• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

So I am JUUUUST about ready to hop into the MP...is there general consensus as to whether the Wiimote or CCP is better for controlling? Are there any particular maps that are great/shitty?

I hated the wii mote until i used experienced 3. whatever the most sensitive on is. that's the only one that lets you turn fast enough for MP I think.

I love the wiimote for MP and SP though. gotta use the highest sensitivity cause you can't turn around fast enough otherwise imo.

Effect

Mr. Snrub said:
So I am JUUUUST about ready to hop into the MP...is there general consensus as to whether the Wiimote or CCP is better for controlling? Are there any particular maps that are great/shitty?

It's really personal preference. Both are good and what you are naturally incline to favor will end up being better for you.

I don't really care for Memorial personally. To dark and doesn't seem that big compared to other maps. Outpost is fun (the snow map) but to many places for snipers I feel. Those towers largely go unchecked by people I'm finding. I'm making it a point to check them now when I'm on that map.

jlevel13

Effect said:
Outpost is fun (the snow map) but to many places for snipers I feel. Those towers largely go unchecked by people I'm finding.

That map is a sniper fest - pretty much the only way to play it. People crawling under the houses always bugs me, even though it's not a glitch - just seeing people under there makes my blood boil.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't really care for any of the maps. They're all kinda confusing and I often have trouble finding people. But Memorial is especially bad. I can't ever find anyone on there. Oh, and I always get lost on Industrial.

I got a 10-kill streak tonight though, so I'm happy.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Can someone give me a hand on Statue Park's secondary objectives?

I'm near the spot where
there's a security camera, parked car, and a sniper. You can climb up on top of the building, which has three men inside, to kill the sniper and look through the glass roof (which you can smash to break through).

The hud is giving the phone signal, so I figure I have to take photos of Janus' weapons and technology, but there's absolutely nothing showing up that I can take a photo of. I've tried moving around the entirety of that small building, including inside the locked section, and nothing is indicating it can be photographed.

Moving away from the building breaks the signal, so it must be in that area. Halp?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So do the 007 extra objectives feel like 'actual' objectives? Or is it just tasking you to constantly scan a few extra things en route to the exit ala Mission 1? I'm still somewhat hesitant on purchasing just for the campaign.

EDarkness

Brandon F said:
So do the 007 extra objectives feel like 'actual' objectives? Or is it just tasking you to constantly scan a few extra things en route to the exit ala Mission 1? I'm still somewhat hesitant on purchasing just for the campaign.

Some of them are to take photos, but on one stage I had to free hostages and on another stage I had to blow up helicopters. So the objectives seem to be varied.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Well... the game just crashed on the Frigate level right when i was about to breach the door where the 3rd hostage is. =/ Now, i gotta do the whole level again, fuck that shit.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I wonder what kinds of cheat codes there are, or when they'll be announced. There doesn't seem to be any way to unlock them.

Really bummed nothing gets unlocked for completing a time trial. No idea if doing them all will get anything, but I doubt it.

Penguin

EatChildren said:
Can someone give me a hand on Statue Park's secondary objectives?

I'm near the spot where
there's a security camera, parked car, and a sniper. You can climb up on top of the building, which has three men inside, to kill the sniper and look through the glass roof (which you can smash to break through).

The hud is giving the phone signal, so I figure I have to take photos of Janus' weapons and technology, but there's absolutely nothing showing up that I can take a photo of. I've tried moving around the entirety of that small building, including inside the locked section, and nothing is indicating it can be photographed.

Moving away from the building breaks the signal, so it must be in that area. Halp?

Did you ever find what you were looking for?

KevinCow

Banned
Bisnic said:
Well... the game just crashed on the Frigate level right when i was about to breach the door where the 3rd hostage is. =/ Now, i gotta do the whole level again, fuck that shit.

It doesn't start you at the last checkpoint? I haven't quit and resumed mid mission, I just figured it would.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
KevinCow said:
It doesn't start you at the last checkpoint? I haven't quit and resumed mid mission, I just figured it would.
It resumes from the checkpoint if you save and quit, he crashed and it doesn't remember checkpoints if that happens (I ran into this once or twice while emulating the game).

boiled goose

good with gravy
Effect said:
It's really personal preference. Both are good and what you are naturally incline to favor will end up being better for you.

I don't really care for Memorial personally. To dark and doesn't seem that big compared to other maps. Outpost is fun (the snow map) but to many places for snipers I feel. Those towers largely go unchecked by people I'm finding. I'm making it a point to check them now when I'm on that map.

nope. wiimote is a superior input method. Faster and more precise.

downsides of wiimote nunchuck are: takes a while to tweak to perfection. lack of buttons on wiimote might mean some less than ideal button choices. that is pretty much it.

