• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

Snaku

Banned
Well the dude at Kmart hadn't put the new releases out yet, and refused to get them from receiving. Told me that the truck is coming tomorrow. That's the go-to bullshit excuse all retail employees use when they don't want to do shit. So pissed.

VAIL

Snaku said:
Well the dude at Kmart hadn't put the new releases out yet, and refused to get them from receiving. Told me that the truck is coming tomorrow. That's the go-to bullshit excuse all retail employees use when they don't want to do shit. So pissed.

Call talk to a manager and let them know a salesperson lost a sale due to being lazy...

AniHawk

Snaku said:

Went to get NBA 2K11 for a buddy of mine while I picked up Vanquish. Told me they sold out of it in the first two days... two weeks ago.

Fortunately, Target was willing to take my money.

Effect

EDarkness said:
So is what I'm reading about the controls correct, where IR controls are pretty much an afterthought and classic controls is where it's at?

Not at all. The IR controls are great.

SuperJay

I am confused. Offline multiplayer seems to suck. Do you have to unlock modes or something? Why aren't there guns lying on the ground to be picked up? Why are there only 3 modes? 50% of the reason I bought this game was to relive the halcyon days of splitscreen multiplayer gaming. So far, the game is failing miserably in this respect. (online and single player are fun at least)

KevinCow

Banned
EDarkness said:
So is what I'm reading about the controls correct, where IR controls are pretty much an afterthought and classic controls is where it's at?

Not at all. The pointer controls are good. Not as good as the Conduit, but still very good.

Snaku said:

Kmart is a shithole. Not worth going even if they're having a good sale.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Anyone think Activision will pull off a NBA Jam and bring this to 360/PS3 later on?
Activisions is not EA. But again, Activions is not known for exclusives.

Penguin

SuperJay said:
I am confused. Offline multiplayer seems to suck. Do you have to unlock modes or something? Why aren't there guns lying on the ground to be picked up? Why are there only 3 modes? 50% of the reason I bought this game was to relive the halcyon days of splitscreen multiplayer gaming. So far, the game is failing miserably in this respect. (online and single player are fun at least)

If I'm not mistaken, isn't all the modes handled via the modifiers?

Like melee only.
Proximity melees.
Paintball mode, etc?

Well I just finished the first level, and I'll say its a good game for sure. Production levels are way higher than pretty much every Wii 3rd party game, and the intelligence of design is as well.

Let's see if that continues...

Lkr

Finally dove into the first few campaign levels. They were very well designed and fun to play. This is the game the Wii has been waiting for since launch.

EDarkness

KevinCow said:
Not at all. The pointer controls are good. Not as good as the Conduit, but still very good.

Seems to be a lot of mixed comments about IR controls posted around the net, so it's got me worried. God know when I'll get the game, though. Play Asia always seems to get the game a few days after it's released. Either way, good to hear they're good, but I wonder if most people are going to end up using the classic controller anyway.

I can't get the pointer to feel right at all. I'm not sure if I just don't know what I want, or if PC has ruined it for me. I did fine with a ton of other games...what settings are you guys rolling with?

I just rented Bloodstone for PS3... and Yet I'm more interested in this.... I will definetly rent this. Maybe it's Joss Stone's horrible acting that's turning me off.

Doorman

I'll probably try picking this up tomorrow as part of the Target sale...so long as I can figure out a third game to get. Disregarding GI's score (since I personally have never agreed with their Wii recommendations), this looks like about what I would have hoped for. So long as online multiplayer isn't a total lagfest and the player-base is high enough (sounds like that won't be too much of a problem), it'll be worth having in my library. See you spies online! :D

dream

richisawesome said:
Wait, this works with the gamecube controller too?!

Holy shit, yesss

It's kind of awkward using the WaveBird (eg, Z+B for melee, Z+A to check the scoreboards).

Rich!

dream said:
It's kind of awkward using the WaveBird (eg, Z+B for melee, Z+A to check the scoreboards).

Doesn't matter to me. What matters is that I have enough controllers for multiplayer.

Nemesis_

I've yet to finish a mission without failing one of the objectives. Some of them are pretty hard to come by.

VAIL

Bisnic said:
I don't know what GI smoked, but this game is nowhere near 6.5

They smoked the "it's cool to hate on the Wii weed" they have been doing it since day one and trying to play it off whenever someone mentions it.

