• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoldenEye 007 |OT| For 360, James? No... For Wii

Hmm, I've been playing this the last few days and it's decent but I'm not really enjoying it as much as I expected. I loved the pointer controls for Metroid and Red Steel 2 but here it feels a bit janky compared to those 2 games. Maybe it's the lack of silky smooth 60fps coupled with the unstable 30fps frame rate that really hurts the controls for this game. I've tried customizing my own controls for this using the templates from here (thanks gamingeek!) but it just never feels as good as the other high profile 1pses. It's a shame, cos if they did up the frame rate to 60 it could have been a really special game tech wise.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Annoying Old Party Man said:
Wow, I wasn't even aware of that. Thanks!

No Worries, It happend to me I decided to try out the CC on that level at that particular time I kept on ADSing and it kept on happening then I twigged onto the fact it might be for that.

swerve

wackojackosnose said:
Hmm, I've been playing this the last few days and it's decent but I'm not really enjoying it as much as I expected. I loved the pointer controls for Metroid and Red Steel 2 but here it feels a bit janky compared to those 2 games.

I'm the opposite. The hugely customisable controls have made this my favourite Wii fps. Being able to make ADS be a locked (or near-locked) camera so you can just point at who you want, and turning off the tilt option in the camera controls , has really made it tremendously easy to play, even when running and gunning.

Actually, I am a bit disappointed about how crazy the default controls are compared to what's possible. But compared to the Metroid games, I'm much happier with the control options here.

swerve said:
Actually, I am a bit disappointed about how crazy the default controls are compared to what's possible. But compared to the Metroid games, I'm much happier with the control options here.
Yeah, I didn't like any of the defaults so the difficult and time consuming customization options are a bit off putting and overwhelming. At least with RS2 the defaults were quite usable and when I wanted to customize the controls I only had to go through a few option screens and then I could fidde around with all of the options on the fly (it just paused the game and had everything you could customize on one or two screens and you could try out what you changed immediately instead of saving and exiting back to the game). In comparison, the menu interface in GE is ridiculously slow that I just don't want to take the time to customize my own controls, going through each option one by one, exiting 5 or so menus back to the game just to try what I did, realising that what I did isn't good and then cycling through the menus again to change things one at a time etc etc...

jufonuk

not tag worthy
BigJonsson said:
The Solar Plant was insane, I started having flashbacks to Control Room on N64..........fuck I hated that part of the game hah

me too, it was like up till thatpoint the game was pretty chilled out then on that level, shit it went nuts lol

thomaser

I think I like the online here better than in CoD Black Ops. Goldeneye feels more solid, somehow, and I actually like the simpler levels and fewer options. CoD is just too chaotic now. I guess most people disagree, though.

jlevel13

thomaser said:
I think I like the online here better than in CoD Black Ops. Goldeneye feels more solid, somehow, and I actually like the simpler levels and fewer options. CoD is just too chaotic now. I guess most people disagree, though.

The online is basically solid if you can overlook the framerate, but I feel like there are a couple things holding it back - namely that other than team deathmatch and golden gun, the modes you can play aren't that great, and the more interesting looking modes (classic bond, yes please) are locked behind an absorb leveling system. My guess is to get to to level 35 for classic bond one will probably have to play for around 70+ hours. Some of the equipment unlocks are just crazy with guns that don't unlock until level 57 (maybe several hundreds of hours of gameplay to get there?). It's just not compelling enough to grind all the way up there - I mean, I unlocked the third shotgun at level 17 after 15+ hours and it is actually WORSE than the earlier shotguns you have - that was also a turnoff - great, I can now use a worse gun?

That said, they way they have grounded & simplified the online (compared to CoD) is a nice change. I do appreciate that nobody can bunny hop or drop shot - it does make things feel more solid and less aggravating.

thomaser

Yeah, I agree that the levelling is ridiculously slow. That's one area the latest CoD got right! Maybe it could be patched or fixed on the server level to speed it up a bit?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Leveling is definitely a problem for me. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO slow. I wish the extra XP opportunities, such as weapon challenges were more plentiful and just better.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I dont see much reason to play GoldenEye online. Outside of a couple of cool modes, its a shitty Call of Duty clone stripped of the polish and features that both Modern Warfare and Black Ops offer. I have no gripes against the 'feel' of the gameplay, it just doesn't do anything all that unique or interesting to seperate itself from its bigger, better cousins.

