• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Jasoco

Banned
They haven't fixed it for months. It doesn't look to be on their list of priorities. Does every OS have the same problem? I wish they'd just use Sparkle for updating on OS X. It's amazingly awesome.

It's not that hard.

Code:
latest_version = ping_server()
if latest_version > your_version {
  update_label.text = "New version available!"
  update_button.enabled = true
}

function update_button_click() {
  download_latest_version()
}
*Pseudo Code

Blackhead

Redarse
Jasoco said:
No. Canaries don't work on OS X. I'm on the Dev builds. The highest you can go on OS X. And I haven't had any problems which is nice. Just waiting for it to update again. But the updater STILL sucks. It keeps saying there's an update, but then when I try to check it says "Update Server Unavailable" every time. So I end up going to the official download page and download it myself only to find out there WAS an update, but the fucking program can't update itself.

And now even after updating to the latest highest version I can get on the Dev channel, it STILL says "Update available".

Dearest Google,

HOW FUCKING HARD IS IT TO MAKE A WORKING APPLICATION UPDATER?
COULD YOU PLEASE FIX THIS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD?!

Love always,
ka4jzd.jpg

Summer Glau​
Is that really from her? <3

Jasoco

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
Is that really from her? <3
The signature is. I painstakingly cut it out of a photo I found on Google in PhotoShop one day after seeing this comic.
venting.png

P.P.S. I can kill you with my brain.

Stumpokapow said:
Chrome Instant.

It's Google Instant for your browser. It works amazingly. It's the most revolutionary update in a browser in a decade, seriously.
Are you sure it is there?

Seems as normal as Chrome 7 to me right now.

Jasoco

Banned
Instant is so awesome and such a time saver. Can't believe it took this long.

I also love OS X's Tab Overview. I just wish the screen had some other options like close X's on each thumbnail and some other buttons like maybe a + for creating a new tab and the ability to drag them around and rearrange them. I assigned it to a three-finger trackpad swipe to the left.

Blackhead

Redarse
Jasoco said:
The signature is. I painstakingly cut it out of a photo I found on Google in PhotoShop one day after seeing this comic.
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/venting.png[IMG]
[spoiler]P.P.S. I can kill you with my brain.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]
:lol I'll have to borrow that sometime. Google Instant is awesome. I only switched to Opera today and already I'm considering switching to Chrome. This browser competition is not a good thing; there is too much choice. I asked a while back if Chrome on OSX has the option for side tabs—is it included now?

Jasoco

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
:lol I'll have to borrow that sometime. Google Instant is awesome. I only switched to Opera today and already I'm considering switching to Chrome. This browser competition is not a good thing; there is too much choice. I asked a while back if Chrome on OSX has the option for side tabs—is it included now?
It's been a hack for months I believe. On Windows though.

I won't be going back to Firefox. I'm keeping my bookmarks in one browser now and am not exporting them again. Fuck that shit. Firefox can do whatever the fuck the want, Chrome works amazing for me and is super fast with all the newest features.

Ashhong

Jasoco said:
No. Canaries don't work on OS X. I'm on the Dev builds. The highest you can go on OS X. And I haven't had any problems which is nice. Just waiting for it to update again. But the updater STILL sucks. It keeps saying there's an update, but then when I try to check it says "Update Server Unavailable" every time. So I end up going to the official download page and download it myself only to find out there WAS an update, but the fucking program can't update itself.

And now even after updating to the latest highest version I can get on the Dev channel, it STILL says "Update available".

Dearest Google,

HOW FUCKING HARD IS IT TO MAKE A WORKING APPLICATION UPDATER?
COULD YOU PLEASE FIX THIS FOR THE LOVE OF GOD?!

Love always,
ka4jzd.jpg

Summer Glau​
:lol :lol :lol

Fatalah

FLEABttn said:
about:flags
Turn it on.

I did not know these options were available! I just enabled "GPU Accelerated Compositing".

Is this the hardware accelerated browsing I keep reading about?