I just played some more multiplayer and the first part of the single player...Anyone rating this anywhere near what GI did is a fucking moron, plain and goddamn simple. It's got killer presentation in the single player and it's a ton of fun in the multiplayer if I had to toss a number on it right now it's at least an 8 out of 10.

If someone like me with familial tremor can handle the pointer controls decently, there is no excuse for some "reviewer" to not be able to as well, that is of course if he didn't bother and just wrote the game off.

Teknoman said:
From the joystiq review:

The "50 dudes vs. James Bond" shoot-outs are the meat of the game, and unfortunately, that's where things get inconsistent. Occasionally, I'd be forced to shoot at the floor under an enemy or the just to the right of him for a kill. There are a few factors you can play with to try for a better result, like switching control schemes, finding a weapon with a reflexive sight or changing the placement of your Wii sensor. When things work smoothly, the feeling is quintessential Bond. When the controls start bugging out, it's infuriating -- I mean, you were pointing the gun right there.

I really dont like the sound of that. And the whole benefit (for me anyway) of playing an FPS on the Wii is usually the potentially awesome pointer/motion controls.

Can anyone else with the game comment on pointer controls?

Sounds to me like he's playing the game with his arm stretched out like a dumbass. I thought shit like that got stuck back in 2006 when people figured out you're supposed to rest your arms in your lap and that the Wiimote doesn't work like a light gun?

EDarkness

VAIL said:
They smoked the "it's cool to hate on the Wii weed" they have been doing it since day one and trying to play it off whenever someone mentions it.

I just played some more multiplayer and the first part of the single player...Anyone rating this anywhere near what GI did is a fucking moron, plain and goddamn simple. It's got killer presentation in the single player and it's a ton of fun in the multiplayer if I had to toss a number on it right now it's at least an 8 out of 10.

If someone like me with familial tremor can handle the pointer controls decently, there is no excuse for some "reviewer" to not be able to as well, that is of course if he didn't bother and just wrote the game off.

I've pretty much always avoided Game Informer reviews. They spew a lot of Wii hate and it's hard to really take them seriously. Just sucks that their reviews are allowed to screw up the average rating of games like this one. Best to avoid them whenever possible if you're a Wii owner.

Nemesis_

Nightclub level is surprisingly good. I also think I just ran into Xenia, but I'm not sure at all. I love the way that's been done, if it's true. =P

Runway level was epic, as you would expect. It's pretty much a souped up version, even eclipsing the movie. =D

Lkr

in reference to the thread title:
Once I started playing the game and heard Alec saying "For England, James", I immediately remembered the line at the end of the movie and this thread is now 100x funnier:lol

KAL2006

Banned
I really wish this game had splitscreen and online at the same time, I loved doing that with Mario Kart with my buddy

jlevel13

RocketDarkness said:
I can't get the pointer to feel right at all. I'm not sure if I just don't know what I want, or if PC has ruined it for me. I did fine with a ton of other games...what settings are you guys rolling with?

So far I'm kind of feeling like you. I'm doing okay with the pointer aiming, 17 kills and 17 deaths in the last FFA multi match I played (and around that in all matches), but I can't get it to feel quite right. I've been trying the expert 3 setting and it feels like the aiming, plus movement is really subtle and it's too easy for me to jerk the controller too much and kind of lose my bearings. It's hard to explain, but I feel a little less in control than I'd like to be, even if I'm still managaing to do okay? I figure it's just the kind of thing that will get better once I put more time into it (like when you first try to learn a stick in a fighting game or a wheel for racing). This is pretty much my first time playing a FPS on Wii - for the single player when you can take your time with the controls it's fine, but the hectic multi is a where it's tougher.

Nessus

I really like the player movement.

I find it distracting in games when the player character is able to hold the gun completely still while running, jumping, etc.

From videos, Goldeneye seems to have a really satisfying sense of weight to everything, and little touches like seeing your arm extend out in front of you when you leap over something, really helps the 1st person immersion.

Seriously considering getting this one, which is odd because when it was announced I completely wrote it off.

First time I've seen TV ads for a Wii game during prime time TV (Germany) in like forever. Ad was boring though. Racial (and controller) diverse group of friends playing local split screen and that's it. Only shows 4P split screen too - making them gfx don't look too hot of course.

Anyway will pick this up once it goes down in price.

I was SO tempted to pick this up during work. DAT CLASSIC CONTROLLER PRO.

What's the preferable method of control? I seem to hear positive things about IR control, would be cool if it were the true way to play.

