• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
try creating a new profile and seeing if sync works with the new profile
I think it works now. They must have had a broken syncing server for a few hours because I just tested it and it updated immediately like it should. I was so afraid the apps were broken. I mean I can't live without tab syncing. Especially since it is so integrated and even syncs the individual tab histories. And since I switched to the new NTP layout so I could replace it with Speed Dial my Other Devices list is now in the History page. (I still wish they'd just make it a button menu in the toolbar or Tools menu like the Recent Tabs is.)

So after updating to Chrome 29, YouTube 720p/1080p simply don't work. I select it, the "gears" just keep spinning, no HD picture (remains at, IMHO, 480p). WTF?

20 Mbit connection, worked flawlessly, haven't touched anything besides updating Chrome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
On Chrome OS? They're OK. Dunno why they're still OS-modal though, they should just be tab-modal (I think Opera used to do that.)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I don't understand what you're saying.
I am wondering why people would need to use other search engines.

You said having ones for YouTube and Wikipedia are useful.

I mentioned Google can search websites from the address bar by pressing tab.

Did I misunderstand?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If you type "wiki" and it autocompletes Wikipedia and you press tab, that's searching Wikipedia, not Google.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
But OpenSearch has always been apart of Chrome. See the Wikipedia example. If that link is implying that this is new functionality, it is wrong.

I've even added it to my own sites and tested it in Chrome in the past. All it takes is this line:

<link rel="search" href="/search.xml" type="application/opensearchdescription+xml">

And a corresponding XML file describing how to search the site, which looks like this:

<OpenSearchDescription xmlns="http://a9.com/-/spec/opensearch/1.1/">
<ShortName>Site Name</ShortName>
<Description>Desc</Description>
<Tags>Tag</Tags>
<Contact>contact@gmail.com</Contact>
<Url type="text/html" template="http://site.com/?s={searchTerms}"/>
</OpenSearchDescription>

Woke up this morning, all my extensions and bookmarks just gone, gone like they never existed, reinstalled but nothing, doesnt sync anything, its like I never used Chrome.

kehs

Banned
So I keep getting "Oops this page can't be found" and "Can't load this page" on like three computers here.

I know the sites aren't down because they load up on IE/Opera/phone.

Whats the deal?

I'm using opera right now because this keeps happening, is there anyway to troubleshoot this?

It's only happening for neogaf.com btw.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Ugh, tab syncing is fucking broken again. This is so goddamn frustrating! If my Safari bookmarks weren't all fucked up I'd seriously consider switching. That says something. I have more faith in iCloud right now than I do Google.

ibpBR8fl3lgDqn.PNG
iR4wJiij35Siy.png
That repeated list goes on for 5 pages and is full of empty folders. I have repeatedly deleted my bookmarks from my devices and my computer and it always comes back. I'm pretty sure it's fucked up on the iCloud server. Has been since the iOS 5/6 beta. Whichever one introduced iCloud bookmark syncing. At least Chrome hasn't done anything this terrible yet.

Ran rp

I'm having issues with Chrome just remember what tabs were open after closing the browser. It keeps opening the same group of tabs from about a month ago.

PSY&#12539;S;78444333 said:
I'm having issues with Chrome just remember what tabs were open after closing the browser. It keeps opening the same group of tabs from about a month ago.

You sure you don't have them set as your default tabs?

chrome://settings/startup

Could also be messed up tab syncing, other people (such as the poster right before you) have reported a few problems

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
PSY&#12539;S;78444333 said:
I don't have that problem, but I do hate that on my 2012 MacBook Air with a goddamned 2GHz i7, it brings my whole system to its knees while it loads all the tabs. How? The damn app is multithreaded and my CPU never gets maxxed unless I'm playing a game or loading up Chrome.

Ran rp

You sure you don't have them set as your default tabs?

chrome://settings/startup

Could also be messed up tab syncing, other people (such as the poster right before you) have reported a few problems

That seems to be the problem, thanks! What's weird though is that I've always had my startup settings set to Continue where I left off before updating to 29, and the tabs that were opening were really old.

