humor was just fucking awful.

I appreciated the lack of lowbrow, idiotic Bay-style "comedy" in Godzilla.

^ i saw pain and gain a few days ago and yeah it was one of the weirdest movies ive ever seen.. i thought
these douchebags were supposed to be likable heros but was relieved at the end,
but still stuff was always happening in the film and it never felt like a drag

hell is this post smoking

also... Bay and "watchable content"

...damn, I fell for the bait

i am serious

michael bay makes some really fun eye candy

the kind of shit you'd imagine as a kid he puts on the screen

but by no means is he gonna bullshit you with melodrama, even if he did his overall movie is mostly fun, kiddish spectacle, you're watching a live-action cartoon and lightyears more consistent in pacing than edwards' garbage

go ahead and post bon jovi

Serrato

Yeah, the nuclear powered Gypsy Danger would defeat monsters that thrive on nuclear energy.

So a nuclear powered railgun would not do any damage because it's powered by nuclear energy instead of other less efficient source of energy? You think of it the wrong way.

So a nuclear powered railgun would not do any damage because it's powered by nuclear energy instead of other less efficient source of energy? You think of it the wrong way.

A railgun doesn't get up close and personal with its target. Not to mention that at the center of GD's chest is the turbine, which is a beeline to the reactor.

Now, this is a new Godzilla- and you can't really say if he's stronger because he's the biggest one or weaker because he doesn't have to fight ridiculous enemies like Destroyah or Spacegodzilla- but that probably would not kill him. Godzilla is near indestructible, there's like two things that can actually kill him for good, one of them is to rip the oxygen out of his body and the other is for himself to meltdown like a nuclear reactor.
And Gypsy does run on a nuclear reactor, probably not the best match-up for Godzilla.

Shouta

Now, this is a new Godzilla- and you can't really say if he's stronger because he's the biggest one or weaker because he doesn't have to fight ridiculous enemies like Destroyah or Spacegodzilla- but that probably would not kill him. Godzilla is near indestructible, there's like two things that can actually kill him for good, one of them is to rip the oxygen out of his body and the other is for himself to meltdown like a nuclear reactor.
And Gypsy does run on a nuclear reactor, probably not the best match-up for Godzilla.

Godzilla has been near killed many times in his films.

Godzilla has been near killed many times in his films.

Yes, but actually 100% killed - and I have not seen every Godzilla movie - only a few times. And he always comes back either through a kid or something like that.
Then again arguing whether a railgun from Gypsy Danger would kill him or not seems hard to tell. I just don't think it would, given his track record.

Serrato

I never said it would kill him. But he said that because Gypsy Danger is powered by nuclear energy, he will automatically lose or something even if he strikes with his punches. The way he is powered is irrevelant in the fight.

Saw it a second time with some friends, still think it's mostly crap with some really cool moments and great sound design. I did walk away this time wondering why that
helicopter at the end wasn't knocked out electronically by the nuclear detonation happening nearby, especially after seeing the MUTOS use EMP attacks so often earlier in the movie.

Nuclear weapons only do that emp crap when detonated in the atmosphere . v

I felt Pacific Rim was a much better attempt at a Hollywood version of a Japanese monster movie since despite the uneven pacing it delivered the monsters and robots in spades.

This is funny, cause one of the main criticisms of PR when it came out was how people thought it didn't have enough monster fighting robot action.

Now that we've all been exposed to Godzilla 2014, PR gets put on a pedestal cause it delivered a bounty by comparison.

Toxi

Banned
This is funny, cause one of the main criticisms of PR when it came out was how people thought it didn't have enough monster fighting robot action.

Now that we've all been exposed to Godzilla 2014, PR gets put on a pedestal cause it delivered a bounty by comparison.
It's almost like different people have different measures of what is or isn't enough.
at least Michael bay isn't a pretentious cunt
The Rock was pretentious as hell.

Cage saved it.

SummitAve

Banned
Really enjoyed it. I was expecting much worse after what I kept hearing. I can't believe these complaints about there not being enough godzilla. The monsters were featured throughout the entire movie.

Like the poster above giving the exact amount of time on screen... Smh like that is is indicative of how many scenes he's in.

Let's be honest here, I know a lot of ppl hate bay films but his characters have more personality than the cardboard leads in this movie

Marky Mark in pain and gain alone acts circles around this kid

Guy.brush

Movie was average for me.

So why did they decide to put those two warheads on a train again? They lift them via Chinook helicopter later which would probably be way faster.
Why not put them into B2s? Or 747s? Or anywhere else other than a slow moving train?
The reasoning why they couldn't use any of the other 10000s of nukes also didn't sound convincing to me. So they couldn't shoot a cruise missile at the monsters because they would detect that they would be a danger and then use the EMP?
Then why not use one of the subs as bait? Already in the water and proven to be tasty.

And how far did that boat with the warhead travel in 13 minutes??? They brag about how those warheads make the one used in 1954 look like a firecracker and then BOOM. Nothing happens again. Very fast boat.

