• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

KillerAJD

Jzero15 said:
Yup i dont know how he missed that.

Star=Bookmark
Nonononono, lol. I want to be able to click a button and have a list of my bookmarks pop up. Like the bookmark menu button in firefox.

Ashhong

KillerAJD said:
Nonononono, lol. I want to be able to click a button and have a list of my bookmarks pop up. Like the bookmark menu button in firefox.

Ahhh Ok. I cant imagine that the Bookmarks button extension would cause your browser to lag. It's not constantly active so it's probably okay. Regarding the lag, I have that too, but its very short. Maybe you just need to upgrade your computer?

Also, its not 1 click but you could just right click any bookmark and press Bookmark Manager =P

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Ashhong said:
Alrighty, so I finally made the jump to Chrome on my PC after using it on OSX for a while now. Just a couple questions...

1. Anybody know an extension that allows me to control winamp? Firefox had FoxyTunes and it added a little bar on the bottom of the window.
Use AIMP instead of Winamp, same winnar interface + global keys + minimize to tray + option to see very little bar on top of everything and control it from there.

It amazes how much better is Aimp than Winamp.

Ecrofirt

KillerAJD said:
CTRL + SHIFT + B will open the bookmark bar. From there you have a button for your bookmarks.

New update in the Dev channel, I now habitually start checking out about:flags to see what's new. Got a couple of new things in;

Web Page Prerendering.
Speculatively prerenders complete webpages in the background for a faster browsing experience

Native Client
Enable support for Native Client

Verbatim Instant
Makes the address bar load urls as you type. Search results are shown exactly as you typed them

Jasoco

Banned
Angelus Errare said:
New update in the Dev channel, I now habitually start checking out about:flags to see what's new. Got a couple of new things in;

Web Page Prerendering.
Speculatively prerenders complete webpages in the background for a faster browsing experience

Native Client
Enable support for Native Client

Verbatim Instant
Makes the address bar load urls as you type. Search results are shown exactly as you typed them
The only one OS X has is Verbatim Instant. What does Native Client mean?

I switched over to this Dev version to try it out. If it crashes again with GIF's, I'm going back to 8 Beta again. Also, it's the latest Dev, but About says there's an update available, but won't download it. Why is Chrome's updater so fucking unpredictable?

Edit: Hey, no crashes in the Simpsons GIF thread! Maybe it's fixed? And it's even scrolling faster now. Hmmm...

Sean

Banned
Jasoco said:
The only one OS X has is Verbatim Instant. What does Native Client mean?

I switched over to this Dev version to try it out. If it crashes again with GIF's, I'm going back to 8 Beta again. Also, it's the latest Dev, but About says there's an update available, but won't download it. Why is Chrome's updater so fucking unpredictable?

Edit: Hey, no crashes in the Simpsons GIF thread! Maybe it's fixed? And it's even scrolling faster now. Hmmm...

I get all those options in mine (Mac dev version). Here's the build I downloaded: http://build.chromium.org/f/chromium/snapshots/chromium-rel-mac/65778/

Jasoco

Banned
Sean said:
I get all those options in mine (Mac dev version). Here's the build I downloaded: http://build.chromium.org/f/chromium/snapshots/chromium-rel-mac/65778/
Oh, you're on Chromium. I use Chrome. I tried to switch to Chromium once but they don't make it easy to switch back and forth. My profile under Chrome is not the same location as the one for Chromium and I don't want to screw anything up. So I stick with Chrome Dev or Beta depending on which one is better at the time.

I assume those features will come in time.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
I had a dream last night; I was seeing a Google event and they where presenting Google Chrome 9, and then they said, oh what the hell, we are also releasing Google Chrome 10 right now...

Ashhong

So I've been having a problem with Chrome on OSX. I cant open files from within Chrome after downloading. I click it on the bottom, nothing. I click the arrow then press Open, nothing.

I'm on 9.0 dev. This problem occurred when I was on the stable release builds too so it's not a dev build issue

Jasoco

Banned
Just open it from the Finder.

I don't get that bug. Can you give more detail? OS version, computer specs, browser build...

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member

GaussTek

Guys, I need some help.