I don't have that problem, but I do hate that on my 2012 MacBook Air with a goddamned 2GHz i7, it brings my whole system to its knees while it loads all the tabs. How? The damn app is multithreaded and my CPU never gets maxxed unless I'm playing a game or loading up Chrome.

Sometimes when I exit Chrome with a shitload of tabs open I turn off Wi-Fi before opening Chrome again then reload the pages one by one.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
PSY&#12539;S;78447673 said:
Sometimes when I exit Chrome with a shitload of tabs open I turn off Wi-Fi before opening Chrome again then reload the pages one by one.
I think I solved my CPU killer problem though. I had to enable the "Disable Better Session Restore" option in about:flags. I disabled it and quit and it came back up with less CPU drag than it used to. Less hanging like it used to be. Must be a feature that's not quite fully baked yet. 29 seems to be full of those half-baked features.

strafer

What was the name of that extension were you could just press print screen and you could cut and upload an image directly. Screenshot thingy.

It's like the built in one in Windows, but this one was more awesome.

Anyone have an idea what I mean?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I hate Apps so much. They're just glorified bookmarks. Nothing can be done in a Chrome app that can't just be a website. Most of them are websites. Stop putting so much emphasis on apps, Google! I turned that shit off!

Number45

I hate Apps so much. They're just glorified bookmarks. Nothing can be done in a Chrome app that can't just be a website. Most of them are websites. Stop putting so much emphasis on apps, Google! I turned that shit off!
I agree on most counts (Feedly requiring the app to use in Chrome when it was just a website was infuriating initially), but those ones above can actually work offline.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I agree on most counts (Feedly requiring the app to use in Chrome when it was just a website was infuriating initially), but those ones above can actually work offline.
It's part of HTML5. Any normal website itself can be designed to work offline. It doesn't have to be an app. Apps are just nice icons and links to websites. Just give me the option to bookmark the same "app" website and I don't care. But don't force me to use a fucking separate Apps menu for them.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Because I really haven't found any "apps" I even care about using. Except YouTube, FaceBook, Twitter, which are all websites. Or Google Drive if I even used that. (I use DropBox.) But once in a while I come upon an app I kind of want to use, but can't bookmark, so I say fuck it and don't use it.

I just don't care about apps! That's really all there is to it. Concentrate on fixing the browser's problems, and stop focusing on apps.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
95% of your posts in this thread are about how much Chrome sucks. Why not just use another browser? The Chrome team are clearly investing a massive amount of resources into pushing apps, and you despise them, so it really isn't beneficial to anyone for you to continue using Chrome only to bitch about it online.

I think Google Keep works pretty well as an "app". It's probably psychological but it just feels simpler to manage as a pop-up outside of the browser.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Because I love Chrome. It doesn't suck. Firefox sucks. And Safari's bookmarks have been broken since 2011 for me. Chrome is awesome. I'm not the only one posting about problems you know. Pretty much everyone has complained about Chrome in the past few months because they've broken so much stuff over time. It's not unusual for people to complain.

I just hate Apps. Is that really so bad? No. It's not.

Because I love Chrome. It doesn't suck. Firefox sucks. And Safari's bookmarks have been broken since 2011 for me. Chrome is awesome. I'm not the only one posting about problems you know. Pretty much everyone has complained about Chrome in the past few months because they've broken so much stuff over time. It's not unusual for people to complain.

I just hate Apps. Is that really so bad? No. It's not.

I think it's fairly obvious that their push on apps is not going to stop. Especially if you look at this move in parallel with their progress on ChromeOS.

How do I check which version of Chrome I have on my Chromebook? I can check which browser version on my laptop easily enough but have no clue on Chromebook.

Ran rp

Anyone having issues with the find feature? I've noticed lately that on long pages the search won't see a word unless the viewable area is actually near it. So if the word "fun" was at the top of a long page several times and I searched for it while at the bottom of the page, or even middle, the search will come up empty. If I scroll closer to the words then search again they'll show up. Scroll back down and Chrome can't see it again.

Top Bottom