• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What was the Avengers of the Godzilla movies, the one where Big G teams up with Mothra and was it Rodan to defeat an alien invasion?

These have been available for a long while (NA). Though I haven't seen the new chibi sets in stores that feature the new Godzilla and MUTOs yet.

Were those with Godzilla doing a fist pump?

Mdk7

I eventually watched it again yesterday, and frankly i enjoyed it even more.
And guys, you were definitely right: my 9yrs old cousin enjoyed it A LOT, she loved Godzilla and went nuts every time he used his atomic attack.

Just got back from the movie; felt like playing a Super Mario Kart ROM, getting kicked back to the menu before the start of the first sixty races, then finally getting fucking creamed by Bowser in 150cc.

Verdict: slightly disappointed. I wasn't expecting Pacific Rim in terms of action, but they pulled the bait-and-switch on actually getting to watch fights one too many times.

Saw this over the weekend and I have to say, my lasting memory of this movie is clouded by the unintentionally comedic teasing.

First off, I was totally on board with the first hour or so. I loved the opening credits, the music, the power plant scene, the backstory and mythology. Cranston gave a brilliant performance and definitely elevated the material. Unfortunately, when the film loses him (completely unnecessary) it also loses its heart. The characters the movie follows later are paper thin and uninteresting. I like these actors in other movies (ATJ in Kickass, Savages) but none of them gave anything close to an interesting performance. Maybe it was just a case of having nothing to work with.

I understand what they were trying to do with the build-up and slow reveal and I thought it was executed amazingly well up to and including when you finally see Godzilla and see him roar. You finally see him in all his modern CG glory standing face to face with the MUTO, you know shits about to go down. Now.. if they wanted to have the MUTO fly away or something and continue building tension until the next encounter, that would be annoying but whatever. What you don't do is actually have them start fighting (the thing most people came to see), cut away and only give quick glimpses of the action on a t.v. screen somewhere, then don't cut back to the real fight but instead fast-forward to when the fight is over and the monsters gone. I must have sat there thinking "did they really just do that..?" for a good 10 seconds. It reminded me of something they'd do in Game of Thrones when there is a huge battle the budget can't cover: "Let's kill them all! Charge!" then cut to after "Ah what a fight that was!" Even better is that the scene they cut back to is Ford giving the Japanese kid back to his family. The kid who was probably only added to the train scene so that we'd actually be emotionally invested in it. No fight but atleast we saw that kid get back to his family, I can sleep better now.

And they do it again. The next time you think "fucking finally, am I going to get to see Godzilla do something besides roar and be semi-hidden?", right as Godzilla and the MUTO get into it..... the doors close on wherever scared wife was and your blue balled yet again. I couldn't help but laugh and think "are they serious?"

I understand what the film was trying to do but the human story was severely inadequate for the approach they took. Once Cranston is gone all we're left with is stock characters that we're not invested in who do little beyond exposition, military fluff, and looking scared/afraid/awestruck. Even Watanabe is just sort of there past a certain point. The sad part is, once they decide to finally let you have some fun and see Godzilla do Godzilla stuff, it's sooooooooo so so so great. The whole end fight with the breath coming up the tail! I literally fist-pumped it was so cool to see. I found myself engaged as the film went along, especially the MUTO scenes, but once the fake outs started I began to get restless and wonder how much longer they were going to make us wait. The coming back down from the excitement high of the teases only made the mediocrity of the main plot more apparent.

I'm glad I saw it if only for the Cranston stuff and the last 15-20 minutes of pure payoff. I do want to watch it atleast one more time and see how much it improves on a second viewing. Hopefully they can build on what they got right and make a more balanced sequel.

Decent film. Not bad, but not great. Losing
Cranston
so early on in the film really hurt it, I felt. He was the character I was most invested in, due to being the most interesting. His death also felt very anti-climactic. So what we're left with is a bunch of un-interesting characters, and a bunch of constant teasing of the monster fights. When they do finally go at it, Godzilla destroys the bigger monster pretty easily, despite struggling against both of them throughout the rest of the movie. Still, it had some nice visuals, and I enjoyed the bleak atmosphere. I can't help feeling like there was a huge missed opportunity here though for greatness.