Similar complaints for split-screen. I dig split-screen, but calling it the return of GoldenEye multiplayer and forcing loadouts is some seriously stupid shit. Still too much like Call of Duty-lite.

eshwaaz

Just beat it - really a fantastic single-player experience. One of the most pleasant surprises of the year for me.

The final level soured things for me somewhat; from
"Protect Natalya"
through to the end was pretty miserable. The developers succumbed to some really unfortunate lazy design that was not present throughout the rest of the game. I got so frustrated that I was tempted to switch over to the CC just for that part; there was no reason for that section to be so damn long with no checkpoints.

The extended shootout with
Alec
was ridiculous,
with absolutely no logic behind why he was such an insanely resilient bullet-sponge and no real cover from the infinitely respawning soldiers coming from all directions.
It felt like a bad CoD encounter.

Still, that aside, I loved it. I want to see more FPSs with this design approach in the future. There are more than enough over-the-top action movie FPSs out there already.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
eshwaaz said:
Just beat it - really a fantastic single-player experience. One of the most pleasant surprises of the year for me.

The final level soured things for me somewhat; from
"Protect Natalya"
through to the end was pretty miserable. The developers succumbed to some really unfortunate lazy design that was not present throughout the rest of the game. I got so frustrated that I was tempted to switch over to the CC just for that part; there was no reason for that section to be so damn long with no checkpoints.

The extended shootout with
Alec
was ridiculous,
with absolutely no logic behind why he was such an insanely resilient bullet-sponge and no real cover from the infinitely respawning soldiers coming from all directions.
It felt like a bad CoD encounter.

Still, that aside, I loved it. I want to see more FPSs with this design approach in the future. There are more than enough over-the-top action movie FPSs out there already.

I am glad I wasn't the only one to experience frustration at these parts, game went from badass to me bitting the controller in frustration at those parts :lol

jufonuk said:
I am glad I wasn't the only one to experience frustration at these parts, game went from badass to me bitting the controller in frustration at those parts :lol

The frustration made it enjoyable lol

gamingeek

jufonuk said:
yeah but the constant "James" "help me James" drove me bonkers in parts

What you do is camp out at this spot they use for overlooking her and shooting her. They run towards you and you take them out. Then when the next flood of bad guys come through look at your map so you know where they are coming from. That way next try you can sit yourself in front of those opening doors and mow them down en masse.

Then, the best way to deal with it is to run up and melee some fools to save ammo and then shoot from the hip for the rest of them.

Just finished it today. Enjoyed it a ton overall, much more than black ops or really any other shooter this year for single player.

Super disappointed that eurocom fell back on the "guy who takes 500 bullets to kill" boss fight at the end. :(

Worst FPS trope ever. Especially with infinitely spawning enemies around him that are similarily regular humans that go down with a few bursts from a rifle. While you pour clip after clip into the boss to no effect. Stupid.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
gamingeek said:
What you do is camp out at this spot they use for overlooking her and shooting her. They run towards you and you take them out. Then when the next flood of bad guys come through look at your map so you know where they are coming from. That way next try you can sit yourself in front of those opening doors and mow them down en masse.

Then, the best way to deal with it is to run up and melee some fools to save ammo and then shoot from the hip for the rest of them.

I just ran around like a nutcase and managed to get em sorted, as for the Alec Fight sometimes his AI would insult me an fire at me most of the time he just looped around in a pattern as for the spawning guys I found a handy hiding spot to take them all out then kept shotgunning and meleeing Alec... time to check out Black ops now, not sure if I am into the online on GE.

Kevtones

I'm somehow loving the online except for the whole host quit/experience nullified BS. I also agree the leveling is too slow and poorly balanced.

Patches would make things better...

- Prestige for weapons accolades. They go up six levels so just 2X, 3X the experience on the next go-rounds and make the amount of kills required a little more.
- Give experience for every assist.

SonOfABeep said:
Just finished it today. Enjoyed it a ton overall, much more than black ops or really any other shooter this year for single player.

