• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn |OT| DJINNS DJINNS DJINNS DJINNS oh god i am drowning in them

Salsa

ShockingAlberto said:
Handheld games are not worth long reviews.

says who ?

ive been seeing this in GT as well and i really dont understand it, they used to have reviews as long as for any other game. These are full games we are talking about, idk why they started to get this treatment.

Rpgmonkey

How many bonus dungeons/bosses?

I always love the extra ones in GS games because of the way they can mess with you with weird abilities (that guy who could use your Djinns against you was especially awesome).

Netto-kun

To those of you who have already beaten the game (or gotten past the Konpa/ゴンパ Cave):

Is there a point of no return right after Blados/Spada and his gang blow up the cave exit? I missed the Zagan summon tablet and can't get back to the previous areas. Unless I am able to do that later in the game?

Varion

Netto-kun said:
To those of you who have already beaten the game (or gotten past the Konpa/ゴンパ Cave):

Is there a point of no return right after Blados/Spada and his gang blow up the cave exit? I missed the Zagan summon tablet and can't get back to the previous areas. Unless I am able to do that later in the game?
Afraid so, once the rocks are blocking the entrance there's no way to get back to that section of the world map.

totowhoa

Banned
Didn't notice the Nintendo Power review unless I missed it: 8.0

Some positives:
-Easy to play and follow if you missed the first 2; the game catches you up well.
-Puzzles difficulty is "just right". Mostly clever, rarely frustrating.
-Great graphics and soundtrack, though the quality of the music can be inconsistent at times

Some negatives:
-Game is very easy compared to the first two, never in danger of a game over
-Mild spoiler that bothered the reviewer enough to mention spend a paragraph on it:
Yet another cliffhanger, this one feels less satisfying.. though this may be mostly due to his fear of not knowing if we'll even get another GS sequel soon or ever. He wishes this one would have had more closure, as it's just not as satisfying as it was the first time around.

Mostly a pretty glowing review, and those were the only two negative remarks he had really stressed, and at both points he seemed pretty disappointed in those negatives. All-in-all the reviewer really seemed to love it and it felt like a proper GS sequel should :D

zigg

Oxx said:
The Quicklook did get me pretty hyped, but OMGSOMUCHDIALOGUEPLZSHUTUP.
It's true; some things never change. :lol

Got used to it (once again, heh) though. Set the text speed to fast and the only issue is that everyone stops to emote between text bubbles.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The scores seem in-line with what I was expecting considering the downfall of JRPGs from critics' grace these last years. I'm more interested in the actual text; pretty much the same issues the first two games had.

Oxx

The main problems I had with the GBA games were the interminably long dialogue scenes and the complete lack of indication where you should go next.

Seems like my issues with the series are 50% fixed.

timnich

Don't Nintendo published games usually come out on Sundays? I thought it came out today and went to Gamestop, but it turns out they wont have until Tuesday at the earliest...:(

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
timnich said:
Don't Nintendo published games usually come out on Sundays? I thought it came out today and went to Gamestop, but it turns out they wont have until Tuesday at the earliest...:(

Only big releases.

zigg

timnich said:

What Regulus Tera said, though I can usually find those "Tuesday" releases at Best Buy late Monday. Check around if you hate waiting...

ShikaTheReaper said:
Cant believe im missing out on this. Wont be able to pick this up for another 2 weeks >.<

It's been seven years, what's another couple weeks? :)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Amazon: "Usually ships within 1 to 3 weeks."

God damn it, I ordered this game a year ago, I demand it now!

Drkirby said:
Amazon: "Usually ships within 1 to 3 weeks."

God damn it, I ordered this game a year ago, I demand it now!
What does your delivery estimate say? I just ordered the game on Sunday, and my delivery estimate is December 2nd. I emailed them, and the rep confirmed that it will ship today. I am a little worried though, since it hasn't shipped yet, or even changed to the shipping soon status.

Glix

Found this at Best Buy today, guy was nice enough to fetch it from the back, it was just off the truck and not even checked in yet.

