• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

evanft

I found a decent configuration for the pointer controls that works somewhat, but it just doesn't feel right. I wish this were on the 360. It also wouldn't look like the Bond game I played in 2003.

antonz

jediyoshi said:
Wish they recorded telemetry on who's using what control schemes online. I feel kinda bad playing online so far, got 50 kills within my first 2 matches on tdm.

I find playstyle has alot to do with it. I think alot of COD players are used to run and gunning. I found a few places to hide on maps now that I got into multiplayer and I was getting kills like crazy and not dieing cause everyone is too busy running around not looking around.

I won Golden gun rounds where non golden gun users only get 1 point per kill versus the 5 for using the gun and I was winning not even touching the golden gun because I found a spot to sit and just machine gun people down.

evanft said:
I found a decent configuration for the pointer controls that works somewhat, but it just doesn't feel right. I wish this were on the 360. It also wouldn't look like the Bond game I played in 2003.

263bgon.jpg

demolitio

Wow, I think I actually like using the remote more than the classic pro which is shocking to me. I don't know what it is, but I just can't get used to the sticks on the pro since I'm used to my PS3 controller. I'm sure they're just stiff from being new so I'm hoping I'll like them over time.

Man does this game give me some memories though. Playing through SP has been a treat so far and MP had all of us amazed as it blends the original game with the old modes while giving it an update to make it feel current and new enough that you're always finding new stuff out.

Game Informer truly puzzles me at times... :lol

This is what happens when developers have the budget and time plan to create something valuable for the system. Now imagine if more than 30% of the third party games for Wii were like this...

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Annoying Old Party Man said:
This is what happens when developers have the budget and time plan to create something valuable for the system. Now imagine if more than 30% of the third party games for Wii were like this...

Dead Rising Chop Till you Drop for Example :(

probably too lat e in the Wii life span, but Eurocom should think of using thier engine as some kind of Wii Middleware or something DSE looks amazing and so does this.

despite the low poly count the animantions on the characters look so emotive.

The thing is that Eurocom is not the greatest developer in the world. More like middle-tier, and most of their jobs are multiplatform rush jobs for big publishers (i think). But this time they obviously got their chance (as with Dead Space) and their experience shows off.

This is an impressive and fun FPS game on Wii, a genre the system "is not capable to perform well on" and I'm having a blast with it. All those years with the platform, wasted because of the shitty performance of the third parties.

Ah well, just hope it sells well.

demolitio

LongDongJunon said:
Holy Fucking Shit at Nicole Scherzinger's cover of the main theme.

Fantastic Job.
That was a pleasant surprise to me since I never imagined them using the actual theme from the movie. Still wish it was the original version, but she did do a pretty damn good job.

I did, however, expect them to take out all the nude women and craziness during the theme though. :lol

one_kill

I like the Classic Controller Pro over the Wii remote/nunchuck control scheme. I'm enjoying it now that I can aim and move better :D

Goddamn the single player is pretty damned good. The Nightclub level was freaking awesome. However, I feel like after Dam the references are getting less and less? Like Dam, there's tons of GE64 things like the sniper tower and finding the guard's Dostovei (can't recall what it was called now but awesome pistol is still awesome) and the whole feel of the level is similar. After the bathroom scene in Facility, it was still good, but they could have put more rooms that felt similar. It was an awesome level though. Also the pointer controls are really, really good. I haven't played a Wii FPS in a looong time and was able to get used to them quick. Popping guard head shots left and right.

Online is...ok. Looked smoother in the IGN videos. Some levels run shittier than others. They should have just done classic 007 Nightfire like multiplayer with crazy pickups, classic characters, and shit. Feels somewhat generic.

EDarkness

one_kill said:
I like the Classic Controller Pro over the Wii remote/nunchuck control scheme. I'm enjoying it now that I can aim and move better :D

This is what I've been reading all over. Seems like they didn't do a great job with IR control and people are defaulting to dual analog. Kinda what I was afraid of and if this trend continues, I doubt I'll be playing online.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
EDarkness said:
This is what I've been reading all over. Seems like they didn't do a great job with IR control and people are defaulting to dual analog. Kinda what I was afraid of and if this trend continues, I doubt I'll be playing online.

I'm hearing conflicting info, some people say the IR is the better others say dual analog

maybe the IR needs more tweaking is all?

EDarkness

jufonuk said:
I'm hearing conflicting info, some people say the IR is the better others say dual analog

That's possible, but some of my friends who really dig IR are doing the same thing because they say there's some lag or something with IR online. Whereas they don't get the same issue with dual analog. Could be something up with that, but since I don't have the game currently, I can't test it myself. <sigh> Seems to be the way things are going currently, though.

jufonuk said:

I'm thinking it has more to do with people who have played Wii FPS vs people who prefer the familiarity of dual analog controls.

