• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

faridmon

dark10x said:
I'm surprised and disappointed they didn't aim for 60 fps, to be honest. The Gamecube was pretty capable of such feats and I definitely see nothing here that suggests it would have been impossible. Eurocom is not Retro Studios, but this is 10 year old hardware here and they've spent a lot of time working with it. Surely they could have hit 60.

Still, compared to the N64 game, it's a much smoother experience (as it should be, of course).
stable framerate should be a requirment (in both 30 fps or 60fps). I really hate how many devs ignore this...

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Impressions so far:

-I liked the Dam. It had the old Goldeneye feel but was different enough to be interesting again.

-I didn't think I would care for the Bond Intro, but I was really impressed.

-I'm going to spend a long time configuring my controls. I played with the classic controller and gamecube controller ok. Using the wiimote was good for headshots, but it feels a little weird every now and then. I need to tweak a few settings. Is the classic controller pro that much better? Any wii zapper users here?

-The multiplayer maps I played on (only tried a few) were kinda ugly looking both technically and artistically. I swear even Nightfire had better looking maps. Map recommendations?

DangerStepp said:
:\

Does it look better during SP? Also, do you take damage from getting cut on the jaggies?
it's a wii game. so expecting a game without jaggies is not being reasonable.
This is coming from the Gargamel of jaggie haters by the way.

farnham

Banned
evanft said:
I found a decent configuration for the pointer controls that works somewhat, but it just doesn't feel right. I wish this were on the 360. It also wouldn't look like the Bond game I played in 2003.
there are two bond games on 360

bloodstone and quantum of solace

no need to portbeg for this.

farnham

Banned
I really hope this sells decently and Eurocom gets another gig or two for wii. (same with junction point and epic mickey)

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Anyone think Activision will pull off a NBA Jam and bring this to 360/PS3 later on?
they wont build golden eye from the ground up

if anything they will port this over. and a port of this will probably not look up to par to gears, call of duty etc. in other words it wont have any chance selling well.

DangerStepp

Always-honest said:
it's a wii game. so expecting a game without jaggies is not being reasonable.
This is coming from the Gargamel of jaggie haters by the way.

I figured as much--I just didn't expect that.

DangerStepp said:

Does it look better during SP? Also, do you take damage from getting cut on the jaggies?

Borderline trolling. Its the Wii FFS.

Just from watching the stream last night of the destructing facility its obvious that this game does a lot more than most 3rd party wii games try to, and from impressions here its obvious it does a lot very well. Personally, I can forgive a framerate drop here and there when things get busy, as long as the quality of the game itself is top notch. And particularly as its likely still twice the framerate of the original.

Eurocom deserve praise for a title like this, not snide comments about jaggies and people moaning about it not being on their platform. It does seem to look worse in multiplayer, but I think that was probably necessary for performance reasons.

KevinCow

Banned
DangerStepp said:

Looks a lot better with component cables on my TV. I had to use composite to capture it, then I had to use a filter to deinterlace it.

DangerStepp

radioheadrule83 said:
Borderline trolling. Its the Wii FFS.

Just from watching the stream last night of the destructing facility its obvious that this game does a lot more than most 3rd party wii games try to, and from impressions here its obvious it does a lot very well. Personally, I can forgive a framerate drop here and there when things get busy, as long as the quality of the game itself is top notch. And particularly as its likely still twice the framerate of the original.

Eurocom deserve praise for a title like this, not snide comments about jaggies and people moaning about it not being on their platform. It does seem to look worse in multiplayer, but I think that was probably necessary for performance reasons.

Okay, that's all I needed.

It came across as such, but I wasn't meaning to troll. I obviously haven't had enough experience with FPS Wii games.

KevinCow said:
Looks a lot better with component cables on my TV. I had to use composite to capture it, then I had to use a filter to deinterlace it.

Good point, I automatically assumed component cables would have been used in the YouTube video, but evidently not. :D

Zarovitch

The IR work well with me, but after many years of COD with Xbox controller it take some match to be comfortable with it. I really like leaning and how it look over table or other obstacle when i use the iron sight.