I'm using version 7.0.517.44, but I can't enable the GPU acceleration =(

I've tried adding:

--enable-accelerated-compositing
--enable-accelerated-2d-canvas

And all of these together:

-enable-accelerated-compositing --enable-gpu-rendering --enable-video-layering --enable-webgl --enable-accelerated-2d-canvas --enable-fastback --enable-aero-peek-tabs

But no matter what, I can't get the "GPU" process to appear under the "about:memory" tab. To make sure, I also tried the IE test drive, but of course it performs awful.

At first I thought it was a problem with the shortcut, but I've tried the "RUN" dialog and also the command line, with the same result.

I enabled the HW acceleration on Firefox Beta 4 and works like a charm, and the IE tests perform pretty good.

I'm on a notebook, I have Windows Vista HP 32-Bit, and a ATI HD3200. But like I said, works fine with Firefox.

Is there something I need to install before or some other special requirements?

Edit: I also tried a portable version 7 and 8beta, without luck :c

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Here's an odd one.

I use iReader (which is a knockoff of Readability which is itself a knockoff of Safari Reader) to read new articles without obstructions and clutter. What I'd like to do is have it automatically trigger on a certain domain names on a whitelist. Obviously it's not any good for forums, but it's great for news sites. If there was a whitelist that can be subscribed to for sites that it's guaranteed to work properly with, that'd be even more awesome.

Any extension options for this?

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
yeah it works between chrome browsers on different computers. I'm talking about google.com/bookmarks

Massa

So it turns out that upgrading to the Dev Channel version (9.0.5722.1) fixes the gif problems on Mac OS X 10.5. Why didn't I try this before...

Jasoco

Banned
Massa said:
So it turns out that upgrading to the Dev Channel version (9.0.5722.1) fixes the gif problems on Mac OS X 10.5. Why didn't I try this before...
I noticed. It's amazing. I'm guessing it has something to do with acceleration? Or did they finally fix the WebKit? Either way, I never want my page to freeze up because someone posted a 1MB+ GIF again. GIF threads will finally be tolerable again.

Massa said:
Sorry to ask this horribly stupid question, but how do you do that?

Massa

Jasoco said:
I noticed. It's amazing. I'm guessing it has something to do with acceleration? Or did they finally fix the WebKit? Either way, I never want my page to freeze up because someone posted a 1MB+ GIF again. GIF threads will finally be tolerable again.

Don't know if they fixed the WebKit or decided to work around it, either way it's working beautifully. :D

People would always say "who cares about gifs" when commenting on that bug... well, I browse GAF, damn it!

Blu_LED said:
Sorry to ask this horribly stupid question, but how do you do that?

Just follow the instructions here (back up your browser data, download new app and install):

http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

Jasoco

Banned
Massa said:
Just follow the instructions here (back up your browser data, download new app and install):

http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel
Are those Chromium or Chrome builds? Because there is a difference when it comes to your data and which app uses what profile. (I wish there was a way to have Chromium.app and Chrome.app just use the same application support files so I didn't have to worry about accidentally using the wrong one.)

Edit: Sweet. It's Chrome. I'm bookmarking that page.

Another Edit: This bug bugs the hell out of me:
When you go into About, it will say "Update Available". So you click "Update Now"...
2chmfll.jpg

Only to have it say "Update Server Not Available". Every time. The manual updater does not work. So why is it there? At least it updates me automatically. But why even have that stupid checker if it ain't going to report correctly???

Jzero

Jasoco said:
Are those Chromium or Chrome builds? Because there is a difference when it comes to your data and which app uses what profile. (I wish there was a way to have Chromium.app and Chrome.app just use the same application support files so I didn't have to worry about accidentally using the wrong one.)

Edit: Sweet. It's Chrome. I'm bookmarking that page.

Another Edit: This bug bugs the hell out of me:
When you go into About, it will say "Update Available". So you click "Update Now"...
[IMGhttp://i52.tinypic.com/2chmfll.jpgIMG]

Only to have it say "Update Server Not Available". Every time. The manual updater does not work. So why is it there? At least it updates me automatically. But why even have that stupid checker if it ain't going to report correctly???
It must be a bug, this happens to me on Canary Build but not on Dev

Jexemad

It also happened to me with my beta version. I wanted to update to 8 but couldn't, although after some time it updated itself without me knowing.

Ashhong

Jasoco said:
Just open it from the Finder.

I don't get that bug. Can you give more detail? OS version, computer specs, browser build...

Of course I can open it from Finder, but would prefer to just press it on Chrome, nice and easy.

