• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Jasoco

Banned
Jayayess1190 said:
See here. An explanation of the four channels. I downgraded from Dev to Beta, Dev is great but got a little to unstable for me.
I dunno. I find the current Dev pretty good.

I just wish they'd fix the damn "Flash steals hotkey focus" bug. Yes, it's a fucking bug because it should never steal my ability to open new tabs, close current tabs, go back or forward or anything else. These are supposed to be global hotkeys that work from anywhere in the browser. But when Flash is focused, you can't press Command+W or Command+T to close or open new tabs. The end user is left wondering why the commands they're trying to perform aren't working. Also, it steals scrolling too on certain flash files, like most YouTube videos. If you're scrolling down a page and your mouse hits one of these Flash videos, the scrolling stops abruptly with no warning or explanation. It all started months ago and hasn't been fixed. If anyone thinks it's a feature, they're wrong. It's the worst "feature" anyone ever though up if it is and they should be shot out of a cannon into the sun. I shouldn't switch to a tab and immediately get stuck because the flash video happened to be focused. Especially since there's no visual indication that the Flash video is focused so you are left wondering why it's no longer working.

Jasoco said:

I just wish they'd fix the damn "Flash steals hotkey focus" bug. Yes, it's a fucking bug because it should never steal my ability to open new tabs, close current tabs, go back or forward or anything else. These are supposed to be global hotkeys that work from anywhere in the browser. But when Flash is focused, you can't press Command+W or Command+T to close or open new tabs. The end user is left wondering why the commands they're trying to perform aren't working. Also, it steals scrolling too on certain flash files, like most YouTube videos. If you're scrolling down a page and your mouse hits one of these Flash videos, the scrolling stops abruptly with no warning or explanation. It all started months ago and hasn't been fixed. If anyone thinks it's a feature, they're wrong. It's the worst "feature" anyone ever though up if it is and they should be shot out of a cannon into the sun. I shouldn't switch to a tab and immediately get stuck because the flash video happened to be focused. Especially since there's no visual indication that the Flash video is focused so you are left wondering why it's no longer working.
It's Adobe's problem.

Jasoco said:

Well I had problems with add on's and clicking them they wouldn't open the full way the first time, and then when I had aero peek enabled Chrome wouldn't even open, it would just crash.

Zeppu

I'm on dev as well. Updates tend to be incredibly frequent and so anything which would hinder usability is usually fixed the next day (like the mouse scroll up problem we had last week).

Best part of it all is that the updates are seamless and you don't get any fanfare. Just occasionally restart the browser and all is good. Everything, always, should be like that.

Jasoco said:
No other browser does it. Wouldn't that make it Google's problem?
The thing where it stops your scrolling is either a browser or a content creator thing. I remember Firefox used to have it and they fixed it. I also remember how some versions of sIFR Flash-replaced fonts did this, but they fixed it.

But Flash stealing your focus and keyboard shortcuts happens in every browser. Flash isn't a part of the web, it's a plug-in that's hanging out in a webpage trying to act like it belongs there.

When does google finally implement the option to directly open a file without having to manually save it first? Is it so hard to implement a feature that has been part of other browsers for years?

PjotrStroganov said:
When does google finally implement the option to directly open a file without having to manually save it first? Is it so hard to implement a feature that has been part of other browsers for years?
Lack of difficulty isn't a prerequisite for a feature. It's probably a design choice.

ySde3.gif

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
PjotrStroganov said:

other browser do the same thing as chrome but they put in your temp folder so you don't see it.

Zeppu

PjotrStroganov said:

Click on the whole thing in the status bar below and it will open upon completion. The only difference from any other browser is that the download starts immediately (so one click anyway) and once it's done you know where the file is.

Jasoco

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
But Flash stealing your focus and keyboard shortcuts happens in every browser. Flash isn't a part of the web, it's a plug-in that's hanging out in a webpage trying to act like it belongs there.
Incorrect. I just tested it. Firefox doesn't steal your ability to use hot keys. It is a bug in Chrome. Not a general problem with Flash and browsers overall.

No, now I tested it in Safari. Safari also steals scrolling focus, but doesn't seem to steal hot key ability.

So basically, every browser has a problem with Flash. Fucking Flash. Why won't it die already?

Anyway, Safari has a neat YouTube5 extension and I just found someone created a Chrome version so I'm trying that out.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Brian Kennish has released a great extension that blocks all those stupid Facebook, twitter, digg etc widgets from tracking you

http://www.disconnectere.com/

If you’re a typical web user, you’re unintentionally sending your browsing and search history with your name and other personal information to third parties and search engines whenever you’re online.