Teknoman

KevinCow said:

So glad there is actual music during MP. More games need to follow Goldeneye, Timesplitters, and Unreal's examples...start putting music in MP.

How was the lag?

ConradCervantes said:
I was SO tempted to pick this up during work. DAT CLASSIC CONTROLLER PRO.

What's the preferable method of control? I seem to hear positive things about IR control, would be cool if it were the true way to play.

It might be, since you can only lean when using standard wii controls.

EDIT: Glad that you can still kill people just fine without aiming down the sights. Maybe its just me, but too many games these days require fine aim with every weapon, aside from pistols, shotguns, and explosives, to actually kill an enemy.

antonz

Picked it up. Set it to experianced controls 3 or whatever it is for wiimote and nunchuck and I have no complaints. I can tell there is some aiming support there but controls arent bad.

I find the game to be solid and I havent even stepped into the real meat of Goldeneye yet the MP.

Dartastic

Nemesis556 said:
I've yet to finish a mission without failing one of the objectives. Some of them are pretty hard to come by.
I'm playing on 007, and I've played the first two missions. Failed the first one, because I couldn't tell where to go, and failed one other one. Preeeeetty ridiculous. Still, the game is fun as hell. Really glad it turned out well.

...what's actually bullshit is Hold A to run, and Hold A to pick up a weapon. I've had multiple occasions where I've been running, and just randomly dropping weapons. NOT COOL. Still really liking this game so far.

Nemesis_

This game actually is amazing. I'm playing it more than my 360 at the moment, and it takes a lot to get me to do that.

I don't want it to end! =(

I am wondering if Frigate will be in the game now, though, because a lot of elements were retooled and used for the first chapter too.

I can't wait to get home and play it, but I need to do some study now =(

jlevel13

Teknoman said:
How was the lag?

I've played online for an hour and a half and so far matches have been 100% lag free (at least on my end), which is impressive.

Some more online impressions...

After starting with pointer controls set to expert 3 and not quite feeling it, I switched over to expert 1 - I'm not sure exactly what the difference is, but the controls seemed less sensitive and I did better after the switch down to 1 (going 18/2 on a team conflict match). It claims online there's no aim assist, but I feel like it's there, especially when you switch to aiming down sights, it will lock on to anybody around where you were aiming (even if you couldn't see them) and it kind of sticks to them too.

I had no problems getting into conflict or team conflict matches (FFA / TDA equiv.) and the process is smooth and pretty quick. But, so far, all the other modes are a ghost town - every time I've tried to find a game in the other modes I'm the only one in the lobby and nobody seems to jump in. Hopefully things will pick up over the next few days, because it's those other modes that look the most fun and unique.

Noob tubes :(
Two grenades to start a match is one too many.
One hit melee kills should be two hit.

But overall, I've had a good nights fun.

one_kill

I need to reconfigure the controls or even switch control options. I had troubles playing the game with the Wii remote/nunchuck control scheme. Will try out the Classic Controller Pro next.

jediyoshi

Wish they recorded telemetry on who's using what control schemes online. I feel kinda bad playing online so far, got 50 kills within my first 2 matches on tdm.

Teknoman

jlevel13 said:
I've played online for an hour and a half and so far matches have been 100% lag free (at least on my end), which is impressive.

Some more online impressions...

After starting with pointer controls set to expert 3 and not quite feeling it, I switched over to expert 1 - I'm not sure exactly what the difference is, but the controls seemed less sensitive and I did better after the switch down to 1 (going 18/2 on a team conflict match). It claims online there's no aim assist, but I feel like it's there, especially when you switch to aiming down sights, it will lock on to anybody around where you were aiming (even if you couldn't see them) and it kind of sticks to them too.

I had no problems getting into conflict or team conflict matches (FFA / TDA equiv.) and the process is smooth and pretty quick. But, so far, all the other modes are a ghost town - every time I've tried to find a game in the other modes I'm the only one in the lobby and nobody seems to jump in. Hopefully things will pick up over the next few days, because it's those other modes that look the most fun and unique.

Noob tubes :(
Two grenades to start a match is one too many.
One hit melee kills should be two hit.

But overall, I've had a good nights fun.

Heres hoping everything stays smooth well past the holidays then. Are you using wi-fi to connect, or do you have a lan adapter? I usually get pretty decent connections using wi-fi (Conduit, Tatsunoko, Smash, Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, and PBR seemed to work really nice most of the time...but there were times when they would lag horribly...AC and PBR aside of course) so i'm hoping it'll work well with Goldeneye.

Top Bottom