• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

elektrixx

Banned
Fucking hell. I just wrote a lengthy post about Windows 8.1 on my phone. I switched tabs for a minute and when I returned the reply page reloaded, losing my text.

Jzero

FML i could see the CSS Code of every site before it loads completely. This beta sucks.

Edit: Fuck it, switched to Cyberfox until they fix that buggy piece of shit.

Is Waterfox even being updated anymore? Their site says it's still based on FF18.
I meant Cyberfox.

FML i could see the CSS Code of every site before it loads completely. This beta sucks.

Edit: Fuck it, switched to Waterfox until they fix that buggy piece of shit.

Is Waterfox even being updated anymore? Their site says it's still based on FF18.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Google schedules two events for mobile Chrome on June 7 and 13

Apps and extensions incoming.
AU7Amsc.gif
Don't get your hopes up.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Google schedules two events for mobile Chrome on June 7 and 13

Apps and extensions incoming.
AU7Amsc.gif
Don't get your hopes up.
Would be nice if it was an announcement that Apple was going to allow custom web views on iOS and that Chrome for iOS would be able to utilize their own engine finally.

Again, it would be nice. But it won't be.

I'd love extensions on the iOS app. They would be limited but they'd be there. But mainly I'd love for them to implement a "save to Google Drive" feature that would let you save files from the internet into your drive directly. Either have it be a server side implementation where the server takes care of it directly, or it downloads to the device then uploads to GD itself, but either way I can't believe this hasn't been implemented at all. Hell, iCab has a "Save to DropBox" feature.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't think Apple would allow a browser to have extensions even if it were technically possible.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
It would basically be an app store. I'm pretty sure Apple is smart enough to know Google would try to position it as a trojan horse for their ecosystem

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I think it's also something about not being allowed to execute external code or something. Chrome would basically be downloading and running code from what could be anywhere, even if it's their own store sometimes people sneak malware in there.

iCab got around it by including all its available extensions in the app itself. There weren't a lot, but there were some useful apps.

I don't even want extensions that much. All I want is Save to Google Drive. It's weird that it doesn't exist yet. Even if it's only allowed for small files or something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was just wondering, is it me, or is it impossible to use the keyboard to add a bookmark to a specific folder now?

It defaults to the last folder added and I can't tab to any of the options to change the folder.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I was just wondering, is it me, or is it impossible to use the keyboard to add a bookmark to a specific folder now?

It defaults to the last folder added and I can't tab to any of the options to change the folder.

Ctrl+Shift+D, can you use the arrows?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So the latest version of Chrome on iOS has the same voice search that the Google app has. It's awesome. All they need to do is implement Google Now into it and I'll delete the Google app off my devices.

In fact, I know exactly where they can put the Now functionality and other miscellaneous Google app features.

Right here on this useless page...
I don't use this on my computer. I don't use this on iOS. I don't use this at all. It's useless to me. Especially since I can't replace the thumbnails with links of my own. It's not accurate for me and shows pages I would never want to be presented with. And 4 out of those 6 links pictured above are ones I've rarely ever been to so I don't know where it's getting this stupid information from. (The Google page above goes to their account login landing page. A page no one ever needs to visit directly. So why is it there? And I've been to Roku's website maybe 5 times total.) So get rid of it. Give me something useful there. Google Now.

But I know some people probably use it so fine. If not there, put it where the Google logo is. Make that tappable. Just put Now in the Chrome app and I can free up a space on my homescreen.

I've been having an issue with EDITING posts recently on GAF with Chrome.

It edits it, but it gets stuck at LOADING so I have to refresh. Anyone else having this issue? Or is it just me? Thanks!

Quick

Banned
I've been having an issue with EDITING posts recently on GAF with Chrome.

It edits it, but it gets stuck at LOADING so I have to refresh. Anyone else having this issue? Or is it just me? Thanks!

Yep, plenty of us are having that issue. There's actually a thread on it.

Though, your post does actually edit, even though the edit box gets stuck. Once you press save and you see it loading, you could just refresh the page again to see the edit.

Yep, plenty of us are having that issue. There's actually a thread on it.

Though, your post does actually edit, even though the edit box gets stuck. Once you press save and you see it loading, you could just refresh the page again to see the edit.

Yea I figured that. Thanks! I'm glad it's not just me. :D

GutsOfThor

Can someone help? I have not been able to load gaf on chrome for a while but it works fine on firefox. I get a 400 Bad Request message every time I go the site.

Quentyn

They updated, and now I can't find last closed tabs option. :(

That is because of the new new tab page. Go to "chrome://flags/", search for Enable Instant Extended API and set it to Disabled. That should bring back the old new tab page with the recently closed tabs menu.

Hopefully I can explain my question properly.

One of the sites I spend the most time at uses envolve for chat. I often tab it to keep up with the others chatting. When someone writes "New message" pops up in the tab and I know the click over.

The problem: On my laptop clicking the tab causes the message to go away and just list the site name again. If I do that with my desktop's chrome however, new message will freeze in the tab until I refresh. How do I fix this?

Anyone else having problems with refreshing pages?

If I am in a thread and hit Refresh, it doesn't load the new version of the web page with the new replies unless I specifically click on a link to go back to the page (like "last page -> next page, or click the thread in the forumdisplay page).

Anyone else having trouble downloading youtube vids that were recently uploaded? Not old vids, just anything new.

N0MVERK.png

Mind linking to a video that does that for you?

