• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn |OT| DJINNS DJINNS DJINNS DJINNS oh god i am drowning in them

Ricker

VOOK said:
Hours of dialogue? Must be Golden Sun.

Loving this so far. :D

Loving it also so far...I love the way the character change a bit graphic wise when you enter battle from the regular ones....i`m playing with the stylus only so far,it works well,i like the nice touch they added when an important word is highlighted in the text bubble,you can tap on it and an explanation pops up in the top window,with a feather writing down comments on it...also the summons so far are great,using the 2 screens...

I`m stuck already though :lol ...maybe it`s something with the stylus i`m not doing right(near Tyrell and that vortex part).

zigg

Ricker said:
i`m playing with the stylus only so far,it works well

I fell into d-pad pretty quickly, actually. I'd always be futzing around with the stylus to try to go into doors or what-not.

bubnbob

Banned
Ricker said:
Loving it also so far...I love the way the character change a bit graphic wise when you enter battle from the regular ones....i`m playing with the stylus only so far,it works well,i like the nice touch they added when an important word is highlighted in the text bubble,you can tap on it and an explanation pops up in the top window,with a feather writing down comments on it...also the summons so far are great,using the 2 screens...

I`m stuck already though :lol ...maybe it`s something with the stylus i`m not doing right(near Tyrell and that vortex part).

Use Growth near the plant. Stand behind the root.

bubnbob

Banned
Growth works in a radius. If the plant isnt in the radius it wont grow. It selects it automatically if its the only object.

zigg

Easystride said:
Has anyone have their Amazon order ship yet? Mine has an estimate of Dec 2, but it hasn't even changed to shipping soon.

If I had to guess, Amazon ordered too few copies. Hopefully Nintendo won't have to print more...

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The intro is long-winded, but it does get you into the mindset of a Psx-era JRPG.

Also, it has a Spanish translation. Too bad NoA's Spanish department sucks balls.

Hylian7

I'm loving this game so far. Below is a little spoiler-filled progress report of where I am right now.

I just started the Alchemy Forge in Passaj and found out I need that mask. Also, I shat bricks when I saw that Alex was back earlier. It was pretty damn obvious it was him too. Also, fighting the "Dim Dragon" was great! I like the reference!

A non-spoiler point I would like to make: Anyone that says you don't need to play the first two games before this one is wrong. A lot of the storyline will be lost on you if you don't play the first ones first. For instance, if you didn't read the spoiler tag above, there is a character that comes back from the first two games, but doesn't reveal his identity. If you played the first two games, it's pretty obvious who he is, but if you didn't, you're shit out of luck until they (probably) eventually tell you who he is, and even then you might not care that much. Is anyone in here playing this without having played the first two games?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Easystride said:
Has anyone have their Amazon order ship yet? Mine has an estimate of Dec 2, but it hasn't even changed to shipping soon.
My Amazon preorder was also scheduled to arrive on the 2nd.
I cancelled it, walked into a nearby store a few hours ago, and bought the game in person.

Glix

Hylian7 said:
I'm loving this game so far. Below is a little spoiler-filled progress report of where I am right now.

I just started the Alchemy Forge in Passaj and found out I need that mask. Also, I shat bricks when I saw that Alex was back earlier. It was pretty damn obvious it was him too. Also, fighting the "Dim Dragon" was great! I like the reference!

A non-spoiler point I would like to make: Anyone that says you don't need to play the first two games before this one is wrong. A lot of the storyline will be lost on you if you don't play the first ones first. For instance, if you didn't read the spoiler tag above, there is a character that comes back from the first two games, but doesn't reveal his identity. If you played the first two games, it's pretty obvious who he is, but if you didn't, you're shit out of luck until they (probably) eventually tell you who he is, and even then you might not care that much. Is anyone in here playing this without having played the first two games?

I played the first one and bunch of the second. I barely remember them. I'd love to play them again first, but my DSI can't play them, and I don't like playing portable on emulators... Except maybe the GBA Wii emulator... Maybe I'll give it a shot, but they really look like ass on there.

Hylian7

Glix said:
I played the first one and bunch of the second. I barely remember them. I'd love to play them again first, but my DSI can't play them, and I don't like playing portable on emulators... Except maybe the GBA Wii emulator... Maybe I'll give it a shot, but they really look like ass on there.
Depending on how well you remember them, the game's Encyclopedia might help refresh your memory when you forget something. Basically you can tap words highlighted in red during speech and you'll see some details about it on the top screen. Usually it's stuff like characters' names, objects, or events in the game that you can do this on. I've sometimes used them if I remember that term from the original games and couldn't remember all the details, but the Encyclopedia helped refresh my memory on that.

