• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Ashhong

On OSX Chrome 8.0, I cant seem to tap the side scrollbar and have it jump to that spot. Right now if I tap the scroll bar it moves the bar in increments. I have it set on OSX to jump to that spot that I tap on, anybody else have that problem?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I'm using the built in Flash plug-in that comes with Chrome and I wish they would control it.

I'm watching a video on yahoo and this has been slowly building for about 40 minutes now. I didn't notice until I got a low memory warning from Windows.

uLeOy.png

why is a plugin using 1GB+ of memory and why is Chrome allowing it to do that? It's ridiculous.

D4Danger said:
I'm using the built in Flash plug-in that comes with Chrome and I wish they would control it.

I'm watching a video on yahoo and this has been slowly building for about 40 minutes now. I didn't notice until I got a low memory warning from Windows.

uLeOy.png

why is a plugin using 1GB+ of memory when all I'm doing is watching a video and why is Chrome allowing it to do that? this shit is ridiculous.
the same reason why I put my Chrome conversion on hold. The Firefox beta does a much better job than Chrome or Safari ever have.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Strange, after restating my computer yesterday, it said my Chrome data was corrupt. I lost all my extensions and theme but still have my bookmarks and search keywords.

Pyrokai

ICallItFutile said:
Strange, after restating my computer yesterday, it said my Chrome data was corrupt. I lost all my extensions and theme but still have my bookmarks and search keywords.

Make sure to sync your Chrome to the Cloud so you don't lose your extensions and bookmarks! Preferences>Personal Stuff>Sync

Hela

Adblock or Adthwart? Both seem to sometime fail to load gametrailers or spoonyexperiment in the latest dev.

Hela

How would I go to a previous version since it says that I won't be able to use my profile because it was created with a newer Chrome?

Jzero

Do NOT use "Accelerated 2D canvas" from about:flags, it is extremely unstable and makes chrome crash a lot.

louis89

Pyrokai said:
Also, where can I view all the themes? On the themes page, it only has a handful from Google, and when I click on "Themes by Artists" it only gives me one page. I KNOW there have to be many more themes not being displayed. I used an Android themed one once and that's definitely not on the page. Where's the full listing?
Always thought this was weird.

Jzero15 said:
Do NOT use "Accelerated 2D canvas" from about:flags, it is extremely unstable and makes chrome crash a lot.
Thanks man, that was the culprit to my frequent crashes I think, seems to be going without a crash now.

Jasoco

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Latest dev build has had tabs crashing like crazy for me =/
I have 9.0.587.0 dev and haven't had a crash yet. According to Google this is the latest one. Or are you talking about a Chromium build?

Jzero15 said:
What version is this in?

Jasoco said:
I have 9.0.587.0 dev and haven't had a crash yet. According to Google this is the latest one. Or are you talking about a Chromium build?

What version is this in?
Same version, I would crash half the time randomly on new tabs being loaded.

Jasoco

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Same version, I would crash half the time randomly on new tabs being loaded.
Interestingly, the LAST build I had of 9.0 had this problem so I went back to 8.0 beta, but I decided to try again when 9.0 got a new build and haven't had any problems yet.

OS X here.

vazel

Banned
They took out the click to play plugin option. :( I know there's Flashblock and it's what I have installed now but I still preferred it built into the browser.

DNyQE.png

gyN4m.jpg

I was going to switch to Chrome from Firefox, but the options on cookies made me pause. No way to have a whitelist and allow cookies for sessions.

Zeppu

marathonfool said:
I was going to switch to Chrome from Firefox, but the options on cookies made me pause. No way to have a whitelist and allow cookies for sessions.

What do you mean..?

Edit: Apart from finding the option I think you are looking for (maybe it's just in the dev version), I genuinely want to know why you would reject cookies except for a particular whitelist.

josephdebono said:
What do you mean..?

Edit: Apart from finding the option I think you are looking for (maybe it's just in the dev version), I genuinely want to know why you would reject cookies except for a particular whitelist.
I want to whitelist cookies between sessions for trusted websites and allow session cookies for sites that need them. I just don't like the idea of marketers snooping around and tracking.