Ok I finally saw Godzilla. I was wrong, I thought it was going to suck and boy was I wrong. it was amazing. the Buildup felt right. I don't care about human characters they were just a proxy to what was really tight, the story and Godzilla. Amazing. and Oh my God the sound in this movie is spectacular. this is probably the FIRST time I literally felt the chair vibrate on the roar

Ok I finally saw Godzilla. I was wrong, I thought it was going to suck and boy was I wrong. it was amazing. the Buildup felt right. I don't care about human characters they were just a proxy to what was really tight, the story and Godzilla. Amazing. and Oh my God the sound in this movie is spectacular. this is probably the FIRST time I literally felt the chair vibrate on the roar
The sound! Most memorable sounds for me in the order I can remember them in the film:

The Muto searching
the train bridge
The Mutos
embracing
The Shadow of the Colossus esque moment immediately following "Let them fight".
The scene where Godzilla emerges from the smoke before letting out the long roar.
The long roar.
The glass shattering from the buildings.
The
atomic breath boot-up

Been digi painting this guy since last weekend, only thing that's really close to being done is Godzilla himself, everything else is kinda thrown together. I really have no idea what I want to do with the background, I'm pretty horrid with perspective so I'm just going with a mound of smoke and debris for now.
M997I5j.jpg

Higher res here: http://i.imgur.com/YS2xP36.jpg

holly balls this is good

Saw this over the weekend and I have to say, my lasting memory of this movie is clouded by the unintentionally comedic teasing.

First off, I was totally on board with the first hour or so. I loved the opening credits, the music, the power plant scene, the backstory and mythology. Cranston gave a brilliant performance and definitely elevated the material. Unfortunately, when the film loses him (completely unnecessary) it also loses its heart. The characters the movie follows later are paper thin and uninteresting. I like these actors in other movies (ATJ in Kickass, Savages) but none of them gave anything close to an interesting performance. Maybe it was just a case of having nothing to work with.

I understand what they were trying to do with the build-up and slow reveal and I thought it was executed amazingly well up to and including when you finally see Godzilla and see him roar. You finally see him in all his modern CG glory standing face to face with the MUTO, you know shits about to go down. Now.. if they wanted to have the MUTO fly away or something and continue building tension until the next encounter, that would be annoying but whatever. What you don't do is actually have them start fighting (the thing most people came to see), cut away and only give quick glimpses of the action on a t.v. screen somewhere, then don't cut back to the real fight but instead fast-forward to when the fight is over and the monsters gone. I must have sat there thinking "did they really just do that..?" for a good 10 seconds. It reminded me of something they'd do in Game of Thrones when there is a huge battle the budget can't cover: "Let's kill them all! Charge!" then cut to after "Ah what a fight that was!" Even better is that the scene they cut back to is Ford giving the Japanese kid back to his family. The kid who was probably only added to the train scene so that we'd actually be emotionally invested in it. No fight but atleast we saw that kid get back to his family, I can sleep better now.

And they do it again. The next time you think "fucking finally, am I going to get to see Godzilla do something besides roar and be semi-hidden?", right as Godzilla and the MUTO get into it..... the doors close on wherever scared wife was and your blue balled yet again. I couldn't help but laugh and think "are they serious?"

I understand what the film was trying to do but the human story was severely inadequate for the approach they took. Once Cranston is gone all we're left with is stock characters that we're not invested in who do little beyond exposition, military fluff, and looking scared/afraid/awestruck. Even Watanabe is just sort of there past a certain point. The sad part is, once they decide to finally let you have some fun and see Godzilla do Godzilla stuff, it's sooooooooo so so so great. The whole end fight with the breath coming up the tail! I literally fist-pumped it was so cool to see. I found myself engaged as the film went along, especially the MUTO scenes, but once the fake outs started I began to get restless and wonder how much longer they were going to make us wait. The coming back down from the excitement high of the teases only made the mediocrity of the main plot more apparent.

