• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

TxdoHawk

I've had this issue where leaving Chrome open eventually slows the address bar to a crawl, as in I'll start typing and in the address bar the letters will come in one at a time, with distinct pauses in-between. Restarting Chrome fixes the problem for awhile, but only temporarily. Pretty annoying.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
In Chrome 28 on OS X, every single time I click a link on NeoGAF, and maybe other sites, the Chrome window disappears for a second while loading.

Nice job, Google.
I've had that happen on certain tabs. But since I'm in OS X in Fullscreen the page disappears and shows the tab behind it temporarily for about a fraction of a second. I'm sure it's memory related. And probably to do with their switch to their new rendering engine.

Fatalah

I have a bad case of the checkerboard pattern bug. Anyone else experiencing this in the last week or two?

It happens when scrolling down a page.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I have a bad case of the checkerboard pattern bug. Anyone else experiencing this in the last week or two?

It happens when scrolling down a page.

It's thread compositing. From what I understand Chrome is using another thread for page compositing so it doesn't lock up while scrolling and/or something is blocking.

You can disable it by going to chrome://flags and setting "Threaded compositing" to "Disabled"

It's actually a good thing but I can see how it would be annoying.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is there no way to maximize chrome on osx? I know you can do full screen.
What do you mean by "Maximize"? Make the window as big as the screen but windowed? Or get rid of the tab and address bar?

Is there a way to "re-import" or update favorites from IE?
You could probably use Xmarks. But make sure you turn off syncing of bookmarks in Chrome or else you'll duplicate all your bookmarks.

If you just want a single-time import, can't you just re-export them from IE? The Xmarks option will keep them synced.

You could probably use Xmarks. But make sure you turn off syncing of bookmarks in Chrome or else you'll duplicate all your bookmarks.

If you just want a single-time import, can't you just re-export them from IE? The Xmarks option will keep them synced.

Re-exporting from IE was what I was trying to do, but I can't find out how.

Turns out it's really easy lol, read right through the option.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Fill up the screen, but not the top system bar deal.
Not out of the box. You can use one of many programs that allow the Zoom button to do this. Google for some programs. Start with one called "Moom". Better Touch Tool also allows you to set the double-click on titlebar action to maximize (Actually, this action doesn't work for Chrome since it doesn't have a title-bar to double-click) among adding many other Windows 7-esque window manipulating features.

Guri

This new notification system from Chrome for Tweetdeck is so horrible and distracting! Before, I had only one notification and I could navigate between tweets there. Not anymore. Now, each tweet shows above the other.

3phemeral

What the crap did they do to the new tab page? Goddamn it, Google.

When I had the beta version a little while back, they made my new page default to the search page with four of my most frequently visited pages below it. I didn't hate it.

Is that what you're experiencing?

???

What version and what is the problem? Screenshot that bitch!
Version 29.0.1547.32 beta-m.
When I had the beta version a little while back, they made my new page default to the search page with four of my most frequently visited pages below it. I didn't hate it.

Is that what you're experiencing?
Yes. The recent tabs menu being moved to the main menu is what annoys me the most.

This was the last straw, I have switched over to Firefox.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Version 29.0.1547.32 beta-m.
So what did they do to it? You didn't screenshot it. I'm on 28. Did they only move Recent Tabs to the tools menu? Or did they also move Other Devices there too? Because if they did I am switching to Beta right now so I can finally dump this POS stock NTP and install Speed Dial again. (Other Devices is the only reason I need to keep the stock NTP around. I NEED that menu and they haven't opened its API to NTP developers yet so I am stuck with the shittiest NTP you can get.

So what did they do to it? You didn't screenshot it. I'm on 28. Did they only move Recent Tabs to the tools menu? Or did they also move Other Devices there too? Because if they did I am switching to Beta right now so I can finally dump this POS stock NTP and install Speed Dial again. (Other Devices is the only reason I need to keep the stock NTP around. I NEED that menu and they haven't opened its API to NTP developers yet so I am stuck with the shittiest NTP you can get.
The new tab page is just a Google search bar and your eight most visited sites. Recent tabs and other devices have been combined and moved to the main menu.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
uTaJyXI.png

Notification center is going to be persistent in Chrome 30.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It would be nice to have notifications sync across devices. Missed a call or got a voicemail on my cell phone? Show it to me on my tablet and PC.

I've had this issue where leaving Chrome open eventually slows the address bar to a crawl, as in I'll start typing and in the address bar the letters will come in one at a time, with distinct pauses in-between. Restarting Chrome fixes the problem for awhile, but only temporarily. Pretty annoying.

had this issue myself...I think it has to do with chrome trying to sync the cloud data upon launch...but its just my best guess...

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
OS X already has Pinch to Zoom. (As well as the swipe back/forward gestures) Unless they mean it'll be more smooth like Safari's is. Right now a single pinch gesture zooms one notch. In Safari it's continuous.

I really wish they'd make Chrome's browser content part more smooth like Safari. And also make the browser overall use less damn resources. There are things that keep me from switching to Safari, but that line is getting thin. I mean I love Chrome, but still...

Also, ChromeOS is still alive. Not surprised, but also I am.

Does anyone ever get the problem where chrome just won't load certain websites for a while, even though other browsers will? I can't figure out any pattern to it.

Does anyone ever get the problem where chrome just won't load certain websites for a while, even though other browsers will? I can't figure out any pattern to it.

What do you mean by won't load? What actually happens?

And have you tried disabling all your extensions and running from a clean profile?

Top Bottom