• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn |OT| DJINNS DJINNS DJINNS DJINNS oh god i am drowning in them

mandiller

The game came out in Australia today. I just picked up my copy this morning.

I'm really enjoying it. After a few hours its starting to feel like the good old Golden Sun I know. Great music, puzzles and graphics.

It also comes with a nice map like the original two games. I think the US version missed out for some reason though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This game looked ugly in screenshots and trailers.

I still would have preferred sprites or an art style similar to the Sun Saga cinematics, but it is really gorgeous. The colour palette is vibrant and there's always something interesting to look at. And in typical Golden Sun fashion, the summon sequences are amazing.

P.S. Sound effects are the same and I love Camelot for that.

mandiller said:
It also comes with a nice map like the original two games. I think the US version missed out for some reason though.

NoA are cheap fatherfuckers.

btkadams said:
i'm really torn on whether to get this or not. i loved golden sun 1 and 2 but the mixed reviews scare me. i also played with a strat guide in the last game so i could get all the djinn haha and i hope i can get them all without one this time (i've grown out of using guides).

Five hours in Dark Dawn it really is just another Golden Sun game, with the same pros and cons in a new coat of paint. I believe the mixed reviews are more indicative of the current status of jRPGs in the video game "journalism" industry than they are of the game's actual quality.

tl;dr if you liked the first two installments you will like this one

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Varion said:
Point 1 - When you enter the cave after the Konpa Ruins, you should have 7 Djinn, and the Zagan summon tablet.
Point 2 - Before you request the Arangoa Prelude, you should have 38 Djinn in your possession at that very moment (this will make sense at the time), and the Moloch, Ulysses and Haures summon tablets.
Point 3 - Before you release Eoleo you should have 45 Djinn and the Eclipse and Crystallux summon tablets.

Added this to the OP.

mandiller

MidnightScott said:
We don't get a map but Australia does? God NoA has been very shitty lately. >_>;

Well you got the game early. Here's two pics for those that missed out on the map. It's just the same sort of deal as in the GBA version. You'll look at it once then put it back in the box for all time.

S8JpU.jpg

R8Tkf.jpg

I'm really loving the game so far. I'm about four hours in and just got my fourth party member. The game was slow moving at first but now after being a few hours in I'm back to my old Golden Sun addiction.

I really love the graphics. This game is really gorgeous even those some screens wont show it. Great game engine and art style. The battles and animations are just as fast paced as the originals as well which is great. It really has the same feel about it, but now in polygons.

The story is picking up pace and is a lot more interesting after the first few hours. Really liking it.

Mael

YAY Megeara is BACK, my fav summon despite being vastly underpowered :lol

Wait a minute! the map of the world.... it's only slightly bigger than the one from the first GS (okay more than twice the size but still)!
That's weird! Can't wait till the 10th to see why the hell is that

Ricker

Still early on...I seen 1 Djinn in the town you do the trial that I can`t get to for now I guess and now i`m running after another one,it`s the area with the petals on the ground that you have to do something with Whirlwind on them...but i`m stuck,not sure what to do there...they rise and float for a bit but then they fall back down,I can`t rise standing on them or anything...maybe I shouldn`t be there now,there was another entrance(Gomba ruins I think just to the right maybe i`ll go there)....I just want to make sure I don`t miss any Djinn because I can`t backtrack to some places hehe...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ricker said:
Still early on...I seen 1 Djinn in the town you do the trial that I can`t get to for now I guess and now i`m running after another one,it`s the area with the petals on the ground that you have to do something with Whirlwind on them...but i`m stuck,not sure what to do there...they rise and float for a bit but then they fall back down,I can`t rise standing on them or anything...maybe I shouldn`t be there now,there was another entrance(Gomba ruins I think just to the right maybe i`ll go there)....I just want to make sure I don`t miss any Djinn because I can`t backtrack to some places hehe...
I can assure you all Djinni in that part of the game are obtainable as soon as you see them.

For the one in the synergy training area move the logs in the area where the kids are runnin around and climb the tree. You should create a path leadin to the Easth and a vine you can use Growth on.

To gt to the floating flowers you need to climb the trees.