EatChildren

Penguin said:
Did you ever find what you were looking for?

Yep! Statue Park is done and dusted. Just the final three levels to go on 007 Classic. Jungle is easy as you can stealth through nearly the whole thing. The other two are going to be a problem.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
The game is awesome, really love it, am using experienced 3 preset and jsut tweaked the dead zone and turning speed, have tried online last night and did not see any issues going online..

well with this, reflex and black ops I think I got all multiplayer FPS action I will need for a good while :D

the onlyoddity I have is that keep trying to shake the nunchuk to reload (hold over from reflex lol)

but the game makes me feel like james bond, I remember I had a complaint that this game would be a simple walk to a point pop two to four enemies and thats would be it, then I play it and end up alerting guards and I am surrounded by 15 - 20 enemies and have to fight my way out... awesome, I kinda keep messing the stealth up and alerting guards sometims I want to plow through but that causes me grief lol.. :D :D

Finding a lot of noob tube spammers online. It's not too bad but it kinda ruins the black box mode. the box ends up getting caught in some corner and people are just lobbing grenades from the assault class at it. Way too easy for the attackers to win that one.

gamingeek

Can I ask how you guys approach stealth takedowns?

One guard is easy, headshot or grab him from behind and choke/punch him.

With two guards I head shot one and then immediately shoot the body of the second guy.

Three guards or more, what do you do if you want to take them out with stealth? Is it even possible? Do you just pump the 16 PP9 bullets into them at a fast pace?

There is a silenced machine gun, but I only found it in one of the levels.

EatChildren

Pretty much pump them with rounds. You should be able to take the first one down instantly with a headshot, and if you aim well you can take down the other two very quickly with just a couple of rounds.

I dont think there are all that many times where you're forced to rapidly take down three men though. There's usually a way to take one or two out without the others noticing.

gamingeek

EatChildren said:
Pretty much pump them with rounds. You should be able to take the first one down instantly with a headshot, and if you aim well you can take down the other two very quickly with just a couple of rounds.

I dont think there are all that many times where you're forced to rapidly take down three men though. There's usually a way to take one or two out without the others noticing.

Yeah I know, but I thought that maybe there should be more creative ways of approaching 3 or more like causing a distraction. Something for a sequel maybe?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
gamingeek said:
Can I ask how you guys approach stealth takedowns?

One guard is easy, headshot or grab him from behind and choke/punch him.

With two guards I head shot one and then immediately shoot the body of the second guy.

Three guards or more, what do you do if you want to take them out with stealth? Is it even possible? Do you just pump the 16 PP9 bullets into them at a fast pace?

There is a silenced machine gun, but I only found it in one of the levels.
It seems to depend on where they are standing in relation to the other guards. I've found that, in some situations, I can take out 4 or 5 guys all with stealth without the others noticing. Obviously this is not always going to be the case, but there are instances when it is possible.

I believe that once you have more than three guards to deal with, whether or not you can stealth kill them all depends entirely on their location. In some situations, it is likely impossible to quietly dispose of them all just due to their placement.

I really enjoy the stealth aspect of the game. Honestly, the game kind of feels like Metal Gear meets Call of Duty rather than the original Goldeneye. An interesting mix, to be sure.

gamingeek

Now that everyone has put in significant playtime into the single player, I was wondering how you felt about the game compared to COD.

I saw this review earlier before I played the game and re-reading it, it really nails how I feel about the game.

Gaming Nexus review said:
GoldenEye is, for lack of a better word, a much “smarter” FPS than either of the Modern Warfare’s. It takes the loosely cover-based action from CoD and adds some desperately needed cover mechanics, like the ability to pop and lean out of cover for quick shots, and the fact that protective structures are quickly destroyed under sustained fire. Simply put, GoldenEye takes a design that has become rote and stale and adds the features that it’s really needed for a couple years now, creating a more organic and complete experience. Sledgehammer Games and Treyarch would do well to follow Eurocom’s lead in the future CoD titles.

GoldenEye takes the best stealth elements from more frustrating games like Metal Gear Solid and somehow seamlessly mixes them with the typically mindless action of CoD, tweaked and refining it all into a dynamic experience that is truly the thinking man’s FPS.