Thin text workaround I came across for Windows

html, body {
-webkit-font-smoothing: subpixel-antialiased !important;
text-shadow: 0px 0px 0px !important;
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0.01px !important;
}

Place in
C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\User StyleSheets\Custom.css

Works in Iron/Chromium

Flash

I know "Chrome starting to suck" is beginning to become a common opinion, and I'm starting to agree. Why did Google recently remove the search bar in the Google website when you're using Chrome? I'm assuming it's only a Chrome "feature" since it would be inane to remove it on other browsers that don't have the omnibox. Google's trying to be TOO minimalist with their website and it's frustrating sometimes. I also don't like the new forced Google website on the New Tab, how do I get my recently closed tabs back?

this was so damn annoying. the reason being a single click on the omnibox would highlight the entire string... whereas clicking in the search box would place the cursor right where you want it. This makes it easier to add something at the end of what I was searching (to better refine it or whatever). I deleted by entire search time so many times because of this.

I wouldn't mind it and I get what they were doing, but the whole highlighting the entire term was too much.

Luckily seems the search bar is back so....hurray for now?

Just installed the latest v28 beta. GIFs handle much better but it's still not perfect. On pages full of GIFs like the one linked above, v28 is still nowhere near as smooth as Firefox is. The GIFs don't freeze anymore, but they also stay paused until the page returns to them. Also, the pages still don't scroll smoothly at all and the page stutters a lot. An improvement, but still kind of a mess. I'll stick to Firefox.

nataku

Anyone else have an issue with the flash ads on GAF and other sites? They're extremely delayed in loading, and eventually the entire tab becomes really unresponsive after visiting a few threads. I'll try to scroll down but it'll take a second before the page moves. If I close the tab and re-open it the issue is fixed for a bit, but eventually repeats.

cbox

Chrome and youtube stopped functioning again... I can't add videos to favs or anything. It's happened before and I fixed it, but I forgot what I did. Anyone have any ideas? Firefox is looking better every day...

AND fixed, extension caused some problems grrr.

Code_Link

Is something wrong with Chrome today? I've been getting these messages when I try to access some websites like Twitter, Facebook and even Google sites:

The site's security certificate is not trusted!
You attempted to reach www.google.com, but the server presented a certificate issued by an entity that is not trusted by your computer's operating system. This may mean that the server has generated its own security credentials, which Chrome cannot rely on for identity information, or an attacker may be trying to intercept your communications.
You cannot proceed because the website operator has requested heightened security for this domain.

WTF?!?!?!?

Number45

Something is trying to act as the server that isn't google.com - be wary. Have you installed anything recently that might be playing "man in the middle"? OpenDNS can do something like that.

saelz8

Weird, my Chrome updated to 28 on Stable Channel.

That ever happen to anyone else? I happened to have reformated, reinstalled Chrome and now I'm back on 27. I was using 28 for weeks, thinking it was a stable release.

Weird, my Chrome updated to 28 on Stable Channel.

That ever happen to anyone else? I happened to have reformated, reinstalled Chrome and now I'm back on 27. I was using 28 for weeks, thinking it was a stable release.

It happened to me when I installed the v28 beta and then downgraded. Stable channel thought it was on v28. I had to completely uninstall and reinstall to get it to think it was v27.

saelz8

Ok, Chrome is officially 28 on Stable.

Stop playing with my heart, Google.

Notifications in Tweetdeck are still broken.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ok, Chrome is officially 28 on Stable.

Stop playing with my heart, Google.

Notifications in Tweetdeck are still broken.

I imagine they removed support for HTML Notifications without telling anyone, to try and get people to use their new Rich Notifications. Chrome OS has never supported HTML Notifications as far as I can tell.

I had to laugh at the official Chrome blog's newest post:

Richer notifications now available to all Chrome users

Mac is coming soon.

Lawl. No mention of Linux either.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
That means NeoGAF Messages is broken now too, I'll have to include it in NeoGAF++ ASAP.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yup:

With the release of the M28 developer channel of Chrome, we are officially deprecating HTML-based notifications for Chrome Extensions in favor of the new Rich Notifications Chrome API.

...As the API is enabled on each platform, the existing HTML Notifications API will be removed for that platform.

So Linux and Mac might still have support for HTML notifications but probably not for long.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I imagine they removed support for HTML Notifications without telling anyone, to try and get people to use their new Rich Notifications. Chrome OS has never supported HTML Notifications as far as I can tell.
I wonder where they'll go in OS X though. Or Linux. Maybe the menubar? Or inside the app itself? That's really the biggest problem with implementing them. On Windows and ChromeOS they go in the taskbar but OS X doesn't have a taskbar and I wouldn't want it in my Dock. (Docklings were a horrible idea back in 10.0 and I'm glad they died with 10.2 and were replaced with menubar icons.) They can't integrate into the Notification Center easily since they're "richer" looking than OS X allows. Even more than Growl notifications too. I guess the menubar really. But then you wouldn't be able to see it anyway when in fullscreen. (I really wish they'd put in an option to always keep the menubar visible in fullscreen so I could see that information without it being hidden.)

Edit: Not that I ever see Chrome notifications anyway. I don't keep FaceBook open all the time and Twitter doesn't use than as far as I can tell, plus I am on OS X which means I get Twitter/FaceBook notifications on my OS X computer without a browser being open anyway not to mention my iPhone and iPad at the same time. So unless they can implement a way for Chrome to keep certain sites in the background (Without requiring a tab) so I can get notifications without needing the site to be open or preferably even the browser itself. Then I doubt I'll ever see these things.

Top Bottom