• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

jecclr2003 said:
You don't download it. You take pictures of the plans on the wall. There's 3 spots with the plans... you need all 3

Wait...what? I'm playing on Agent difficulty. The Mission objective reads: Find a computer terminal from which you can download the helicopter's flight plan.

So you're saying I shouldn't be looking for a computer at all? Which room is this stuff in?

civilstrife said:
Wait...what? I'm playing on Agent difficulty. The Mission objective reads: Find a computer terminal from which you can download the helicopter's flight plan.

So you're saying I shouldn't be looking for a computer at all? Which room is this stuff in?

I think I mis read you then. I thought you were talking about the blueprints, the "plans" for the helicopter.

The helicopter plans are posters in 3 locations. I have no clue about a flight plan though.

Maybe this may help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN7lnmDsr_A

KevinCow

Banned
civilstrife said:
How do I download the helicopter flight plan in the first level?

Replayed the level 3 times and couldn't find the terminal. It's beginning to piss me off...

It's near the end of the level. You should see the little phone thing by the minimap around the time Trevelyan calls you to say he set up a distraction or something. The thing to scan will be up in the tower where the sniper was, close to the floor.

Disguises said:
So I started reading Kotaku's (I know they has a bad rep over here) review of Goldeneye and got to this paragraph:

I've yet to play the game, but surely the controls can't be that bad? I've heard nothing but good things about the pointer controls. I'll reserve my opinion until I receive the game.

Edit: Sounds like a good old case of a non-wii player playing a FPS in Wii for the first time actually.

We were talking about this a little earlier in the thread. Not just Kotaku, but a lot of reviews have said similar things. They're just silly people who haven't played a Wii shooter before and declare pointer controls broken because they're not pulling off headshot after headshot the instant they pick them up.

The controls are fine if you have any experience with a Wii shooter.

It's such shit that reviewers still can't get to grips with the controls. It's not as if this is the first FPS. Plus the controls are completely customisable so there is absolutely no excuse for this. If you can't customise the controls (or 'don't have the time' to customise the controls) to suit your needs then you fail at life.

I play Halo but I play with the bumper jumper set-up because I don't like the default controls. I don't knock the score down because of this. They seem to do this with Wii games.

Hell, you could go as far as to say he isn't doing his job properly. In any other walk of life if you couldn't adapt to suit the market then you'd probably lose your job.

Yes, I'm overstating.. :lol

KevinCow said:
It's near the end of the level. You should see the little phone thing by the minimap around the time Trevelyan calls you to say he set up a distraction or something. The thing to scan will be up in the tower where the sniper was, close to the floor.

We were talking about this a little earlier in the thread. Not just Kotaku, but a lot of reviews have said similar things. They're just silly people who haven't played a Wii shooter before and declare pointer controls broken because they're not pulling off headshot after headshot the instant they pick them up.

The controls are fine if you have any experience with a Wii shooter.

Found it. Thanks!

And yeah, I totally agree with the pointer controls being fine.

GeekyDad

Shawsie64 said:
So is it just me or is the AI in this game pretty impressive? Iv been loving it:D

Yeah, dude. When I saw one of the enemies dive for cover as I was shooting at him, I was like, "WTF!?" :lol

Definitely impressive. Still, the stealth elements are a bit obvious. Hard to knock much about the game, though, when it's this much fun. It has an organic pacing that reminds me a little bit of the Half-Life series.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
I played 4-way split screen multiplayer with some friends. It was fun. We liked the station, jungle, and archives map.

We laughed when somebody got killed by Oddjob's hat.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Outpost and Bunker are such amazing levels. Most of the levels are really good, with a lovely blend of stealth and action, and really feel like some of the best Bond gaming since the original game.

But again I must stress how fucking terrible the all-out action levels are when playing on 007 Classic. They're flat out broken and heavily unbalanced in favour of an enemy more numerous, stronger, and more accurate than yourself. Too often you're thrown into incomming enemy fire that you cannot avoid, and when the difficulty is all about health and armor management all it does is make progression immensely frustrating.

Which is a shame, as those same levels play really well with regenerating health, as that is clearly what they're designed for.

I really hope Activision and Eurocom team up again for another Bond game on the Wii, this time with an original premise. Hell, I wouldn't mind if it were another Bond film given the Craig treatment. But if they do get this chance, I hope they ditch they either rebalance the all-out action levels for 007 Classic, or put near exclusive focus on the stealth/action levels, which really are the highlight of this game.

Penguin

EatChildren said:
Outpost and Bunker are such amazing levels. Most of the levels are really good, with a lovely blend of stealth and action, and really feel like some of the best Bond gaming since the original game.