Say what you want about Emmerich, but the 98 Godzilla characters had more on screen presence. The characters overall were a bit weak.
Weak Japanese Monarch guy, weak lady following him, very weak US Admiral and the EOD marine also did not possess enough screen presence to lead the movie once Breakingbad guy with the fake hairdo died on the carrier.

Mdk7

Guys guys guys.

That Godzilla T-Shirt designed by one of our very own (I forget who, apologies, show yourself) is the daily tee on QWERTEE!

http://www.qwertee.com/

Here i am! :D
Thanks for the heads up buddy...
If you want to grab this
45313.jpg

45313.jpg

for just 12$/10€/8£, this is the time to do it.
It will be online for the next 24 hours at that price, then for 2$ more for the next 24 hours, and then gone forever (well'ill post it on my Redbubble page :p).

And in case you want a poster, an phone case, a rug, a shower curtain, a mug or whatever with that design, head here: http://society6.com/Mdk7

Thanks for the support guys, rock on. :D

Subitai

If you want to grab this
45313.jpg

45313.jpg

It will be online for the next 24 hours at that price, then for 2$ more for the next 24 hours, and then gone forever (well'ill post it on my Redbubble page :p).

And in case you want a poster, an phone case, a rug, a shower curtain, a mug or whatever with that design, head here: http://society6.com/Mdk7

Congrats sir!

I salute you!

If you want to grab this
45313.jpg

45313.jpg

Bought one! Though I do wish this was available in like a charcoal grey/smoke or what have you (like the original grey background of your original images).

Can I order a hoodie as well?

Mdk7

Bought one! Though I do wish this was available in like a charcoal grey/smoke or what have you (like the original grey background of your original images).

Can I order a hoodie as well?

Thanks dude!
Regarding the hoodie, of course you can! :D

Regarding the charcoal background...that was just the default Illustrator background while i screen captured the WIP, i always planned it to be on white (in remembrance of the Rising Sun, of course) or either on dark blue.
I will put it on Redbubble eventually, and there you could probably choose the grey as well, but it's not gonna happen immediately (and it's gonna cost more there, since it's not as affordable as Qwertee, even if the quality should be a bit higher).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Went to see it today with my family. Liked it a lot, but the wife and kid part was pointless. They just 'were' - there was no tension really. I lost track of where the wife was halfway through - after the bus scene, she goes back to the hospital but then is suddenly in the street and then underground.

Generally liked Godzilla and the quieter buildup in the first part of he movie was handled well I thought

There was one shot I want to ask about though - might be my imagination so I want to check with Godzilla fans.

In the shot where Godzilla
kills the winged muto by slamming it into the skyscraper..
just before that moment, you see the flying muto coming straight at Godzilla, with Godzilla in the foreground. The winged muto is pretty much immobile - isn't flapping its wings or anything. That shot felt to me like a recreation of classic Godzilla movies - the angle used, the relatively static monster almost looked like it was sliding along on a string even though it was CG.

Tell me it wasn't just me?

Edit: oh my god, that Hokusai Godzilla is fucking genius. Don't suppose you have one done more closely in the style of the original, rather than the rising sun red circle thing? I'd totally buy a framed print if it looked almost like the original until you look closer :)

Thanks dude!
Regarding the hoodie, of course you can! :D

Regarding the charcoal background...that was just the default Illustrator background while i screen captured the WIP, i always planned it to be on white (in remembrance of the Rising Sun, of course) or either on dark blue.
I will put it on Redbubble eventually, and there you could probably choose the grey as well, but it's not gonna happen immediately (and it's gonna cost more there, since it's not as affordable as Qwertee, even if the quality should be a bit higher).
Well I'm going to order a hoodie but I will probably order from Redbubble as well. Thanks for tbe info, and most importantly thanks for the design. I'm honored to have helped with cronstructive criticism earlier even if it did sting a little lol. This is my favorite Godzilla piece I've ever seen.

Let's be honest here, I know a lot of ppl hate bay films but his characters have more personality than the cardboard leads in this movie

Marky Mark in pain and gain alone acts circles around this kid

Yeah, let's forget the racist caricatures in Bay's films. His characters are totally better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Did anyone else think the movie felt a bit like War of the Worlds? In that the humans were just there for us to watch things unfold, and didn't really have any bearing on the outcome?

Mdk7

Well I'm going to order a hoodie but I will probably order from Redbubble as well. Thanks for tbe info, and most importantly thanks for the design. I'm honored to have helped with cronstructive criticism earlier even if it did sting a little lol. This is my favorite Godzilla piece I've ever seen.

Woah, thanks... i don't even know how to reply to this (someone else wrote me that too privately) but i honestly do not think i deserve so much praise.
But again, THANKS (also for the constructive criticism, definitely!).

Yes, but actually 100% killed - and I have not seen every Godzilla movie - only a few times. And he always comes back either through a kid or something like that.
Then again arguing whether a railgun from Gypsy Danger would kill him or not seems hard to tell. I just don't think it would, given his track record.

Yo, Gypsy Danger is like 2500 tons, he is going to have his hands full with with the 90,000 ton Big G from this movie.