Eurocom and Feirstein have produced a long, meaty campaign with plenty of story, superbly built levels and better, more balanced gameplay than any of the recent CoD games.

http://www.gamingnexus.com/Article/Goldeneye-007/Item2840.aspx

insin

Neo Member
dark10x said:
I really enjoy the stealth aspect of the game. Honestly, the game kind of feels like Metal Gear meets Call of Duty rather than the original Goldeneye. An interesting mix, to be sure.
I really get an MGS2 vibe from it when I'm stalking corridors in ADS mode with my silenced pistol, peeking out and headshotting unsuspecting guards and trying to take out pairs of them quickly without raising an alert. The stealth aspect to Goldeneye was totally unexpected and has made the experience pretty special for me. It's fairly basic stealth, but it's executed well, is nearly always an option and you're not punished unduly when you get spotted, as there are no infinitely spawning enemies that I've seen and the alert status clears when you've cleaned up the current area.

Can't wait to get through my initial playthrough so I can go back and try for all the sub-objectives.

I doubt I'm even going to bother with Black Ops single player now.

confuziz

Banned
I'm really enjoying the game so far. The things you remember from the original goldeneye mixed with a lot of new elements together form a solid singleplayer experience.

Taking out a group of three guys is usually just about alternating rounds between them so they can't get their bearings and activate the alarm. Its kinda like hitstun in a fighting game, you gotta keep them flinching until they die.

EatChildren

gamingeek said:
Now that everyone has put in significant playtime into the single player, I was wondering how you felt about the game compared to COD.

I really wish people would stop comparing the two. Yes, the game has action sections, and yes, the game looked like a cheap Call of Duty clone when it was first announced. But a vast majority of the game plays nothing like Call of Duty at all. Its a completely different game, and asking Call of Duty to play like GoldenEye is failing to understand why Call of Duty plays the way it does.

I mean really, why compare them? Because Activision is the publisher? Because it features ADS? They're different games.

SuperJay

I was surprised to find that from-behind melee attacks on two guards at once actually works pretty well. Sneak up from behind, take out the first guard, and even though the second guard is alerted, a quick second waggle of the nunchuck usually takes him out before any other guards can be alerted.

sk3tch

EatChildren said:
I really wish people would stop comparing the two. Yes, the game has action sections, and yes, the game looked like a cheap Call of Duty clone when it was first announced. But a vast majority of the game plays nothing like Call of Duty at all. Its a completely different game, and asking Call of Duty to play like GoldenEye is failing to understand why Call of Duty plays the way it does.

I mean really, why compare them? Because Activision is the publisher? Because it features ADS? They're different games.

Because the multiplayer, at least, is very CoD-clone-ish. Not that there's anything wrong with that - I'm really enjoying it. I have not touched the SP campaign yet...

sk3tch said:
Because the multiplayer, at least, is very CoD-clone-ish. Not that there's anything wrong with that - I'm really enjoying it. I have not touched the SP campaign yet...
You're seriously missing out on a ton of fun.
Single player is amazing and feels a lot more like the original Goldeneye than multiplayer

Which is kind of ironic. Single player feels like a Goldeneye remake, but multiplayer feels like CoD-lite. Which is not what we were told the entire development time.

I wish they had spent more time making multiplayer more classic, and making local and online modes practically identical. Oh, and the option to play old style health and weapon pickups and turning off grenades would have been a welcomed addition.

EatChildren

The multiplayer is mostly balls in my opinion. I have no desire to play it, except for some split-screen when my housemate's boyfriend is in the mood. The online is a shitty Call of Duty clone that plays worse, has fucking terrible netcode, and few unique merits of its own. Split-screen would be better if it too wasn't a shitty Call of Duty clone. Not being able to have weapons lay around on the map or use a classic health system is mind boggling.

But yeah, the single player is amazing. So much fun. Except on 007 Classic and a pure action level. Then its fucking terrible.

theultimo

EatChildren said:
The multiplayer is mostly balls in my opinion. I have no desire to play it, except for some split-screen when my housemate's boyfriend is in the mood. The online is a shitty Call of Duty clone that plays worse, has fucking terrible netcode, and few unique merits of its own. Split-screen would be better if it too wasn't a shitty Call of Duty clone. Not being able to have weapons lay around on the map or use a classic health system is mind boggling.

But yeah, the single player is amazing. So much fun. Except on 007 Classic and a pure action level. Then its fucking terrible.
From what I have played, which is about a couple of hours...it seems to be multiplayer is "host quit the game!"
I like 007 classic...reminds me of the n64 version and doesn't have regen health, unlike EVERY major shooter nowadays.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
loving the single player so far , I love the way you get swamped if you disturb the gaurds, the breakable cover is awesome, MP wise I havent put much time into it to make any views about it, I jsut completed severnaya, how far into the game would you say I am?

gamingeek

jufonuk said:
loving the single player so far , I love the way you get swamped if you disturb the gaurds, the breakable cover is awesome, MP wise I havent put much time into it to make any views about it, I jsut completed severnaya, how far into the game would you say I am?

