• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

gamingeek said:
Awesome impressions, nice to see someone loving the game.

thanks, I'm planning to write a review whenever the next review thread comes up. This game is golden

update: played 4.5 hours today. Got into the Archives, then stopped because I was starting to feel dizzy :p. The Severnaya-Bunker level is absolutely fantastic. I've reloaded the checkpoint at the beginning of Bunker about ten times because I wanted a stealthy flawless victory, and actually accomplished it (for the most part). I FEEL like a spy playing this game. This game is what made the original great and then some.

chidrock

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
I haven't done the corners part but I can't play the game worth shit with the classic controller, if you get the right customized settings with the Wii remote(check the post in this thread or link to ones mimicking the other Wii FPS), the controls are almost ideal.
Thanks for the response - part of the appeal for this with me is that I haven't played a FPS for the Wii yet and was looking forward to using the motion controls.

chidrock said:
Is there some kind of lightning deal coming up? (sorry for my ignorance)

The CC edition is part of Amazon's (UK - not sure about US) day one Black Friday deals. It goes up at 11am if it's relevant to your location!

This was my first dual analog FPS experience, and I must say I like the slightly slower experience it provides.

Honestly, I've not actually tried the Wii Remote + Nunchuck

Effect

Experienced my first slow down in the game during my escape from the Bunker. A very nice and intense experience but all action seemed to hit the frame rate a little bit at certain points. I don't really think I could have done that at all if I wasn't using the Wii remote. Impressed if people are able to do that with the classic controller. I don't think I could have reacted in time with I wasn't using the pointer at times and even then I died once I think because I rushed into an area to quickly and got surrounded.

Yup game looks even better with component cables.

Is anyone finding trouble connecting online? Within the last week or so I've had trouble a few times connecting. Though trying again a minute later usually let me in. I hope it's because more people are trying to connect then before.

jlevel13

Effect said:
Is anyone finding trouble connecting online? Within the last week or so I've had trouble a few times connecting. Though trying again a minute later usually let me in. I hope it's because more people are trying to connect then before.

This happened to me for the first time yesterday (a few times). When I first tried to log in it wouldn't let me, but on a second or third try I got through. Not too big of a deal, but hopefully it'll get sorted.

VerTiGo

Banned
Love this game. I slowly tweak wiimote options to my comfort and become more satisfied with each tweak. I normally don't care for shooters but very pleased with my purchase thus far. There is not anything I can find to hate on the campaign thus far. Wii owners looking for a solid holiday title should pick this up. It's not even necessary to pick it up for nostalgia either. Just a great game.

VerTiGo

Banned
Is it better to turn ADS snap off? I'm debating it since the ADS settings I've customized have become much more comfortable and effective.

With my Wiimote settings being more fine tune my enjoyment with the game is increasing. I won't include Metroid Prime 3 in this category but Goldeneye is making it very clear that I cannot go back to a dual-analog FPS ever again. The Conduit had decent options as well but it was too mediocre of a game to really care to try. The pay off here is great.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
VerTiGo said:
Is it better to turn ADS snap off? I'm debating it since the ADS settings I've customized have become much more comfortable and effective.

With my Wiimote settings being more fine tune my enjoyment with the game is increasing. I won't include Metroid Prime 3 in this category but Goldeneye is making it very clear that I cannot go back to a dual-analog FPS ever again. The Conduit had decent options as well but it was too mediocre of a game to really care to try. The pay off here is great.

Turn ADS Snap off makes the game so much better, sharpens up your aim, I also set to when I was in ADS the dead zone smaller to I can turn faster if enemies are running away.. I kinda feel like ADS SNAP TO is Cheating, or is that just me I think it was designed as Dual Analog is rubbish for fast aiming lock on so ADS Snap was the work around..again could just be me

VerTiGo

Banned
Well the need for it to "snap" onto enemies is lessened once you make the ADS bounding box smaller and increase turning speeds for both horizontal and vertical parameters.

What is that camera function? I have it turned on but I dont know the difference if its on or off.

It would be nice if they could pull the data as to how most people customize controls so they can better provide default control schemes for future shooters.

