• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Looks like it's in the Menu Bar on OS X:

chrome-notification-centre-on-osx.jpg

settings.jpg

And for a bonus, on Linux (Ubuntu/Unity):

chrome-notif.jpg

I imagine in Gnome Shell it'll go where the background extension icons go (the Message Tray, accessible with Super+M.)

xptoxyz

So how do you get the notification center tray icon in the tray or is there any other way to manage them? Doesn't seem I'm getting any, at least where tested.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Looks like it's in the Menu Bar on OS X:

chrome-notification-centre-on-osx.jpg
Pretty cool. I would be all in if they had a way to have a background app check for these notifications. As long as I don't have to keep each site open in a tab I'll be happy with it. Looks really neat. I just hope they also combine it with OS X's Notification Center as well so they show up there too in simplified form. I am glad you can disable them on a per-site basis too.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Am I supposed to see anything inside of windows for the notification thingie?

Yeah l'm on stable.

You should be seeing a little chat-like bubble icon in the system tray:

blog_post_pic.png

(left: Chrome OS, right: Windows 7)

Pretty cool. I would be all in if they had a way to have a background app check for these notifications. As long as I don't have to keep each site open in a tab I'll be happy with it. Looks really neat. I just hope they also combine it with OS X's Notification Center as well so they show up there too in simplified form. I am glad you can disable them on a per-site basis too.

Packaged apps and extensions can run in the background and ping you without being open in a tab (I have several installed that already do this.)

kehs

Banned
Yeah, turns out I set it to hidden a long time ago.

I'm curious as to how it deals with multiple windows signed into different accounts?

xptoxyz

I thought it was always there as to manage its settings but it only shows up when a notification comes through and those weren't set up correctly.

kehs

Banned
Well there's 3 settings. I think if you hit "show icon and notifications" it'll be persistent, but you gotta wait until you get a notification for it to pop back up if it was hidden before.

edit: Nope, goes away as soon as the notification goes away. =/

xptoxyz

Really? It's ever present for me I think.

It seems to go away as soon as you resolve all the issues the notification is pointing to. I just kept killing an extension to test it out. It went away when I reloaded the extension.

What I need to know now, is what places support it already and how to prompt them to let me authorize them.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ah, it does seem to go away. Never cleared all my notifications on Windows before haha.

Updated to 28 and I get the checkered pattern when I scroll too quickly on my scroll wheel. Any way to fix that?

Nope. It's how Chrome handles memory now.

Updated to 28 and I get the checkered pattern when I scroll too quickly on my scroll wheel. Any way to fix that?

Ah, it does seem to go away. Never cleared all my notifications on Windows before haha.

Nope. It's how Chrome handles memory now.

I'm almost certain there's a setting in chrome://flags that disables it. I just tested in 29 and didn't experience the checkered pattern when scrolling too quickly (I did before disabling in 27.xx).

jred2k

Ugh, Chrome is starting to become nearly unusable for me. For the past week or two I've been getting constant DNS errors on some websites and broken links for pictures.

I have a feeling its related to an extension I have installed that I use to watch Netflix US from Canada, but I've had it for months and the issues have only started recently. Does anybody have any troubleshooting tips? I'm about to go back to Firefox because this is getting frequent and annoying.

kehs

Banned
This is literally the first time I've seen checkerboarding on this computer at work.

Total bummer, between Opera 15 being shitty, and Chrome flailing about, I might just have to go back to Opera 12. =/

Quentyn

This is literally the first time I've seen checkerboarding on this computer at work.

Total bummer, between Opera 15 being shitty, and Chrome flailing about, I might just have to go back to Opera 12. =/

Try disabling Threaded compositing in chrome://flags, that should remove the checkerboarding.

Oh joy, Chrome updated and now the disable menu style command no longer works, leaving me with this goddamn right click menu and ridiculous spacing on bookmarks. Anyone know of another fix? If not, I think I'm gonna bail back to Firefox. Some of Googles decisions with Chrome recently have been ludicrous.

ScOULaris

I gave 28 a try the other day, and I must say that Chrome for Android has improved a lot since I last tried it. I'm still not willing to switch over from the AOSP browser, though. Quick Controls are just way too convenient.

I find it strange that there's no way to get to your history through the Chrome UI on Android. The only way to see it is to type in the history URL into the address bar. Just seems strange to me that they'd leave that out.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2013/07/stable-channel-update-for-chrome-os.html

All Chrome OS devices have been updated to Chrome 28.

• New “immersive” mode - hit the fullscreen button to hide the toolbar and shelf and until you hover at the top for a more immersive browsing experience.
  • Numerous crash fixes and performance improvements.
  • Speed improvements for the Files app, along with support for files that are Shared with me and Recent on Google Drive.
  • Monitor Rotation and Scaling - you can scale your UI smaller and rotate the screen on all Chromebooks.
  • Notification pop-up message appears when screenshots are taken. Clicking on the notification will bring you right to the screenshot.
  • Replaced the Japanese IME with a NaCl extension version downloads a better language model upon actual usage.
  • Added transliteration IMEs for Indic languages from Google Input Tools.
  • Touch link highlighting on Chromebook Pixel - we now provide feedback on which link you click or button you press.
  • Updated Chrome Office Viewer (Beta) extension
  • Pepper Flash updated to 11.8.800.94
Sounds totes awesome.
p0QHO.gif

SimleuqiR

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/2013/07/stable-channel-update-for-chrome-os.html

All Chrome OS devices have been updated to Chrome 28.