Almost halfway-ish.

Had a surprisingly great time with single player the other night. There's parts where you're ducking behind desks for a bit of respite before you pop back out and go to town. I've just got BO for 360 so I reckon I might give that a go tonight but the pointer has only just clicked for me and I don't want to go back to control sticks!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Nexus Zero said:
Had a surprisingly great time with single player the other night. There's parts where you're ducking behind desks for a bit of respite before you pop back out and go to town. I've just got BO for 360 so I reckon I might give that a go tonight but the pointer has only just clicked for me and I don't want to go back to control sticks!

Welcome to our World :D, once the pointer controls click you just find dual analog so slow and cumbersome

Veal

I love this game so fucking much.

I'm enjoying online multiplayer so much more than I thought I would! My favorite map would have to be Industrial. I get a Killzone 2 vibe from it for some reason.

Does anyone else feel like the level up system in this is WAY more grindy than say, COD?

Single player is quite awesome, and I feel it's the natural evolution of GoldenEye, especially with the emphasis on stealth elements. The only thing missing is the original's soundtrack, but it's difficult to approach that level of perfection.

I will agree that multiplayer is COD-lite, which is funny since Activision claimed this component was the "return of GoldenEye". Still, I'm having a lot of fun, even though hosts like to drop out of their stupid games. Seriously, thrice last night on team conflict, our team was winning and the host drops. It's more infuriating given the fact that I had some pretty awesome ratios, such as 13-1, 16-3. Oh well.

Lots of good players online, and quite a few shitty ones too. Another team conflict match last night was 4-on-4, my record was 29-6 and our team still lost (a team wins at 40).

evangd007

SabinFigaro said:
Yeah, it's taking forever to level up. Proximity mines are but a distant dream.

The slow progression is probably due to the lack of prestiging, but it makes all the equipment that would help the game feel more like Goldeneye out of reach for a long time. I think remote and proxy mines will completely change the feel of the game, especially for the Goldeneye game mode.

"The enemy is capturing number 1!"

"I've got a remote mine there." *beep* *boom*

Veal

evangd007 said:
The slow progression is probably due to the lack of prestiging, but it makes all the equipment that would help the game feel more like Goldeneye out of reach for a long time. I think remote and proxy mines will completely change the feel of the game, especially for the Goldeneye game mode.

"The enemy is capturing number 1!"

"I've got a remote mine there." *beep* *boom*
I never thought of it that way. Maybe it'll keep people playing longer? Or make some give up/hack and cheat.

jlevel13

SabinFigaro said:
Yeah, it's taking forever to level up. Proximity mines are but a distant dream.

One of my fears is if I do grind all the way up to level 25 & 30 to unlock the modes I really want to be playing, almost nobody else is going to make it all the way up there and it will become almost impossible to find a game anyway.

The unlock system is horribly designed.

EatChildren

theultimo said:
I like 007 classic...reminds me of the n64 version and doesn't have regen health, unlike EVERY major shooter nowadays.

As do I, but as I've whined two or three times already, its broken in the stages that dont allow for any stealth. In those stages its a half-arsed shoehorned feature that couldnt be more tacked on if they tried.

Otherwise its great.

EDIT: Aaand I'm done. Game finished on 007 Classic. Same opinion as I've stated for a few pages now; the perfect difficulty for the more stealth focused stages, like Outpost, but broken and frustrating on the pure action stages. Cradle hit Call of Duty-on-hard levels of "Why am I doing this?". Truly some of the worst gameplay I've put myself through in awhile. The Trevelyan fight was particuarly bad.

No unlocks or bonuses for competing 007 Classic is crazy as well. Im not going to bother with the time trials, because the levels are too long and it will be far too frustrating. I did Tank, no unlock, thus I'm not going to waste my time.

If there are indeed cheat codes that Eurocom/Activison will release, they made a serious blunder in not having them unlock with the beating of time trials. Note to developers; 99% of gamers, no matter how much they love your game, will not push themselves through frustrating and difficult time trials unless there is a reward at the end.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I think the game would be better off with the levels broken into smaller stages...

The game is good, but it's weird at just how non-Goldeneye it is at times.

one_kill

DavidDayton said:
I think the game would be better off with the levels broken into smaller stages...

The game is good, but it's weird at just how non-Goldeneye it is at times.
I think it's fine the way it is. It makes me feel like I'm James Bond himself :lol

Top Bottom