I have zero control issues here. They just only get better. High Voltage got pwned.

gamingeek

Has anyone attempted the time trials?

I've only tried 2 and not seriously, I just wanted to see what they were like.

Jesus, you either sneak and run out of time, or get bogged down in an intense fire fight, or you run like a man on fire and hope no one shoots you in the back.

:lol

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Picked this up today (the version with the classic controller), and I'm REALLY impressed by this game. I love the stealth gameplay. Eurocom really did some amazing things with the Wii in this game. I played it on my parents' 60" LCD HDTV and it still looked really good, better than most Wii games on an HDTV. This game really exceeded my expectations. :D

And bullshit at those journalists saying the Wii controls suck. You need to customize them. I listened to the last (I think) Rebel FM and they were complaining about the Wii remote controls. The CC controls are so hard to go back to after you play it with the Wiimote.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Plaything through this a bit more and I got to the nightclub level. Anybody know the version of "The Man I Love" by Ella Fitzgerald plays in the last part of this level?

gamingeek

Damnit I just completed the penultimate level in Goldeneye on 007 difficulty. :D I had forgotten how well it was designed. On 007 mode you can't just blast through the level so being more tactical it allowed me to appreciate the level design more.

The level has one really well designed set piece after the other, with really good level design. The first is this elaborate set of corridors and machines, then you emerge onto this multi leveled, almost wedding cake like design, making your way down. Then you go inside and there are these massive cylinders and rooms at the side you have to sneak through. Then a couple of rooms with things to destroy. You emerge out top and the complex is perfectly designed, although the rocket launcher guys reload a little too quickly to be sure.

Tab0203

This game is pretty good. Having said that, the developers should have focused on better pointer implementation. It's not bad, but I can see why people are having problems. First of all, the bounding box. There is a glitch (it gets stuck) when going into ADS mode. Also, why is 10 the lowest dead zone setting? Secondly, the frame rate. There's a reason Nintendo games run at a stable 60fps this generation. Less lag = better controls. BTW, where is my golden remote edition?

-unstable 30fps
-long load times
-unskippable cutscenes
-bounding box implementation, ADS
-sniper rifle remote implementation (too slow; no zoom?)
-brightness (too dark)
-no gadgets, no grenades? (SP)
-no bots
-no Bond-shooting-gun-barrel sequence
-mediocre ragdoll physics
-clipping
-mediocre music

Disguises said:
So I started reading Kotaku's (I know they has a bad rep over here) review of Goldeneye and got to this paragraph:

Kotaku said:
First-person shooters on a console should be played with twin analog controls, the way God intended.

The Remote/Nunchuk and Zapper configurations are tune-able but just not recommended, and I gave up on them rather quickly. They're not at all ergonomic for fast-twitch tasks like reloading, melee or grenades. On later levels, and in multiplayer, they're certainly not advantageous and I can't fathom how they're even useful.
My goodness.

scitek said:
God intended for auto-aim to be required, I guess. I honestly wish the framerate were better online so I could play well with pointer controls. They make the game 10x more fun for me.
Metal Gear?! said:
Some people don't like pointer control. It's no big deal.

I mean, I know a couple of guys that plug in a 360 controller to play PC shooters.
But any reviewer that did so to review a PC game would and should be dismissed.

Here's a different view:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/reviews/2010/11/a-classic-reborn-ars-reviews-goldeneye-007.ars
No matter how you want to play, the game has you covered. You can use the Wiimote and nunchuk if you'd like, the Wii Classic Controller, the Pro, or the Gamecube controller. Once you pick which one you like the best, the controls can be tweaked any way you'd like. Do you want your gun to snap to an enemy when you bring up the iron sights? It can, but it doesn't have to. Do you want smaller dead zones for turning if you're using the Wiimote? Adjust it. If you can't find a comfortable way to play, you're not trying.
KevinCow said:
What's nutty is that some of these reviews are saying that the pointer controls aren't any good and advising the reader to not even bother with them.
Pretty much.

gamingeek said:
Any chance of some offscreen pics from you on this game? :)
Give me a few days. :)

Here's an off-screen video: GoldenEye 007 - Wii Controls

stuminus3

Guy in EB games last week tried to convince me that I had to get a CC with the game because the controls are otherwise "not good".

