• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

$^#%^$^

I wish this game would tell me when I'm about to finish a level and haven't found all the fucking supply crates that aren't really obvious to find cause the brightness in this game is a bit off

Guess I'm continuing with those objectives turned off

gamingeek

Finally completed Goldeneye, really suprised that they kept the quality right up through to the finish, the last level(s) were great and the QTE boss fights really gave you that feeling of being Bond. :D

Then I restarted the game on 007 difficulty, did the dam level and found every nook and cranny, tried different tactics. This game is awesome, I couldn't stop playing and went halfway through the facility again too.

This game gets a 9.3 from me, it's probably the best single player campaign FPS I have played since the original Halo.

insin

Neo Member
The last level has ensured I'm never playing this in classic mode. Maybe it's designed with the assumption that you don't have the ridiculous ADS autoaim switched off, but I'm just not going there...

gamingeek said:
Finally completed Goldeneye, really suprised that they kept the quality right up through to the finish, the last level(s) were great and the QTE boss fights really gave you that feeling of being Bond. :D

Then I restarted the game on 007 difficulty, did the dam level and found every nook and cranny, tried different tactics. This game is awesome, I couldn't stop playing and went halfway through the facility again too.

This game gets a 9.3 from me, it's probably the best single player campaign FPS I have played since the original Halo.

Completely agree, bro. It's funny and shocking at the same time, that some people consider it to be CoD in Bond-Costume, although it's pretty much Anti-CoD Gameplay... I mean this game has some real AI and nobody seems to really noticing nor care^^ Seems that the CoD-era has ruined the overall perception of how a shooter should be gameplay-wise ;)

Regarding the difficutly:
The escape after the facility level is a monster on 007 Classic. You can consider yourself an Elite-Gamer when reachig the plane alive! ^^

I can't image that it's even possible to protect Natalya on this mode more then 20sec :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Frencherman said:
I can't image that it's even possible to protect Natalya on this mode more then 20sec :(

Its fucking terrible. Completing this game on 007 Classic has be some of the hardest shit I've done in quite awhile.

And I disagree with the whole Call of Duty thing, mostly because I really haven't seen many people compare the two. As I said in my last post, they're completely different games not really deserving of comparison for the single player (except for regenerating health, which should have been left out). Multiplayer though? Its a Call of Duty clone through and through.

Are other reviews comparing the single player to Call of Duty?

gamingeek

MYE said:
still waiting for my copy to arrive...

Poor bastard.

insin said:
The last level has ensured I'm never playing this in classic mode. Maybe it's designed with the assumption that you don't have the ridiculous ADS autoaim switched off, but I'm just not going there...

Are you talking about defending Natalya? I found it hard at first but then when I learned where the best place was to stand and where the new troops spawned in by, I managed it very well. Also, since melees works so well you can often run up and one hit kill them. :D I don't think I would ever attempt it on classic mode though. :lol

Frencherman said:
Completely agree, bro. It's funny and shocking at the same time, that some people consider it to be CoD in Bond-Costume, although it's pretty much Anti-CoD Gameplay... I mean this game has some real AI and nobody seems to really noticing nor care^^ Seems that the CoD-era has ruined the overall perception of how a shooter should be gameplay-wise ;)

For my money I'd say it outdoes COD with the little additons like being able to pop up over cover easily or the destructible cover points, the more intelligent AI and being able to play with stealth or full on combat. For me this game's single player makes COD seem like a dumb blonde.

MYE

Just found this fan-made boxart

web.jpg

Nice

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Just made it to the last act and I have to say this is the most well designed, fun SP campaign I've played in an FPS since Crysis Warhead. Great game.

gamingeek

Saw these controls, dude is trying to make WaW controls on Goldeneye

http://uk.gamespot.com/wii/adventur...s.php?topic_id=m-1-57031340&pid=997757&page=2

I tested it out, for people having problems this might help to give them a more stable and easier experience for normal turning and shooting (not in ADS)

I tested them you do have to bash the sides of the screen a bit to turn, it does emulate WaW default controls, unless you customised that. And for me I had to increase the horizontal turning speed to halfway on the bar and reduced the horizontal dead zone to 10.

This thread has convinced me to order the Bundle with the classic controller pro. Can't wait to give what seems to be the best FPS on the Wii a shot.

heringer

Still waiting for my copy.