Zeppu

marathonfool said:
I want to whitelist cookies between sessions for trusted websites and allow session cookies for sites that need them. I just don't like the idea of marketers snooping around and tracking.

Ah, so save the whitelist's cookies but delete everything else. Okay I don't think there's that option.

japetus

vazel said:
They took out the click to play plugin option. :( I know there's Flashblock and it's what I have installed now but I still preferred it built into the browser.

DNyQE.png

gyN4m.jpg

They moved the option to about:flags.

vazel

Banned
japetus said:
They moved the option to about:flags.
Thanks! Flashblock wasn't working right on hulu; I like to have that site always open in a tab as I'm watching through a series but don't want it starting the video until I want it to.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
marathonfool said:

you can block all cookies and create an exception list to allow those you want

you can block all thrid-party cookies so only the site you're visiting can set a cookie. (this is what I do)

you can also set it to clear cookies when you close Chrome

is there something else you wanted?

D4Danger said:
you can block all cookies and create an exception list to allow those you want

you can block all thrid-party cookies so only the site you're visiting can set a cookie. (this is what I do)

you can also set it to clear cookies when you close Chrome

is there something else you wanted?
I don't want to block all cookies. I want to just allow them per session.

I don't want to clear all cookies because I want to keep the cookies from trusted websites between sessions.

Flash

For some reason, half of peoples display pictures on facebook is not showing up. This problem only arises when i'm using chrome though. Pictures load properly on firefox.

Anyone else have this problem? any fixes?

Thanks.

Jzero

Flash said:
For some reason, half of peoples display pictures on facebook is not showing up. This problem only arises when i'm using chrome though. Pictures load properly on firefox.

Anyone else have this problem? any fixes?

Thanks.

what channel are you on?

im on Dev and this has always happened to me, especially gifs or places with a lot of images. i wonder when they'll fix that.

but on stable everything is good.

EzLink

Banned
This has been driving me nuts for a while. Whenever I'm at home, Chrome very very frequently won't display images (seems to be mainly ones hosted by imugr)

The weird thing is, when I'm at school in my dorm, all images load fine. It's only at home I'm having the problem

I really have no clue how I would go about fixing this

I have a question maybe some people here can answer. This didn't used to happen to me a while ago though I don't remember when it started. It also doesn't happen to me in firefox or internet explorer so I know it's a chrome issue.

Some sites aren't showing flash content. Just a blank white space. Or if it's a video sometimes the loading wheel animation thingy keeps spinning but nothing ever comes up, though when I right click it says about flash or some shit. Anyone know why this is happening. Other flash content works perfectly fine...

Jasoco

Banned
Speaking of Flash, the 10.2 beta came out the other day, but since Chrome forces you to use its own bundled version it's difficult to get it to allow newer betas to work. The 9.0 dev no longer lets the old trick of disabling the built-in one work, so here's how I got it to let me install 10.2 on OS X...

First I install 10.2 from Adobe's site using the instructions they offer. (Uninstall the old one, install the new one)

Then I open the Chrome bundle in the Finder:
Code:
/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/9.0.587.0/Google Chrome\ Framework.framework/Internet Plug-Ins/

And then I copy the "Flash Player.plugin" file from /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ to the folder above, rename it to "Flash Player Plugin for Chrome.plugin" and restart Chrome.

It uses it as if it were its own. I just hope Chrome doesn't have some sort of system to revert it to the older one if the version is detected as wrong. That would piss me off. And it'll probably need to be done again when Chrome updates itself. Still, at least I can now test it out.

Jasoco said:
Speaking of Flash, the 10.2 beta came out the other day, but since Chrome forces you to use its own bundled version it's difficult to get it to allow newer betas to work. The 9.0 dev no longer lets the old trick of disabling the built-in one work, so here's how I got it to let me install 10.2 on OS X...

First I install 10.2 from Adobe's site using the instructions they offer. (Uninstall the old one, install the new one)

Then I open the Chrome bundle in the Finder:
Code:
/Applications/Google Chrome.app/Contents/Versions/9.0.587.0/Google Chrome\ Framework.framework/Internet Plug-Ins/

And then I copy the "Flash Player.plugin" file from /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/ to the folder above, rename it to "Flash Player Plugin for Chrome.plugin" and restart Chrome.