I'm thinking of going back and punching the guy out. They're no different from any other Wii FPS. What a moron. How many years has the Wii been out now? Fucksake.

A little OT but the review for PES2011 in ONM UK said something to the effect of 'you NEED a CC for this; pointer controls are shit'.

If the official guys aren't even trying then fuck - who is?

stuminus3

MarshMellow96 said:
A little OT but the review for PES2011 in ONM UK said something to the effect of 'you NEED a CC for this; pointer controls are shit'.

If the official guys aren't even trying then fuck - who is?
You have got to be kidding! That's terrible. Wii PES is all about the pointer. It's poetry in videogame form.

Solo

So I'm just finally getting started. Loving the game so far (first level, lolz), but I am having one issue - controls. Granted this is the first time Ive touched a Wii since 2007 when I sold my first one and maybe Im just rusty with motion controls, but it just doesnt feel "right". It feels like once your pointer gets within about 5 inchs of the side of the screen it seems to snap hard to the side, resulting in my "oversteering" like all the time. Shit, one time I was unintentionally doing 360s.

Any remedy for this, or do I just need to give it time to get used to it? Trying to stick with the nunchuck/wiimote.

Penguin

Did you try mixing around with the various settings? There are plenty of options that should help you get the controls right.

Anyhow, I've been seeing an increase in the amount of the commercials for this game, wonder if that's a good or bad sign. Seems like may have sold decent and Activision is trying to pimp it out more.

Penguin said:
Did you try mixing around with the various settings? There are plenty of options that should help you get the controls right.

Anyhow, I've been seeing an increase in the amount of the commercials for this game, wonder if that's a good or bad sign. Seems like may have sold decent and Activision is trying to pimp it out more.

Where territory are you in?

I've been following the UK charts and it had just and ok start, but it seems to have pretty good legs. It's standing firm despite all the recent releases. Yes, even Black Ops. o_O

Solo said:
So I'm just finally getting started. Loving the game so far (first level, lolz), but I am having one issue - controls. Granted this is the first time Ive touched a Wii since 2007 when I sold my first one and maybe Im just rusty with motion controls, but it just doesnt feel "right". It feels like once your pointer gets within about 5 inchs of the side of the screen it seems to snap hard to the side, resulting in my "oversteering" like all the time. Shit, one time I was unintentionally doing 360s.

Any remedy for this, or do I just need to give it time to get used to it? Trying to stick with the nunchuck/wiimote.

I had the same problem, and solved it by plugging the CC. Real old school GE gameplay for me then, and it works well

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Solo said:

i just played around with the dead zone in both normal and ADS modes...turn off the snap too in ADS... I think you turn of autocentering as well, as that may make it snap to the side of the screen.

you know what i bet the same magazines etc that say the Wii pointer controls are rubbish for fps games will say the move controls are a better option then dual analog ehehe

Mael

jufonuk said:
i just played around with the dead zone in both normal and ADS modes...turn off the snap too in ADS... I think you turn of autocentering as well, as that may make it snap to the side of the screen.

you know what i bet the same magazines etc that say the Wii pointer controls are rubbish for fps games will say the move controls are a better option then dual analog ehehe

Noooooooooooooooooooo! They must keep pimping dual analog as the be all end all of fps on consoles!
How will I get my unfair advantage then?

Disguises

Anasui Kishibe said:
I had the same problem, and solved it by plugging the CC. Real old school GE gameplay for me then, and it works well
If you want proper old school GE gameplay, try using the beginner Wii remote+nunchuck setting. (I don't know what its called, but it's the top option). It replicated the N64 controls very well. Turn on the cheaty aim assist and that's as close as you'll get. :)

I started going through 007 difficulty after I looked up, then remembered how to hack one of the nodes (thought it was glitched). I hooked it up to my 19" LCD and man it looks great! Not as jaggy as I was expecting. They really did a good job all things considered. Got up to the Nightclub level; can't wait to play more. Runway wasn't as hard on 007 as I was expecting. I guess I was expecting CoD Veteran garbage bullshit.