Anyway, I heard the game forces you to drop the difficulty setting if you fail any objective. The only differences from one difficulty level to another is the number of side objectives?

eshwaaz

All of the praise for the single player is making me really tempted to give this game a shot. I've tried several FPSs on the Wii and haven't enjoyed any of them; Goldeneye sounds almost too good to be true.

eshwaaz said:
All of the praise for the single player is making me really tempted to give this game a shot. I've tried several FPSs on the Wii and haven't enjoyed any of them; Goldeneye sounds almost too good to be true.

GoldenEye is the definite shooter for Wii. This or nothing ;)

gamingeek

I tried to emulate MOHH2 controls for ADS but upon looking at the options, they don't let you see the magic behind their ADS controls, so I can't copy settings. So I turn on Black Ops which has some awesome ADS, about as accurate as MOHH2 but with no nunchuk lean.

Their Black Ops settings for ADS is:

Horizontal turn speed about 2 units of the bar imagining the bar divided into 10 parts.
Vertical turn speed about 2 units of the bar imagining the bar divided into 10 parts.

Dead Zone of 13cm vertical, 18cm horizontal.

ADS reach at MAX (this is important as it dictate how far you can drag the gun about the screen - goldeneye lacks this)

Unfortunately using these settings doesn't make the ADS GE controls as good as Black Ops and I think I know why.

Toying with the controls I made a max dead zone and had max turn speed reached at the outer edges of the screen. The ADS dead zone in Goldeneye doesn't work as a dead zone should.

A dead zone is an area where you can move the cursor without having the screen turn. Even with the max sized dead zone and ADS turning speed vertical and horizontal set to zero, you could only aim in an invisible dead zone in a central rectangle, the exact same sized one you get with camera lock (holding Z). Anything outside that invisible box and the screen would turn regardless of the size of your dead zone setting.

It's a bit strange but I customised from there and got something I am happy with.

HERE THEY ARE (ADS) controls

Dead zone at maximum size possible
Maximum speed reached zone at maximum outer edges of the screen
Horizontal turn speed - when the bar is empty click the d-pad right 10 times
Vertical turn speed - zero - you can still move it up and down
Cursor sensitivity max.

Also in normal turning, the cursor is more stable when the sensitivity is around just higher than the middle position.

Now these controls aren't perfect and you will never get them as good as Black Ops or MOHH2 but I find them useful. And if you have problems the best thing to do would be to play with the horizontal turn speed in ADS - keeping the settings I wrote.

I gotta say, seeing all this control adjustment stuff for pointer-based games is really awesome compared to everything prior to this gen when all you had was "sensitivity" and invert.

Some might call it shipping with broken controls that you have to fix, I say it's great to have options that we can all tweak to our liking. Props to games like MoH Heroes 2 and Conduit for pioneering this level of adjustment.

theultimo

I cant get over the fact on how well this looks. For a Wii game, it really is impressive and is only hampered by 480p. It definitely feels like Goldeneye as well.

heringer

heringer said:
Still waiting for my copy.

Anyway, I heard the game forces you to drop the difficulty setting if you fail any objective. The only differences from one difficulty level to another is the number of side objectives?
Anyone?

StevieP

Banned
heringer said:

Either you drop the difficulty setting or you re-do the level. If that sounds frustrating it is and it isn't. The second time around, it goes a lot faster and you're generally more aware of your surroundings. Whenever you see a flashing icon is when you should be exploring the area, of course, but I've had to re-do 1 level in my playthrough.

Doorman

I'm planning on hopping online a bit later tonight, once I finish dinner and so forth. There's still no code exchange topic around here, is there? It would be fun to roll with some GAF folks at some point while I scope out some of these newer modes.

sfried

I feel like they nailed the initial feeling people got when playing the original: That unfamiliarity with the layout causing alarms and stuff to sound, the deaths that result from excessive gunfire from blind spots...while everything else is reinvented I'm sort of glad they captured the difficulty "box" that was present Goldeneye yet absent in Perfect Dark (the latter which was either way too easy or way too hard).

