• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn |OT| DJINNS DJINNS DJINNS DJINNS oh god i am drowning in them

Boney

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Well Camelot also introduced permanently missable items/Djinns with this installment, so...
I guess it's as good as an excuse to replay the game when all is said and done.

:mad:

Vamphuntr

Got this 2 days ago. Pretty amazing game. In motion the game look so much pretty than in still shots, especially in battle. I love the puzzle and the feel of exploration you have trying to find summons and djinn. Currently I'm stuck though maybe someone can help?

How do you make it pass the cloud area?
I reversed the Alchemy forge with the Cold Snap ability and made it in the sky but it seems there is nothing I can do. There does not seem to be a path I can take and when using abilities it seems there is nothing to interact with :(

klez

Vamphuntr said:
How do you make it pass the cloud area?

Took me a minute there also, but remember they talk about the cloud and the wind before?

Loving the game so far but it is a bit easy. I like the low low encounter rate thou and some of the puzzles are clever. Just got to the snowy mountain but I gotta say the djinn you got early makes the game REALLY easy: ~10 hours in and you've already got 2 party heal djinn, 1 single heal, and 3 revival djinn! iirc 1st game you have a single party heal djinn and no revival djinn in mercury lighthouse and I think that's ~ 7-10 hours in.

rareside

Quick question. I'm at the first temple area of the game I think, and the girl in my party collapsed. One of my Djinn has the power to revive, but is this only in battle?

Can I not revive her with Djinn outside of battle? ARGGGG

Really annoying, I don't want to have to go back to the last inn to revive..

Boney

Banned
rareside said:
Quick question. I'm at the first temple area of the game I think, and the girl in my party collapsed. One of my Djinn has the power to revive, but is this only in battle?

Can I not revive her with Djinn outside of battle? ARGGGG

Really annoying, I don't want to have to go back to the last inn to revive..
Why not just use the Djinn? You can set it back inmediatly. It's not as if they dissapear after you use them.

rareside

Yeah, I used it once in battle to revive her, but I just thought there was a way to use the Djinn's revive abilities outside of battle.

Phenomic

Ahh good times and way of ahead of me GAF. I know some people have asked but was going to request someone to list the name of the location of the point of no returns in the game and the # of items I should have by that point. Glad I checked the OP because sure enough there they were!

Loving the game so far, yeah it's easy but it feels like Golden Sun. Just a light hearted purely fun adventure.

Actually, there is this great detailed sticky on the GS boards over on GF, which shows all missables, with locations only:

Cr1tical3rror said:
The below is adapted from Ben_not_benny's excellent guide with the purpose to be slightly less spoilerific

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- MISSABLES BEFORE FIRST POINT OF NO RETURN
- PONR: Rief joins the party
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mars -
Forge
- Patcher's Place
Jupiter -
Gust
- Goma Highlands Path
Mercury -
Chill
- Carver's Camp
Mars -
Fever
- World Map (South of Carver's Camp / West of Konpa Gate )
Venus -
Flower
- Konpa Gate
Jupiter -
Jolt
- Konpa Ruins
TABLET:
Zagan
- Logging area west of Konpa Ruins

- MISSABLES BEFORE SECOND POINT OF NO RETURN
- PONR: Activating the eclipse

Venus -
Brick
– Harapa
Jupiter -
Doldrum
- Craggy Peak Ruins
Mars -
Fury
- Te Rya
Mercury -
Dewdrop
- Teppe Ruins (needs fishing rod from Te Rya)
Venus -
Vine
- Teppe Ruins
Mercury -
Torren
t – Belinsk
Mercury -
Spout
– Belinsk
Venus -
Gears
- World Map (North of Border Town)
Jupiter -
Sirocco
- Border Town
Venus -
Furrow
- Island to the west of Port Rago
Mercury -
Coral
- Port Rago Docks
Venus -
Garland
- Kolima Village
Mars -
Glare
- Phantasmal Bog
Jupiter -
Wisp
- Saha Cistern
Mercury -
Teardrop
- Kolim Forest
Jupiter -
Puff
- Talon Peak
TABLET:
Moloch
- Cave northwest of Craggy Peak
TABLET:
Ulysses
- Mine northwest of Border Town
TABLET:
Haures
- Inn at Border Town (Need to have Dream Leaf from Kolima)

