• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Although I haven't deleted them, Chrome still crashes with none of my extensions enabled. It's actually done so three times in the past five minutes. What should I try next to isolate the cause?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Although I haven't deleted them, Chrome still crashes with none of my extensions enabled. It's actually done so three times in the past five minutes. What should I try next to isolate the cause?
I'd say the last resort is to delete the profile completely (You can move it somewhere or zip it up in case you want to restore some of the data like your history files or something) since everything will be synced back down if you have that enabled.

I don't know where Windows keeps it, but I do know where OS X does.

Deleting that will make it start brand new. If it's still crashing even fresh it's not Chrome. (Well, the last step is to remove it completely including the app and everything associated with it.)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I'd say the last resort is to delete the profile completely (You can move it somewhere or zip it up in case you want to restore some of the data like your history files or something) since everything will be synced back down if you have that enabled.

I don't know where Windows keeps it, but I do know where OS X does.

Deleting that will make it start brand new. If it's still crashing even fresh it's not Chrome. (Well, the last step is to remove it completely including the app and everything associated with it.)
I tried to delete my profile before, but Google's instructions confused me. I have Windows. Maybe Andrex or someone else can assist me.

Only thing I changed recently is put Chrome in the start up folder. Could that be playing a part?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I tried to delete my profile before, but Google's instructions confused me. I have Windows. Maybe Andrex or someone else can assist me.

Only thing I changed recently is put Chrome in the start up folder. Could that be playing a part?
How did the instructions confuse you? Was it telling you where to find it?

To find Chrome and its stuff, open an Explorer window and in the address bar type this and press enter: %LOCALAPPDATA%

You can figure out which stuff to delete from there. The profile is in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\ and if you go up a level you will find the Application folder which includes Chrome itself too. But the User Data folder is your profile.

Also, of course there's the official Windows way of using the Add/Remove Programs panel and remove Chrome completely from there.

A fresh start from square one will be the one sure way to know if it's your computer or something you had installed.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
I already tried re-installing Chrome before without improvement. After deleting all my user data it crashed twice trying to post here and then froze as I was typing a reply so I'm writing this on my phone.

Since Chrome doesn't appear to be at fault, guess I'll go back to Tech Support GAF...

Arkanius

Guys, I have been a Chrome user ever since it showed up, swaping from Firefox...
But recently, I've tried Internet Explorer 10.
This thing is actually faster than Chrome, how is this possible? (It still sucks due no add-ons/extensions though)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Guys, I have been a Chrome user ever since it showed up, swaping from Firefox...
But recently, I've tried Internet Explorer 10.
This thing is actually faster than Chrome, how is this possible? (It still sucks due no add-ons/extensions though)

That might be why.

If you compare vanilla Chrome to IE I think it would come out ahead.

Arkanius

That might be why.

If you compare vanilla Chrome to IE I think it would come out ahead.

I only use AdBlock and RES on Chrome though. It's not a far cry from Vanilla.
I think it's due the rendering engine on Windows. Microsoft is probably doing something very right with it, it's insanely smooth on my end (Windows 8) whereas Chrome is fast, but with dropped frames and such.

It's weird, I can't really describe it. This leaves me in a shit position.

I only use AdBlock and RES on Chrome though. It's not a far cry from Vanilla.
I think it's due the rendering engine on Windows. Microsoft is probably doing something very right with it, it's insanely smooth on my end (Windows 8) whereas Chrome is fast, but with dropped frames and such.

It's weird, I can't really describe it. This leaves me in a shit position.

Have you tried the Chrome canary? There's been lots of speed and performance improvements and the canary is 2 releases ahead of the stable branch, so it's quite noticeable.

The nice thing about Chrome, and the reason why I will always use it over every other browser is, in addition to other things, the fact that it's updated so frequently and is generally much more secure than other browsers.

kehs

Banned
So what's' the point of a pinned tab if I can close it through right click and interact without like every other tab?

Just cause it's smaller?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Yes.

Mostly they're for tabs that you keep open most of the time. I always have TweetDeck for Chrome pinned.

What else would you want it to be?

kehs

Banned
Yes.

Mostly they're for tabs that you keep open most of the time. I always have TweetDeck for Chrome pinned.

What else would you want it to be?