But again I must stress how fucking terrible the all-out action levels are when playing on 007 Classic. They're flat out broken and heavily unbalanced in favour of an enemy more numerous, stronger, and more accurate than yourself. Too often you're thrown into incomming enemy fire that you cannot avoid, and when the difficulty is all about health and armor management all it does is make progression immensely frustrating.

Which is a shame, as those same levels play really well with regenerating health, as that is clearly what they're designed for.

I really hope Activision and Eurocom team up again for another Bond game on the Wii, this time with an original premise. Hell, I wouldn't mind if it were another Bond film given the Craig treatment. But if they do get this chance, I hope they ditch they either rebalance the all-out action levels for 007 Classic, or put near exclusive focus on the stealth/action levels, which really are the highlight of this game.

Yeah would love to see this engine re-used for a Bond game, but I would suggest a movie.. I think it just give developers an easier frame to work inside of.

Also I like Craig's Bond but for the love of good, we need more gadgets than that bloody phone.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, a movie probably would be best. I was cynical about the Craigification of GoldenEye but this end result is great, so I'm sure they could 'update' another film just fine.

I'm sure it was a time issue, but I do think it was a missed opportunity to not have any unlockable missions similar to Aztek and Egyptian in the N64 game. It would have been great to do a Moonraker throwback, complete with zero G.

big_z

Shawsie64 said:
So is it just me or is the AI in this game pretty impressive? Iv been loving it:D

it's better than most fps out there and thats including ps3/360 games. enemies jump, slide and dive for cover, change cover, blind fire, flank, flee (some times while blind firing) and so on. it's very impressive and a nice surprise since i was expecting the shitty COD pop up target AI.

i wish the game had the n64 games hit detection. the enemies do a lot but always die the same. i want to see them grab their hands or limp and so on.

big_z said:
it's better than most fps out there and thats including ps3/360 games. enemies jump, slide and dive for cover, change cover, blind fire, flee while some times doing so while blind firing and so on. it's very impressive and a nice surprise since i was expecting the shitty COD pop up target AI.
Yeah I like it when you wipe out a group and are approaching the last guy. Like you mentioned, occasionally he'll flee like a little chicken shit running back while blind firing behind him (towards you). :lol

big_z

Mr Sandman said:
Yeah I like it when you wipe out a group and are approaching the last guy. Like you mentioned, occasionally he'll flee like a little chicken shit running back while blind firing behind him (towards you). :lol

yeah i dont think i've played another game that does that either. maybe halo but i cant remember for sure. it seems like they sometimes try to duck your bullets when changing cover too. some really nice stuff in this game.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Shawsie64 said:
Some people have been saying this while others have been saying its complete crap. WHICH IS IT!?!?!
Probably buying it this coming weekend so I'll know soon enough

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Fantastical said:
Some people have been saying this while others have been saying its complete crap. WHICH IS IT!?!?!
It's a little of both. Some enemies are stupid and will crouch with their back to you even though they saw you previously.

one_kill

How do you get extra grenades? Do you only get two per spawn?

I'm still trying to get used to the CoD style match. It's very fast lol

big_z

Fantastical said:

it's a mix of both. enemies put in predefined places like snipers or rocket launcher guys are dumb. some hallway enemies do the basic run to you and shoot but there are a bunch of smart guys in the mix. hard to say if it's the AI messing up or done intentionally but either way it gives the game nice variety.

the only dumb AI thing i've really noticed is if you kill one guy and another is walking towards him he wont always see the dead guy. this might be because bodies fade shortly after hitting the ground so maybe to the living AI the dead guy already doesnt exist in game. if they see the guy during the death animation they usually notice.

It's a little of both. Some enemies are stupid and will crouch with their back to you even though they saw you previously.

i've seen that once or twice so far but they've been looking down another hallway waiting for me while i snuck around to their backs.

Fantastical said:
Did anyone pick up the DS version? Wondering how that turned out.

I got it. Just playing through the campaign. It's pretty good. Not a bad game, its solid. It tries to be like the Wii version, but if falls short (of course). The storytelling is significantly different from the Wii version, which I find pretty interesting. For example, there's no truck sequence in the beginning, most of the conversation that would go on during that scene goes on in the sequence where you break into the facility.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Rush2thestart said:
I got it. Just playing through the campaign. It's pretty good. Not a bad game, its solid. It tries to be like the Wii version, but if falls short (of course). The storytelling is significantly different from the Wii version, which I find pretty interesting. For example, there's no truck sequence in the beginning, most of the conversation that would go on during that scene goes on in the sequence where you break into the facility.
Does it kind of feel like playing the original N64 game? :D I'm guessing no, but the graphics and stuff are comparable.

