• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goldeneye 007 maps in Rogue Agent...

Kon Tiki

Banned
Tweak = graphics/(new)weapon balance.

ManaByte said:
So? I have Goldeneye 64 maps in UT2004 :) And they're probably more fun than the EA versions.
Which ones? I have a couple of PD maps, could not find any decent GE64 conversions.

Catalyst

Banned
ManaByte said:
So? I have Goldeneye 64 maps in UT2004 :) And they're probably more fun than the EA versions.
Hot damn. I'll have to buy a new PC for that shit, then. Good grief. I remember back in the days where I'd always kick my friends' asses in Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Now I'll have to get another computer to play the new UT games (meh, had a beautiful PC before lightning struck it...back to old Pentium II system) and whoop some more ass.

Either way, this is good news for die-hard Goldeneye fans and console FPS fans alike. Bring on the temple.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Society said:

Which ones? I have a couple of PD maps, could not find any decent GE64 conversions.

I was playing temple the other night. I don't find them, just download them when I connect to a server running them,

Ristamar

Espio said:
How can EA do this? Can't Rare/Nintendo sue the pants off of them?

I would assume that even though Nintendo owns the N64 GE game content, it might be hard to bring a lawsuit against someone for having a few similar looking maps. On top of that, it'd be pretty dumb and not worth the effort.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Ristamar said:
I would assume that even though Nintendo owns the GE content, it might be hard to bring a lawsuit against someone for having a few similar looking maps. On top of that, it'd be pretty dumb and not worth the effort.
DataEast.

Laurent

But the most known case happened in the late NES days and actually didn't have anything to do with their NES games. In 1994 a lawsuit took place, Capcom Vs. Data East Corporation/Data East ISA, Inc. Capcom sued Data East for copying their Street Fighter games' characters and features because of a game Data East had released in 1993 called Fighter's History. However the court dismissed the case.
http://www.nesworld.com/dataeast.htm

It wasn't Data East, but Capcom which showed obvious signs of stupidity...

Kon Tiki

Banned
On top of that, it'd be pretty dumb and not worth the effort.

I was refering to that. Capcom sued DataEast for using similiar movesets and charcters in Fighter's History. Was pretty dumb and, in the end, was not worth the effort (DataEast won).

It wasn't Data East, but Capcom which showed obvious signs of stupidity...

Should of said DataEast case. :p

Ristamar

So this points to...
a) Not worth the effort given the precedent?
b) A company has sued before, so they'll likely try again, regardless of the dismissal?

EDIT: I see. The answer is A. So I was right, even in my own ignorance. :)

Catalyst

Banned
While all your posts about suing are great and all, I don't see any reason to sue EA over the maps. The fact that Rogue Agent will be on a Nintendo console with old N64 Goldeneye maps is more than enough to be proud. So suing EA would be utterly worthless and illogical.

Laurent

It depends how far did Rareware followed the location maps from the movie. If Rareware received definitive and detailed maps from Danjaq/MGM, then it's a nutshell...

GDGF

Soothsayer
Laurent said:
It depends how far did Rareware followed the location maps from the movie. If Rareware received definitive and detailed maps from Danjaq/MGM, then it's a nutshell...

Rareware modeled them from the actual blueprints used to create the sets in the movie. I remember reading that in a very old Nintendo Power :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Catalyst said:
While all your posts about suing are great and all, I don't see any reason to sue EA over the maps. The fact that Rogue Agent will be on a Nintendo console with old N64 Goldeneye maps is more than enough to be proud. So suing EA would be utterly worthless and illogical.
The fact that this is a thread indicates the inclusion of GoldenEye 007 maps in Rogue Agent is a selling point for people. It certainly perked my ears up. I would think Nintendo could, if it wanted, sue EA over it as it would earn EA money, on Nintendo platforms and others.

It's not going to happen because of the dynamics of console manufacturers' relationships with publishers, but in any other industry there wouldn't even be a second thought about it. They'd be firing up lawsuits right away. But Nintendo would be forced to step pretty damned carefully considering they depend on EA a lot, and EA is one major player in the industry.

Not all the maps had anything to do with the movie.

snapty00

Banned
Sounds to me like Nintendo, Rare, and Microsoft own absolutely nothing regarding GoldenEye for Nintendo 64. For obvious reasons, they don't own the characters or music. They don't own the name. And now, it's obvious that they don't own the level designs, either. I don't think they have any attachment whatsoever to the game anymore, other than the right to say that they (Nintendo/Rare) developed the Nintendo 64 version.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
snapty00 said:
Sounds to me like Nintendo, Rare, and Microsoft own absolutely nothing regarding GoldenEye for Nintendo 64. For obvious reasons, they don't own the characters or music. They don't own the name. And now, it's obvious that they don't own the level designs, either. I don't think they have any attachment whatsoever to the game anymore, other than the right to say that they (Nintendo/Rare) developed the Nintendo 64 version.
Nintendo owns 100% of the game's code. Neither Rare nor Microsoft has anything to do with it.

Hero

Who else but Nintendo would have the code for Goldeneye 007?

I wouldn't be surprised if the only way to get the levels is if you have the Gamecube version.

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
snapty00 said:

Nintendo got the right from MGM and asked Rare to make a game for them around it.
Rare(now Microsoft) own nothing. Nintendo owns the game code but not the right to use the license anymore. EA has probably payed Nintendo a small something or is providing some kind of services to them (see more support, .... )

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
snapty00 said:
Source? I've never heard that before.

just a quick look http://www.zoonamisucks.com/features/goldeneye/02.php

The GoldenEye story begins in November 1994. I had been at Rare just one year. We'd recently finished work on Killer Instinct Coin-Op. I was second programmer. It was roughly a 10-person one-year project. Now I was heavily researching the new Ultra 64 graphics capabilities, and wondering what I would be doing next. There was a rumour going around that Rare had been approached by Nintendo to do a game for a new Bond film. But nobody was that enthused.

Catalyst

Banned
Dan said:
The fact that this is a thread indicates the inclusion of GoldenEye 007 maps in Rogue Agent is a selling point for people. It certainly perked my ears up. I would think Nintendo could, if it wanted, sue EA over it as it would earn EA money, on Nintendo platforms and others.

It's not going to happen because of the dynamics of console manufacturers' relationships with publishers, but in any other industry there wouldn't even be a second thought about it. They'd be firing up lawsuits right away. But Nintendo would be forced to step pretty damned carefully considering they depend on EA a lot, and EA is one major player in the industry.
Yep, that's exactly what I mean.

Did I just see a zoonamisucks website? :lol

Laurent

snapty00 said:
They don't own the characters or the music, but they certainly own what they created: the levels designs. Although, for them to use those levels in another game, they would have to changes them a little or ask Danjaq/MGM's permission to use Goldeneye's related setup.

Although, if EA wants to incorporate some of the popular levels from the N64 game based on the movie, they will need to do exactly what Rareware did: create all of them following the blueprints from the movie. Of course, this wouldn't include "all the maps that weren't in the movie".

hirokazu

Society said:

point me towards these GE and PD maps...

EDIT: nvm, found the PD ones.

Phoenix

Besides which, you can't copyright a map outside of a 100% reproduction. If its close, or 'inspired by' or 'resembles' the original map - legally its considered a different entity.

Top Bottom