• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Do the "map marker dots" [i.e. "50m"] go away in harder difficulties?

I don't like the idea of being hand-led through maps.

Threi

notag
I tried playing my first online match while recording for YT, 16:9 config in a 4:3 screen

cantseeshit.gif

anyways after trying out SP for 3 minutes I went to MP (no joke, i just got to where you enter the truck and was like "fuck it online time"). I spent half the match figuring out what button does what. watch for maximum hilarity :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sVD-cAoZ8Y

Threi said:
I tried playing my first online match while recording for YT, 16:9 config in a 4:3 screen

cantseeshit.gif

anyways after trying out SP for 3 minutes I went to MP (no joke, i just got to where you enter the truck and was like "fuck it online time"). I spent half the match figuring out what button does what. watch for maximum hilarity :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sVD-cAoZ8Y

I have a huge deja vu while watching this.
why? is there a similar stage in Red Steel? i can't remember

Threi

notag
btw the game does seem to run in a lower res online, it's probably the same res used for split screen multiplayer.

OMG Aero

So since it seems like the classic controller pro is the way to play this game, can someone answer a few questions about it for me? Firstly, what are the new shoulder buttons like? Are they good enough for a first person shooter? And what are the analog sticks like? I didn't really like the ones on the original classic controller because of the 8 way segmentation they had around the stick, unlike the Xbox and Playstation controllers which have a circle around the stick.

Cday

Banned
I often find myself spawning 5 feet from where I died only to get killed again. I thought we were past this by now but I guess not.

JaxJag

Banned
Does GoldenEye look as bad as the videos?

Because visually, at least from the videos, it's one of the worst looking games I've seen in awhile.

KevinCow

Banned
OMG Aero said:
So since it seems like the classic controller pro is the way to play this game, can someone answer a few questions about it for me? Firstly, what are the new shoulder buttons like? Are they good enough for a first person shooter? And what are the analog sticks like? I didn't really like the ones on the original classic controller because of the 8 way segmentation they had around the stick, unlike the Xbox and Playstation controllers which have a circle around the stick.

Shoulder buttons are fine and responsive, but they do feel a bit odd to fire with. Nothing major, I'm sure it's something you'd get used to quickly.

The sticks are pretty much the same as the regular CC, except a little further apart. So yeah, they do still have Nintendo's octagon gate.

JaxJag said:

Because visually, at least from the videos, it's one of the worst looking games I've seen in awhile.

Do you have anything else to add?
Whats that old acronym?.... ah yeah... GTFO

Well, I have to return my copy...the game won't let me get past the create save data screen. It's not frozen; there's still music playing, and I can use the controller to get back to the Wii Menu, but I can't do anything else.

seady

JaxJag said:

go back to your call of duty

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
Well, I have to return my copy...the game won't let me get past the create save data screen. It's not frozen; there's still music playing, and I can use the controller to get back to the Wii Menu, but I can't do anything else.
Unplug your gamecube controllers.

Nintendo Ate My Children said:
It is amazing how many people are having this problem.

Unplug any controllers or dongles you have in the GameCube ports and try again.

Threi

notag
JaxJag said:

Multiplayer: Yes
Singleplayer: No

hayejin

Holy Crap!!
Amazon sent me the Classic Controller version even though I ordered the normal sku. And this was after I bitched to thema nd got 10 dollar promotion when they missed the release date delivery yesterday.
Good Times :D

Bison11

Just watched the Game Trailers review...Looks pretty awesome. I need to find a way to get this...I am jonesing for some Wii FPS action (I am playing through Red Steel 2 right now). Perhaps around X-Mass it will be cheaper.

Shawsie64

Banned
Had such a good time with this last night, going away for weekend though wont be able to play until get back :(

Once get used to the wiimote controls they are amazing :D takes a while though..

Kad5

So how is the split screen multiplayer?

Gametrailers says it isn't that great but I wanna hear you guys' impressions.

EDarkness

Lonely1 said:
Which is your answer? Are the pointer controls bad in Online MP?

From what I've been told, they're not bad, but using the CC Pro is better. Less fiddling with it to get it where you need the control to be, and supposedly there's some lag with the pointer as well as some jitters. There is no way I'm gonna play with the CC Pro on the Wii (in a FPS), but I think the general consensus is that playing with the CC Pro is the way to go.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
EDarkness said:
From what I've been told, they're not bad, but using the CC Pro is better. Less fiddling with it to get it where you need the control to be, and supposedly there's some lag with the pointer as well as some jitters. There is no way I'm gonna play with the CC Pro on the Wii (in a FPS), but I think the general consensus is that playing with the CC Pro is the way to go.

roll on friday so i can see what is what

Effect

It's down to personal preference in the end. If you prefer analog controls then the CCP will be ideal for you. If you like pointer or mouse like controls more then the Wii remote will be ideal. That's really it. To say one is the way to go is just crazy. It's going to be different for everyone in the end.