Fantastical said:
Does it kind of feel like playing the original N64 game? :D I'm guessing no, but the graphics and stuff are comparable.

As much as the Wii version, I'd say, but in different ways. Mostly in locations, not in gameplay.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Rush2thestart said:
As much as the Wii version, I'd say, but in different ways. Mostly in locations, not in gameplay.
Ah, okay. Thanks. Don't think I will pick it up, but there is virtually no coverage of this game. I can't find a single review.

big_z said:
it's a mix of both. enemies put in predefined places like snipers or rocket launcher guys are dumb. some hallway enemies do the basic run to you and shoot but there are a bunch of smart guys in the mix. hard to say if it's the AI messing up or done intentionally but either way it gives the game nice variety.

the only dumb AI thing i've really noticed is if you kill one guy and another is walking towards him he wont always see the dead guy. this might be because bodies fade shortly after hitting the ground so maybe to the living AI the dead guy already doesnt exist in game. if they see the guy during the death animation they usually notice.

i've seen that once or twice so far but they've been looking down another hallway waiting for me while i snuck around to their backs.
I would have liked if they did the XIII route where you can hide the bodies in first person. That was really cool and would have fit in perfect with the other first person stuff. It really is odd to kill a guy and see a guard walk where his body's supposed to be (with a gun there) and not take notice. Maybe next time Eurocom?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
big_z said:
it's better than most fps out there and thats including ps3/360 games. enemies jump, slide and dive for cover, change cover, blind fire, flank, flee (some times while blind firing) and so on. it's very impressive and a nice surprise since i was expecting the shitty COD pop up target AI.

i wish the game had the n64 games hit detection. the enemies do a lot but always die the same. i want to see them grab their hands or limp and so on.

that blew my mind back in the day, still does now i swear not many games do this to this day

Mael

Well this weekend was interesting, tried the local multi on GE Wii and well we had that set up:

p1 : Wiimote/nun
p2 : Wiimote/nun
p3 : CCPRO
p4 : GC controller

well I was p1 and was basically unkillable by anyone...
the guy in p3 actually handed it well and all

then as the disadvantage became clear I actually changed p1 to CC.

THEN p2 dominated for the rest of the time we were on the game.

I was the only one with any experience with the game and Wiimote fps.
The guy in p3 is actually a Halo/Gears player and p2 is a pc gamer while p4 had experience with the cube.

In short, even with uninitiated people Wiimote raped the others :/

Oh yeah and the new facility map suck balls

I bought this on a whim on Saturday and am shocked by how good it seems - Admittedly, I've not had the time to play it an awful lot (I'm only on the 'escape from facility' stage) but the developers appear to have done a very creditable job. It controls well (though I've only used the CC thus far - I've been too tired to aim effectively with the remote) it looks great as long as I perform the 'sit further away from the TV for the perception of a resolution boost' trick and it's actually been carefully considered, rather than the cheap cash-in many of us thought likely.

I feared an all-out action shooter, but it's mixing it up pretty well at this point.

A.CHAP

Banned
Loving this game. Single player is great thanks to the choice between stealth and action and ive only played on opperative so far.

Ive only spent 2 hours online, using wii remote Exp 3 with some customizing to speed it up and ADS snap-to turned off (its is only needed for dual analogue shooters). Im doing well so far and almost always get the most hip fire eliminations accolade. I like the way you can be running full tilt and still have enough hip-fire accuracy to take some one out at mid-long range with an AK, which was much more difficult in CoD.

gamingeek

Goldeneye continues to be the shit.

I expected that there would be a mix of great and okay levels. But the consistency is great here, the jungle is soooooo much better than I expected and the villain facility afterwards is great. When did Eurocom get level design this good before?

Apart from the Club which was meh, there are a couple of good levels and then the rest are excellent. The AI and weapons, it feels like Halo in respect to the "Combat Evolved" moniker. This feels like it does for realistic FPS, as what Halo did for sci fi ones. The balance is there, the level design is tighter than anything I have played in the COD games. It all feels very satisfying. All I can complain about is that the frame rate is pitchey here and there. This is an excellent game for fast and furious action as well as being great fun for people who like to experiment and sneak about.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
gamingeek said:
Goldeneye continues to be the shit.

I expected that there would be a mix of great and okay levels. But the consistency is great here, the jungle is soooooo much better than I expected and the villain facility afterwards is great. When did Eurocom get level design this good before?

Apart from the Club which was meh, there are a couple of good levels and then the rest are excellent. The AI and weapons, it feels like Halo in respect to the "Combat Evolved" moniker. This feels like it does for realistic FPS, as what Halo did for sci fi ones. The balance is there, the level design is tighter than anything I have played in the COD games. It all feels very satisfying. All I can complain about is that the frame rate is pitchey here and there. This is an excellent game for fast and furious action as well as being great fun for people who like to experiment and sneak about.