- MISSABLES BEFORE THIRD POINT OF NO RETURN
- PONR: Getting on the ship

Venus -
Chasm
- Belinsk Ruins
Mercury -
Pincer
– Belinsk
TABLET:
Eclipse
- Tower at Belinsk
TABLET:
Crystal Dragon
- Belinsk Opera House

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Yaaaay got the game earlier in the evening an played for like 3 hours straight til my DS battery went red! Great music! Cute retellings of the first game! Crazy time trial! Super fast battles with djinni kill bonuses intact! Woohoo!

Being prompted to go! is stupid especially when I have the dpad held down and holy crap you can play with the stylus but who in their right minds would do that? Activating psynergy feels so slow cause now theres button prompts and crap but hey at least ya can use diagonally and from more then one spot away now!

Also I think my game box is messed up cause when I took the booklets an inserts out there was like holes in it o_O

LordAlu

Lindsay said:
Yaaaay got the game earlier in the evening an played for like 3 hours straight til my DS battery went red! Great music! Cute retellings of the first game! Crazy time trial! Super fast battles with djinni kill bonuses intact! Woohoo!

Being prompted to go! is stupid especially when I have the dpad held down and holy crap you can play with the stylus but who in their right minds would do that? Activating psynergy feels so slow cause now theres button prompts and crap but hey at least ya can use diagonally and from more then one spot away now!

Also I think my game box is messed up cause when I took the booklets an inserts out there was like holes in it o_O
It's meant to be like that, it's supposedly more environmentally friendly :)

mandiller

Progress report:

I'm about 17 hours into the game now and am having a blast. The game is awesome. It starts off a bit tedious and boring but it really gets into the old Golden Sun swing a few hours in. Lots of towns to visit and things to do.

The only thing I'm really annoyed about is the permanently missable djinni and summon tablets. Because of this I'm playing the game with a list of all the djinni and summon tablets and where to find them next to me as I play. I haven't missed any, but it kinda sucks that I have to resort to either using a guide or be screwed over. Not much of a choice.

Not being able to return to some places is silly. I wish the game wouldn't do that. But aside from that, it's a great game and worthy sequel.

Regulus Tera said:
It's set in a linear pattern instead of a grid one, so it's more difficult to tell how much space you actually have in your inventory. :|

Look at the top screen, you'll see the grid for each character as you scroll through them, shows you exactly how much space they have left. I just notice this.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I think I may have gotten myself ahead to the Harapa Ruins a bit early. I actually had a somewhat decent fight with the boss there. :lol

But I missed that entire sequence at the Peak. :( Time to Youtube it.

Giolon

Regulus Tera said:
Well Camelot also introduced permanently missable items/Djinns with this installment, so...

I'm pretty sure GS1 had permanently missable Djinn as well, not to mention the Djinn that only existed in GS1 and had to be imported to GS2.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Giolon said:
I'm pretty sure GS1 had permanently missable Djinn as well, not to mention the Djinn that only existed in GS1 and had to be imported to GS2.

Some of those missable Djinn were catchable in GS2, but only a limited number of them.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
This is my favourite adventure game since A Link to the Past. Those water puzzles and the ones after Passaj are mindblowing.

As an RPG, Dragon Quest IX is still the one to beat this year.

Phenomic

Regulus Tera said:
This is my favourite adventure game since A Link to the Past. Those water puzzles and the ones after Passaj are mindblowing.

As an RPG, Dragon Quest IX is still the one to beat this year.

This sounds really promising, can't wait to get wherever that is :lol . Also I'm in luck because I can't stand Dragon Quest personally, so it's automatically got an edge since I've lacked the will and desire to play DQ9. Hurray.