I like how opera treated them. You couldn't close them until you unpinned them.

So like If you hit ctrl+w just a few many times it wouldn't close them. Or if you close the window, it wouldn't close cause you had pinned table open. Pin tabs means persistence. So they should stick around.

Number45

So like If you hit ctrl+w just a few many times it wouldn't close them. Or if you close the window, it wouldn't close cause you had pinned table open. Pin tabs means persistence. So they should stick around.
They're persistent unless you manually close them - they survive the browser being restarted. The bolded would prevent you from being able to close the browser.

Ran rp

Is anyone who's been using the HTTPS Everywhere extension having issues with it preventing any page from loading? It started early this morning and when I try to go to the web store page I get a message saying it's been taken down.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
PSY・S;76842723 said:
Is anyone who's been using the HTTPS Everywhere extension having issues with it preventing any page from loading? It started early this morning and when I try to go to the web store page I get a message saying it's been taken down.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6228763

It's been removed from the Web Store, possibly among complaints that it's increasing CPU load and causing pages to not load.

kehs

Banned
Where's the bug tracker for chrome? I'm tired of doing two finger swipe back and the previous page being at the top of the page instead of where I was when I clicked a link.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Stable has hit version 29.

Among the amazing list of features:

• Improved Omnibox suggestions based on the recency of sites you have visited
  • Ability to reset your profile back to its original state
  • Many new apps and extensions APIs
  • Lots of stability and performance improvements

kehs

Banned
So I keep getting "Oops this page can't be found" and "Can't load this page" on like three computers here.

I know the sites aren't down because they load up on IE/Opera/phone.

Whats the deal?

So Chrome 29 adds white space to ominbar that doesnt actually do anything, and apparently that's intentional https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=276746

This is insane, who thought it was a good idea?

This is really rustling my jimmies. At least the new right click context menu had a flag you could add to disable it. I can't find anything on the internet on how to bring the address bar back to a reasonable sized font and eliminate that weird white space.

This is really rustling my jimmies. At least the new right click context menu had a flag you could add to disable it. I can't find anything on the internet on how to bring the address bar back to a reasonable sized font and eliminate that weird white space.

I love the larger font. Finally, the Internet is being optimized for resolutions higher than 1280x800.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Searching by image gets easier

Google Chrome Blog said:
In Chrome for Android, new gestures make it even easier to get where you want to go. Swipe horizontally across the top toolbar to quickly switch tabs (this gesture replaces swiping from the edge of the screen). Drag vertically down from the toolbar to enter into the tab switcher view. And drag down from the menu to open the menu and select the item you want without having to lift your finger.

What? Why?! I loved that feature. :(

Gui_PT

I'm sorry but I don't know where else to ask about this.

All of a sudden, I can't add any videos to my Favorites playlist on Youtube.

I can add videos to any other playlist but for the Favorites one, I just get a "Invalid Request" message.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

E: Starting to look like a problem on their end since there are other people complaining about the same problem

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Oh, so it's still in the Beta version? Dammit. We just yesterday got 29. Now we have to wait 6 months until 30 for that?

I really wanted to remove the extension I installed to do the same thing.

New Chrome versions are released every 6 weeks. You'll see it in early October.

Yeah the new omnibar hurts my eyes, white space is good but it also makes no sense in this case.

This is on a 1080 fullscreen, windows 8

cb_by_silentpixel-d6j96g3.png

lol

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
New Chrome versions are released every 6 weeks. You'll see it in early October.
Months, weeks, same thing. (lol, I knew it was 6 somethings. Has it really taken 6 weeks for 29 to come out?)

Anyway, I noticed that 29 brought along the new New Tab Page. (Maybe it was an option in about:flags?) The one with the newly designed bookmarks bar, smaller thumbnails, removal of the lists at the bottom and the Apps menu that I can FINALLY turn off. (I hate Apps so much. They're just fucking websites!) And I don't necessarily hate it.

After looking around I found that the one feature I use all the time, Other Devices, has been moved to the History page. I was hoping it would become a button or menu in the address bar, but this'll do. I just hope they never remove that feature. I just wish they would open its API to extension developers to add the lists to their own apps. I'd love to have a pop-down list in my address bar of all the tabs on my other devices.

