• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

kaskade

Chrome is by far my favorite browser but the latest release is crashing like crazy. Switching to Safari for now.

Ok so it's not just me. Are you on OS X or windows? My windows version seems to be working perfectly fine but it will crash multiple times a day on my Macbook.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Google's bundling flash with chrome, there's no reason they won't do it on mobile since their chasing parity across all versions.
You don't seem to get it. Adobe is not developing it anymore. Adobe owns Flash. Adobe has cancelled the mobile version. Adobe will not make anymore. It won't be back on mobile. Google has nothing to do with Flash development.

kehs

Banned
You don't seem to get it. Adobe is not developing it anymore. Adobe owns Flash. Adobe has cancelled the mobile version. Adobe will not make anymore. It won't be back on mobile. Google has nothing to do with Flash development.

Adobe didn't stop development on flash dude, they just stopped releasing the mobile version.

Google pulls flash code to embed it in chrome, they can do the same for android chrome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Flash is never coming to Chrome Android dude. I bet you $5 that Chrome Web Store apps will come to Chrome Android before Flash ever does.

Leucrota

I currently have an odd problem which has only affected me since C25 was released.

On certain sites, theverge.com and giantbomb.com in particular, part of the site will load, then the entire Chrome browser will just hang and be unresponsive from 20 to 60 seconds. When it does become responsive, everything will work fine.

Anyone have anything similar happening to them?

Edit: I disabled all my extensions and it still happens.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Adobe didn't stop development on flash dude, they just stopped releasing the mobile version.

Google pulls flash code to embed it in chrome, they can do the same for android chrome.

Are you saying they will just put an unoptimized, desktop flash on the mobile browser? Or that they will just package the older, un-updated version of mobile flash?

turnbuckle

I'm now having an issue with Chrome that I'm only able to solve by restarting my computer and it's driving me nuts.

I'm at work and I have to load and print dozens of different .pdfs a day from our database. So far today I've had to restart my computer twice and I'm about to do it again.

The issue: When a pdf opens up in chrome and I attempt to print it, it works. It works for maybe the first 6-7 pdfs I open. After that it won't print at all unless I save the document to my desktop and print from there. Every time I restart my computer the issue is temporarily resolved, but without fail my computer will refuse to print the .pdfs in chrome again after awhile.

The printer icon will show up in my taskbar and it will say (0) documents pending every time I attempt to print.

Any ideas? I'm stumped

Leucrota

I'm now having an issue with Chrome that I'm only able to solve by restarting my computer and it's driving me nuts.

I'm at work and I have to load and print dozens of different .pdfs a day from our database. So far today I've had to restart my computer twice and I'm about to do it again.

The issue: When a pdf opens up in chrome and I attempt to print it, it works. It works for maybe the first 6-7 pdfs I open. After that it won't print at all unless I save the document to my desktop and print from there. Every time I restart my computer the issue is temporarily resolved, but without fail my computer will refuse to print the .pdfs in chrome again after awhile.

The printer icon will show up in my taskbar and it will say (0) documents pending every time I attempt to print.

Any ideas? I'm stumped

If nothing else works, this extension opens doc/PDF files in Google Docs and you can print them from there.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/docs-pdfpowerpoint-viewer/nnbmlagghjjcbdhgmkedmbmedengocbn

turnbuckle

If nothing else works, this extension opens doc/PDF files in Google Docs and you can print them from there.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/docs-pdfpowerpoint-viewer/nnbmlagghjjcbdhgmkedmbmedengocbn

Thanks, gonna try it out now :)

Sorry, we were unable to find the document at the original source. Verify that the document still exists.
You can also try to download the original document by clicking here.

lol, looks like I'm SOL. I'll go ahead and save each one to my desktop and print from there for now. Takes a lot longer than it should, but better than restarting every hour :(
Thanks for the recommendation though!

------

Hmm, weird, when I clicked on the "here" button it opened up the .pdf in chrome. I figured I'd go ahead and try to print it and voila it worked. This makes no sense to me but it's a compromise I can deal with :p

Leucrota

Thanks, gonna try it out now :)

lol, looks like I'm SOL. I'll go ahead and save each one to my desktop and print from there for now. Takes a lot longer than it should, but better than restarting every hour :(
Thanks for the recommendation though!

------

Hmm, weird, when I clicked on the "here" button it opened up the .pdf in chrome. I figured I'd go ahead and try to print it and voila it worked. This makes no sense to me but it's a compromise I can deal with :p

If the files are in your database, then why are they being opened in Chrome?

turnbuckle

If the files are in your database, then why are they being opened in Chrome?

Man, that's a long and painfully irritating story. :p

Short version: We access our database through a web browser. I deal with paper files that are constantly updated every year. There was a movement from the owner to scan all of those paper files into the database and then get rid of the paper which none of us were in favor of. We're now running into issues that most of us foresaw by getting rid of the paper files and I'm going back through and reprinting them.

I'm generally all for a paperless world, but reading through legal descriptions and making annotations while keeping a file together year-over-year is just easier with paper. Scan it for archival and quick access, but reading through it with a pencil/pen and paper works much better.