Even just being as far as I am I'm having a blast,
doing the Adept Training Grounds and using the flowers to jump on as puzzles with Whirlwind.

Flare

So I just encountered and passed the second point of no return last night.

When you're in the Eclipse Tower in Belinsk.

I have to say, the game really stepped up to another level during that section of the game. I liked the varied puzzles and the same time the story kept me going until it was 7:30 AM - good thing it's Sunday.

Also the game just became pretty dark.
I don't think the previous two installment had this much death - it really was quite surprising. I still welcome it though (Poor Briggs and Volechek)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Blaaaargh wwhaaaat at that missable list? I missed a mercury already?! But I swear I looked over every part of Carvers place! I'm over 6 hours now I can't restart ohhh whyyyyyy >_<;

LordAlu said:
It's meant to be like that, it's supposedly more environmentally friendly :)

Friendlier to Nintendos pockets if anything ~_~; Are all DS games like this now? 3rd party games to? The last one I got was DQIX and that has a normal box.

Vamphuntr

I think I'm at the worst place in the game plot wise and pacing wise. I've already been to 4 towns in 20 minutes with each town visited adding more fetch quests and complicating the way to the main objective. They really went overboard in this part.

Find Kraden in this town. Oh he is not there already? Try the town to the west, to get there pass the border town. What the border town is closed? Instead help free a pirate's son of one of the character of the past games. What there is no way to free him? Try going to the sage in the northern forest for advice. You want to get the beastlady back in your party? Ask the ministrels in town to play this specific song. Oh no the ministrels are on a trip, you must find them all

I've acquired many summons and djinns and I've yet to use most of them since there were no boss battles since the
Ice Queen
. Most battles are over in one round and you rarely have to buy stuff since most of the stuff in chests or hidden in barrels are way better than what is being sold in store.

Hyunkel6

solblade00 said:
So I just encountered and passed the second point of no return last night.

When you're in the Eclipse Tower in Belinsk.

I have to say, the game really stepped up to another level during that section of the game. I liked the varied puzzles and the same time the story kept me going until it was 7:30 AM - good thing it's Sunday.

Also the game just became pretty dark.
I don't think the previous two installment had this much death - it really was quite surprising. I still welcome it though (Poor Briggs and Volechek)
I just passed this point myself. And yeah, I was also surprised to find
corpses
all over town. The difficulty also ramped up a bit. The game was smooth sailing until I encountered those
dark creatures
. I actually had to use revive for the first time in the game. :lol

Flare

Hyunkel6 said:
I just passed this point myself. And yeah, I was also surprised to find
corpses
all over town. The difficulty also ramped up a bit. The game was smooth sailing until I encountered those
dark creatures
. I actually had to use revive for the first time in the game. :lol

I'm actually glad that it did. I can't believe that I haven't been forced to use my Psynergy in battle by now. The difficulty is the only thing killing this game for me.

Also I wasn't expecting the
Crystal Dragon
to show up as a summon. That was so bad ass :D

CoolS

timnich said:
Is it just me or is there some really bad ghosting-like effect going on during the battles? It gives me a headache. Maybe its just my DSLite screen, but I don't notice it outside of battle. Luckily the battles are lightning fast, but way too easy.

Has anyone else noticed this? Just bought the game and it's the same for me. Seem reeeeeally weird.

zigg

CoolS said:
Has anyone else noticed this? Just bought the game and it's the same for me. Seem reeeeeally weird.
Yeah. It's an intentional effect. I kinda liked it, sorry to hear it's troublesome...

Althane

Wanting to know if I missed something:

I'm at Harapa right after the temple, and I have (I think) 9 Djinn, 2 on each character, with 3 on Tyrell... so that's 2 of each type but Mercury which has 3. So am I on course?

I found one in a random encounter and hope that doesn't become common. Didn't know there was going to be points of no return. =\

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Yeah I think you already missed one or two random encounter Djinni. Oops.

I love how the entire sequence in
Kolima Forest is stealth commentary on jRPGs tropes

Varion

Althane said:
Wanting to know if I missed something:

I'm at Harapa right after the temple, and I have (I think) 9 Djinn, 2 on each character, with 3 on Tyrell... so that's 2 of each type but Mercury which has 3. So am I on course?