I'm glad I saw it if only for the Cranston stuff and the last 15-20 minutes of pure payoff. I do want to watch it atleast one more time and see how much it improves on a second viewing. Hopefully they can build on what they got right and make a more balanced sequel.
I totally agree with everything you said. The Godzilla parts were absolutely nailed, everything else needs improvement in a sequel. No need to tease him in a second film; let his balls hang!

Raptor

I think its the director inexperience and I think it can pass because is his firts time with a budget this size, but if he tease me the same say in StarWars I will fucking blacklist him lols.

JdFoX187

Banned
I think its the director inexperience and I think it can pass because is his firts time with a budget this size, but if he tease me the same say in StarWars I will fucking blacklist him lols.

You do realize the teasing was a purposeful buildup due to the nature of the film? There's nothing in Star Wars that would warrant this approach to the film.

I swear, movies like Alien, Jaws and the original Gojira would get shit on by modern audiences. As much as I like the Transformers films, there are certain movies that should have the balls-out action sequences. But more somber, bleaker and methodical movies like Godzilla and the above listed should have that buildup.

Firemind

Just came back from the theater and I liked it a great deal.

I definitely agree with the people who mentioned seeing influences of Spielberg. The buildup of tension was phenomenal; the screentime of Godzilla was spot on. It reminds me of the T-Rex introduction in Jurassic Park. Chilling stuff. Watching Big G duke it for an hour would have soured the whole film. The cockteases left you wanting more and it delivered in the end; a breath of fresh air from the constant in-your-face cinematography of the last decade.

The title sequence was great. The first hour wasn't as exposition-heavy as I thought it would be. Cranston's performance was excellent
and while I didn't see his death coming; it took me completely by surprise, I understand why they did it. Cranston would have trouble fitting in with the action scenes.
Godzilla's introduction was great.
I especially liked the metro scene once the electricity got back on. The helplessness was palpable as they cruised to near-certain death, which happened afterwards by people slipping out of the broken car while screaming.
And like I said, the final battle delivered.
dat atomic breath

The only truly dumb thing I can think of is
when MUTA decides to shit her eggs in the middle of San Fransisco. These dudes show signs of intelligence, but laying your offspring while fighting the alpha dog, with a live nuclear bomb nestled in and millions of potential threats surrounding the nest does not seem like the greatest idea at the time.

PS. I'm not a fan of him, but Watanabe is hilarious in this film. Hope we'll see him back in the sequel.

citizensyndrome

Neo Member
i thought it was mostly boring. i can appreciate giving us a reason to see these monsters fight, but maybe it was increasingly convenient and odd for those situations to take place.

the only reason ford has a kid is so we're put in the bus when godzilla appears at the golden gate bridge.

actually the dumbest thing in the entire movie, and one of the dumbest things i've seen in any movie recently was ford telling his wife he was coming to get her and his son. why? there was time to evacuate the city, and it's not like the news was out that everything was converging on san francisco (i think). hell, just take the bart system south a bit and get to sf international airport to get a ride out of there. there was nothing ford could have done that was special to get them out. and i think him having super bomb-disarming powers was enough to get him into san francisco anyway. just a really stupid part of the movie.

i will echo what i assume are complaints about the lack of bryan cranston. everything involving him had me invested, and i didn't realize we were going to go with a completely different main character until he was zipped up in a body bag. it was such a huge shift, and ford never was as invested in the happenings of the mutos and godzilla. instead he was more like a harrison ford character in any of the movies he's done in the last 15 years. there was a bit of an underdog appeal to cranston too- he's older, kinda normal, and no one believes him. much more like roy scheider's character in jaws. he cares about what's happening. when we see ford as an adult, he just doesn't give a shit or is trying to distance himself from pretty traumatic stuff.