Goldeneye's controls are very similar to Modern Warfare Reflex and that's the best controlling Wii FPS. So if those people disliked Goldeneye's controls, they would likely dislike Reflex's controls.

Nemesis_

I'm hoping there's a lot more references further in. I enjoyed everything in the first three missions (all on Archangelsk) but I'm just waiting to be wowed by things further down the track.

I am most intrigued to meet Natalya and battle Xenia. Hopefully those things still happen:lol

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Rush2thestart said:
I'm thinking it has more to do with people who have played Wii FPS vs people who are prefer the familiarity of dual analog controls.

Goldeneye's controls are very similar to Modern Warfare Reflex and that's the best controlling Wii FPS. So if those people disliked Goldeneye's controls, they would likely dislike Reflex's controls.

that's all I need to hear :D

antonz

dk_ said:
How's this game meant to be played? Wiimote + Nunchuck or CC? What's more intuitive?

I think it will just come down to preference. Im using mote and chuck and its working great. I have not encountered the issues GI was claiming.

Level wise the Night Club was phenomenal. The lighting,music etc are just great and give it a really awesome atmosphere.

Playing on 007 Classic can be pretty brutal too. I imagine there will be a lot of bitching in that regard since modern FPS have pretty much entirely switched to the duck and heal method of gameplay.

Overall now that I have played Multiplayer for awhile and gotten in a good bit of SP I would give this game a 9/10 easily. Controls great,Multiplayer for me was totally smooth and lag free and Single Player is so far a fun re-imagining of the Goldeneye story.

EDarkness

Rush2thestart said:
I'm thinking it has more to do with people who have played Wii FPS vs people who prefer the familiarity of dual analog controls.

Well, I've read some comments from those who liked the way the IR was in Reflex, but didn't like it in Goldeneye. I haven't read too many people saying the IR was super awesome. This is why I was hoping we'd get more comments in this thread, but that hasn't happened yet.

jediyoshi

Nemesis556 said:
I'm hoping there's a lot more references further in.

First level:
Was really hoping there would be an allusion to the building across the water like in the first game. There is sorta one on the mountains in the same general direction though

jufonuk

not tag worthy
EDarkness said:
Well, I've read some comments from those who liked the way the IR was in Reflex, but didn't like it in Goldeneye. I haven't read too many people saying the IR was super awesome. This is why I was hoping we'd get more comments in this thread, but that hasn't happened yet.
soon as I get the game (friday) I will post impressions RE the IR vs DA

the reason I prefer FPS games on Wii is the IR controls, I suck at dual analog.. I dont see how they cuold mess up the IR controls seeing as DSE played so well, also I am sure activision and Nintendo helped out when they could

EDarkness

jufonuk said:
soon as I get the game (friday) I will post impressions RE the IR vs DA

the reason I prefer FPS games on Wii is the IR controls, I suck at dual analog.. I dont see how they cuold mess up the IR controls seeing as DSE played so well, also I am sure activision and Nintendo helped out when they could

It is possible. Always seemed like IR was never the main focus of the game. All demos were using the classic controller, and there was the thought that they would get it functional, but not perfect. Which seems to be the case. I'll have the game sometime this weekend, so I guess I'll find out for myself, but I won't be playing online if IR is too difficult to use in that setting.

MiniDitka

Just finished Severnaya and that level has some of the best graphics I've seen on the Wii. Cant wait to get the vid up.

Has anyone played the DS version? I don't have a Wii, and I've played a couple of the Call of Duty games on the DS, so I might get Goldeneye if it's decent.

Nemesis_

jediyoshi said:
First level:
Was really hoping there would be an allusion to the building across the water like in the first game. There is sorta one on the mountains in the same general direction though

Yeah. I was like MAYBE WE'LL RUSH OUT TO THE ISLAND TO DESTROY THE SECURITY FOOTAGE.

I was not correct. =(

Yagharek

I must say Im kind of surprised this seems to be turning out quite good. Its just the cynic in me, but a game trading on a classic name is always something to be wary of.

I will wait to see what kind of reviews it gets, I'm especially interested in video reviews around the traps, and lots more impressions from people who already have it.

Still sitting on the fence but leaning ever so slightly to the buying side.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
evanft said:

is it some kind of unwriten reaction, games comes out on Wii that is Decent people automatically want a HD version, this has classic control pro support.. awoo :(

dk_ said:
How's this game meant to be played? Wiimote + Nunchuck or CC? What's more intuitive?
IGN prefered it that way. it's very precise, intuitive and you can "lean and peek" with the nunchuck. You can't do this with other control types.

