• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good 2D Jump&Runs on PSX?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
klonoa and tomba, most prominently. if you're willing to pay too much for an obscure import, i only hear good things about chippoke ralph no daibouken/adventures of little ralph. i'm currently looking for a copy myself.

edit: oh, and umihara kawase. which has the best grappling hook play in any platformer ever. there's also a version on super famicom.

edit 2: and ganbare goemon: uchuu kaizoku akogingu. which was recently rereleased on the budget ps books line. there are a bunch of goemon games on psx, but this is the good one.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
drohne said:
edit: oh, and umihara kawase. which has the best grappling hook play in any platformer ever. there's also a version on super famicom.

oh, that's the game Marty was talking about a couple of years ago huh? I remember thinking it looked hot.

There's also that Gunstar Heroes clone on the PSX... forget the name.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"There's also that Gunstar Heroes clone on the PSX... forget the name."

Panzer Bandit

DCharlie

sorry - i'm getting my Gunstar Heroes and Guardain Heroes mixed up. :)

Panzer Bandit is a Guardian Heroes clone.
Rapid Reload / Gunenrs Heaven is a Gunstar clone

Don't forget this little guy:

ayumu_9-img600x450-108982134600_011.jpg

gillan072-img600x450-1088354636p6280004.jpg

DCharlie

i remember HH having funky music.

other ones, most of which suck :

Monkey Magic
Kitchen Panic
Cooly Skunk

hmm... mind is going blank...

Soul4ger

DCharlie said:
i remember HH having funky music.

other ones, most of which suck :

Monkey Magic
Kitchen Panic
Cooly Skunk

hmm... mind is going blank...

It was Punky Skunk in NA. Not sure if it was renamed in a different territory.

DCharlie

yeah, it's either Cuuurry or Cooly skunk in Japan. I have it (unforutantely)

it's KUURI SUKANKU or something like that.

eso76

drohne said:

Oohhh, that was great on SFC, i didn't know there was a psx version.
And i've always wanted to try adventures of little ralph, but i couldn't find it anywhere...

Anyone knows where can i get them from ?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
shibbs said:

Heh, I actually really enjoyed this game as well. A lot of people didn't like it for some reason, but I thought it was pretty fresh and fun. Oddly enoguh, my biggest complaint is that the levels were almost TOO long.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
dark10x said:
Heh, I actually really enjoyed this game as well. A lot of people didn't like it for some reason, but I thought it was pretty fresh and fun. Oddly enoguh, my biggest complaint is that the levels were almost TOO long.
I didn't like it because it didn't come even close to realizing the potential of the concept. All you did was grab and smash everything, enemies, boxes, even the final boss! It was so repetitive and boring.

aku:jiki

drohne said:
Yes. Watch out for the re-release, though. Xing thought they needed to be bloody bastards and slap a new cover, title screen and name on the same damn game. (It's "Umihara Kawase Shun Second Edition".)

jiji said:
Simple 1500 Series: The Cameraman, aka Photo Boy. It's a port of a PC Engine game, and is a platformer mixed with something like Pokemon Snap.
Yes! Although I don't think I'd ever label it a platformer. Still awesome though.

There's also Gekisha Boy 2 ("Photo Boy 2", I guess. "Polaroid Pete" in the almost sadistically rare PAL version.) for PS2, which includes polygons but has the same (great) 2D gameplay. This one has funny game/movie parodies in it too. I know we're talking PSX here, but still. The game needs some pimpin'.

Ar_

Of course, SILHOUETTE MIRAGE.

Featuring:

DEEP CHARACTERS:

silhouet_screen004.jpg

TERRIFING ENEMYES:

silhouet_screen007.jpg

POWERFUL TOOLS OF DEATH:

silhouet_screen013.jpg

HEART MELTING DRAMA:

silhouet_screen017.jpg

sm_19.jpg

How can you go wrong??

PS: Jokes aside, is a funny platform/shooter fora few hours. Also multiple endings, Ikaruga-like color switching, Treasure brand and Working Design humor... ahem... for those who consider it a good thing.

Top Bottom