Peru

Solo said:

I had the same problem on the first level, but then I got used to it. I say stick to it and learn to not make wild movements when trying to turn around. Now it never happens anymore for me and it feels 'right'.

MYE

Solo said:

Use the custom controls gamingeek posted in this thread

http://uk.gamespot.com/wii/adventure...=997757&page=2

StevieP

Banned
Game reviewers are, for the most part, a complete and utter joke on the console front. Dual-analog for FPS should've been dead long ago. There are some things analog controls are good for (platformers, racing) and there are some things that pointer tech in any form are good for (shooters, rts). While this isn't the best pointer implementation on the Wii by default (without tweaks) it can be used to demonstrate the giant gulf of precision between the 2 technologies in a simple match of multiplayer.

Solo said:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997757-goldeneye-007/57031340

embarassing gamefaqs post, but the values this dude had provided have worked extremely well for me. Use these as the base, and from there feel free to adjust things like turning speed.

Disguises said:
If you want proper old school GE gameplay, try using the beginner Wii remote+nunchuck setting. (I don't know what its called, but it's the top option). It replicated the N64 controls very well. Turn on the cheaty aim assist and that's as close as you'll get. :)

cannot really get used to no auto aim. i'm weaksauce :lol

gamingeek

Can I ask, what problems are people having with the controls?

Normal turning or Aim Down Sights?

Or both?

I think you can get normal turning as good as any other FPS on Wii - but it's the ADS which isn't as good as MOHH2, Conduit or Black Ops.

Mainly because the camera lock only applies to a small, invisible rectangle in the middle of the screen - regardless of the size of your dead zone. The dead zone, when it's over the size of the small, invisible rectangle in the middle of the screen, it doesn't matter how large you make it.

The screen will still turn when it reaches the edge of the small, invisible rectangle in the middle of the screen.

It's perfectly workable but on the very final level defending Natalya, you feel the ADS deficiency.

So IMO you have to either make the dead zone as large as possible and use camera lock or make the dead zone in ADS as small as possible and up your turning speed.

Zomba13

So I've been playing this recently. Really enjoying it. I've been using the GC pad after not liking the wiimote+chuck option, I think it's because the way I'm sitting and angle to the TV etc. Only thing I don't like is how everything has so much aliasing and I think the FPS drops sometimes. Oh, and at one point during the first or second level I just fell through the world for no reason. Not happened since though and I'm almost done with the Archive.

I couldn't believe it when I heard people who played MW Reflex thought these controls were faulty. When I actually played it, and I kinda saw what they were talking about. However, the fault doesn't lie with the controls, it lies with a camera option thats on by default. The "look" function makes the game so disorienting to play. It makes the game feel too twitchy.

As soon as I turned it off, I found the controls to be on par with COD.

Solo

eshwaaz

Thank you, GAF, for convincing me to give this a try. Positive reviews had me curious, but it was the positive buzz here that pushed me over the edge.

I didn't realize how tired I'd become of the CoD school of single-player design until I played Goldeneye Wii. Since you're not constantly assaulted with waves of enemies, each encounter and kill actually feels relevant. Level design is excellent, with less focus on smothering you with set pieces and more attention given to actual pacing.

I'd forgotten how much fun it can be to take it slow and be stealthy in a FPS. I also really appreciate that run-and-gun is also almost always a viable approach as well. After years of CoD, it was refreshing to discover that while using iron sights gives you better accuracy, shooting from the hip is also still effective (and is sometimes the superior option).

The visuals were somewhat jarring at first, especially when it comes to anything that uses transparency - muzzle flashes, smoke, spotlights, etc. The dithering is quite bad, and gives things that are meant to have a soft glow and luminescence a grainy, low-fidelity appearance. I also dislike how quickly bodies disappear; such things really suck me out of the game.

The sound is somewhat mixed. Many weapons sound disappointingly weak and lack punch, but the bullet impact sounds and thuds of bodies are quite nice.