I found one in a random encounter and hope that doesn't become common. Didn't know there was going to be points of no return. =\
After
Barai
Temple? Sounds like you're probably missing some :( You should've had 8 when you entered Harapa for the first time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Phenomic said:
This sounds really promising, can't wait to get wherever that is :lol . Also I'm in luck because I can't stand Dragon Quest personally, so it's automatically got an edge since I've lacked the will and desire to play DQ9. Hurray.

When I say it is not as good as an RPG is because of the difficulty. I love the combat system a lot, but there's hardly anything that challenges me to use it well. I hear there's a difficulty spike twenty-five hours in, but so far this is really a "comfort" game.

One thing I have to complain about is "free" Djinni. When you get a party member they already come with some Djinni equipped. My favourite part of the game is the sense of accomplishment you get after capturing them, so that's selling me short. :(

Althane

Varion said:
After
Barai
Temple? Sounds like you're probably missing some :( You should've had 8 when you entered Harapa for the first time.

Kopai temple or whatever, I think.

I think I'm up to date, then. I had 2 on each character, then got the fire one in Harapa (or maybe I'm misremembering town names, it's the one right after you pick up the water adept).

Varion

Althane said:
Kopai temple or whatever, I think.

I think I'm up to date, then. I had 2 on each character, then got the fire one in Harapa (or maybe I'm misremembering town names, it's the one right after you pick up the water adept).
Yeah, you're on track then.

Also, yeah, there are a fair amount of missable world map djinn after this point as well, so if you want to be sure you'll either have to check every area of the world map for them or use some kind of guide.

Varion

That was probably the one that gave me the most trouble too. It was a bit annoying to find out that you can cheat it by
using Amiti's Insight psynergy
but way more rewarding to not use it anyway.

Wouldn't have said no to a few more hard puzzles in the game, there didn't feel like there was as many challenging ones as TLA.

Sorry if this has already been asked, but do I get any kind of bonus for having a fully completed golden sun: the lost age cartridge in the GBA slot?

Earthstrike said:
Sorry if this has already been asked, but do I get any kind of bonus for having a fully completed golden sun: the lost age cartridge in the GBA slot?
None. There is no data transfer, unfortunately.

I beat the game today. It took 26 hours. Overall, a very enjoyable game. Great music, fast battle system, and lots of cool weapons to mess around with.

Some thoughts on the ending (spoilers obviously):
The cliffhanger ending was such a disappointment. During the whole end scene when they were in Belisink, I was thinking it was some pseudo-ending, and something bad was going to happen. I thought for sure there would be one more dungeon, and one more final boss battle.

CoolS

Been playing for 4 hours or so now, untill the first point of no return and really love it so far.

I've also been reading up the announcement threads for this game, and it's kinda sad that there aren't more people talking about this after everyone was so excited and happy for a new Golden Sun Game :(

So I'm about halfway through the Konpa ruins and have 2 earth, 2 fire, 2 wind, and 1 water djinn as well as one summon tablet. Have I missed anything so far?

Mael

Just defeated the first boss, man I love this game!
The revisitation of the summons are A W E S O M E
I still love using Apocalypse :D,
that actually one shotted the boss :lol

I feared that the game would suffer from the transition to 3D like Alundra and other games before but no it's actually great that way and really feels like a 3D Golden Sun game (everything was CG in that game anyway).

the battle system is as awesome as before, I hope there's an arena too but it doesn't seem to be accessible in the starting menu like before....

And I really like the emoticones system :lol so pointless and so golden sun.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
hypersheep said:
So I'm about halfway through the Konpa ruins and have 2 earth, 2 fire, 2 wind, and 1 water djinn as well as one summon tablet. Have I missed anything so far?

Nope, you're set to go.

Mael

Oh btw, we pal people got the map the australians got.

S8JpU.jpg

*shamelessly ripped from last page*

Top Bottom