Negator

Having a lot of fun with this game. Don't want to put it down. Damn you, work and final exams! About two hours in.

About the Djinns,
Are there 18 Djinns per element? Holy crap, there are 72 Djinns!?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Have to go to bed, but early thoughts:

• Tyrell's a doofus. At least his father was a fun wisecracker jerk with a heart of gold. Tyrell's just a spoiled brat.
  • Karis is cute.
  • That was the easiest first boss fight ever. I didn't even get to use Judgment, I just Cybeled and Torched him and he was dead in less than one turn.
  • Music is amazing. Sakuraba's back, baby.
  • All the Djinn sprites have to be ripped and converted to animated GIFs STAT.
  • The encounter rate in the overworld got higher.

Negator said:
Having a lot of fun with this game. Don't want to put it down. Damn you, work and final exams! About two hours in.

About the Djinns,
Are there 18 Djinns per element? Holy crap, there are 72 Djinns!?

Same as in The Lost Age.

Actually, the Djinn guide includes extra entries for Mars and Venus, which are for the ones Isaac and Garet keep. Possible indication of a sequel if you ask me!

Mikey Jr.

Just beat the first boss.

Wow, this game is stupid easy. Like, it honestly feels like it's meant for 5 year olds. Theres no point NOT to spam the fuck out of Djinns. Use them, then if the enemy is lucky to be alive, summon them, the walk around for 3 steps, and everything goes back to normal.

Normal attacks seem almost useless. Same with psyenergy which regens really quickly.

Mind you, only about 2 hours in, so I guess something could change.

Negator

Regulus Tera said:
Same as in The Lost Age.

Actually, the Djinn guide includes extra entries for Mars and Venus, which are for the ones Isaac and Garet keep. Possible indication of a sequel if you ask me!

I don't remember much about TLA, can you refresh my memory?

I don't remember which podcast said this, but I remember hearing someone mention that the game was easy.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Negator said:
I don't remember much about TLA, can you refresh my memory?

The Lost Age had seven Djinn for each of the eight party members, so 72 in total.

Negator said:
I don't remember which podcast said this, but I remember hearing someone mention that the game was easy.

Aside from the secret and end bosses, Golden Sun has never been a difficult series.

Giolon

Regulus Tera said:
Aside from the secret and end bosses, Golden Sun has never been a difficult series.

Yeah, you know I read all these reviews stating that this game is so much easier than the earlier ones, but I don't remember them being all that difficult - and I've played through GS1 at least twice. The only hard bosses I can remember is Pirate Dreadbeard or whatever, the hidden boss, and the last boss.

Anyhow, I picked up DD today, and after spending so much time with DQIX recently, DD feels a bit...mmm...off is the best I can put it. Something about the movement, the way you have to hit A to scroll through every line of the battle log, the fact that it doesn't tell you how much more XP until your next level, the interface feels clunky and overly complicated.

Maybe I just need a break from JRPGs before I seriously work through this game.

Hylian7

Regulus Tera said:
The first boss is the end of the tutorial, to be fair. Not that I've heard it gets hard or anything.
Perhaps the first boss was supposed to be a "joke" boss? Because of what it is. If you played the first two you'll get it.

Disguises

Giolon said:
Yeah, you know I read all these reviews stating that this game is so much easier than the earlier ones, but I don't remember them being all that difficult - and I've played through GS1 at least twice. The only hard bosses I can remember is Pirate Dreadbeard or whatever, the hidden boss, and the last boss.

Anyhow, I picked up DD today, and after spending so much time with DQIX recently, DD feels a bit...mmm...off is the best I can put it. Something about the movement, the way you have to hit A to scroll through every line of the battle log, the fact that it doesn't tell you how much more XP until your next level, the interface feels clunky and overly complicated.

Maybe I just need a break from JRPGs before I seriously work through this game.

Well, you can hold 'b' to speed up the text and animation, which makes battles much faster. I'm sure you can check the experience you need in the stats screen too? And yes, the interface is very clunky! Especially managing items :/

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Giolon said:

Status screen, select EXP accumulated.

Also select the fastest text speed.

