• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Yeah, I just got that, too. I wonder what kind of notifications it'll show.

I noticed Facebook started to give new sounds and put stuff in Notification Center on OS X. At first I thought it might have been some sneaky web-side update or something, but it looks like it might actually be something they added in a recent Chrome update.

Guri

I noticed Facebook started to give new sounds and put stuff in Notification Center on OS X. At first I thought it might have been some sneaky web-side update or something, but it looks like it might actually be something they added in a recent Chrome update.

Facebook's notification sounds can disabled on the account settings.

Something really fucked up just happened.

I installed IE10 with the Windows Update and after rebooting the PC chrome is missing all my extensions...

It also had the Bookmark bar hidden like it was the first time running, but the bookmarks were still there.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Does the spell check thing not work for anyone else? I get the red underline but don't get any suggestions? Is it a setting?

There is an option in the "Show advanced settings" section of the "Settings" panel called "Use a web service to help resolve spelling errors"

It should be ticked. Even if it's not you should be getting suggestions from the bundled dictionary.

there's an open issue on crbug that sounds similar.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=170656

It looks like the dictionary file hasn't been updated for some people. Comment #10 has a possible solution

Something really fucked up just happened.

I installed IE10 with the Windows Update and after rebooting the PC chrome is missing all my extensions...

It also had the Bookmark bar hidden like it was the first time running, but the bookmarks were still there.

Same happened to me. Luckily the only thing that IE fucked up was the extensions, which took about 2 minutes to reinstall. But still a pain in the ass.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
26 deleted all my saved password and won't offer to save any new ones.

deleted my profile and restored it from sync and they're all gone.

not sure what else is wrong but that was the first thing I noticed.

isoquant

I'm kind of annoyed they changed the position of the "Search Google for..." button that appears when you right-click selected text.

I keep hitting "Print" now instead. Is there any way I can change the order of buttons on the right-click menu?

Tagg9

I have a weird issue where the text is all messed up on certain websites. I've tried googling it to no avail. I changed the encoding setting, default serif font, etc.

Has anyone seen this before? The same pages load fine in IE/Firefox.

NDAqRsv.png

z54Jv6I.png

HoodWinked

ugh.... why do they keep adding unnecessary crap to chrome.

i keep accidentally printing now since they put it directly in the right click popup menu.

I just had to change the address bar search to bing because Google isn't working. I tried switching to google.com because google.nl isn't working, but it continues using google.nl, which for some reason isn't working for me. It says it's only down for me so I'm confused. But... yeah, Bing.

Edit: Woah Bing is... terrible.

Jubern

Had kind of the same problem a few months ago. Google and all its sites would stop working partially or completely at certain hours... But only with Chrome :/ Didn't really want to, but switched to FF as I didn't found a solution

MrHicks

Banned
chrome toolbox extension BY GOOGLE doesn't work for along time now
gg google

scroll over tabs to twitch
double click to close etc

fucks sake

jwk94

So there was a Canary build that had this thing called Compact Navigation, it was amazing. I remember going through the trouble of switching from a stable build to Canary just for that feature. A few releases later, it was gone. It's like it never existed. Is there a way I can get that back? Here's a video of it in action.

mike23

Highlight -> Right Click is the best way to search Google for something quickly.

Except Google just fucked this up.

The new update puts the Print menu item as the second in the list. I've been hitting print instead of Search all day. Idiots.

edit: Complained too quick. Didn't see other people complaining too.

Baconbitz

Banned
Chrome has a weird bug. Won't let me maximize in certain situations. If I open it up on the page where it says recently closed tabs and maximize from there it will work. If I try to De-maxamize then Re-Maxamize it won't work. I'm on OSX btw.

edit: To be clear i actually mean "full screen". When i click on the two arrows nothing happens.

Google Now spotted in Chrome Canary channel for Windows

The Next Web has unearthed more evidence that Google's Android assistant is coming to its browser soon. Source code for the latest Chromium build for Windows (in Google's Canary channel) shows that the backbone for Now has been integrated into the browser. Google Now still doesn't work in the browser as it won't resolve Google Now server, URL but it shows that Now's browser release is imminent.

The newest Chromium version in the Canary channel shows richer notifications that could act as a heads-up display for Google Now's card-like notifications. There are also options to manage notification permissions, much like you would see on the Android OS.

Chrome keeps doing a weird thing where it blocks google sites because of bad sockets or something. I flush the sockets and it's fine. Really annoying.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
So ever since I upgrade to 26 it's crashed almost every time I've shut it down and I'm constantly losing data like bookmarks, passwords etc.

I have no idea what's wrong, it just seems that when I close the browser and then reopen it Chrome will says something about it failed to restore the session and some data is lost.

any ideas? I tried reinstalling it a couple of times and deleted all my profile data in case there was some conflict there but it's still doing it.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

reading the wiki -> http://www.chromium.org/blink

Vendor Prefixes

Historically, browsers have relied on vendor prefixes (e.g., -webkit-feature) to ship experimental features to web developers. This approach can be harmful to compatibility because web content comes to rely upon these vendor-prefixed names. Going forward, instead of enabling a feature by default with a vendor prefix, we will instead keep the (unprefixed) feature behind the “enable experimental web platform features” flag in about:flags until the feature is ready to be enabled by default. Mozilla has already embarked on a similar policy.

that's a great change. I've never liked vendor prefixes so hopefully this stops WebKit becoming IE6.

Somnid

A little unfortunate, if only because WebKit's domination meant increasing standardization for at least the non-JS part of web rendering :p

It was getting better anyway now that we have real agreed on standards. The chances of having issues between the latest of Webkit, Gecko and Trident are almost non-existent. Now it's mainly feature support.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ooooh, that makes this a lot more interesting. On the desktop side it seems like WebKit just became Blink overnight, lol. Only one left using vanilla Webkit will be Safari (which is more of a factor in things than Opera has ever been, but still.)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Ooooh, that makes this a lot more interesting. On the desktop side it seems like WebKit just became Blink overnight, lol. Only one left using vanilla Webkit will be Safari (which is more of a factor in things than Opera has ever been, but still.)

There are other smaller webkit browsers out there. I do wonder what this does for the project as a whole though as I'm not sure how much effort people will put into Webkit now.

Also I was wondering about Opera, but this all makes sense now. They were extremely tight lipped on the new Opera coming for desktops, and this is obviously why. Also rumor has it new desktop Opera beta coming this month. Wonder if that'll be based on early Blink or not? Also I wonder how soon this will pop up into Chromium.

I find it interesting that both Mozilla and Google announced totally new rendering engines on the same day for obviously almost the exact same stated reasons.

Derrick01

Banned
Wtf did chrome update again? I just noticed the right click menu looks different.

Follow up question, is there a way to turn off auto update or at least have it tell me there's an update? I'm tired of using chrome and having shit just change on me out of the blue.

Derrick01

Banned
I actually like the bigger padding on the menus. Glad they put it back on beta 27.

Well I don't really hate it, it's just I get kinda jumpy when things change or act weird on my PC and Chrome never tells me it updated so I have no idea if something's not working right or just changed.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
the dead zone above the first option is so freaking annoying.

right-click > open link in new t... nope, missed it.

Top Bottom