It uses it as if it were its own. I just hope Chrome doesn't have some sort of system to revert it to the older one if the version is detected as wrong. That would piss me off. And it'll probably need to be done again when Chrome updates itself. Still, at least I can now test it out.
good job!

so the cpu usage is greatly lessened?

Jasoco

Banned
No idea yet. I suppose I should have done some tests. I still have the old plug-in of 10.1 Perhaps later I'll test some videos. I'm not expecting anything too extreme though, it is Flash after all and it is Adobe. Right now I'm busy watching some Harry Potter movies and tomorrow I have a SSD arriving, but eventually I'll get around to doing some tests.

Anyone know of any good videos I can use to test Flash video out on? Obviously stuff with 720p options. (I don't have a 1080p display)

Jasoco said:
No idea yet. I suppose I should have done some tests. I still have the old plug-in of 10.1 Perhaps later I'll test some videos. I'm not expecting anything too extreme though, it is Flash after all and it is Adobe. Right now I'm busy watching some Harry Potter movies and tomorrow I have a SSD arriving, but eventually I'll get around to doing some tests.

Anyone know of any good videos I can use to test Flash video out on? Obviously stuff with 720p options. (I don't have a 1080p display)
just go to UStream. tell us if your CPU goes +90C after a few minutes or not. :lol

Pctx

Banned
Kong Fisso said:
Does Flash also eat crazy CPU and ram in the stable version? I'm on OSX.
Somewhat... but nothing crazy.

I am happy that Flash in Canary (and Dev) is finally sandboxed (legit) and is working quite well.

Love to see it not be able to do anything suspicious.

Jasoco said:
No idea yet.
I just did some tests. I'd say Chrome + Flash uses about 15% more CPU power than Opera/Safari + Flash. the Firefox beta uses approx. the same amount as Chrome.

IMO, Chrome remains a big problem for those interested in playing lots of flash content or streaming stuff. Opera remains the best choice.

Jasoco

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
I just did some tests. I'd say Chrome + Flash uses about 15% more CPU power than Opera/Safari + Flash. the Firefox beta uses approx. the same amount as Chrome.

IMO, Chrome remains a big problem for those interested in playing lots of flash content or streaming stuff. Opera remains the best choice.
All the Firefox versions I have installed are shit. They load slow, run slow, they're slow. Chrome is the nicest browser I have. Safari loads fast too, but Chrome has the stuff I like. I only keep Firefox around for DownloadHelper now. And when I have to launch it just to download a Flash video, it's so sloooooooow before it finally loads up.

I wonder if my SSD will fix that, but still, I ain't leaving Chrome behind now. I'm on Chrome for a long time to come.

giga

New thread? Andrex is banned. :(

I want people [mostly on Windows] to get in on the integrated PDF reader. Shit is sandboxed!

Pctx

Banned
Jasoco said:
I'm already on Chrome 9. Does this mean 9 is about to go Beta and 10 will become Dev? :D
You running Canary I take it? I would imagine we'll hear something from Google on this in the next few weeks.

And yes... we should probably talk about collapsing threads or making a new one since Andrex is gone and I have no idea when the guy will be back. (if ever)

Jasoco

Banned
No. Canaries don't work on OS X. I'm on the Dev builds. The highest you can go on OS X. And I haven't had any problems which is nice. Just waiting for it to update again. But the updater STILL sucks. It keeps saying there's an update, but then when I try to check it says "Update Server Unavailable" every time. So I end up going to the official download page and download it myself only to find out there WAS an update, but the fucking program can't update itself.

And now even after updating to the latest highest version I can get on the Dev channel, it STILL says "Update available".

Dearest Google,

HOW FUCKING HARD IS IT TO MAKE A WORKING APPLICATION UPDATER?
COULD YOU PLEASE FIX THIS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD?!

Love always,
ka4jzd.jpg

Summer Glau​

Top Bottom