The guys at Gamestop yesterday told me they were totally sold out of Kinect and ALL sku's of XBOX360.

Best Buy had a Jillion of them.

Hylian7

Okay, little update, I called my local Gamestop to see if they had it, and they said it comes out Wednesday, and that I should preorder it and give them my money anyway. I said nope and called Walmart, they have it, going to pick it up in a few hours.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Called my local Gamestop, they won't get it til tomorrow. I didn't have time to pick it up today anyway, so I'm not bothered.

To anyone who gets it early, does it come with the map?

Glix

Regulus Tera said:
Called my local Gamestop, they won't get it til tomorrow. I didn't have time to pick it up today anyway, so I'm not bothered.

To anyone who gets it early, does it come with the map?

Mine from Best Buy did not. But the last two pages of the instructions are a map, prolly the same one.

Full color, thick booklet, with a map.... I love it! More games need this!

DMG-01

Tragedy has stricken! I just ordered this off of Amazon and with Super Saver Shipping it said it would arrive after Dec 25! So I switched it to 3-5 day shipping and now it's "Delivery Estimate: December 16, 2010 - December 24, 2010" That's incredibly slow for an extra 5 bucks! :C

Ninja edit: I suppose it's all the better as finals are coming up next week. Not that I'll study anyway. :lol

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
DMG-01 said:
Tragedy has stricken! I just ordered this off of Amazon and with Super Saver Shipping it said it would arrive after Dec 25! So I switched it to 3-5 day shipping and now it's "Delivery Estimate: December 16, 2010 - December 24, 2010" That's incredibly slow for an extra 5 bucks! :C

Ninja edit: I suppose it's all the better as finals are coming up next week. Not that I'll study anyway. :lol

What the fuck? Do you live in the middle of no where?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Whys the US commercial for this game so very very bad? I caught it once and it left me wonder was that all? Oh well whatevers the games finally really real an hopefully will be in my DS by weeks end!

DMG-01

ICallItFutile said:
What the fuck? Do you live in the middle of no where?
Florida. :/ I think (hope!) it's probably just Amazon overestimating.
Lindsay said:
Whys the US commercial for this game so very very bad? I caught it once and it left me wonder was that all? Oh well whatevers the games finally really real an hopefully will be in my DS by weeks end!
Oh God, i just watched it; it's terrible. :lol And the commercial for GS1 was so good too...

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Pretty sure that besides the first real boss in TLA on hard, the last boss in the first game, and the optional fight in TLA anyone with decent RPG experience should never even come close to dying.

Hm, Amazon seems to have run out of them; they're claiming a ship time of 1-2 weeks no matter what shipping option you pick. Good for the game's sales, bad for my attempts to play it soon.

Pikelet

Is there a hard option for this game?

I have been replaying the first two, and yeah, those games are really quite easy. If you sell every water of life you will never have money problems after the first hour of the game

timnich

It's really sad that no one is talking about this game...picked it up today and played for about 30 min. Wow that intro was mind numbingly long. Also, the dialogue just goes on and on. I'm looking forward to playing more, hopefully I can sink in a few hours before bed tonight. Looking forward to other people's impressions!

Flare

Also picked the game up today and managed to put in ~ 40-50 minutes into it over the span of the day. Don't think I got very far as I was looking into each pot, barrel, crate and bookshelves I came across. The game looks amazing, everything lush and colourful. The music so far is great as well.

The introduction was pretty long and there was a little too much dialogue for my interests - but it still held that Golden Sun charm. The battles so far have been too easy, which sucks as I don't think there's a hard mode either. They're even easier once you have the Djinn.

From what I've played though it still feels and plays like it's predecessors.

Also, my L/R buttons are screwed so I hate it that I have to us the touch screen to use Psynergy. I've tried blowing, sucking - practically everything and they still don't work...

zigg

solblade00 said:
The introduction was pretty long and there was a little too much dialogue for my interests - but it still held that Golden Sun charm.
You have pretty much described "that Golden Sun charm" right there :lol

Top Bottom