Super disappointed that eurocom fell back on the "guy who takes 500 bullets to kill" boss fight at the end. :(

Worst FPS trope ever. Especially with infinitely spawning enemies around him that are similarily regular humans that go down with a few bursts from a rifle. While you pour clip after clip into the boss to no effect. Stupid.

I do believe they were trying to avoid the "final boss is just a QTE" trope...

Surely people have noticed that it's QTE - fight - QTE, right?

I think the online is fun as long as you're not playing for the exp. It is way too slow and the game is very miserly with the bonuses. But if you just go in looking for a fun romp and be surprised when you earn something. None of the maps feel broken with the exception of it being nearly impossible to see M16 in the sewers. Furthermore, because the broken weapons (automatic shotgun, etc.) and traps (proximity mines) are unlocked at such high levels, I doubt anyone will legitimately have them anytime soon.

I do wish I had the thermal scope though. I'm only at 26 and its probably hours and hours away at 38.

Hiltz

So comparing Golden Eye 007 to The Conduit, which is better in terms of single player as well as online multiplayer?

Conduit's single player mode was mediocre at every turn. The only redeeming feature was the online play and some of the cool guns.

It's the only FPS I own at the moment. Although, my sister's boyfriend brought over Medal of Honor Heroes 2.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Hiltz said:
So comparing Golden Eye 007 to The Conduit, which is better in terms of single player as well as online multiplayer?

Conduit's single player mode was mediocre at every turn. The only redeeming feature was the online play and some of the cool guns.

It's the only FPS I own at the moment. Although, my sister's boyfriend brought over Medal of Honor Heroes 2.

GoldenEye's single player is so far above The Conduit there's no point comparing the two at all. The Conduit is all round mediocre and unpolished. GoldenEye is genuinely fantastic.

Multiplayer is better in GoldenEye in my opinion, but I dont really like either of them.

Hiltz

Does GoldenEye's single player mode offer decent replay value ?

I'm kind of concerned over the online mode's seemingly unstable frame rate issues. So It would be nice to have an good single player mode to fall back on just in case.

Hiltz said:

The Conduit is a pile of shit compared to Goldeneye it's not even a contest

it's a pile of shit compared to my shit as well, to be honest

and yes, it has immense replay value. You can adapt different tactics at every level

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Framerate and glitches made The Conduit MP unplayable for me. Goldeneye seems to suffer also of low MP framerate, but doesn't seem to be nearly as buggy. As for MP FPSs, the CoDs Wii are the best on the system.

EatChildren

I guess so. On higher difficulties there's additional objectives to look out for, and there's time trials (though they stupidly dont unlock anything).

Most replay value will come down to how fun it is. Its not just a good Wii shooter, its a great shooter in general. Thoroughlly enjoyed every second.

The thing about the Conduit is that the maps were sterile, symmetrical, and 'safe' by design standards. Maps are better in Goldeneye multiplayer, with the exception of sewers. The guns in the Conduit are far worse too, never had any oomph. Netcode was VASTLY inferior compared to Goldeneye.

Goldeneye's problem is the unlock system takes so much time to give you the good toys in the toybox.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Gram Negative Cocci said:
Goldeneye's problem is the unlock system takes so much time to give you the good toys in the toybox.

And BO problem is that its too fast. I miss the challenge of aiming for 75 headshots with inferior weapons. The part that I enjoyed more about Reflex. As for WaW, bolt action challenges can burn in hell.

Hiltz

Thanks for the help guys.

I own a Classic Controller Pro just in case the Wii controls aren't going to click with me. However, the chances of that happening seem unlikely.

StevieP

Banned
Hiltz said:
Thanks for the help guys.

I own a Classic Controller Pro just in case the Wii controls aren't going to click with me. However, the chances of that happening seem unlikely.

They're not as good, by default, as the ones in the CoD games for instance. But tweaking will solve that for you.