Take control of the data you share with Disconnect!

install it -> https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/jeoacafpbcihiomhlakheieifhpjdfeo

Pctx

Banned
Hey guys,

I switched over my main laptop to Ubuntu (and using Virtual Box for Win7) and the font that comes by default in Chrome is really, really tiny.

Now I found the font area and tweaks to it, but I'm curious if anyone knew what either the Windows version or Mac version font type was?

Pctx said:
Hey guys,

I switched over my main laptop to Ubuntu (and using Virtual Box for Win7) and the font that comes by default in Chrome is really, really tiny.

Now I found the font area and tweaks to it, but I'm curious if anyone knew what either the Windows version or Mac version font type was?

Hope this helps, Windows version.

http://i.min.us/jdoWUw.png

josephdebono said:
Click on the whole thing in the status bar below and it will open upon completion. The only difference from any other browser is that the download starts immediately (so one click anyway) and once it's done you know where the file is.

Isn't that the reason why many extensions are so popular? To minimize the amount of clicks to get something done? Streamlining the experience?

D4Danger said:
other browser do the same thing as chrome but they put in your temp folder so you don't see it.

Minus a button click. It's handy when downloading small files like torrents. I don't want to click them again because the only action for me should be opening up the utorrent screen.

Using the Canary Build here on 64-bit Windows 7: lately when I open a page with a flash embedded video it's common for half of it to be cut off. Usually it's the bottom half of the video, with no access to controls or such. Anyone else have this problem?

Jasoco

Banned
Koroshi said:
Does anyone know the fonts I can use on Google Chrome to make web browsing exactly like the Mac's font?
Are you on Windows or Linux? Are you on OS X? Are you talking about the font itself? Or the smoothing?

If it's the font, OS X's system font is Lucida Sans or Lucida Grande.

If it's the smoothing, you're gonna need to use OS X. Windows and Linux use completely different font smoothing types.

kaskade said:
Has anyone been using chrome for a cause? https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/bbfammmagchhaohncbhghoohcfoeckdi

Every tab you opens contributes to the cause of your choosing. This is going on until the 19th.
Yes. Pretty cool.

Jasoco said:
Are you on Windows or Linux? Are you on OS X? Are you talking about the font itself? Or the smoothing?

If it's the font, OS X's system font is Lucida Sans or Lucida Grande.

If it's the smoothing, you're gonna need to use OS X. Windows and Linux use completely different font smoothing types.

Yes. Pretty cool.
I'm on Windows. I'm just talking about the actual font that the Macs use. You know, how their fonts while browsing the internet look totally different than a PC's font. I'm a huge fan of it.

Jasoco

Banned
Lucida. I think the one OS X uses is a custom made one based on another Lucida font. You can probably find either it or a clone somewhere on the Googles. Just search for it with a search engine like Bing or something.

Though, don't sites just use their own fonts? Are you sure you're talking about the face and not the smoothing? (Antialiasing)

Jasoco said:
Lucida. I think the one OS X uses is a custom made one based on another Lucida font. You can probably find either it or a clone somewhere on the Googles. Just search for it with a search engine like Bing or something.

Though, don't sites just use their own fonts? Are you sure you're talking about the face and not the smoothing? (Antialiasing)
This is what I'm talking about. Notice the different fonts.

1) Windows font
p8UuB.png

2) Mac font
MX5lj.png

Jasoco

Banned
Yes. FaceBook uses Lucida Grande.

In this order, FaceBook looks for the following fonts:

Code:
font-family: "lucida grande", tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif

Lucida Grande is an OS X specific font. Since WIndows doesn't include it by default, it falls back to Tahoma, which is probably what you are seeing. The FB people do this to make the site seem more at home on your computer. (Personally I just change it to Helvetica Neue via Personalized Web.)

If you can find Lucida Grande and install it, FaceBook SHOULD change to it on your computer. I would give it to you but it's a TCC file and Windows (I am testing it in VirtualBox) won't recognize it. Someone might have created a TTF clone of it but I dunno. It would have to be the same name or FaceBook still wouldn't recognize it, so you'd have to use a custom stylesheet to replace the fonts FaceBook uses. It's all complicated. Basically, if you can find a font with the same name and install it, it will work. Maybe there's even a TCC converter out there?

Edit: Oh, well, Googling "Lucida Grande TTF" seems to give you the link you so need to see.

By the way, if you install Safari for Windows, it will also install Lucida Grande. Apparently.

The only problem is it seems to cause problems with those little circle dots FaceBook uses to separate links. They show up as boxes.

