• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Dreams-Visions said:
I wonder if something like this could make OnLive succeed...
Your still downloading an app though. Onlive wouldn't even need that outside of an initial online app. The rest would all stream as that is Onlive's whole point.

Brettison said:
Your still downloading an app though. Onlive wouldn't even need that outside of an initial online app. The rest would all stream as that is Onlive's whole point.
yes, that's what I was getting at.

in order for a laptop of this kind to play anything more impressive than Hexic HD, the services of someone like OnLive would be necessary to meet the needs. Until now, OnLive has felt like a solution in search of a problem...but now the problem has arrived and OnLive may be the perfect compliment.

No?

Stumpokapow said:
It's not clear to me what you mean by "music", "films", and "TV". If you mean Spotify, Hulu Plus, and Netflix, like I said, they're not ever going to use something like this.

With the Chrome App Store and those services, Google is only handling credit card processing. All the rest would still be handled by those companies. Why wouldn't they just use Paypal, Google Checkout, or their own credit card processing and eat the ~5%?
Well it's not just handling the processing, I presume you would also be able to manage your subscriptions more easily from one place (if these things take off). Also people may be more willing to spend in a google store as they know their details aren't going out to any dodgy companies, and they're already typed in. You may also get an inbuilt refund system, as with the Android Market.

You might not be able to see the advantage of doing it this way, but it's also difficult to see the disadvantage to me.

p.s. Spotify web app would be brilliant, the client has gone shite.

Vanillalite

Dreams-Visions said:
yes, that's what I was getting at.

in order for a laptop of this kind to play anything more impressive than Hexic HD, the services of someone like OnLive would be necessary to meet the needs. Until now, OnLive has felt like a solution in search of a problem...but now the problem has arrived and OnLive may be the perfect compliment.

No?
Read my OnLive thread I posted. Engadget has an article about how OnLive showed just that idea today at the big mobile thing. Engadget has a pic of fucking Maya running on an ipad for god sakes. With the current chrome idea your still capped at what your device can do which varries wildly if your on a desktop laptop netbook tablet smartphone settop box ECT....

Brettison said:
Read my OnLive thread I posted. Engadget has an article about how OnLive showed just that idea today at the big mobile thing. Engadget has a pic of fucking Maya running on an ipad for god sakes. With the current chrome idea your still capped at what your device can do which varries wildly if your on a desktop laptop netbook tablet smartphone settop box ECT....

I think Dream is trying to say is that OnLive can be encompassed into Chrome, that way Maya and other programs will work under Chrome and the companies don't have to worry about developing a version of software that plays nice with Chrome.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have no idea how they're calculating "Top Extensions" on the main page of the Web App Store. Adblock is a commanding #1 most popular extension, Gmail Notifier/Checker/whatever is an easy #2. Neither show up in "Top extensions".

I thought it might be based on user votes, but if it is, it's obviously not doing any Bayesian weighting, because Adblock has 4.5 stars on 6,500 votes, and there's plenty of 4.5 star extensions listed with 500 or fewer votes.

What's weird is that once you click on extensions, you get "Popular Extensions", which is based on number of installs. *shrug*

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
anyone noticing really horrible font rendering with the NYT webapp? the texts looks janky and muddy on my dev-channel Chromium installation.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
scorcho said:
anyone noticing really horrible font rendering with the NYT webapp? the texts looks janky and muddy on my dev-channel Chromium installation.

Yes it definitely looks awful. Actually a few of the Chrome Web Store web apps I tried had really bad font rendering. I'm beta-channel Chrome (although I guess the beta version is the same as the current release version) on W7 and WXP. I also run Chrome on OSX but haven't seen any of the web apps on it yet.

tabsina

Seems to me the webstore is currently more about discovering web apps than providing new content.. i'm hoping that'll change - tweetdeck, for instance, seems to be a good example of what the webapps could be

in terms of gaming, i'd like to see the games offered start using google login, that way a session can be restored from another computer - i shouldn't have to start plants v zombies again because i moved over to my computer from my laptop

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Ok, so this is driving me crazy.
How do I get the equivalent of this in Chrome?
WLKle.png

Being able to switch what search engine I use on the fly is a key part of my browsing experience.

I've been reading their "how to search" readmes for like a half hour now and haven't been able to figure it out.

I'm aware you can change the default engine to anything you want, but that is way too many steps to be doing every few seconds when I want to hop to youtube or wikipedia or search gaf.

Angelus Errare said:
I think Dream is trying to say is that OnLive can be encompassed into Chrome, that way Maya and other programs will work under Chrome and the companies don't have to worry about developing a version of software that plays nice with Chrome.
yes, that's what I was trying to say. thanks.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jtwo said:
WLKle.png

Being able to switch what search engine I use on the fly is a key part of my browsing experience.

I've been reading their "how to search" readmes for like a half hour now and haven't been able to figure it out.

I'm aware you can change the default engine to anything you want, but that is way too many steps to be doing every few seconds when I want to hop to youtube or wikipedia or search gaf.

Settings -> Basics -> Search Engines -> Manage

Look at the keyword listed. Use the keyword to search a non-default search engine.