also, ken watanabe, who i like, and didn't think was a negative in this film, is sort of a non-factor. i don't know why both he and cranston were in this movie when they both did sort of the same thing, and watanabe wound up adding nothing. his big plan was the correct one 'let's do nothing', but it also rendered everything with the military as unintentionally pointless.

now i'm fine with pointlessness and futility when it's done right. cloverfield shows military blasting this thing like crazy to absolutely no effect. people are scared. there are a couple moments in godzilla that achieved this feeling to me. the most successful was on the tram in hawaii, when it starts up and you see the muto lit by the airport and tram lights. then the tram starts moving toward it and there's nothing people can do to stop its trajectory. that's pretty damn frightening and effective. the other wasn't scary, but ford pulling out his pistol like tom hanks in saving private ryan was a fairly okay moment in showing that helplessness. i wish there was more. the commercial with the doors closing as godzilla roars being another moment that would have been fantastic in the final film.

I agree with most of this, but I have to add that Ken Watanabe was used terribly in this movie. He uses the same facial expression so much, to the point that my partner and I started laughing every time the camera was on him.

Skab

Saw a late showing tonight. Thoroughly enjoyed it, though I can understand where some of the complaints are coming from.

sphagnum

Banned
I finally got to see this on Memorial Day and while I can understand some of the criticisms (definitely needed more Cranston), I can't comprehend how anyone thought it was boring or had bad pacing. It was paced perfectly. I was invested in the world of the movie from beginning to end. It flew by.

The way Edwards uses the camera is fantastic as well, and he has a great eye. The scene of the one Muto bringing the other the nuclear warhead as a gift was stunning. The whole train-on-the-bridge sequence was amazing. Pretty much every time Godzilla shows up is great. The HALO jump was phenomenal.

I also don't understand all the "the teasing is excruciating!" complaints. They tease Godzilla once, with the Hawaii fight. After that, the next "tease" is the Golden Gate Bridge, which is a fairly extended sequence, so I don't know how that would be a tease, and then after that he arrives in San Francisco and starts fighting with the Mutos. Yeah they cut away but it pretty much goes straight into the beautiful HALO jump sequence which leads right into the rest of the fight. It felt fine to me. I never felt like I was being tricked or anything.

People are weird.

The main problem just comes down to Ford not being very interesting. Serizawa also having nothing more to do but give his dull surprise face is also kind of disappointing. But I thought it was an interesting way to show the complete unimportance of man compared to these hulking gods. The movie starts off very character-driven and you think Joe's going to find some way to do something important, but then nope he's dead. And the rest of the movie, humans can't do anything right and literally everything mankind does is either wrong or worthless except for burning up the Muto eggs. The military is totally incompetent and its grand plan with the bomb ends up backfiring hugely. It was almost comedic (and reminded me of "Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!").

I have faith that Edwards will make a very good sequel. Considering this was only his second movie, what he did was stunning.

deleted

Finally saw the movie. Pretty early in the movie it became clear, that this will be a fusion of a trashy monster movie with high quality Hollywood.

Most of the humans in this movie don't make a lot of sense or wouldn't be out of place in a very low budget movie. The acting and the storylines felt that way at least. Then you have hollywood logic that jumps all kinds of places
beginning with the 'it absorbs electricity - kill it! With more electricity..' going to the 'wait for me before you get to safety' and ending with the DKR approach to getting rid of an atomic bomb.
Like many have pointed out, the story might have worked better from the perspective of Watanabe or Cranston. A scientist would have been able to provide some insight and Ken would have been able to contribute more to the movie than long stares. But that approach was already used in Emmerichs version and I get that they wanted to distance themselves from that version as much as possible.