Some of the issues wouldn't be as bad if there were more competency in certain departments, but I'm powerless to change that. So I'm going through this nightmare one file at a time. Once I'm done it'll be all good, but the weird printing issue with Chrome has been getting in the way of progress.

That's the very short version :p

Leucrota

Man, that's a long and painfully irritating story. :p

Short version: We access our database through a web browser. I deal with paper files that are constantly updated every year. There was a movement from the owner to scan all of those paper files into the database and then get rid of the paper which none of us were in favor of. We're now running into issues that most of us foresaw by getting rid of the paper files and I'm going back through and reprinting them.

I'm generally all for a paperless world, but reading through legal descriptions and making annotations while keeping a file together year-over-year is just easier with paper. Scan it for archival and quick access, but reading through it with a pencil/pen and paper works much better.

Some of the issues wouldn't be as bad if there were more competency in certain departments, but I'm powerless to change that. So I'm going through this nightmare one file at a time. Once I'm done it'll be all good, but the weird printing issue with Chrome has been getting in the way of progress.

That's the very short version :p

Just save all the file to the computer and open them up using the viewer you have installed there. Or, use Incognito Mode to access the database and open the PDFs in Chrome. Maybe some information is being saved and not deleted and Incognito mode won't save this information?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

I didn't say that! I said they stopped development on the mobile version.

There are huge differences in processor architecture between a desktop or laptop and a tablet or phone. The mobile version needs to be totally redone for battery lightness but Adobe decided instead to just discontinue it due to the rising H.264 usage. It's not as easy as just "pulling Flash into Android" the plugin needs to be coded and compiled for those devices. And it is not going to be.

GulAtiCa

I don't know what it is, but for some reason the Chrome menus and right click menus on my laptop for Chrome have odd large padding. No idea what triggered that, though was after a system update.

kehs

Banned
I didn't say that! I said they stopped development on the mobile version.

There are huge differences in processor architecture between a desktop or laptop and a tablet or phone. The mobile version needs to be totally redone for battery lightness but Adobe decided instead to just discontinue it due to the rising H.264 usage. It's not as easy as just "pulling Flash into Android" the plugin needs to be coded and compiled for those devices. And it is not going to be.

So you're saying that Google hasn't worked on flash for arm for chrome?

Jzero

I don't know what it is, but for some reason the Chrome menus and right click menus on my laptop for Chrome have odd large padding. No idea what triggered that, though was after a system update.
You are either on Chrome Beta or using Chrome OS.

GulAtiCa

It's the new UI. Not a bug.

Well... That's disappointing... I enjoyed it the other way, was very easy to right click and open something in new tab in a fast manor. Took me a little bit to figure out why it wasn't working anymore. lol

I still don't get why they took away the ability to personalize our blank home screen.

Also, not sure why, but at same time now one of my screens is all sluggish with chrome and 2+ tabs open when I try to use it. My main screen and other screen to my left is fine and normal mouse speed. Firefox with 3 tabs doesn't slow down.

Kinda starting to think I might move back to Firefox or Opera..

Baconbitz

Banned
Is there an extension where I can just right click and tweet it? I'd like to potentially also be able to add something to the tweet too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
You've devolved to the point I can't tell whether you're trolling or serious. Poe's Law bitches.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Safari is so nice on OS X that I'd actually be tempted to switch from Chrome if A) my iCloud bookmark syncing hadn't broken beyond repair (The corruption is on the Cloud, not my computer or iOS device) during the iOS5 beta trial and B) it had all the same extensions I use. And I mean all of them.

Edit: Oh boy. Safari bookmarks are working again. As much as I love Chrome, their chances of me keeping it forever are getting thinner. Though switching would make my already never used Cr-48 even less used.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What's wrong with Chrome? gifs were buggy about a year ago but it's all fixed now.

They do work again (although they were only fixed very recently unless you were on the beta channel), but daaaaaaamn, do they bring the browser to a halt. On pages with a lot of GIFs here on GAF Chrome is awful to use.

Joe Lee

They do work again (although they were only fixed very recently unless you were on the beta channel), but daaaaaaamn, do they bring the browser to a halt. On pages with a lot of GIFs here on GAF Chrome is awful to use.

That's really the main thing I dislike about Chrome. I mean, I love the generally good speed of the browser but shit sucks with a ton of gifs.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I just realized I can't dump Chrome. It has super awesome tab restoration and reopening of tabs that preserves the tabs history as well as opening tabs from other devices that also preserves the entire history of the tab.

Chrome 4 lyfe I guess!

Sagitario

I just realized I can't dump Chrome. It has super awesome tab restoration and reopening of tabs that preserves the tabs history as well as opening tabs from other devices that also preserves the entire history of the tab.

Chrome 4 lyfe I guess!

That's also on Firefox (with many more options using Save Session and Tab Manager).

kehs

Banned
Advanced > Content Settings > Images, you can also do it on a per site basis by right clicking the page icon next to the omnibox

Hmm, thanks, though that's pretty annoying. Was hoping for an easier way for individual sessions with less clickery.

Top Bottom