• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn |OT| DJINNS DJINNS DJINNS DJINNS oh god i am drowning in them

ITA84

mjc said:
Do you think I should take time out to play the first two GS games or should I just read wiki for the story? I've got a lot of games on my plate at the moment.
Knowing the backstory will certainly help, but if you read the wiki first, then enjoy Dark Dawn so much you decide to play the originals afterwards, you'd get spoiled. It's up to you, but I can guess Camelot has made Dark Dawn accessible to Golden Sun newbies, so you might not need to do anything to fully enjoy the game.

You may also want to check out Golden Sun The Abridged Series (warning: spoilers!); it barely covers the first game, but it's very well done (especially from episode 3 onwards).

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
ITA84 said:
Knowing the backstory will certainly help, but if you read the wiki first, then enjoy Dark Dawn so much you decide to play the originals afterwards, you'd get spoiled. It's up to you, but I can guess Camelot has made Dark Dawn accessible to Golden Sun newbies, so you might not need to do anything to fully enjoy the game.

You may also want to check out Golden Sun The Abridged Series (warning: spoilers!); it barely covers the first game, but it's very well done (especially from episode 3 onwards).
:lol @ Isaac's cries of agony from other party members walking into him

Edit: and alex :lol :lol :lol :lol

hamchan

Jeez this is out so soon. I remember being a huge fan of the first game and finishing it 3 times but I've never actually finished the second game. I need to get on that.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, we have them for games that have larger gaps, like DQ9/DQ6/Valkyria 2 and such, but I agree, this one seems a bit weird because it's long enough to be far away but short enough to be able to fool your subconscious.

lolitrollu

I dunno I guess I was too excited and just couldn't stop myself from posting the thread. :lol

And I'm gonna use Blitz' artwork as an excuse to bump the thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23919782&postcount=879

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, it's no troll for me, sir. Unlike you chumps, I will be playing this on Thursday.

Am I correct in thinking you're the only member of J-GAF that's going to be playing this? :(

Not-Gravijah said:
Am I correct in thinking you're the only member of J-GAF that's going to be playing this? :(
No idea. I'm like the Batman of the J-GAF Justice League. I only show up to meetings when the sales are down.

GhaleonQ

Cosmo Clock 21 said:
Also long overdrawn dialogue sequences. I didn't have any problem with them personally.

Neither did I, but Golden Sun has as great a disconnect between "in-game time spent on story" and "apparent development time spent on story" as the worst Western action/shooter games. It's not bad or discouraging, just PECULIAR coming from the Shining Force III guys. The amount of time spent saying so little made me think they aped Japanese television.

Giard

I believe that in the GBA versions you could have battles against friends...is that still in?
I loved them.

Xelinis

Alright, it is now confirmed that Matthew is the son of Isaac and Jenna. Tyrell, Karis, and Rief are the children of Garet, Ivan, and Mia respectively, spouses unknown.

Boney

Banned
Xelinis said:
Alright, it is now confirmed that Matthew is the son of Isaac and Jenna. Tyrell, Karis, and Rief are the children of Garet, Ivan, and Mia respectively, spouses unknown.
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Salsa

Xelinis said:

the FUCK

Phenomic

Xelinis said:

Going out a limb here and I'm going to make a radical off the wall guess :lol

Mia-Piers
Ivan-Sheba
Garet-????? Joke Spoilers!
shacked up with Issac's mom
:D

trinest

Xelinis said:
Which one was Jenna.

Boney

Banned
trinest said:
Which one was Jenna.
This cutie right here

JennaIcon.png

Felix's sister.

timnich

I hope Felix makes an appearance in the game. Or is at least mentioned. I liked him better than Isaac as the main character.

This wasn't on my radar until I opened this thread. Seriously, fuck. I loved the first game so much, easily my favorite portable RPG. I never got a chance to play the second one but I played the shit out of the first one. Ragnarok is still the best magic attack ever conceived.

A bit disappointed its in full shitty DS 3D, this would have looked insane with the same 2D as the first two and improved 3D in battles. Still, consider this bought :D

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Xelinis said:
Mudshipping was so superior to Valeshipping. :(

I bet Felix hooked up with Kraden.

Ezalc

Xelinis said:
Wait how was it confirmed? What?

Nevermind I found it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Phenomic said:
Why do I feel like this just got taken way to far into how much it should have gone. Are people this BORED? What in the world... Roofshipping focuses on Isaac and the roof of his house.

It's a darned good roof though!

Aeana said:
Oh, I guess the audience 'round here is too young for that reference.
Watch the classics, folks.

Now you're feeling old.

When does Famitsu hit? The Golden Sun Realm guys say it got a 33, but I've not seen a single scan. Never mind, found it.

timnich

There are youtube videos of the first 20 min on the golden sun realm. Not linking them here just in case people dont want to spoil it for themselves, me included.

I need the fucking soundtrack now!

Also, has anything been clarified on possible stat-transfer from the GBA version via the codes. I know the party members are not the same in Dark Dawn but WTF why put a code in the GBA version of Golden Sun 2 then? :lol

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The music sounds like arrangements and modern Tales Sakuraba. Bleh. Also, why did they change the menu music to an arrangement of Vale?

Varion

Liking the new battle theme a lot, sounds like typical Golden Sun to me.

Boss theme doesn't so much, sounds more like typical Sakuraba than the old regular boss themes. Think I like it more than GS1's (was never that fond of 1's main boss theme though), but not as much as TLA's.

zigg

StevePharma said:
Also, has anything been clarified on possible stat-transfer from the GBA version via the codes. I know the party members are not the same in Dark Dawn but WTF why put a code in the GBA version of Golden Sun 2 then? :lol

Because in 2002 they thought it was a good idea in case they wanted to do the transfer thing again... but now in 2010, they have a new story that doesn't support it.

Top Bottom