For example, I can type the following into my URL bar:
amazon inception blu ray
wiki farts
youtube cute kitten
ebay titanic poster

Change the keyword to whatever you want, and tada! I think the default is to use the domain name as the keyword, but I renamed it to just the site name as in my examples.

Jtwo said:
WLKle.png

In Chrome, if you visit Wikipedia a couple of times and search in the box, the omnibar stores that information. Next time, you can type 'Wiki' (or even just 'W' if you don't visit too many sites that start with 'W') and hit tab, the omnibar becomes a search bar for Wikipedia.

Xrenity

Jtwo said:
http://i.imgur.com/WLKle.png

Dude, try typing you and press tab :)
This works for lots of sites you've searched on at least once :)

Edit;
Wow beaten twice

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
thanks!

cool, so I have youtube set to yt, wikipedia set to wik, etc..
Just gotta remember the keywords I set!

One more question, guys. How to do I search gaf from the toolbar?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I know that, but is there anyway to map it to a keyword?

Jasoco

Banned
Dreams-Visions said:
good job!

so the cpu usage is greatly lessened?
Okay. I got some time to do a simple test of 10.1 vs. 10.2 of Flash and I am happy to announce that yes, 10.2 uses 66% less CPU on average when playing videos.

I tested it with a 720p video on YouTube of IGN's Donkey Kong Country Returns review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctijgmv_G3k

With 10.1 I was using about 60% on average of my CPU when in the "larger" video size. With 10.2 I was using only about 20% CPU.

I switched back and forth a few times and got the same results. For all intents and purposes, Flash 10.2 beta is much better with HD video or video in general than 10.1 is.

I am on a 13" MacBook Pro (2010) with a NVIDIA GeForce 320M (256MB). Granted I also have 8GB RAM and a 128GB SSD, but that shouldn't affect the Flash video.

Fatalah

So I installed the Grooveshark app from the webstore, but I have one important question:

How do I begin using it?! I have no idea how to launch it!

Update: Nevermind! I didn't realize new apps get placed on new Tabs.

Futureman

Jasoco, do you have to manually install 10.2 beta, or does it come automatically with Chrome?

I'm on a MacBook Pro, and after about a minute of watching YouTube videos, the fan goes into overdrive. Did you fan always come on with 10.1, and is it still coming on with 10.2?

Futureman

I just searched for a word and I realized that Chrome makes a little indication on the scrollbar where each instance of the word shows up.

Handy as heck. Damn I love Chrome.

Jasoco said:
Okay. I got some time to do a simple test of 10.1 vs. 10.2 of Flash and I am happy to announce that yes, 10.2 uses 66% less CPU on average when playing videos.

I tested it with a 720p video on YouTube of IGN's Donkey Kong Country Returns review.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctijgmv_G3k

With 10.1 I was using about 60% on average of my CPU when in the "larger" video size. With 10.2 I was using only about 20% CPU.

I switched back and forth a few times and got the same results. For all intents and purposes, Flash 10.2 beta is much better with HD video or video in general than 10.1 is.

I am on a 13" MacBook Pro (2010) with a NVIDIA GeForce 320M (256MB). Granted I also have 8GB RAM and a 128GB SSD, but that shouldn't affect the Flash video.
unfortunately, I didn't have the same experience. temperatures on my MBP (2010, 330M 512, 8GB Ram, 160GB SSD + 640GB HDD) sky-rocketed up into the mid-high 90s on streaming flash video as usual. Heavy CPU usage.

Switched back to Opera and temperatures (and CPU usage) was significantly less.

Maybe I did something wrong, but I did right-click on the Flash stream to ensure it was the latest beta. idk. would you mind listing your steps?

Man, I can't download anything from the extension page. Got a new netbook today so I wanted to get my extensions but I couldn't.

All the time.

Vanillalite

I know some of it's just links and all, but damn some of the web app stuff like tweetdeck is ball'n son.

I don't know if I would have said this 6 months ago, but I truly believe now I feel like Mozilla and Firefox is a generation behind Google and Chrome.

torontoml

Having a little trouble with scrolling using my touchpad in Chrome only, works everywhere else. I can scroll down, but it won't let me scroll up, I'm using the dev version of chrome version 9.0.597.15 if that helps. Tried looking around but all I found was stuff for really early versions of chrome, saying it had been fixed.

torontoml said:
Having a little trouble with scrolling using my touchpad in Chrome only, works everywhere else. I can scroll down, but it won't let me scroll up, I'm using the dev version of chrome version 9.0.597.15 if that helps. Tried looking around but all I found was stuff for really early versions of chrome, saying it had been fixed.
Yeah, Chrome updated for me this morning automatically and scrolling is entirely broken for me as well.

Checking Twitter has revealed that we are not the only ones and that this is certainly some sort of bug.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
torontoml said:

have the exact same problem. I thought my mouse was broken.

somebody had already opened a bug report: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=66071

:(

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Well you could just not use the dev version anymore. You get what you ask for.

true but you don't expect it to break something like mouse scrolling. What is this, 1994?

Threi

notag
why even bother using the dev version at all anymore?

Just use the stable version, and if you want a "look into the future" install the canary build as well.

tirminyl

torontoml said:

There is a known issue with this most recent dev version that they stated a fix is coming for soon. It's so annoying though :lol

Top Bottom