Wiimote wise?

also my order STILL hasn't arrived, Amazon have informed me that they have shipped Black Ops as well so either xmas is screwing things up or it is just running late... argh I wants to play it

1GabUp

EatChildren said:
I'm sure it was a time issue, but I do think it was a missed opportunity to not have any unlockable missions similar to Aztek and Egyptian in the N64 game.

Sad... I hoped that these special missions would be there...

Mael

jufonuk said:
Wiimote wise?

also my order STILL hasn't arrived, Amazon have informed me that they have shipped Black Ops as well so either xmas is screwing things up or it is just running late... argh I wants to play it

the customisation is not as easy to pull off as in the Conduit or Red Steel 2 but when it clicks it works like a charm like it should, people complaining about them are on crack or trolling.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Mael said:
the customisation is not as easy to pull off as in the Conduit or Red Steel 2 but when it clicks it works like a charm like it should, people complaining about them are on crack or trolling.
cool though at this rate I think I am gonna get both black ops and Golden eye in the post at the same time and will not get as i intended a good playthrough of GE in single player, have heard form gaminggeek in the wii black ops thread that it looks crap awoo

I haven't perfected the Wii controls yet, and I'm not sure if they can be perfected. Whoever around here said to move the X and Y boxes to 10 was very wise, however. That said, I notice myself in the top 4 (edit, sorry!) or so every game when using the Wii controls. Haven't tested CCpro yet.

Either way, sniping with anything but the Wiimote is a terrible way to snipe.

gamingeek

Jufonuk, wii mote controls are fine for normal turning and aiming.

ADS lacks a (full screen) camera lock. Overall it works very well but not as good as Conduit, Red Steel 2 or MOHH2. I've found myself using a tiny dead zone in ADS which allows you a love of free movement in ADS and then using Z to get camera lock.

Honestly my biggest disappointment is the nunchuk lean move which pales in comaparison to the move in MOHH2.

Is the A.I. as stupid as it looks from some of the videos? I've seen the A.I. not react when you hit the glass window 5 feet away from them.

gamingeek

Cow Mengde said:
Is the A.I. as stupid as it looks from some of the videos? I've seen the A.I. not react when you hit the glass window 5 feet away from them.

The AI is awesome. I was hiding behind a tree stump on the jungle level, these guys flanked me so I ran forward to the next spot, and this guy worked his way around the edges of the foilage, and attacked me from behind. He was hiding behind the tree stump that I was using a second ago. I went into ADS and shredded the tree trunk and him to death. :D

TheKingsCrown said:
What is this????

I haven't even tried to lean with the Nunchuk!

Go into ADS, then tilt the nunchuk left or right to peek out of corners.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The only "stupid" behavior of the AI is when you are in front of them, like a few yards away, they are facing your way, and yet they can't even see you if they aren't in "alert mode".

It doesn't happen all the time, but i've noticed it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I haven't played a Wiimote shooter before. How hard is it to get used to? How long did it take you before it started to feel natural?

I've spent an hour or two with the game so far and I'm finding the control scheme really frustrating. I'm struggling so much to make even the simplest shots that I'm actually starting to favor silent/melee takedowns more than I usually do in this sort of game. I come from a PC FPS background so it's annoying to struggle so hard to do certain movements or shots that I would be able to do in my sleep with a keyboard/mouse.

Effect

Say you are on Agent difficulty but you didn't get one of the objectives and in order to progress to the next level it drops you down a difficulty. Can you then go back (after accepting the lower difficulty) to that mission that you didn't fully complete objective wise and select the Agent difficulty setting again to do it or does it automatically place you in with the lower difficulty again without giving you a choice?

Didn't think about this last night to check.

Mael

Akuun said:
I haven't played a Wiimote shooter before. How hard is it to get used to? How long did it take you before it started to feel natural?

I've spent an hour or two with the game so far and I'm finding the control scheme really frustrating. I'm struggling so much to make even the simplest shots that I'm actually starting to favor silent/melee takedowns more than I usually do in this sort of game. I come from a PC FPS background so it's annoying to struggle so hard to do certain movements or shots that I would be able to do in my sleep with a keyboard/mouse.

To be fair I'd say it's not the perfect game to acclimate yourself with the wiimote for shooters.
I mean before it became second nature for me I had to finish The conduit and fiddle with the controls every missions or so before finding the sweetspot...
So I'd say try fiddling with the dead zone and the turning speed in the tutorial mission at the beginning (or any place where there's no one)

Top Bottom