However you won't be seeing leaning done with the CCP though. :D

Just got it for my birthday tonight. Popped it in and played the first level and then jumped into multiplayer. Currently playing with Wiimote set-up, but I do want to try CC Pro as well to weigh the differences between the two.

First mp match was a bust. The host either lost connection or quit. It then booted to a screen trying to find a new host, but after sitting there for almost a minute I backed out and started a new match. Did ok, 13 to 11 kill/death ratio which I guess isn't bad for a first match. Using scopes for distant shots and just shooting wildly in close encounters, which I really enjoy. I have gotten sick of shooters in recent history really demanding looking down the sights when someone is like two feet in front of you.

Campaign seems fun so far. Stealth is going to be a bitch, I can already tell. And after the first level, the whole "For England, James?" made me chuckle, and I couldn't help but be reminded of the thread title.

Really enjoying it so far!

Shawsie64

Banned
EDarkness said:

I was tempted to switch to CC pro but decided to give the wiimote more time.. and im glad i did felts great after getting used to it.. everyones different though

KevinCow

Banned
JacksUsername said:
Campaign seems fun so far. Stealth is going to be a bitch, I can already tell.

Believe it or not, it really isn't. Stealth is entirely optional. It's a fun challenge to try taking out a room without alerting anyone, but if you get caught or just don't feel like sneaking around in the first place, they'll just spawn a few more guards and it becomes a gunfight.

Wow, this game online has some real potential with friends.

I am slowly being sold on this the more I play it....which surprises me, as the only real game I regularly return to any more is Heroes of Newerth and League of Legends. I think I might like this long term!

antonz

Almost done with the SP campaign. It really is a great retelling of the original and youll see alot of stuff happens just like the movie but with new twists etc.

For first playthrough not going for advanced objectives etc just to get a good grasp on the game Id say the average level length is 20-25 minutes just run and gunning.

With the 007 Classic mode difficulty ramps up considerably with the lack of regen health and hunting the way into locked objective rooms etc will extend playthrough length for sure. This for me ranks at the top of the pile for Wii Shooters.

Doorman

Got the game today, only gone through the Dam mission, though really so far it's been primarily a test run to try and get my controller settings worked out.

The verdict? I...still have a lot of settings-tweaking to do. :lol I did fine with everything in MW Reflex but for whatever reason I can't seem to find the sweet spot that feels most comfortable with me, especially regarding aiming down the sights. Might still be a day or two before I get my wifi network set up, anyway, so hopefully I can get this sorted out by the time I'm ready to hop online. I'm also looking forward to getting into whatever GAF play group manages to start up here.

Effect

Sucks that we have hackers on the leader boards already Three so far or could be the same person who knows. Though it seems so far from what I've read on other forums to be limited to just that. Haven't heard complaints about hacking in matches but I guess it's a matter of time. :( I don't see why though. The game is a lot of fun playing straight up. Why anyone would waste time hacking it makes no sense to me.

I just hope Eurocom has a way of dealing with this. Though I hope this doesn't discourage people from playing online.

Effect said:
Sucks that we have hackers on the leader boards already. Though it seems so far from what I've read on other forums to be limited to just that. Haven't heard complaints about hacking in matches though but I guess it's a matter of time. I don't see why though. The game is a lot of fun playing straight up. Why anyone would waste time hacking it makes no sense to me.

I just hope Eurocom has a way of dealing with this.
That pic seems real, but if you check online ranking now that 999 guys is gone. :)

sfried

I tweaked my Wii remote controls so that the deadzone is at 10 both x and y and likewise the same with the deadzone settings for ADS (sights). I also cranked up the sensitizity to maximum and it seems to me working pretty well.

I tried it out with the Classic Controller Pro just to compare and actually prefered the Wii Remote more. One you have it nailed down, it plays pretty smoothly.

kinggroin

Banned
Bison11 said:
Just watched the Game Trailers review...Looks pretty awesome. I need to find a way to get this...I am jonesing for some Wii FPS action (I am playing through Red Steel 2 right now). Perhaps around X-Mass it will be cheaper.

Really glad I rented this. Multiplayer is danm near unplayable, running at 24fps if im lucky (online). Also, it really sucks that classic health HAS to go hand in hand with the hardest difficulty available. Would have been nice to use it with whichever difficulty you want. Also, maybe its just me, bu the color pallette chosen for the levels is such that its sometimes hard to make out enemies from a distance without zooming in.

Really though, all that would be forgiven if online multiplayer ran at a locked 30fps or higher. Using the wiimote with a low ass framerate is a recipe for disaster. Will try the cc before returning it.

Top Bottom