All that was coupled with some gorgeous camera work and some pretty impressive imagery. While I liked the soundtrack, I thought I would have liked Godzillas roar more.. Maybe it's nostalgia speaking, but I thought they nailed it with the older movies and there was just some element missing with it here. Can also be that I wasn't in the most high tech cinema and the sound wasn't as good as it should have been there.
The movie falls into the trap of being experimental with it's approach to the kaiju fights in the beginning which leads to 3 build ups for Godzilla without 2 of them paying of in any way. They work fine all for themselves, but I couldn't help myself from wanting something after the buildup. A small fight in the beginning would have helped immensely I guess. I liked that we get to see much information second hand over TV-screens though.

So that leaves me with an okay movie. I enjoyed it in the cinema, and even if it was flawed in some ways, it was very good in others. Unlike many other people in here, I wasn't too hyped before though, so I guess that provided an appropriate mood where the movie couldn't disappoint me that easily and I also didn't need to push it to some kind of brilliant masterstroke to avoid disappointment.
Will watch the second one and I'm looking forward to Edwards Star Wars. I can see him making a visually very impressive Boba movie.

You do realize the teasing was a purposeful buildup due to the nature of the film? There's nothing in Star Wars that would warrant this approach to the film.

I swear, movies like Alien, Jaws and the original Gojira would get shit on by modern audiences. As much as I like the Transformers films, there are certain movies that should have the balls-out action sequences. But more somber, bleaker and methodical movies like Godzilla and the above listed should have that buildup.

Alien and jaws are a masterful example of how to build tension, this godzilla movie doesn't deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as those movies.

I disagree that those movies would have been shat on. There is nothing wrong with going for a movie with a slow buildup of tension, the question is whether or not godzilla actually achieved that goal.

Boss Doggie

Alien and jaws are a masterful example of how to build tension, this godzilla movie doesn't deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as those movies.

I disagree that those movies would have been shat on. There is nothing wrong with going for a movie with a slow buildup of tension, the question is whether or not godzilla actually achieved that goal.

It did though. It made people want to see the fight more.

Speaking of which, those cockteases really didn't even "cut off" a fight if people are paying attention.

Speaking of which, those cockteases really didn't even "cut off" a fight if people are paying attention.
To go from the masterful and awesome reveal of Godzilla, to a cutaway of him fighting the Muto on a tv screen in a background, is a massive boner kill. Just didn't work for me.

Nintyb

Banned
Finally saw this today with my son. He's 13 and loved it. I thought it was awful aside from the final battle. While I appreciate holding back and being suspenseful, this is a popcorn flick and needed a bit more spectacle to make up for the boring setup.

Wtf at Watanabe's character just standing around staring in disbelief the entire film. What a waste.

Was it explained why
Godzilla surfaced in the 40s/50s? I thought he only showed up to mess with other monsters since he's the apex predator?

Was it explained why
Godzilla surfaced in the 40s/50s? I thought he only showed up to mess with other monsters since he's the apex predator?

Well they explain a missing sub where America and Russia started blaming each other. I guess it was the first nuclear powered sub? (I have no knowledge of this part of history)

Blader

What was the Avengers of the Godzilla movies, the one where Big G teams up with Mothra and was it Rodan to defeat an alien invasion?

You're mixing up three different movies here -- Destroy All Monsters, Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, and Invasion of Astro Monster/Monster Zero.

Of course they all use some combination of those guys and all involve aliens too :lol

Raptor

Not like this.

I realize teasing increase tension and I get buildup and all but this was just too much, like I said earlier he did it one too many times, when Godzilla encounters the flying Muto on the city and they would begin to fight only for a door or whatever closes and that was it, that tease should have not happened because we already had been teased before, we already saw Godzilla and the Muto one time before, there was no need for this tease whatsoever, we should have seen that complete fight, I as audience needed it because I was expecting it.

Once you show the damn monster you don't tease it again in the movie, there is no point in doing so IMO.

Imagine in StarWars we see a close up to a Jedi hand going to the lightsaber. cut, next 15 minutes we get a exposition how the Jedis were powerfull warrios and very wise, then we get a close up of the lightsaber and then about to get turn on only to get cut again to another scene in were some people are talking about whatever, then we finally see the lightsaber and at the very moment the jedi will start to fight another cut to another scene God knows about what, fucking people will start to leave the fucking teather saying "The fuck is wrong with this movie man"

To much fucking tease, fuck.

orochi91

I agree. Those cuts made the final fight that much more satisfying. It was handled well;
this is a very competent movie.