Zeppu

Jasoco said:

Never had this problem on any of my superior OSs where I'm running Dev builds. Strange.

Pctx

Banned
Jasoco said:
They haven't fixed it for months. It doesn't look to be on their list of priorities. Does every OS have the same problem? I wish they'd just use Sparkle for updating on OS X. It's amazingly awesome.

It's not that hard.

Code:
latest_version = ping_server()
if latest_version > your_version {
  update_label.text = "New version available!"
  update_button.enabled = true
}

function update_button_click() {
  download_latest_version()
}
*Pseudo Code
Not sure if you saw this Jasoco....
canary-1291291926.jpg

http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2010/12/02/google-chrome-canary-coming-to-other-oses/

FLEABttn

Banned
Fatalah said:
I did not know these options were available! I just enabled "GPU Accelerated Compositing".

Is this the hardware accelerated browsing I keep reading about?

What I read about GPU Accelerated Compositing suggests that it is, but the IE9 GPU Acceleration benchmarks suggest to me that it either isn't, that GPU Accelerated Compositing is not implemented correctly, or that the IE9 benchmarks aren't implemented correctly.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I got this email today

Hello!

Thank you for developing for Google Chrome. These last few months, our team has been hard at work, preparing for the Chrome Web Store launch later this year. Extensions and themes for Google Chrome will be part of this new store. With this email we wanted to inform you of some upcoming developments and changes in the extensions gallery and how you can best prepare the items you have listed in the gallery for the upcoming launch.

1. We have updated our guidelines for extension and theme creative assets: We recommend you to produce all the creative materials described in our docs. These are currently available only to apps developers but the same guidelines will apply to all items listed in the store once we launch. So, if you get these prepared now, you are going to be ready when the store launches. For those of you with complex extensions, we also highly recommend investing some time in preparing videos and slideshows, describing how your extensions work.

2. Double-check our branding policies: If you are using Google trademarks and brand names to describe your items, please take a moment to re-read our branding policies to help you avoid common mistakes.

3. Verify your listed items using Google’s Webmaster Tools: This new feature allows you to associate your website with the items you have posted in the store. This will make users more comfortable trying them out. Access this feature at the developer dashboard.

4. Set up your Google Checkout merchant account and associate it with your developer account: If you are located in the US and want to sell apps and eventually extensions or themes through the store, you’ll need to register for a Google Checkout merchant account. You can find more information on this new help article.

5. Make your extensions more discoverable: We will be launching a robust system of extensions categories in the gallery. You now have the option to classify your extension in up to three of these categories through the developer dashboard. This will help your extension be discovered by users who will be browsing the pages for each category.

Thank you again for making Google Chrome a better browser.

The Google Chrome Extensions team

©2010 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

You have received this mandatory email service announcement to update you about important information regarding your published Google Chrome extension(s).

Pctx

Banned
D4Danger said:
I got this email today
So.... sounds like they will be able to roll with their own store then. Makes me wonder how the portable chrome and android marketplace fits into this.

Jasoco

Banned
Pctx said:
The thing is, if it's anything like the Chromium builds, I can't just switch between the versions and keep all my settings. Chromium uses its own Profile folder in its own settings folder and Chrome uses its own. I assume the Canaries do too. If they made it so all the apps used the same application support folder and could be launched separately (Firefox and the Beta's use the same exact profiles), but Chrome's different forks don't. Which is understandable for some reasons, but the main reason I don't use Chromium right now.

Pctx

Banned
Jasoco said:
The thing is, if it's anything like the Chromium builds, I can't just switch between the versions and keep all my settings. Chromium uses its own Profile folder in its own settings folder and Chrome uses its own. I assume the Canaries do too. If they made it so all the apps used the same application support folder and could be launched separately (Firefox and the Beta's use the same exact profiles), but Chrome's different forks don't. Which is understandable for some reasons, but the main reason I don't use Chromium right now.
Sounds like they are putting in multiple users/profiles so maybe that will be one of the new things in the canary builds that may solve the whole version sync issue.