The only thing i don't like is to throw grenade with the plus button, i think i will change it for the minus, but now it'll be recharging that will bother me. I think i would prefer motion to throw grenade.

robjoh

farnham said:
I really hope this sells decently and Eurocom gets another gig or two for wii. (same with junction point and epic mickey)

if anything they will port this over. and a port of this will probably not look up to par to gears, call of duty etc. in other words it wont have any chance selling well.

Doesn't Nintendo own the rights to Golden Eye? Is that not the reason why it is exclusive to Wii and DS? So I don't think Activision are allowed to port anything to the competition.

pvpness

I'm really enjoying what I've played so far. It's delivered a lot more than I expected it too.

I'm terrible at it though. :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm up to 'Bunker' now.

Absolutely stoked at how good this game is. The gunplay is great, the stealth is fantastic, and the pacing of levels is really fantastic. I love the alternate routs, I love that outside of the forced action scenarios you can sneak around, and I love how dynamic and alive everything feels.

And the production values? Wow, just wow. Activision may have thrown big bucks behind this, but Eurocom deserve a huge pat on the back. The way they've built the levels, the visual and audio touches, as well as the layouts makes for some of the best looking Wii graphics right here. The Nightclub level was really spectacular, and the level before Bunker in the snow (the one I just did) is absolutely gorgeous.

Its not a perfect game, but its back-handed all the cynicism I had prior to the game's release. I'm having an absolute blast, and if it continues at this rate it will be the best Bond game since GoldenEye, in my opinion.

Effect

EDarkness said:
Not true at all. I go to a number of forums besides this one including the hated ones (Gamefaqs, IGN, etc.). My friends (who have the game already since they're in America) also have commented on the pointer controls. There hasn't been much about here, though, which I find strange. After chatting with a few more people, I pretty much have my answer, so there's no real point in bothering with it now.

That said, I've already paid for the game, it just hasn't arrived yet. I'm looking forward to going through the single player game. Looks like a lot of fun and apparently the IR works pretty well in that mode. It's online where it supposedly has a problem. Even so, I'm not so naive to not try it myself to see if the comments about have any weight, so I'm gonna try playing online via IR myself.

Fair enough.

I have to say I'm glad there are no kill streak rewards in the game like Call of Duty. While interesting they always seemed unfair. Not sure how I feel about being able to see where other players are on the map. Granted they don't show up unless they are near you. Even though you can tell where they, they clearly know where you are, who the winner is still up for grabs during an encounter. Not sure but do you get to pick your character in online multiplayer or is that just in local and it's random otherwise?

I really want to finish the single player first before going back online as I don't want to spoil myself when it comes to the locations.

Did anyone notice how during cut scenes the graphics take on a grainy film look. I do have one complaint and that is how slow you move when the smartphone is out. That seems out of place for what your holding.

EatChildren said:

I'm pretty much sold. I'm going to get this on the weekend hangover part 1 (Saturday). I barely have time for Fable though, let alone this, Sonic Colors and Call of Duty. Great month :D

always makes me smile to see Eurocom being praised because they're based in the city I grew up in.

so was Core actually. i don't think anyone would have guessed that Eurocom would outlast them back in the mid nineties.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
EDarkness said:
Not true at all. I go to a number of forums besides this one including the hated ones (Gamefaqs, IGN, etc.). My friends (who have the game already since they're in America) also have commented on the pointer controls. There hasn't been much about here, though, which I find strange. After chatting with a few more people, I pretty much have my answer, so there's no real point in bothering with it now.

That said, I've already paid for the game, it just hasn't arrived yet. I'm looking forward to going through the single player game. Looks like a lot of fun and apparently the IR works pretty well in that mode. It's online where it supposedly has a problem. Even so, I'm not so naive to not try it myself to see if the comments about have any weight, so I'm gonna try playing online via IR myself.

Which is your answer? Are the pointer controls bad in Online MP?

Amneisac said:
Can you remove the bounding box? I really hate that shit with a fiery passion.

Well you can't remove it entirely - that would be pretty irritating, but you can narrow it down to a very small one like Conduit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bond adjusts his cufflinks when the camera pans in on him, just like the old games :lol.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
KevinCow said:
Not at all. The pointer controls are good. Not as good as the Conduit, but still very good.