GhaleonEB

To go from the masterful and awesome reveal of Godzilla, to a cutaway of him fighting the Muto on a tv screen in a background, is a massive boner kill. Just didn't work for me.

I think they could have gotten the same effect - the humor of the kid seeing the "dinosaurs" fighting on TV - by actually showing the brief skirmish on Hawaii, then cutting to the kid watching it on TV. Then we'd have had a small fight before the finale. I actually liked how it played out in the film, but that would have at least helped with the cockteasing complaints.
Well they explain a missing sub where America and Russia started blaming each other. I guess it was the first nuclear powered sub? (I have no knowledge of this part of history)

Right, they said it was the first nuclear sub to go super deep down woke up/attracted Godzilla. It wanted that chow.

kehs

Banned
I think they could have gotten the same effect - the humor of the kid seeing the "dinosaurs" fighting on TV - by actually showing the brief skirmish on Hawaii, then cutting to the kid watching it on TV. Then we'd have had a small fight before the finale. I actually liked how it played out in the film, but that would have at least helped with the cockteasing complaints.

Right, they said it was the first nuclear sub to go super deep down woke up/attracted Godzilla. It wanted that chow.

Does that mean that Zilla feasts on nuclear power too? Is Zilla just more restraint in how it gets said nuclear power.

Is he getting nukes on the DL from someone?

Not like this.

I realize teasing increase tension and I get buildup and all but this was just too much, like I said earlier he did it one too many times, when Godzilla encounters the flying Muto on the city and they would begin to fight only for a door or whatever closes and that was it, that tease should have not happened because we already had been teased before, we already saw Godzilla and the Muto one time before, there was no need for this tease whatsoever, we should have seen that complete fight, I as audience needed it because I was expecting it.

Once you show the damn monster you don't tease it again in the movie, there is no point in doing so IMO.

Imagine in StarWars we see a close up to a Jedi hand going to the lightsaber. cut, next 15 minutes we get a exposition how the Jedis were powerfull warrios and very wise, then we get a close up of the lightsaber and then about to get turn on only to get cut again to another scene in were some people are talking about whatever, then we finally see the lightsaber and at the very moment the jedi will start to fight another cut to another scene God knows about what, fucking people will start to leave the fucking teather saying "The fuck is wrong with this movie man"

Most if not all the cutaways are perspective shots of the main character. It is, after all, Godzilla's story.

I saw it this afternoon, and pretty much liked it.

Although it had a plethora of problems, it was one of the best movies I've seen in the theater lately.

Based on some of the opinions I've read here I thought I would barely even see Godzilla for five minutes and, in fact, he's actually spread through the whole movie, even if not actually present he's always a big factor and his presence is constantly felt. IMO the buildup is crucial for the final part of the movie to work properly.

I didn't like the MUTOs so much, the design was cool but I didn't think they were all that imposing, even thought the movie was clever turning them in a potential threat to humanity. Still, this being presumably the first film in a series I thought they played their part well enough.

Brian Cranston was definitely the best actor of the movie and the human drama fell flat after his death, I didn't feel like Aaron Taylor-Johnson was phoning it in but he did definitely lack register to make me believe he was actually seeing these creatures in front of him. Ken Watanabe was mostly ok, one might argue that his perpetually shocked look is silly but it seemed to me he was the only one actually surprised that these monsters were real and fighting among themselves.

Visually it was pretty good, the Kaiju battles were great and some sequences like the Halo jump and the Atomic Breath were simply amazing, no qualms about it.

The plot itself, however, was quite weak. Stuff like Ford's family staying in the city for mostly nonsensical reasons, his wife with her phone muted while he's MIA, him staying in the boat at the end instead of jumping off board and all the contrived narrative to always put him in the right places were kind of irking at times, but it wasn't too serious, however you'd think that with all the screen time these characters get they could've done better.