KevinCow

Banned
Ugh. I think I'm done with online. The CoD-ization of shooters has just ruined them for me. The one, two, three hit kills, the awful grindy leveling system before you actually get a choice between guns, the horribly inaccurate guns... it's just not fun, even when I'm winning. And, specific to this game, I still haven't found any ADS settings that feel decent at all.

gamingeek

KevinCow said:
No, enemies are also a lot more aggressive on harder difficulties. I don't know if they do more damage, but they definitely hit you more often.

Yeah I'm playing on 007 now and aside from the objectives it's a lot easier to get killed.

heringer

gamingeek said:
Yeah I'm playing on 007 now and aside from the objectives it's a lot easier to get killed.
I hate this. What if I want the challenge but don't want to do all the side objectives? The game will punish me by giving me dumbed down enemies?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
heringer said:
I hate this. What if I want the challenge but don't want to do all the side objectives? The game will punish me by giving me dumbed down enemies?

All of the side objectives are easy to spot and found as you progress through the stages. They rarely, if ever, require you to branch far off the main path. The hud also indicates every time you need to use your phone, or if a secondary objective is nearby.

gamingeek

EatChildren said:
All of the side objectives are easy to spot and found as you progress through the stages. They rarely, if ever, require you to branch far off the main path. The hud also indicates every time you need to use your phone, or if a secondary objective is nearby.

Yup. Man speaks the truth.

MYE

For those who finished the game, how long was it?

If it matters, i like to take my time with games. Am i lokking at a 8-10h single player experience?

gamingeek

MYE said:

If it matters, i like to take my time with games. Am i lokking at a 8-10h single player experience?

I found myself spending 40-50 minutes per level, but that is because I liked to used stealth and move slow. If you run and gun it will be a lot shorter. It feels very substantial to me and the differing objectives on different difficulties means you will replay each level for fun. The core gameplay and open way in which you can play means that you will probably get a kick out of playing each level multiple times too.

It also has a lot of levels, I was trying to remember them in order last night and it's a lot, considering the polish and size of them, as well as how consistently enjoyable they are.

EatChildren

There are 14 levels. A couple are ~10 minutes long (like the Tank level), others can be 30 minutes, give or take 10. Playing on harder difficulties with all objectives will naturally lead to longer level times. Should take ~7 hours to finish, but could be done quicker.

The levels feel meaty though, which is the biggest pro. It rarely feels like the stages are a monotinous grind from sthart to finish, instead chock full of variety with great pacing. Most of the missions feel long and rewarding.

gamingeek

EatChildren said:
There are 14 levels. A couple are ~10 minutes long (like the Tank level), others can be 30 minutes, give or take 10. Playing on harder difficulties with all objectives will naturally lead to longer level times. Should take ~7 hours to finish, but could be done quicker.

The levels feel meaty though, which is the biggest pro. It rarely feels like the stages are a monotinous grind from sthart to finish, instead chock full of variety with great pacing. Most of the missions feel long and rewarding.

I like the way the levels logically siege into each other, like the Dam > Facility > Airstrip.

Or Severnaya (still can't spell it) > Bunker

Amneisac

Played a little of the first level last night, I couldn't really get into the IR controls. It felt better in the metroid games, but then had a lot more auto lock on. I might just try it with the classic controller pro, I don't really feel like mucking with the sensitivity and all that.

big_z

MYE said:

took me about 6.5-7 hours on the second difficulty level which gives you 2/3 of the objectives on levels. i think you have to replay the level after finishing it to get all the objectives but i might be wrong. i also died and had to restart a few missions since if you fail to do all objectives they knock you down a difficulty level.

not a super long game but not too short either. i think you'll get your moneys worth especially if you try to unlock the cheats/bonuses.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
SuperJay said:
I was surprised to find that from-behind melee attacks on two guards at once actually works pretty well. Sneak up from behind, take out the first guard, and even though the second guard is alerted, a quick second waggle of the nunchuck usually takes him out before any other guards can be alerted.

If i see 2 guards next to each other, i'd rather do 2 headshots in a row, it's pretty easy with the silenced pistol when you are close enough. :D

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Bisnic said:
If i see 2 guards next to each other, i'd rather do 2 headshots in a row, it's pretty easy with the silenced pistol when you are close enough. :D
Yeah, that's how I rolled. They liked to set up levels with guards in pairs or patrolling alone so I would first sneak around taking out the stragglers with stealth melee attacks and then take out the groups with double silenced headshots.

Top Bottom