Ricker

I don`t know how some of you can play this with the Wiimote and Nunchuk...absolutly unplayable for me,I tried every setting possible,just cant do it...so I plugged in the old Gamecube controller,so much better...oh and this game is stupid hard,it`s just ridiculous... :lol

Penguin

Ricker said:
I don`t know how some of you can play this with the Wiimote and Nunchuk...absolutly unplayable for me,I tried every setting possible,just cant do it...so I plugged in the old Gamecube controller,so much better...oh and this game is stupid hard,it`s just ridiculous... :lol

Easy, point, aim and shoot. Got me thru the game in no time flat. :lol

XPE

Ricker said:

What difficulty are you playing it on ?

Ricker

XPE said:
What difficulty are you playing it on ?

Playing on Agent,I even had to redo a mission because I missed a secondary mission(or maybe it wasn`t secondary) and the game told me that I could go on but they would drop me down to recruit if I did :lol ... oh and it`s just me with the Wiimote controls,they probably work well,obviously,since some of you finished the game fine with them hehe.I just can`t do it.

StevieP

Banned
Ricker said:
Playing on Agent,I even had to redo a mission because I missed a secondary mission(or maybe it wasn`t secondary) and the game told me that I could go on but they would drop me down to recruit if I did :lol ... oh and it`s just me with the Wiimote controls,they probably work well,obviously,since some of you finished the game fine with them hehe.I just can`t do it.

Make your starting point the 3rd advanced/custom control option, and adjust the bounding box to be almost as small as possible. Turning speed/sensitivity up. Then play with your hands on your knees, relaxed, so they are steady and not shaky.

StevieP

Banned
Jokeropia said:
I've gotten this game now and damn, it's really fucking good.

It's a shame it's probably not going to sell that well. The single player is so much better than anything out there other than what Valve makes.

gamingeek

Ricker said:

Duuuude. WTF? :lol

heringer

Fuck this game. If I fail to fing one lousy box it forces me to play with the easiest setting. What a dumb thing to do. It doesn't even have the courtesy to allow me to get back to the latest checkpoint and check what I missed. Nope, you have to restart the whole super long motherfucking level. Fucking jerks that think their game is so fucking special people won't mind replaying levels just because a sadistic sob thought hey, why the fuck not.

:(

heringer said:
Fuck this game. If I fail to fing one lousy box it forces me to play with the easiest setting. What a dumb thing to do. It doesn't even have the courtesy to allow me to get back to the latest checkpoint and check what I missed. Nope, you have to restart the whole super long motherfucking level. Fucking jerks that think their game is so fucking special people won't mind replaying levels just because a sadistic sob thought hey, why the fuck not.

:(

it's all a matter of memorizing that shit, mang. What level you having trouble, anyway?

heringer

Anasui Kishibe said:
it's all a matter of memorizing that shit, mang. What level you having trouble, anyway?
Wasn't really having any particular trouble. It's just that I don't know when the level will end, so a couple of times I was thinking "ok, just one more objective" and bam, the level ends and I have to replay the whole thing again. It's dumb. Sure, the objectives are easy to find, but you can miss a couple here and there, and the game is very unforgiving in this case.

But despite of that, I love this game. It's the best first person shooter campaign I've played in a long time.

oh, I see now :lol . Yeah, game's definitely designed to be a sneak fest, and it makes you explore every nook and cranny which is not always easy because levels are damn huge. Not that I'm complaining, I loved that!

Ricker

StevieP said:
Make your starting point the 3rd advanced/custom control option, and adjust the bounding box to be almost as small as possible. Turning speed/sensitivity up. Then play with your hands on your knees, relaxed, so they are steady and not shaky.

You know,that actually helped me a lot and I can play with the Wiimote/Nunchuk that way now...until I reached the tank level,but that`s another story alltogether :lol

Solo

Finally jumped back into this. After using that config someone posted, suddenly the game controls 10x better, and Im really enjoying it. Only up to Dubai so far, but the game feels remarkably fresh and entertaining. Best SP shooter in quite some time.

heringer

Another tip is to turn the music volume up. It makes the game even better, at least to me. :D

Anyway, finished the game. A little disappointed that Eurocom went with the most cheap design ever for the last boss, but overall still a brilliant game and the best Bond game ever.

Though I feel sorry for people who experienced the last part of the game on classic mode. Yukes.

Solo

This game is fucking badass. Just reached the Archives and man, nostalgia waves are splashing all over me. They really nailed this setting.

Top Bottom