Edit: great that they didn't just do a remake but improved upon a hopelessly outdated game that will now remain the nostalgic brilliant game it was back then.

insin

Neo Member
Rush2thestart said:
Goldeneye's controls are very similar to Modern Warfare Reflex...
SOLD
Dartastic said:
...what's actually bullshit is Hold A to run, and Hold A to pick up a weapon. I've had multiple occasions where I've been running, and just randomly dropping weapons. NOT COOL. Still really liking this game so far.
Do you have to hold A or can you just tap A as in Reflex to start running?

Reflex has this same button mapping issue when you want to hold A to lock the viewport for free-aiming.

Effect

EDarkness said:

I have to ask. Where are you hearing this comments? Not that I don't believe you but outside of GI I haven't heard of anyone and maybe one person here complaining about the remote controls. Even the person here it was more about getting the settings more to their liking. It sounds like you are looking for someone to simply go out and say the pointer controls are horrible so you feel better about an assumption and belief you've already made and are hoping to be true.

EDarkness

Effect said:
I have to ask. Where are you hearing this comments? Not that I don't believe you but outside of GI I haven't heard of anyone and maybe one person here complaining about the remote controls. Even the person here it was more about getting the settings more to their liking. It sounds like you are looking for someone to simply go out and say the pointer controls are horrible so you feel better about an assumption and belief you've already made and are hoping to be true.

Not true at all. I go to a number of forums besides this one including the hated ones (Gamefaqs, IGN, etc.). My friends (who have the game already since they're in America) also have commented on the pointer controls. There hasn't been much about here, though, which I find strange. After chatting with a few more people, I pretty much have my answer, so there's no real point in bothering with it now.

That said, I've already paid for the game, it just hasn't arrived yet. I'm looking forward to going through the single player game. Looks like a lot of fun and apparently the IR works pretty well in that mode. It's online where it supposedly has a problem. Even so, I'm not so naive to not try it myself to see if the comments about have any weight, so I'm gonna try playing online via IR myself.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Looking on MetaCritic user scores are good so far apart from one 5 (as of typing) and 1 Zero Point Score... thought it was rather concerning but clicked on the User ID and found he gave Haze 10, :lol

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Even I think the controls feel pretty good. They did an excellent job with them.

Game isn't bad either. I'm enjoying Bloodstone quite a bit more, but this is still pretty solid (much better than the original Goldeneye).

/runs

faridmon

dark10x said:
Even I think the controls feel pretty good. They did an excellent job with them.

Game isn't bad either. I'm enjoying Bloodstone quite a bit more, but this is still pretty solid (much better than the original Goldeneye).

/runs
Nothing wrong with that. If Bloodstone is anything liek Everything or Nothing, it will be amazing :D

dark10x

faridmon said:
Nothing wrong with that. If Bloodstone is anything liek Everything or Nothing, it will be amazing :D
It's a lot like EoN, probably even better. It's a very polished experience with fantastic controls. Unfortunately, Activision sent it to die. :(

They kept the ridiculous guards from Goldeneye N64 that roll behind boxes, and they still do it in the most ridiculous form. The only difference is these rolling guards don't cause the framerate to drop. Gave me a good laugh :lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
This is a great game so far, and I really only have to big complaints at this point;

- Framerate drops during single player. Its not horrendous but I've always felt that keeping a solid 30fps, or 60fps if possible, adds tremendously to the experience.

- Online is both good and terrible. If I manage to get into a lagless match its amazing fun. Its very 'Call of Duty' but something feels a little different, and I like it. Laggy matches suffer framerate issues, stuttering, and other crap.

dark10x

EatChildren said:
This is a great game so far, and I really only have to big complaints at this point;

- Framerate drops during single player. Its not horrendous but I've always felt that keeping a solid 30fps, or 60fps if possible, adds tremendously to the experience.

- Online is both good and terrible. If I manage to get into a lagless match its amazing fun. Its very 'Call of Duty' but something feels a little different, and I like it. Laggy matches suffer framerate issues, stuttering, and other crap.
I'm surprised and disappointed they didn't aim for 60 fps, to be honest. The Gamecube was pretty capable of such feats and I definitely see nothing here that suggests it would have been impossible. Eurocom is not Retro Studios, but this is 10 year old hardware here and they've spent a lot of time working with it. Surely they could have hit 60.

Still, compared to the N64 game, it's a much smoother experience (as it should be, of course).

Top Bottom