Hela

I can't watch gametrailers' videos with latest dev. I get "User must allow 3rd party flash content", but I'm unable to check this setting for the world.

Jasoco

Banned
Pctx said:
Sounds like they are putting in multiple users/profiles so maybe that will be one of the new things in the canary builds that may solve the whole version sync issue.
That's the opposite actually. Multiple profiles means more than one in a single browser. What I want is all three Chrome forks to use the same profile.

Do the Canary builds call themselves Chrome in the EXE/APP filename? If so, there will probably be no problem. If they're like Chromium where the app is named Chromium and it has its own folder under Application Support, then it'll have its own profile. Dev and Beta builds are just Chrome.app with different guts. If the Canaries are the same app, I will have no problem trying them out. As long as they don't do anything to fuck up my profile in case I go back to a Dev.

Jzero

The Chrome Web store let me down, i mean there are some alright apps, but most of them are just the normal webpages, and you don't even get notifications with them. and also Plants v Zombies doesn't load in mine

Wallach

Reposted from another thread as this one is probably more appropriate: I'm constantly annoyed by the scroll bar on this browser, as whenever I scroll up by directly dragging too fast it will snap back to where it was when I actually clicked the bar (seems to be caused by the cursor going just over the "Other bookmarks" button). Is there any way to fix that? Drives me nuts.

Wallach said:
Reposted from another thread as this one is probably more appropriate: I'm constantly annoyed by the scroll bar on this browser, as whenever I scroll up by directly dragging too fast it will snap back to where it was when I actually clicked the bar (seems to be caused by the cursor going just over the "Other bookmarks" button). Is there any way to fix that? Drives me nuts.

Seems to actually be caused by moving your mouse horizontally after you have the scroll bar selected. On mine, I can click the scroll bar and move up and down fine, but if you move the mouse cursor to the left more than 1.5" (approx, of course), it snaps back to the original position.

But...you can just move the cursor back, if you still have your mouse button pressed. Really not that difficult.

Kuran said:
Yay now we can play cellphone gaming on our desktop computers.

Yeah, I don't get the hubbub about the games. The other dedicated apps are cool, but I just don't know if they're more useful than the actual sites. Not to mention the ones I install are pretty buggy (functions not working, etc.) Still, it's day 1 and I like it so far.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jzero15 said:
The Chrome Web store let me down, i mean there are some alright apps, but most of them are just the normal webpages, and you don't even get notifications with them. and also Plants v Zombies doesn't load in mine

Yeah, it's a little disappointing.

I "installed" Mibbit, which is a web IRC client I've been using for at least a year. All it seems to do is add a shortcut to mibbit, but I've already got one of those in my bookmarks and in my most visited thumbnails on the new tab page.

Installed Amazon.com. That failed to install, just totally bombed out.

New York Times looks great and all... but again, it's just a bookmark to http://www.nytimes.com/chrome/ -- again, great interface, but I could do that in any browser and before the Chrome Web Store launched. In fact, why don't they just redirect http://www.nytimes.com to the Chrome version?

I decided to install "Clock", an application by Google. It gives you a popup box with a little calendar and clock. That seems... well, redundant, actually... but at least this one seems to be locally installed and part of the web browser, as opposed to just a shortcut to a website.

"What Is My Ip Address" looked neat, but I can already go to http://www.whatismyipaddress.com and it gives me the same thing.

... and that's all I found in all of the non-game categories that looked at all interesting. The first game I tried was Canabalt. It triggered FlashBlock, so obviously it's just a link to the Flash Canabalt website.

Wallach

Mr. Snrub said:
Seems to actually be caused by moving your mouse horizontally after you have the scroll bar selected. On mine, I can click the scroll bar and move up and down fine, but if you move the mouse cursor to the left more than 1.5" (approx, of course), it snaps back to the original position.

But...you can just move the cursor back, if you still have your mouse button pressed. Really not that difficult.

