• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
i'm loving, LOVING the NYT webapp, but find that performance is much better (though a bit buggy) on Firefox 4 and IE9 on Windows thanks to hw graphics acceleration. hoping that Chrome optimizes their 3D code on both Windows and Mac soon.

quaere

Anyone else can't sync? I just reinstalled a computer and Chrome is giving me "Error signing in".

Edit: never mind. In case anyone ever has this problem, check that your computer has the correct date. Chrome can't sync if it is off.

Tokubetsu

Why is my bookmark bar now on the blank tab (apps, most visited etc.) page and not below my address bar all the time?

Jasoco

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Why is my bookmark bar now on the blank tab (apps, most visited etc.) page and not below my address bar all the time?
Did you accidentally turn it off? Should be under the Tools menu in the wrench button. (Or the View menu if you have an actual menubar and are on OS X.)

Tokubetsu

Jasoco said:
Did you accidentally turn it off? Should be under the Tools menu in the wrench button. (Or the View menu if you have an actual menubar and are on OS X.)

I figured it. Synch was messed up and logged me out for some reasn.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
aswedc said:
Anyone else can't sync? I just reinstalled a computer and Chrome is giving me "Error signing in".

Edit: never mind. In case anyone ever has this problem, check that your computer has the correct date. Chrome can't sync if it is off.

I have the same problem, but my date is correct.

edit: solved with a restart of my mac

Tf53

Hey guys, I'm trying to switch completely over to RockMelt, but there's one thing I'm looking to find. I used to use Opera, and I had 1 and 2 as shortcuts for next/previous tab. RockMelt (chromium-based as it is) won't let me do that in any easy manner (in Opera, it was context-sensitive, so that when I started typing, it wouldn't change the tab). However, I've thought of a workaround. The +number shortcut is handy, but I'd love to see which tab is which at a glance. So, my question is:

also, tl;dr:

Is there an extension that will tag each tab with its corresponding number (the leftmost with 1, the next one as 2 etc.)?

Weaselred

So I love Chrome and all but one feature that I miss so much from FF is the ability to have smart downloads.

For example: I see a gif I like, Click save as and it downloads it to my pictures folder. Then when I go to download an exe or torrent file it automagically sends it to my designated downloads file without any extra work from me. Is there an extension/way to do this with Chrome because as far as I can tell it just asks me where to send it with the default option being the last place I downloaded something to.

PacoDG

Apologies, but it is hard to search through this thread, but I swear in this one (maybe it was the other Chrome OS thread), there was a working link for an install.

I have a laptop I'd like to fuck around with tonight, just wanted to make sure I would be using a new install file is all. Thanks for any help, it is appreciated.

asa said:
Is there a Chrome extension similar to this? take me to this url 1.3

I tried searching the chrome web store but didn't find anything. Ironically it's kinda hard to find anything from Google web store :lol

If you highlight text and hit Right-Click, the context menu has an option to search for that text on Google.

If you highlight a URL instead and hit Right-Click, that context menu option changes to Visit 'selected URL'.

asa

whatsinaname said:
If you highlight text and hit Right-Click, the context menu has an option to search for that text on Google.

If you highlight a URL instead and hit Right-Click, that context menu option changes to Visit 'selected URL'.

oh, dummy me, thank you :) This was posted with Chrome. Can't wait for Google OS

Jasoco

Banned
I downloaded the latest Dev build last night like I do every couple weeks or so since the auto-update function has been broken for months. Now I'm on Chrome 10. Nothing special that I can see yet, the updater is still fucked up. Haven't looked in about:flags though.

Jasoco

Banned
Chrome? You are incorrect. Chrome is the cleanest, nicest built from the ground up browser. Safari is second, but only because it has the Apple charm. And Firefox is third. Opera is next with IE being distant fifth place at the bottom of the ladder. Chrome is beautiful. It's simple. Anyone who thinks it's "ugly" needs to get their eyes checked and reevaluate what "ugly" is. Seriously!

Tf53

Tf53 said:
Hey guys, I'm trying to switch completely over to RockMelt, but there's one thing I'm looking to find. I used to use Opera, and I had 1 and 2 as shortcuts for next/previous tab. RockMelt (chromium-based as it is) won't let me do that in any easy manner (in Opera, it was context-sensitive, so that when I started typing, it wouldn't change the tab). However, I've thought of a workaround. The +number shortcut is handy, but I'd love to see which tab is which at a glance. So, my question is:

also, tl;dr:

Is there an extension that will tag each tab with its corresponding number (the leftmost with 1, the next one as 2 etc.)?
Anyone?

Jasoco

Banned
Don't really see any new features in about:flags in the 10.0 Dev build except experimental location features which apparently uses the OS' built-in location feature when available. Other than that... What exactly makes this worth a whole number upgrade? Are they just trying to catch up to Opera or something? Put FireFox as far behind as possible? I dunno.

Jasoco

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Version numbers are arbitrary and no one cares. They increment when they add a feature, minor or major.
Just seems weird. Like I assume by next December I'll be on Chrome 15.0 or something. If not higher.

Yeah, but the browser auto-updates in the background, so everyone's always on the latest version. It's just "Google Chrome," not like "Internet Explorer 9." I like that ideology. I think they just increment the main version number on every new little thing to make it easier to remember.

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah, but the browser auto-updates in the background, so everyone's always on the latest version. It's just "Google Chrome," not like "Internet Explorer 9." I like that ideology. I think they just increment the main version number on every new little thing to make it easier to remember.
No it doesn't. Mine hasn't updated itself in months. It did twice, or three times total. It was awesome. Seamless, no interruptions, it just worked.