Warning: It will not look as elegant due to Windows' different font rendering styles and the fact that the Lucida Grande font is made specifically for OS X's smoothing:
mjtz52.jpg

Jasoco

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
He wants the antialiasing and typographic box model of OSX. The only way to get it in Windows is to use Safari.
Yeah. You can replace the font, but you aren't going to get OS X style rendering in Chrome. Safari forces the OS X style in itself, but Chrome and other Windows browsers use normal Windows rendering.
Edit: On second thought, are you sure Safari on Windows uses the OS X smoothing? I just installed it to test it and it used the same old Windows smoothing...

Edit: Here's a story on just the subject. Give it a read, Koroshi:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html

Personally, I can't STAND Windows' rendering style, it actually hurts my eyes. OS X is so much easier on them. And surprisingly, even Linux seems smooth to me. (And by extension, ChromeOS which is based on it.)

Ballistik

I need help. Since yesterday, Chrome has stopped working for me, it doesn't load any websites at all. I really have no idea what might have caused this and seems like it's just me. Strangely, when I'm in incognito mode though, it works. Now I'm using Opera until I get this fixed.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Ballistik said:
I need help. Since yesterday, Chrome has stopped working for me, it doesn't load any websites at all. I really have no idea what might have caused this and seems like it's just me. Strangely, when I'm in incognito mode though, it works. Now I'm using Opera until I get this fixed.

maybe it's an extension that causing the problem. They don't work in incognito mode by default so that might be why you're not seeing the problem there.

Ballistik said:

I've had this happen to me before. Removing an add-in (don't remember which one) fixed the issue.

Ballistik

D4Danger said:
maybe it's an extension that causing the problem. They don't work in incognito mode by default so that might be why you're not seeing the problem there.
Okay well I just disabled all of them, and restarted the browser. Hit google and it loaded... halfway (didn't load the logo) before it kept loading the page forever. Restarted and it's still not loading anything.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Suddenly having a weird problem with Chrome... you know how you can type a website into the address bar like amazon.com or imdb.com, press space, and any text after that will automatically turn the address bar into a search box for that website? Well ever since last night whenever I put in 'amazon.com' and then something to search for, it turns it into a search box for Facebook, not amazon.com

46IBs.jpg

--->

kVlLW.jpg

What the fuck?

tirminyl

demon said:
Suddenly having a weird problem with Chrome... you know how you can type a website into the address bar like amazon.com or imdb.com, press space, and any text after that will automatically turn the address bar into a search box for that website? Well ever since last night whenever I put in 'amazon.com' and then something to search for, it turns it into a search box for Facebook, not amazon.com

What the fuck?

Weird. Right click in the omnibox and go to edit search engines and make sure the keywords didn't get messed up.

demon

tirminyl said:
Weird. Right click in the omnibox and go to edit search engines and make sure the keywords didn't get messed up.
Yup, lo and behold the amazon one is messed up. Didn't even think of right-clicking that box.

So what do I use for the amazon search url?

demon

can someone just copy and paste what they have for their amazon.com omnibox url?

wP6xt.jpg

Threi

notag
seems that adthwart is now called adblock plus, despite the fact that there is already an adblock extension for chrome

o_O

Fatalah

Threi said:
seems that adthwart is now called adblock plus, despite the fact that there is already an adblock extension for chrome

o_O

Oh sweet. Looks to be just a beta right now, but I can't wait for ABP to be as good as Firefox's.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Threi said:

o_O

It looks like the guy who made the original AdBlock for Firefox has taken over AdThwart

https://adblockplus.org/blog/adblock-plus-for-google-chrome-to-be-released-soon

For a while my official position on Adblock Plus for non-Gecko browsers read like this:

Forget it, I am not writing Adblock Plus from scratch just to support your favorite browser (be it Chrome or Safari or Opera or Internet Explorer). And even if somebody gives me the code — I am not going to maintain two unrelated projects. This asks for an independent project and in fact, there are already independent projects to implement ad blocking for all of these browsers.​

As you can read from this, the frequent requests to port Adblock Plus to <insert your favorite browser here> got quite annoying. Still, it is time to change this position, we are starting to look into ways to cover other browsers than Firefox and SeaMonkey. And we are starting with Google Chrome, a beta version of Adblock Plus for Google Chrome is scheduled to be released soon. I’ll try to give answers to some questions that you are certainly urging to ask.

So AdThwart is now the real AdBlock

Pctx

Banned
Anyone else having their Canary builds crap out on them? Mine is auto-re-opening and crashing every 2-3 seconds. Probably an extension gone wrong.

Top Bottom