Mael

Regulus Tera said:
I can assure you all Djinni in that part of the game are obtainable as soon as you see them.

For the one in the synergy training area move the logs in the area where the kids are runnin around and climb the tree. You should create a path leadin to the Easth and a vine you can use Growth on.

To gt to the floating flowers you need to climb the trees.

Thank you for spoilering that info

Boney

Banned
Mael said:
Thank you for spoilering that info
I don't know man, it's not like there'sa keyword spoiler, you knew whatthey were talking about and looks like a simple puzzle from the begining to me.

I guess people can be more sensitive bout this stuff.

Mael

Boney said:
I don't know man, it's not like there'sa keyword spoiler, you knew whatthey were talking about and looks like a simple puzzle from the begining to me.

I guess people can be more sensitive bout this stuff.

The game is not even out here until next week, let's try to avoid any hidden stuffs spoilered early on.
Half the fun in GS is actually resolving the puzzles after all :/

Ricker

Ok thanks for the answers guys...I`ll try and spoiler those kind of /questionpuzzles or ask for the answers to be spoilered from now on,my bad ;)

Varion

Oh and OP, slight screwup in the list you've now put in the OP, forgot you actually get
Crystallux
after that point, and it shouldn't be missable anyway, so it shouldn't be on the list. Sorry, my bad.

Also I wish the Japanese release had came with a map too :( I got nothing. Golden Sun 4 needs a limited edition with a super cloth map of the new world like the one that comes with Ys Seven. I'd buy it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
It's easy, yeah. And it's supposedly about thirty hours long, but I'm surely going to do a lot more since I'm exploring every nook and cranny.

Okay now I'm sure the encounter rate in the overworld got bumped. I get a random encounter every ten steps or so.

On the other hand, the dungeons are almost devoid of random encounters.

Ranger X

Regulus Tera said:
It's easy, yeah. And it's supposedly about thirty hours long, but I'm surely going to do a lot more since I'm exploring every nook and cranny.

Okay now I'm sure the encounter rate in the overworld got bumped. I get a random encounter every ten steps or so.

On the other hand, the dungeons are almost devoid of random encounters.

Cool. No grinding = me interested.
Might be my first Golden Sun :)

Glix

It looks like that map is the same as the last page of the US instruction book.

So if you are in the US and want/need to use the map, at least it is there for you.

** This message is aimed at people that don't bother ever opening/looking at the instruction book **

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ranger X said:
Cool. No grinding = me interested.
Might be my first Golden Sun :)

Get the first two games. They are pretty much the same, but with sprites instead of 3D models.

I tend to find both used at Gamestop for less than ten bucks.

bubnbob

Banned
You can save anywhere, which is a huge plus (I think it was like this in 1&2)

As for no grinding. Its not required, imo, but I would be cautious not to lose progress on a boss fight who farts on you in one go. The
three soldiers when you meet Rief
did some nice damage to me, and they had the Psy draining attack as well.

Crazetex

I'm not usually one to care about graphics - I still play some NES games - but man, this game looks kind of gross.

It doesn't help that the dialogue in the first two games is horrendous. The puzzles in GS2 were okay, but to be honest were too much. I dunno, I want to like Golden Sun but can't do it.

EDIT: Okay, Issac is hot.

btkadams

Crazetex said:
I'm not usually one to care about graphics - I still play some NES games - but man, this game looks kind of gross.

It doesn't help that the dialogue in the first two games is horrendous. The puzzles in GS2 were okay, but to be honest were too much. I dunno, I want to like Golden Sun but can't do it.

EDIT: Okay, Issac is hot.
ew neckbeard haha.

Flare

I've been playing this game almost non-stop, it's amazing - especially after the story picks up. I think I might have encountered the hardest boss yet in the game...
The Ice Queen. Actually managed to down Karis, then I summoned Meteor and everything was over.

I managed to collect every Djinn so far, I think I may hit the second point of no-return soon. By the way,
The Clouds of Passaj and the ruins on craggy peak are amazing (especially the ruin)

The summons look crazy, I'm loving the animations - Judgement remains awesome. I'm actually just waiting for either Eclipse or Catastrophe.