• New “immersive” mode - hit the fullscreen button to hide the toolbar and shelf and until you hover at the top for a more immersive browsing experience.
  • Numerous crash fixes and performance improvements.
  • Speed improvements for the Files app, along with support for files that are Shared with me and Recent on Google Drive.
  • Monitor Rotation and Scaling - you can scale your UI smaller and rotate the screen on all Chromebooks.
  • Notification pop-up message appears when screenshots are taken. Clicking on the notification will bring you right to the screenshot.
  • Replaced the Japanese IME with a NaCl extension version downloads a better language model upon actual usage.
  • Added transliteration IMEs for Indic languages from Google Input Tools.
  • Touch link highlighting on Chromebook Pixel - we now provide feedback on which link you click or button you press.
  • Updated Chrome Office Viewer (Beta) extension
  • Pepper Flash updated to 11.8.800.94
Sounds totes awesome.
p0QHO.gif

Hey, did you read about Chrome Books being the fastest growing part of the PC market?

http://9to5google.com/2013/07/10/ch...rket-now-up-to-a-quarter-of-all-laptops-sold/

Rookje

The white context menu is back again. How do I disable it? The -–disable-new-menu-style doesn't seem to work anymore.

Megasoum

Banned
Oh joy, Chrome updated and now the disable menu style command no longer works, leaving me with this goddamn right click menu and ridiculous spacing on bookmarks. Anyone know of another fix? If not, I think I'm gonna bail back to Firefox. Some of Googles decisions with Chrome recently have been ludicrous.

The white context menu is back again. How do I disable it? The -–disable-new-menu-style doesn't seem to work anymore.

Yup I came here to say that too... This is so stupid and annoying. I am more and more leaning toward Firefox...what the hell Google?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Makes sense considering OS X doesn't have any touch support built into the OS as far as I'm aware and doesn't have any hardware with touch input that it launches on.
Still no excuse. Not all PCs or even Chromebooks have touch screens. There's no reason at all for them to not detect this feature (pretty sure it's easy for a program to query the OS and find out if it currently has a touch display) and use standard OS level menu controls if no touchscreen is detected. No excuse.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
TBH I don't think it feels out of whack on non-touch Chromebooks, it feels native to Chrome OS to me.
wtzgU.gif

On Windows though, agreed, it's a little lame.

RdN

Guys, I can't find the notification center anywhere.

I'm already on Chrome 28, but nothing. Even checked the Windows 8 notification center, and there's nothing related to Chrome in there.

Salvadora

Hey guys, I appear to be having a problem with Chrome at the moment. Within the past two days I keep getting grey and white boxes when I scroll down web pages. It looks exactly like this:
*shamelessly stolen from the only other person I could find with this issue :p*

I can't find much about it and was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas on how to fix it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Guys, I can't find the notification center anywhere.

I'm already on Chrome 28, but nothing. Even checked the Windows 8 notification center, and there's nothing related to Chrome in there.

Only shows up when you get a notification.

Hey guys, I appear to be having a problem with Chrome at the moment. Within the past two days I keep getting grey and white boxes when I scroll down web pages. It looks exactly like this:
*shamelessly stolen from the only other person I could find with this issue :p*

I can't find much about it and was wondering if any of you guys had any ideas on how to fix it.

Try disabling Threaded compositing in chrome://flags, that should remove the checkerboarding.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Google+'s "Mr. Jingle" is going to replace the generic "messages" icon for the Chrome notification center:

xuUe5io.png

Receiving emails on Gmail count as a notification, right? 'Cause I've received several emails in the last days and nothing popped up. :(

You have to have the Gmail tab open and the Desktop Notifications setting enabled. Alternatively, you can use an extension such as Checker Plus for Gmail so you don't need to keep the tab open.

Quick

Banned
Is anybody using YouTube Options? Either the latest update, or YouTube broke it. I'd have to refresh the page to get it working again.

Jørdan

Oh joy, Chrome updated and now the disable menu style command no longer works

Yup I came here to say that too... This is so stupid and annoying. I am more and more leaning toward Firefox...what the hell Google?

Replace --diable-new-menu-style with --force-fieldtrials="NewMenuStyle/Compact2/" for slightly reduced padding, still not how it was so after trying other Chromium browsers I've switched to Firefox.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Hmmm I've had a lot of crashes recently. Only substantial change in my usage is more tabs open. On Version 28.0.1500.72 m Advice on how to proceed?

RedSwirl

I've had a shitload of crashes recently, and there's a few other things wrong with Chrome as of recent:

--It crashes at least once or twice a day. And it's not always crashing the same way. Sometimes I'll get the "whoah! Google Chrome has crashed!" Other times I'll get the standard Windows "Google Chrome has stopped working." message. And other times it'll just hang up, forcing me to exit.

--Most of the time right after I start up Chrome, Google search and all other Google apps won't work for a minute or so. I'll just get a "webpage not available" message.

I've tried restarting my whole Chrome profile and re-installing Chrome. Neither has changed anything at all.

In Chrome 28 on OS X, every single time I click a link on NeoGAF, and maybe other sites, the Chrome window disappears for a second while loading.

Nice job, Google.

Top Bottom