Mdk7

Did anyone else think the movie felt a bit like War of the Worlds? In that the humans were just there for us to watch things unfold, and didn't really have any bearing on the outcome?
Yeah, and i loved that.
Humans were nothing to Godzilla and the MUTOs, they truly behaved like ancient gods... and yet the movie was somehow centered around our perspective, which made things really fascinating for me.

Mdk7

Went to see it today with my family. Liked it a lot, but the wife and kid part was pointless. They just 'were' - there was no tension really. I lost track of where the wife was halfway through - after the bus scene, she goes back to the hospital but then is suddenly in the street and then underground.

Generally liked Godzilla and the quieter buildup in the first part of he movie was handled well I thought

There was one shot I want to ask about though - might be my imagination so I want to check with Godzilla fans.

In the shot where Godzilla
kills the winged muto by slamming it into the skyscraper..
just before that moment, you see the flying muto coming straight at Godzilla, with Godzilla in the foreground. The winged muto is pretty much immobile - isn't flapping its wings or anything. That shot felt to me like a recreation of classic Godzilla movies - the angle used, the relatively static monster almost looked like it was sliding along on a string even though it was CG.

Tell me it wasn't just me?

Edit: oh my god, that Hokusai Godzilla is fucking genius. Don't suppose you have one done more closely in the style of the original, rather than the rising sun red circle thing? I'd totally buy a framed print if it looked almost like the original until you look closer :)
Just saw this: you mean with the yellowish sky?
I could make it (and it was like that originally, while it was still an early WIP), but it wasn't frankly as powerful and striking as it is with the red rising sun IMHO.

that was sort of the point though. Cranston's arc came full-circle when he found what killed his wife, and the kid is just the anchor for 'the human side' as far as I'm concerned.

I was more bothered by the director using similar tricks as in Monsters, demonstrating some degree of inexperience in directing (this is not the same as saying 'the movie sucks', it's just an observation about it). I watched X-men just before Godzilla though, and Singer's movie is a competent display of experience, so the difference was apparent anyway.

Oh wow, now that you mention it, it feels like Godzilla is the War of the Wolrds movie seen through the son's eyes. Maybe he rode on terror train, HALO jumped and helped with a bomb before getting back to Boston.

Woah, thanks... i don't even know how to reply to this (someone else wrote me that too privately) but i honestly do not think i deserve so much praise.
But again, THANKS (also for the constructive criticism, definitely!).
It's the well crafted symbolism.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just saw this: you mean with the yellowish sky?
I could make it (and it was like that originally, while it was still an early WIP), but it wasn't frankly as powerful and striking as it is with the red rising sun IMHO.

Yeah more like the original - or a bluer sky. And mainly as a rectangular print

Saw this film with my girlfriend last night, it was a fun, enjoyable movie, we both liked it. Im not a follower of the other Godzilla stuff so i didn't really have any expectations when going into the film.

can someone explain the energy beam thing that Godzilla shoots out of his mouth? Is that ability in other films?

Yes. It is in all of them except the '98 American version.,The later Godzilla movies have a more powerful version and it's Red.

This was also my first time watching a movie in IMAX 3D and oh man i had the worst headache half way in the movie.

afterwords i felt like i was having motion sickness when trying to go to sleep it was awful

This was also my first time watching a movie in IMAX 3D and oh man i had the worst headache half way in the movie.

afterwords i felt like i was having motion sickness when trying to go to sleep it was awful
You should sue James Cameron for $50 million.

seriously though, that sucks. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol did the same thing for me, though it must've been the sound levels since that movie wasn't done in 3D.

can someone explain the energy beam thing that Godzilla shoots out of his mouth? Is that ability in other films?
It is in every single Godzilla film. Early in the Showa era it was more like an atomic flamethrower, it didn't have a punch just intense heat and radiation. He even used it to fly once.

Later it became more like a plasma cannon, still being radioactive and extremely hot, but also packing a tremendous physical punch. This was how it has been since the Heisei era to the present. Sometimes Godzilla can absorb so much excess energy that he has what is called "Red Spiral Ray" that is immensely powerful. In Godzilla 2000 and Megaguirus his breath was red, but it wasn't any different from the normal breath. It was just a design choice.

In the later era his breath is so powerful and accurate that he can hit a target in orbit.

NYR

Absolutely hated the teasing in this movie, way too frustrating and ruined it for me. The build up was way too slow, and the second the
army/navy got involved the movie fell apart.

Would love a time counter of how long
Godzilla is actually on-screen and his longest consecutive time on-screen time outside of act 3.

6/10

Yup. I made the same comparison right after I got back from my first showing.

As a lot have mentioned, definitely got a Spielberg vibe. (some very blatant nods to Jurassic Park.) The overall tone of the film was reminiscent of War of the Worlds, and I mean that as a complement

But yeah...I don't have with motivation or patience to even post in the Pacific Rim>Godzilla (I really liked both movies, for the record). I think GAF has finally broke me

Top Bottom