MrDaravon

Amazon just told me my order was delayed until December 16th - 23rd? What the shit? Cancelled, will walk into a store and get it . What the hell.

AwRy108

SailorDaravon said:
Amazon just told me my order was delayed until December 16th - 23rd? What the shit? Cancelled, will walk into a store and get it . What the hell.

KMart is offering a $15 giftcard when you purchase this game.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
AwRy108 said:
KMart is offering a $15 giftcard when you purchase this game.

It's actually a coupon if you get it in the store. The best part though, is that you can also get Dragon Quest IX for half price, for if you don't already have it, or if you want to give it as a gift (and thus hopefully be able to get one player tag). Then if you purchase both, there's some deal where you get another $10 coupon for purchasing $39.99 in games. People thought at first that it had to be a single title that met that minimum price, but apparently combining titles that meet the minimum will spit out the coupon.

I had $35 worth of coupons from prior purchases, so for $15 plus tax I got Golden Sun, Dragon Quest IX again, and another $25 worth of coupons to use later.

This game is amazingly good. Also the most beautiful 3D DS game I've played graphically and animation-wise.

I have a question though... does the game ever stop holding your hand this hardcore? I'm at the end of the first dungeon and the game never lets me think for myself. As soon as I do something, and I know what to do next, the game likes to zoom in on things I already know. Like let's say I get a key of some kind, the game will zoom in on a door in the other room. I KNEW IT GOES THERE, DAMNIT! Stop telling me everything!

Please tell me the entire game isn't like this.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
That's just for the tutorial phase.

POINT OF NO RETURN WARNING

Make sure you have seven Djinn and one Summon Tablet before you get your fourth party member. You cannot go back after this.

Fucking Camelot why would they do that?

Hylian7

Regulus Tera said:

Make sure you have seven Djinn and one Summon Tablet before you get your fourth party member. You cannot go back after this.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF, I didn't find a Summon Tablet before that point. I assumed you would able to go back at some point later in the game, right?

Boney

Banned
Regulus Tera said:

How early in the game is that bozo?

Giolon

Regulus Tera said:
Status screen, select EXP accumulated.

Also select the fastest text speed.

Jesus Christ, I didn't even realize you could select the different entries in the Status screen. This is what I mean about clunky UI.

There's a Djinn/Summon Tablet FAQ up on GameFAQs that looks supremely useful. It lists them in order (though tablets are categorized separately from Djinn) and makrs which ones are Permanently Missable (PM).

Boney

Banned
Scythesurge said:
Whoa Boney is back.
:)

Giolon said:
Jesus Christ, I didn't even realize you could select the different entries in the Status screen. This is what I mean about clunky UI.

There's a Djinn/Summon Tablet FAQ up on GameFAQs that looks supremely useful. It lists them in order (though tablets are categorized separately from Djinn) and makrs which ones are Permanently Missable (PM).
Cool, I'll check this out, don't wanna pick up the game and miss a djinn.

Varion

Boney said:
How early in the game is that bozo?
Pretty early. By the time you go into
the cave after Konpa Ruins
you should be checking you have the right numbers.

Unfortunately that isn't the only point of no return either :( It's really easy to miss world map djinn and some summons especially.

And the tablet is in
The Carver Lumberyard that you can reach between Carver's Camp and the Ruins

timnich

Is it just me or is there some really bad ghosting-like effect going on during the battles? It gives me a headache. Maybe its just my DSLite screen, but I don't notice it outside of battle. Luckily the battles are lightning fast, but way too easy.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ever since the game was first announced, I was both jubilant and concerned.
Between the switch to (questionable in stills, damn impressive in motion) 3D graphics and the large gap in time between GS2 and GS3, I was worried that the Camelot making this new sequel just wasn't the same Camelot that made all those amazing GB/C and GBA games.

But after spending about an hour and a half with it last night, I'm very happy to report that it looks, feels, sounds, and plays like a new Golden Sun. If it manages to follow in GS2's footsteps (rather than GS1's), we're in for a real treat.

The music, new and old, pulls on those nostalgic heart strings. The 3D graphics are surprisingly colorful, vivid, and well animated. It easily looks better than any of the SE/Matrix 3D engines, IMHO. And they managed to retain so many classic GS touches, despite the new technology. Everything from pre-set camera angles to the way the camera sweeps and pans.

The opening sequence was quite beautiful, and I love how it was book-ended by the classic GS overture.