OSX 10.6.4
8.0.552.200 Beta Build
13" MBP 2.26 C2D
2Gb ram

Happens with different builds too. Weird.

Jasoco

Banned
See, that's what it does. I don't see why it even needs the manual updater if the auto one is activated. I just wish I knew what the check interval was. Once a day? Once an hour? I prefer hourly. But that's only because I'm anal-retentive when it comes to updated apps.

quaere

Just tried Chrome on a netbook and wow is it terrible on single core machines. The entire browser locks up until a page is mostly rendered, even if it is in a background tab. Firefox and Opera run circles around this.

The Chrome OS netbooks are going to have to be dual core. Hope that doesn't hurt the battery life much, as really long run times are the main reason I'm interested in getting a Chrome OS machine.

aswedc said:
Just tried Chrome on a netbook and wow is it terrible on single core machines. The entire browser locks up until a page is mostly rendered, even if it is in a background tab. Firefox and Opera run circles around this.

The Chrome OS netbooks are going to have to be dual core. Hope that doesn't hurt the battery life much, as really long run times are the main reason I'm interested in getting a Chrome OS machine.

Using Chrome on my Asus 1215n (dual core Atom w/ nVidia Ion) with Windows 7, and I tend to get a good 4-5 hours of battery life with wifi on and max brightness. With wifi off and brightness down about 2 clicks, I'm closer to 6 hours. Of course, this is a 12" laptop so it's more a "sub-notebook" than a netbook, but the point is that, the battery life is still alright despite running a dual core. I swear, the nVidia Optimus technology that is on this laptop has to add a good 2 hours to the battery life.

quaere

Soka said:
Using Chrome on my Asus 1215n (dual core Atom w/ nVidia Ion) with Windows 7, and I tend to get a good 4-5 hours of battery life with wifi on and max brightness. With wifi off and brightness down about 2 clicks, I'm closer to 6 hours. Of course, this is a 12" laptop so it's more a "sub-notebook" than a netbook, but the point is that, the battery life is still alright despite running a dual core. I swear, the nVidia Optimus technology that is on this laptop has to add a good 2 hours to the battery life.
I was hoping for much closer to iPad levels. With a standard notebook battery life what's the benefit of Chrome OS over something like Ubuntu? The only thing left would be instant on.

So . . . . . Google Chrome is a bitch

I've done a web app task manager.
And each task is contained within a <ul> and each task is a <li>
each <li> contains a number of <div> tags, with each <div> being specific, i.e a subtask, or an action, and each of those things are <li> or <a> tags within those <div> tags.

Every browser displays the list properly
as they look roughly like this
<div><ul><li><div></div><div></div><div></div><li><ul><li><a></a></li></ul></li><div><li><a></a></li></div></li></ul></div>

The problem is Chrome(and chromium) are closing those bolded <li> tags off immediately (i.e. <div><ul><li></li> whereas every other browser contains everything inside those bolded tags.... .......inside those bolded tags!.

DefectiveReject said:
So . . . . . Google Chrome is a bitch

I've done a web app task manager.
And each task is contained within a <ul> and each task is a <li>
each <li> contains a number of <div> tags, with each <div> being specific, i.e a subtask, or an action, and each of those things are <li> or <a> tags within those <div> tags.

Every browser displays the list properly
as they look roughly like this
<div><ul><li><div></div><div></div><div></div><li><ul><li><a></a></li></ul></li><div><li><a></a></li></div></li></ul></div>

The problem is Chrome(and chromium) are closing those bolded <li> tags off immediately (i.e. <div><ul><li></li> whereas every other browser contains everything inside those bolded tags.... .......inside those bolded tags!.
You can't put an li as a direct child of a li. Chrome is doing it right, you're doing it wrong.

Want to tag quote so bad.

Zeppu

Code:
<div>
    <ul>
        <li>
            <div></div>
            <div></div>
            <div></div>
        <li>
            <ul>
                <li>
                    <a></a>
                </li>
            </ul>
        </li>
        <div>
            <li>
                <a></a>
            </li>
        </div>
        </li>
    </ul>
</div>

That makes no sense from a syntactical point of view though.

All <li> must be directly within an <ul> or <ol> and each <li> must be closed off at some point. If you choose to not close <li> tags then every time the browser encounters an <li> and the previous <li> has not been closed off then the previous <li> will be closed at some point where the browser thinks makes sense.