But now it doesn't update at all. Ever. I find myself having to go to the site with the Beta's and Dev's and downloading it hoping it's updated. Because the page doesn't say what the most recent version is.

Google needs to get their updater working perfectly. They should just use Sparkle on OS X.

Jasoco said:
No it doesn't. Mine hasn't updated itself in months. It did twice, or three times total. It was awesome. Seamless, no interruptions, it just worked.

But now it doesn't update at all. Ever. I find myself having to go to the site with the Beta's and Dev's and downloading it hoping it's updated. Because the page doesn't say what the most recent version is.

Google needs to get their updater working perfectly. They should just use Sparkle on OS X.
Yeah this is true. It's busted on Mac.

Jasoco

Banned
Charred Greyface said:
The chrome browser tab is ugly. I hate that others are copying that design. :/
I think they look the nicest of all the browsers. The only thing I'd change about the top area would be to allow me to move the Bookmarks bar next to the Address Box. Or at least put a Bookmarks button there next to the Tools. At least on the ChromeOS where it's needed. (Seriously, no Bookmarks menu on ChromeOS? WTF?)
Yeah this is true. It's busted on Mac.
Bah. How? How hard is it to fix this? Just switch to Sparkle for Pete's sake if it's so hard!

Jasoco

Banned
aswedc said:
The Chrome Wikipedia page always has the latest build numbers for all of the channels.
I'll keep that in mind for next time before I download a version just to find out it's the same one I already have.

waynej506

I'm on a macbook and my tab overview 3 swipe isn't working after I enabled and restarted chrome, anyone have a idea why?

Jasoco

Banned
waynej506 said:
I'm on a macbook and my tab overview 3 swipe isn't working after I enabled and restarted chrome, anyone have a idea why?
Make sure it still works by pressing Control+Command+T. If it still works with that then something is overriding your swipe. Personally I use three fingers up and down for Home and End and three finger left for Control+Command+T to show overview.

$200 said:
Version 8 already? Isn't that number going up a bit too quickly?
I'm on 10. You're way behind.

Jasoco said:
Make sure it still works by pressing Control+Command+T. If it still works with that then something is overriding your swipe. Personally I use three fingers up and down for Home and End and three finger left for Control+Command+T to show overview.

I'm on 10. You're way behind.

Sync's yet to be fixed though. Luckily they're working on it.

tabsina

Jasoco said:
Sync works fine for me. Well, on OS X. Is it broken?

Apparently (I just found out, from the posts higher up on this page) it has been causing the Chrome Canary crash that would happen every time you tried to boot it..

I just reinstalled Canary, and it opened fine - as soon as I tried to sync it crashed again (I hadn't even selected what I wanted to sync yet, so the setting didn't hold)

EDIT1: I'm on Windows 7, by the way, using MSE 2.0 (which is apparently what causes the crash)

It works fine in beta (v9.0), but I won't be trying dev build, so I don't know if it works there

EDIT 2: There are some new flags in canary (that aren't on beta) - are these in the dev build?
- Experimental location features
Enables experimental extensions to the geolocation feature. Includes using operating system location APIs (where available), and sending additional local network configuration data to the Google location service to provide higher accuracy positioning.

- Instant Type
Configures the behavior of instant.
(Drop down list)
-- Verbatim
-- Predictive
-- Predictive no autocomplete

Jasoco

Banned
tabsina said:
EDIT 2: There are some new flags in canary (that aren't on beta) - are these in the dev build?
- Experimental location features
Enables experimental extensions to the geolocation feature. Includes using operating system location APIs (where available), and sending additional local network configuration data to the Google location service to provide higher accuracy positioning.

- Instant Type
Configures the behavior of instant.
(Drop down list)
-- Verbatim
-- Predictive
-- Predictive no autocomplete
Location is in the 10.0 Dev. But the Instant Type is not.

Jasoco

Banned
josephdebono said:
about:flags
Why are you telling me? I know where they are. That's where I looked. The second Canary feature is not in the 10.0 Dev. Dev does have a "Disable hyperlink auditing" option too. Not sure what it does if you enable it.

Zeppu

n9WTo.png

Jasoco

Banned
josephdebono said:
Ah okay then. Is it still 10.0.612.3 though?
Edited my post above. Yes, it is, and you can see the stupid "There is an update available!" bug in the About window.

Also, I swear 9.0 Dev had that 2D Acceleration option. Where'd it go in OS X?

Zeppu

I'm subscribed to the RSS feed of this:

googlechromereleases.blogspot.com

but it just tells me what's new usually doesn't inform when stuff gets taken out.

In fact it doesn't even mention that they put the instant type with added options.

mollipen

Chrome has the wrong password saved to autofill for my Twitter account. As soon as I put in my username, the password fills in, both text boxes are yellow, and I can't edit them in any way. Trying to put in password first, and then user name just causes it to "correct" the password.

Cleared out all of my personal data. Chrome say I have four sites with saved autofill info, none of which are the Twitter site.

Any advice for this?

DonMigs85

I'm on Chrome 10.0.628 and it always prompts me to "Restart Chrome to finish updating" when I click on "About Google Chrome". Anybody else have this bug?

Jasoco

Banned
DonMigs85 said:
I'm on Chrome 10.0.628 and it always prompts me to "Restart Chrome to finish updating" when I click on "About Google Chrome". Anybody else have this bug?
Just as bad as my bug where it always says there's an update but then says "Update Server Not Available" every single time. The Chrome people do NOT know how to make a decent automatic updater. Even though there are perfectly working frameworks out there that they could use.

Top Bottom