Pretty much all of my concerns have melted away. For now.

btkadams

i'm really torn on whether to get this or not. i loved golden sun 1 and 2 but the mixed reviews scare me. i also played with a strat guide in the last game so i could get all the djinn haha and i hope i can get them all without one this time (i've grown out of using guides).

Hyunkel6

Varion said:
Pretty early. By the time you go into
the cave after Konpa Ruins
you should be checking you have the right numbers.

Unfortunately that isn't the only point of no return either :( It's really easy to miss world map djinn and some summons especially.

And the tablet is in
The Carver Lumberyard that you can reach between Carver's Camp and the Ruins
Oh god. Are you sure we can't get back to those places before the final dungeon or something?

Varion

btkadams said:
i'm really torn on whether to get this or not. i loved golden sun 1 and 2 but the mixed reviews scare me.
If you loved the first two I really can't see why you wouldn't enjoy this. What is about the 'mixed reviews' that concerns you? Almost all the negatives can really be said for the earlier games too.

Hyunkel6 said:
Oh god. Are you sure we can't get back to those places before the final dungeon or something?
Absolutely sure, I've tried :( The worst thing is the game doesn't really warn you either, once you've unwittingly triggered an event that's it, there's so going back. Funny thing is the one time the game does warn you, it's for a point you can actually go back to later on :lol Well, most of said area anyway.

btkadams

Varion said:
If you loved the first two I really can't see why you wouldn't enjoy this. What is about the 'mixed reviews' that concerns you? Almost all the negatives can really be said for the earlier games too.
i guess i don't remember the first games' reviews. were they about the same?? i thought they were pretty highly esteemed games.

Varion

btkadams said:
i guess i don't remember the first games' reviews. were they about the same?? i thought they were pretty highly esteemed games.
I think it was rated more highly simply because at the time full blown handheld RPGs were rarer than they are now. The same criticisms and praises were made at the time though, the Djinn and class systems and general series charm are all strong as ever, but in the same way the dialogue volume and low difficulty are still here too. Obviously it's your money, but I really think you'd be missing out if you liked the originals and didn't pick this up.

Incidentally if there's anyone who doesn't want to look at guides or whatever but wants to avoid missing any Djinn or summons, here's a little list of the points of no return, how many Djinn you should have by then and what missable summons you should have. Spoilers obviously, no way I could list them without.

Point 1 - When you enter the cave after the Konpa Ruins, you should have 7 Djinn, and the Zagan summon tablet.
Point 2 - Before you request the Arangoa Prelude, you should have 38 Djinn in your possession at that very moment (this will make sense at the time), and the Moloch, Ulysses and Haures summon tablets.
Point 3 - Before you release Eoleo you should have 45 Djinn and the Eclipse summon tablet.

btkadams said:

Different time. Many reviewers tend to just disregard the entire genre now. It's where the "JRPG 7/10" thing started.

Blackhead

Redarse
Giolon said:

Dang I counted 24 Permanently Missable Djinn. I'll have to make note of the point of no returns then come back to the guide and backtrack until I get them all.

I just found out I'll have to buy a DS as my reliable loaner has "lost" hers. I hope Golden Sun is worth it...

Varion said:
I think it was rated more highly simply because at the time full blown handheld RPGs were rarer than they are now. The same criticisms and praises were made at the time though, the Djinn and class systems and general series charm are all strong as ever, but in the same way the dialogue volume and low difficulty are still here too. Obviously it's your money, but I really think you'd be missing out if you liked the originals and didn't pick this up.

Incidentally if there's anyone who doesn't want to look at guides or whatever but wants to avoid missing any Djinn or summons, here's a little list of the points of no return, how many Djinn you should have by then and what missable summons you should have. Spoilers obviously, no way I could list them without.

Point 1 - When you enter the cave after the Konpa Ruins, you should have 7 Djinn, and the Zagan summon tablet.
Point 2 - Before you request the Arangoa Prelude, you should have 38 Djinn in your possession at that very moment (this will make sense at the time), and the Moloch, Ulysses and Haures summon tablets.
Point 3 - Before you release Eoleo you should have 45 Djinn and the Eclipse and Crystallux summon tablets.

Thanks for that. I wish there was some warning without spoilers but oh well.

Been playing for about 2 hours now. Really loving it. The music really takes me back to my childhood because I played the hell out of GS1 back then, and the soundtrack was burned in my memory. Looking forward to playing more.

Top Bottom