I forced myself to try the game with motion controls first before trying the Classic Controller, and using the settings listed in this thread I've acclimated pretty well. There are still moments where I jerk the camera around too quick and lose my orientation, but in general it's worked well and helps to make it feel like a unique experience.

In general, I'm thrilled. The original N64 Goldeneye may be my most replayed single player game ever; I was replaying my favorite levels (which were just about all of them) every day for seven months. The Wii version can certainly never live up to those standards, but I am already looking forward to a second playthrough.

Eurocom deserves some serious praise for this one. What sounded like a shameless cash grab by Activision is actually one of the best single player FPSs I've played in years.

Mael

eshwaaz said:
Thank you, GAF, for convincing me to give this a try. Positive reviews had me curious, but it was the positive buzz here that pushed me over the edge.

I didn't realize how tired I'd become of the CoD school of single-player design until I played Goldeneye Wii. Since you're not constantly assaulted with waves of enemies, each encounter and kill actually feels relevant. Level design is excellent, with less focus on smothering you with set pieces and more attention given to actual pacing.

I'd forgotten how much fun it can be to take it slow and be stealthy in a FPS. I also really appreciate that run-and-gun is also almost always an viable approach as well. After years of CoD, it was refreshing to discover that while iron sights gives you better accuracy, shooting from the hip is also still effective (and is sometimes the superior option).

The visuals were somewhat jarring at first, especially when it comes to anything that uses transparency - muzzle flashes, smoke, spotlights, etc. The dithering is quite bad, and gives things that are meant to have a soft glow and luminescence a grainy, low-fidelity appearance. I also dislike how quickly bodies disappear; such things really suck me out of the game.

The sound is somewhat mixed. Many weapons sound disappointingly weak and lack punch, but the bullet impact sounds and thuds of bodies are quite nice.

I forced myself to try the game with motion controls first before trying the Classic Controller, and using the settings listed in this thread I've acclimated pretty well. There are still moments where I jerk the camera around too quick and lose my orientation, but in general it's worked well and helps to make it feel like a unique experience.

In general, I'm thrilled. The original N64 Goldeneye may be my most replayed single player game ever; I was replaying my favorite levels (which were just about all of them) every day for seven months. The Wii version can certainly never live up to those standards, but I am already looking forward to a second playthrough.

Eurocom deserves some serious praise for this one. What sounded like a shameless cash grab by Activision is actually one of the best single player FPSs I've played in years.

glad you liked it :D
on the bolded part I always wondered if there was a fps out there where each encounter was really important. Something akin to SotC for the killcount where there's very little foes but with vastly superior AI.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
eshwaaz said:

I'd forgotten how much fun it can be to take it slow and be stealthy in a FPS. I also really appreciate that run-and-gun is also almost always an viable approach as well. After years of CoD, it was refreshing to discover that while iron sights gives you better accuracy, shooting from the hip is also still effective (and is sometimes the superior option).

I agree completely, although I was kinda impressed by the visuals for a Wii game. When I was about to hook them up to my HDTV I was thinking they would look terrible, but they didn't look anywhere near as bad as I thought they would. And some of the animations of the other characters are amazing.

I'm having a blast with multiplayer currently. I bought this for something to do in my spare time throughout the Thanksgiving weekend, and I'm definitely not having buyer's remorse. The modes are fun, goldeneye being my favorite. I now come in first place many times which is satisfying. The thing I'm wondering is why they made the last two modes so damn hard to unlock. Seriously, level 25 and 30 to unlock modes? Does anybody even play those?

I'm also on the last area of the single player mode. Can't wait until the last level. :D

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Annoying Old Party Man said:
Is anyone else having problems with the ADS looking up while you're looking at the center of the screen? Had this happen multiple times and it is infuriating.

does it lock onto a light or something? are you in the arms fair?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Annoying Old Party Man said:
Yes, I'm in the arms fair..
if it is locking onto the lights it is because you can shoot the lights down and the ADS is jsut locking onto that, I guess you can use the lights to kill peoples

Top Bottom