Hylian7

mandiller said:
You can get all those djinni now already. Just saying ;-)

The permanently missable stuff in this game is a pity.
Wait a minute. You really can't come back, ever?! I assumed as soon as you manage to get back to the other side of the mountains you would be able to, is this incorrect? Am I going to have to start my whole damn file over?!

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Picked it up yesterday and took my sweet ass time reading the manual to create some build-up before I started playing the game.

This and Legends 3 have been long overdue but I can finally say Welcome home friends

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Hylian7 said:
Wait a minute. You really can't come back, ever?! I assumed as soon as you manage to get back to the other side of the mountains you would be able to, is this incorrect? Am I going to have to start my whole damn file over?!

Yes. Unless the sequel allows you to capture those missing Djinns.

I plan to get this next year, when I finish GS2; but I want to know if Camelot fixed the horrible item management because damn, it's pretty awful so far (Returning to Madra).

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Sgt.Pepper said:
I plan to get this next year, when I finish GS2; but I want to know if Camelot fixed the horrible item management because damn, it's pretty awful so far (Returning to Madra).
Nope.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sgt.Pepper said:

It actually got worse. :(

totowhoa

Banned
Serenade said:

Been a bit since I read a review, but I thought they streamlined it a bit so it was a bit less annoying? I know they still kept the same premise, though. It's been ages since I played the old games, so I don't can't really make any comparisons (played 'em day one, but not since).

Edit:
Regulus Tera said:
It actually got worse. :(

fuuuu--

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Sgt.Pepper said:
Oh come on! You can't be serious, how it can be worse?

It's set in a linear pattern instead of a grid one, so it's more difficult to tell how much space you actually have in your inventory. :|

Regulus Tera said:
It's set in a linear pattern instead of a grid one, so it's more difficult to tell how much space you actually have in your inventory. :|
How they couldn't fix the item management? I think that was one of the biggest critics people had with both previous entries. :\

btkadams

Regulus Tera said:
Well Camelot also introduced permanently missable items/Djinns with this installment, so...
whatever, if its just up to the point
right before you meet your 4th party member. then i will just use a strategy guide until that point and just wing the rest of the game.
it is fine after that point right?

Hiltz

So is this game worth buying ? The reviews for it seem to be underwhelming.

Was a fan of the first Golden Sun but never played the sequel.

Varion

btkadams said:
right before you meet your 4th party member. then i will just use a strategy guide until that point and just wing the rest of the game.
Nope, afraid not. There are more.

Oh and just in case my last post got missed, could you take
Crystallux
out of the missable points list in the OP Regulus? Thanks.

Flare

Hiltz said:
So is this game worth buying ? The reviews for it seem to be underwhelming.

Was a fan of the first Golden Sun but never played the sequel.

Buy the second and play through that. I know that many would consider otherwise - but I liked the second game better especially during the second half when things picked up.

Also if you're a fan, there's no doubt you won't enjoy this game. It's amazing how much Camelot has expanded the Golden Sun lore in this game. It has its problems but overall it's still an amazing game. I'm glad this franchise is back.

btkadams said:

I usually just use the Djinn guide from gamefaqs. I feel that gives me less spoilers than a full strategy guide, yet still informs me that I'm about to hit a point of no return for djinn and the summons.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm so in love with the encyclopedia and Djinn Guide features. They are so awesome and would only be more awesome if they included recipes and anecdotes and bestiaries like in FFXII.
Varion said:
Oh and just in case my last post got missed, could you take
Crystallux
out of the missable points list in the OP Regulus? Thanks.

No, it shall forever stay there as proof of your shame.

JKTrix

I like how they have 3 different ways of telling you the backstory in-game, 4 if you count the encyclopaedia descriptions.

Ricker

JKTrix said:
I like how they have 3 different ways of telling you the backstory in-game, 4 if you count the encyclopaedia descriptions.

It`s a little overkill though at times...I have been told about 300 times now ;) about adepts and what happened 30 years ago and so on in about 3 hours of gaming hehe...

Man,i`m having a hard time with the puzzles in this game,especially in area`s where there`s some random battles when you try and figure out path puzzles and stuff that reset if you leave and come back...you try stuff,it drains PP,I have go back to the Inn to refill,rinse and repeat,figure stuff out,random battle...

Top Bottom