It also meant I could FINALLY replace the NTP with Speed Dial 2 again. Now I'm so happy. It even has the bookmarks list in it as well. This is a good thing. I just have to train myself to press Command+Y to get to my other devices list instead of Command+T. I just hope they don't decide to put it back in the NTP.

Though I have noticed that while Chrome always grinds my i7 MacBook Air to a halt while it loads up all the tabs I have open (Even when I only have 5 or so) the new version is even worse at this for some reason. Like so unresponsive for a while after launch.

What is the point of making the bar take up the entire screen but only filling the middle with text? I'm serious here. I don't really understand this design decision.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What is the point of making the bar take up the entire screen but only filling the middle with text? I'm serious here. I don't really understand this design decision.
They just made it so instead of the box stopping at the address bar edges, it fills out the extra space. Who knows. It looks weird, but I rarely see this box for more than a few seconds to care.

Anyway, serious question. How do I rename what Chrome calls my computer?
iBbhvbSKxjAoI.png

You see my Phone, iPad and Mac mini server all have nice names. Taken from Sharing. But I can't figure out how to rename my Windows computer from JASONANDERS8F49. That's not even the name of my Windows anymore. So I don't know where Google keeps this name but I really want to change it to something more logical like "My Windows Machine" or something.

I'm having some trouble with my Samsung Chromebook. Whenever I sign out to switch profiles, I get a black screen instead of the sign-in page. I figured out that if I toggle the screen brightness all the way down, the screen will appear when I begin to increase the brightness and also my mouse cursor is a block of static instead of the usual icon until I move it around a little. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I thought maybe the update would fix it but all that changed was instead of the usual 'shift+ctrl+q' keyboard shortcut to sign out, now you get a pop-up asking you to press 'shift+crtl+q" twice to quit.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chrome OS hits 29.

• Kernel 3.8 landed on Pixel and Samsung 550.
  • New “immersive” mode - hit the fullscreen button to hide the toolbar and shelf and until you hover at the top for a more immersive browsing experience.
  • Pin apps to the shelf using Drag and Drop from the Launcher
  • Default wallpaper selection will sync across all your devices
  • Monitor Scaling allows you to scale the UI. Especially useful on Pixel to get some more space
  • Two-finger history navigation
  • App launcher Search just got cleverer
    • It will dynamically learn what you search for
    • Apps are more prominent
    • It will search for you in the web store if you don’t have an app installed
Immersive mode is amazing, but it kinda screws over the bookmarks bar if it's not docked, and the tabstrip doesn't appear quick enough on hover for my liking. (Would rather it be instant if you threw your mouse up to the top edge. How often is your mouse at the very top of the screen?)

The loading animation on the tab lines is great, though. Wish it was an actual 0-100 indicator though instead of just being a "spinner."

Groof

Just as I had gotten used to the dedicated Apps button in my bookmark bar, they remove it. New tab page is also back to normal. Running latest beta build.

dhonk

I'm sorry if this has been brought up before, but Neogaf in Chrome is fucked up for me. The font is all wrong and you get errors with puncuation marks too.
h7KfuXZ.jpg

I use Adblock, but i disable it on neogaf.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just as I had gotten used to the dedicated Apps button in my bookmark bar, they remove it. New tab page is also back to normal. Running latest beta build.
Apparently the new NTP is related so some odd obscure preference in about:flags. I think it's the one for Google Now.

And the Apps button can be turned on by right clicking the bookmarks bar.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Sorry to DP..

I don't know what the fuck is wrong, but for some reason this won't sync my damn other devices tabs. I have like 10 tabs open on my phone and it still has yesterday's tab "list" shown and won't update, even if I force it. Something must be wrong with their syncing system because all my devices have different stages of open tab history.

This sucks because this is like my most used feature. This is what Google does. How can syncing be broken? Fix this shit, Google! I need my tab syncing!

Sorry to DP..

I don't know what the fuck is wrong, but for some reason this won't sync my damn other devices tabs. I have like 10 tabs open on my phone and it still has yesterday's tab "list" shown and won't update, even if I force it. Something must be wrong with their syncing system because all my devices have different stages of open tab history.

This sucks because this is like my most used feature. This is what Google does. How can syncing be broken? Fix this shit, Google! I need my tab syncing!

try creating a new profile and seeing if sync works with the new profile

Top Bottom