Kmart is a shithole. Not worth going even if they're having a good sale.

depends on which kmart you go to. The kmart I go to put games on the shelf as soon as they're off the truck including Goldeneye a few days ago.

EatChildren

insin said:
Can you tell me if it has a view lock button, which locks the camera so you can free aim without turning? Reflex had it mapped to holding A (which was also mapped to picking up weapons), with a tap of A being used to start sprinting.

There's no view lock. ADS is about as close as you can get.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
insin said:
I'm instinctively trying to make a pause menu come up to fix the bounding box and turning speed on your control setup.

Can you tell me if it has a view lock button, which locks the camera so you can free aim without turning? Reflex had it mapped to holding A (which was also mapped to picking up weapons), with a tap of A being used to start sprinting.

Useless feature.

GC|Simon

Dudes, played the game for nearly four hours (two campaign missions, then local multiplayer with brother and a friend). I waited for such a game since... nearly forever. My brother is playing it currently... I need to get my hands on it again!

EatChildren

SalsaShark said:
Getting this tomorrow i think.

We gonna get some matches going or what ?

I'm down, though being Australian the lag will no doubt be terrible :p.

Salsa

EatChildren said:

Im from Uruguay, but i had no lag with The Conduit for example. Why couldnt this be the same ?

KevinCow

Banned
insin said:
I'm instinctively trying to make a pause menu come up to fix the bounding box and turning speed on your control setup.

It does it the same way. Hold A to lock the view, hold A while over a weapon to pick it up, press A while walking forward to sprint.

EatChildren said:

Well plus your character would be upside down and that would be kinda weird.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I wish there was subbtitles, i dont get everything everyone says, especially guards in the middle of the game, outside of cutscenes.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:
Im from Uruguay, but i had no lag with The Conduit for example. Why couldnt this be the same ?
The fuck? TCon was unplayable for me (always stuck in a wall).

EatChildren

SalsaShark said:

Because this is Australia, where we dont have internet, but pigeons carrying binary code written on napkins.

And its a long way to fly to Uruguay.

KevinCow said:
Well plus your character would be upside down and that would be kinda weird.

I cant help my tactical advantage.

Salsa

Lonely1 said:
The fuck? TCon was unplayable for me (always stuck in a wall).

well thats weird :/

no lag in Mario Kart either.

EatChildren said:
Because this is Australia, where we dont have internet, but pigeons carrying binary code written on napkins.

And its a long way to fly to Uruguay.

Uruguay is far from the states man, everytime i play an online match on PC with US guys the lag makes it unplayable, with the Wii, not so much. I dont really have an explanation for it :lol

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
SalsaShark said:
Uruguay is far from the states man, everytime i play an online match on PC with US guys the lag makes it unplayable, with the Wii, not so much. I dont really have an explanation for it :lol
You were always the host... thus screwing everyone else.

Nemesis_

My opinion of the game has dramatically dropped since I have spent about 40 mnutes on the STREETS level. >=(

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
This is looking pretty awesome, I've put it up in the Wii recommendations thread. Man, this holiday season is insane for Wii owners.

EatChildren

What difficulty are well all playing?

Effect

I think I'm playing on Agent. That's like the normal setting right? The objectives are simple though. I think I might go back and up things but doing that means more objectives must be completed though or you fail the mission.

I didn't think 4v4 would work out to well but I liked it for the most part in the game I played. I was on the Docks map for the game I played. It was big enough for the most part with enough areas to travel through, hide in, etc. I think I killed myself twice though with grenades bouncing back at me. Took someone out with me the second time though. :lol

Compared to the World at War maps, for those that played that and now GE, does it seem the GoldenEye maps are more sized appropriate for 4v4 or 8 ffa?

The training room sequence at the beginning. I know Modern Warfare had it and now GoldenEye has it. Curious if Black Ops will have it as well or if World at War had it. Is this an Activision thing now with it's FPS?

farnham said:

Yeah, probably right.

But I wouldn't mind the online/multiplayer portion of it sold as a XBL title. I think that'd be pretty cool and sell pretty well, maybe with extra features, maps, characters, etc.

Top Bottom