Try surround your sub li in an <ol> or <ul>.

josephdebono said:
Code:
<div>
    <ul>
        <li>
            <div></div>
            <div></div>
            <div>
        <li>
            <ul>
                <li>
                    <a></a>
                </li>
            </ul>
        </li>
</div>
        <div>
            <li>
                <a></a>
            </li>
        </div>
        </li>
    </ul>
</div>

That makes no sense from a syntactical point of view though.

All <li> must be directly within an <ul> or <ol> and each <li> must be closed off at some point. If you choose to not close <li> tags then every time the browser encounters an <li> and the previous <li> has not been closed off then the previous <li> will be closed at some point where the browser thinks makes sense.

Try surround your sub li in an <ol> or <ul>.

i corrected the list above to show how i mistyped initially
EVERY browser displays it as intended (even stock browser on my HTC Desire, which i guess is based off the Chrome engine) So are they all doing it wrong also ???? i also had W3C checker check my code and it highlighted no issues.

If i am wrong i've no issue in admitting so, maybe i've been staring so long i can't see what i need to, but printed out the whole page code is 34pages of A4 long so reviewing it gets tiresome, especially as its mixed in with PHP and javascript!!

when Flux, Safari, Opera, IE and Firefox display it and Chrome doesn't. you don't tend to think "Hey Chrome is right and they are all wrong"

EDIT:
One of my else statements had an additional </div> tag in which threw it out. i took it out and all works in all now. Strange(to me) how the rest compensated for this and chrome didn't.

Zeppu

DefectiveReject said:
One of my else statements had an additional </div> tag in which threw it out. i took it out and all works in all now. Strange(to me) how the rest compensated for this and chrome didn't.

I've encountered this actually. Chrome fucks up (dunno if he's right or wrong or whatever) if you just put in a closed tag without having a corresponding open.

Still, I would suggest (especially since you seem to be generating this programmatically) to close each <li>. That should solve a few headaches.

DefectiveReject said:
EDIT:
It's a recent change. Chrome 6 showed the broken GAF tabs fine, Chrome 7 showed them broken as they really were.

Webkit isn't fucking around with bad HTML anymore. I like it.

Zeppu

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
It's a recent change. Chrome 6 showed the broken GAF tabs fine, Chrome 7 showed them broken as they really were.

That reminds me, tabs are still broken in the search results page? I'm on Chrome 9. In fact I had had the tabs broken for months before we got that fateful OMG TABS topic.

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Webkit isn't fucking around with bad HTML anymore. I like it.
And yes, I agree completely with you. Just because the parsers used to be lenient is no excuse to write sloppy HTML.

yep, as stated its all fine now.
Are Safari and Android using an old webkit?

and i don't write sloppy HTML, i didn't set out what i had done properly, i was a broken man!!! LOL

And i'm going through and taking all my "echo" statements out where i can and using just HTML, easier to spot that way

noob question: I know what Chrome is...but I'm not clear on what Chromium is?

also, does the OSX version handle streaming flash video any better? watching my CPU stray up into the 90C+ range isn't very confidence inspiring. (doesn't happen in Safari or Firefox)

thanks, guys.

tmdorsey

Did anybody ever answer the question to why the "go to first unread post" only works some of the time in Chrome? Is that a problem with the forum code?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
tmdorsey said:
Did anybody ever answer the question to why the "go to first unread post" only works some of the time in Chrome? Is that a problem with the forum code?
Yea, seriously, I'm getting tired of having to clear my cache to get this to work.

Gui_PT

SpeedingUptoStop said:
Yea, seriously, I'm getting tired of having to clear my cache to get this to work.

What I do now is "go to last page" and then "view last unread" but it would be really nice if this problem was fixed.

Pyrokai

Crazy question. Where in the world do the themes you've downloaded go? Every time I want to change the theme, I have to re-download them from Google's site. And sometimes I just download them to see if I like them, and I have downloaded a couple of them multiple times. I must have a ton of redundant themes being stored somewhere....or doesn't it handle it the way I'm thinking?

Also, where can I view all the themes? On the themes page, it only has a handful from Google, and when I click on "Themes by Artists" it only gives me one page. I KNOW there have to be many more themes not being displayed. I used an Android themed one once and that's definitely not on the page. Where's the full listing?

Top Bottom