Overall I thought it was pretty solid and would recommend it to anyone remotely interested in it, just don't go expecting Pacific Rim.

Does anyone have the intro credit footage pre-blocking out of the words (if that makes any sense). Trying to read that shit was impossible in the theater and I was wondering if there was anything interesting in there.

GhaleonEB

Does that mean that Zilla feasts on nuclear power too? Is Zilla just more restraint in how it gets said nuclear power.

The movie didn't really handle that well. Presumably if Godzilla fed on radiation as well, he'd also be after the nukes in addition to the MUTOs. (Or eat the MUTOs to get the radiation within them, which is what I'd expected.) But he just kills them and leaves.
Does anyone have the intro credit footage pre-blocking out of the words (if that makes any sense). Trying to read that shit was impossible in the theater and I was wondering if there was anything interesting in there.

There was an article posted in this thread around release day showing the full uncensored credits; they're hilarious, but I can't find them now.

The Redacted Secrets From GODZILLA’s Credits!

My favorite one:

Are these animals real? Can we prove they even exist or are they merely men in rubber suits with COSTUMES DESIGNED BY tricksters SHAREN DAVIS we may never learn the answer 'what lurks below'.

The movie didn't really handle that well. Presumably if Godzilla fed on radiation as well, he'd also be after the nukes in addition to the MUTOs. (Or eat the MUTOs to get the radiation within them, which is what I'd expected.) But he just kills them and leaves.

I figured it was because he was mostly dormant, resting in the ocean picking up deep-sea radiation for years and years and years. He's pretty full.

The MUTOs, on the other hand, were maturing and having babies and all that. They needed the rads to get to full strength after a ton of hibernating and growing as well as suddenly becoming more active.

Does any of that make sense or would I be totally off?

Carm

Finally got around to seeing this earlier tonight, I enjoyed it quite a bit. Unfortunately the shitty theater almost ruined it. For some reason the picture was not centered so part of the film was behind the curtain, and the film had a green filter on it. So fire always looked green, the flares of the jumpers were green as well. A friend said they were red like in the trailer. Never gonna go back to that theater.

Boss Doggie

You're mixing up three different movies here -- Destroy All Monsters, Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster, and Invasion of Astro Monster/Monster Zero.

Of course they all use some combination of those guys and all involve aliens too :lol

Ah I see :p

He's getting nuclear radiation from the Earth's core unlike the other MUTOs which are apparently newborn.

Not all movies are alike. Just because the makers of Godzilla may have been trying to do something on the level of jaws or alien doesn't mean it's on the same level. Jaws worked because Brody and co. were interesting, well developed characters. You didn't mind the build up and lack of shark because the characters were interesting and did interesting things. The military subplots in Godzilla were just boring and predictable. Felt like generic 90s/00s Hollywood filler. And Aaron taylor Johnson was about as charismatic as a wet mop.

Blink Me

Thought the movie sucked. Bryan Cranston just shouted constantly, not enough Godzilla or Eilizabeth Olsen and how does Aaron Taylor Johnson keep getting acting jobs. Also thought they could have picked better monsters for Godzilla to fight.

Not like this.

With the way that fight was shot it wouldn't have made a lot of sense to see it from that angle since we do pick up on the fight pretty much right after with the HALO jump and see it from Ford's POV. The way we got it is a lot better than just seeing it that way in my opinion.

Thought the movie sucked. Bryan Cranston just shouted constantly, not enough Godzilla or Eilizabeth Olsen and how does Aaron Taylor Johnson keep getting acting jobs. Also thought they could have picked better monsters for Godzilla to fight.

What, you don't like Starship Troopers or something?

Blader

Teasing the monsters and big reveals is fine as long as the human drama is able to pick up the slack in the interim. It doesn't work well here because the characters are bland and the actors aren't being directed in any major way to help alleviate that.

Top Bottom