It happens in both cases for me. The problem is that usually I will do that as a flick motion just to get to the top of a page and apparently a decent percentage of the time when I release the mouse button the cursor is just high enough that it snaps back to where it was.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Yeah this blows. It's a good "hey did you know about this cool website" place, I guess.

I'm not sure it'll even be that. If you don't know shit about the internet, this would be useful, but you also wouldn't be running Chrome, you'd be stuck on IE6 or whatever. If you know shit about the internet, you probably a) know how to use Google, and b) know how to use sites like Digg / Reddit / Delicious / Stumbleupon / etc.

I guess I was kind of thinking these web apps would have some sort of operating system integration or something... :/

f0rk

Stumpokapow said:
I'm not sure it'll even be that. If you don't know shit about the internet, this would be useful, but you also wouldn't be running Chrome, you'd be stuck on IE6 or whatever. If you know shit about the internet, you probably a) know how to use Google, and b) know how to use sites like Digg / Reddit / Delicious / Stumbleupon / etc.

I guess I was kind of thinking these web apps would have some sort of operating system integration or something... :/

During the QA the Indian dude said the advantage was that it packaged everything you need to have it run in one installation. Seems kinda pointless for people like us, but I guess it would be useful if you were clueless or an app had obscure requirements.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Really not seeing the point of a web store. Atleast based on current content.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Friendly Monster said:
The Web is the operating system.

The store is basically about monetization.

Monetizing what, though? On the launch store, all the best stuff is free and all the for-pay stuff is cash grab stuff. I mean, what web apps would we ever want to be monetized outside of games? Outside of games, I'd figure... Netflix--which wouldn't work because they don't want Google as a middleman and like on iOS they'll give away the client and sell their own subscriptions... ... ... well, that's about all I've got for non-games that it makes sense to monetize.

I could see it being a useful payment processor for games, I guess.

Drewsky

I installed Chrome 8 and now every time I open it up it says that the profile I'm using is from a later version and I need to select a new profile. What's this about?

It feels like a flash game site and then it's not even that fun to use. I would like something like kongregate.com though but ehhh. still see no reason for the web store

Stumpokapow said:
Monetizing what, though? On the launch store, all the best stuff is free and all the for-pay stuff is cash grab stuff. I mean, what web apps would we ever want to be monetized outside of games? Outside of games, I'd figure... Netflix--which wouldn't work because they don't want Google as a middleman and like on iOS they'll give away the client and sell their own subscriptions... ... ... well, that's about all I've got for non-games that it makes sense to monetize.

I could see it being a useful payment processor for games, I guess.
Games, music, films and TV for me. Maaaaybe subscription to newspapers, magazines and ad-free websites.

Futureman

The NYTimes app is pretty cool as it's more of a customizable version of the website. I feel like I'm getting more information at once with the website, but the app feels more focused and nicer to read. I guess this is where the web is headed.

Amazon app doesn't let me type in the search box. Works in Sarari though :lol

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Friendly Monster said:
Games, music, films and TV for me. Maaaaybe subscription to newspapers, magazines and ad-free websites.

It's not clear to me what you mean by "music", "films", and "TV". If you mean Spotify, Hulu Plus, and Netflix, like I said, they're not ever going to use something like this.

With the Chrome App Store and those services, Google is only handling credit card processing. All the rest would still be handled by those companies. Why wouldn't they just use Paypal, Google Checkout, or their own credit card processing and eat the ~5%?

Futureman

Stumpokapow said:
It's not clear to me what you mean by "music", "films", and "TV". If you mean Spotify, Hulu Plus, and Netflix, like I said, they're not ever going to use something like this.

Google just released an ebook store. They will probably have a video and music store?

They have the most popular smartphone in the world. Wouldn't they be stupid not to?

and if people don't want to use the Google offerings, they will still make it easy for Netflix, Amazon, whoever, to have their own, nice app version of their site for Chrome/Chrome OS users.

Plus what else he said. News/Magazine subscription.

Top Bottom