• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

DonMigs85 said:
I'm on Chrome 10.0.628 and it always prompts me to "Restart Chrome to finish updating" when I click on "About Google Chrome". Anybody else have this bug?

I just got that message, restarted it and it updated fine. So dunno what to tell ya. Maybe it's working now?

Threi

notag
Chrome apps/widgets + Chrome App Shortcuts = Bliss.

Even if it's just a clickable link, the way chrome does it so nice. It works seperate from the main browser (it shows up in your taskbar as it's own application), any links opens up the main browser. I originally just used it for gmail but it works for a lot of other stuff as well.

Jasoco

Banned
Just want to post an observation about the current state of browsers..

I really like the way Chrome handles organization of your bookmarks. It handles it a bit different than all other browsers.

All bookmarks in the Bookmarks Bar are displayed directly in the Bookmarks menu on Chrome. (Which is only really available in OS X since the menu bar is always visible.) While in Firefox, Safari and even Internet Explorer, the Bookmarks Bar has its own sub-menu.

Other bookmarks in Chrome (Unsorted ones that have no home yet) are placed in a sub-menu called "Other Bookmarks", whereas in other browsers, they are displayed immediately in the Bookmarks/Favorites menu UNDER the Bookmarks Bar/Favorites Bar list item.

I like how Chrome does it for one reason. If you have a million bookmarks in the unsorted section, in other browsers it fills the direct menu with all of these bookmarks. For the illustration below, I removed all these bookmarks and placed them in my own "Unsorted" folder. But trust me, it is full when you don't.

ncgqj6.jpg

IMHO, Chrome makes it much cleaner if you don't like having a Bookmarks Bar visible (Like me) but still want to use a menu. I really don't like diving down into menus when I don't need to. And Chrome makes it one less menu to dive into.

Also, I wanted to say that using a combination of Chrome Sync and Xmarks makes it so amazing to have everything everywhere. Even on my iPod touch I can access my bookmarks either from Safari (Which has synced via Xmarks and then to the iPod) or the Xmarks home screen bookmark icon. I tried for years to get everything synced. Now I have it all and I'm so happy.

I use Chrome 95% of the time. But it's nice that the one 5% I need to use something else (iPod, another computer) I can access all my stuff one way or another.

Also, I find it humorous that even after all these years, IE is the only one that refers to them as Favorites. Since Bookmarks was a Mozilla/Netscape term way back then. IMHO, Bookmarks makes more sense than Favorites which can refer to many things and confuse people if a site also has "favorites".

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I completely agree! The Chrome bookmark bar to the layman may not seem very different, but it's actually a pretty different way at getting at bookmarks. My problem is I can't stop shuffling my sites around, getting them in their "logical" places. :p

Jasoco

Banned
Andrex said:
I completely agree! The Chrome bookmark bar to the layman may not seem very different, but it's actually a pretty different way at getting at bookmarks. My problem is I can't stop shuffling my sites around, getting them in their "logical" places. :p
I think Chrome needs a Bookmarks menu button for versions on OS' that don't have a forced menu bar. Like Windows and Chrome OS. If you are on OS X, and don't like the bar, it's fine because you still have a bookmarks menu that will always be there. But on Windows or Chrome OS where it could be useful, there's no menu. So you either have to use the bar or open the manager. Or use a clunky extension.

I swear early Chrome versions had one next to the Tools menu way back in the early days of Chrome.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jasoco said:
I think Chrome needs a Bookmarks menu button for versions on OS' that don't have a forced menu bar. Like Windows and Chrome OS. If you are on OS X, and don't like the bar, it's fine because you still have a bookmarks menu that will always be there. But on Windows or Chrome OS where it could be useful, there's no menu. So you either have to use the bar or open the manager. Or use a clunky extension.

I swear early Chrome versions had one next to the Tools menu way back in the early days of Chrome.

I have always thought the same, Chrome needs to (and did, I think?) have a bookmarks button next to the wrench. With the Page button out of the way now is the perfect time.

But I think the Chrome devs just assume everyone has the bookmarks bar enabled. I have encountered weird page rendering issues all the time, where the bottom ~30px of a page is white for a split second, or even permanently until I resize the browser window manually. And also, the bookmarks bar disappears constantly on the new tab page and only Ctrl+Shift+B will bring it back.

Should probably file a bug report...

Jasoco

Banned
I find the bookmarks bar an unnecessary and wasteful toolbar when I can just use the bar in the New Tab page (In Vanilla Chrome) or the Bookmarks menu to access my bookmarks. I use New Tab all the time. I have it set up to my most used sites via a custom extension I made myself, so it doesn't have a bookmarks bar on it, so I use the menu. But in Chrome OS or Windows, I don't have that same Bookmarks menu luxury, so a button would be useful.

You can't just enable the bar on those other platforms because if you have Sync enabled, it just ends up turning it on on all the browsers including the ones you don't WANT it enabled. I'd be much happier with just a button. I can't even install an extension to give me a makeshift bookmarks menu because once again, it gets synced to all the other platforms. Including once again, the ones where I don't need it enabled.

The Chrome toolbar has a vast amount of space available for stuff. Since it smartly dumps the outdated paradigm of having a separate search box (Which I can't live without BTW. One reason I hate using any other browser anywhere.) it has a bunch of space for whatever. Right now I have a line of custom extensions, Chrome to iPhone and Xmarks next to my Tools wrench. With plenty of space for more...
2lj1ba8.jpg

A NeoGaf extension that when clicked pops up a popup with Off Topic, Gaming, Subscriptions and a list of all currently opened NeoGaf tabs
A Twitter extension that simply opens Twitter
One for FaceBook too
Site to iPhone
Xmarks
And the toolbar version of my own custom Launch Pad that displays the same links in a popup instead.

But each one uses its own system resources. (Not much thankfully) And you can't create an extension that has more than one button. So in order to have a middle ground between clickable favorites on screen and a menu of favorites, I have a few custom extensions that take me to the most used of my most used sites. Sadly, Chrome does not sync custom unpacked extensions. I'd have to submit them to the Chrome store, but I don't see a reason to. They're not for public consumption. (I was able to get them onto the Cr-48 though through a cool trick involving Web Sharing, the File Manager on the Cr-48 and Chrome's "Load unpacked extension" feature.)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Someone should

or maybe I will

make an extension that adds the smiley buttons back on the right of the new post box.

And when clicked, they insert an

Gui_PT

Andrex said:
Someone should

or maybe I will

make an extension that adds the smiley buttons back on the right of the new post box.

And when clicked, they insert an tag for them.[/QUOTE]

That's a good way to get everyone banned.

Futureman

Why does my Chrome at work (on Windows Vista) not sync properly with my Chrome on my MacBook Pro?

I uninstalled the Google Voice widget on my MacBook last night and started using a 3rd party one, and when I get to work today, the old, Google extension is still there. I have it set to sync everything, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Jasoco

Banned
I wouldn't push the smiley thing. All we have left to take away is our avatars. I wouldn't push them. If we lose the avatars, what do we have left? *laughing out loud but not really*

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jasoco said:
I wouldn't push the smiley thing. All we have left to take away is our avatars. I wouldn't push them. If we lose the avatars, what do we have left? *laughing out loud but not really*

Yeah. :/

Wait what happened to Wii? Wasn't he the one with the lol smiley as his avy?

Jasoco

Banned
I wish Chrome had an option to open a new tab when I close the last one like ChromeOS has. I had this feature with Tab Mix Plus on Firefox because I hate having my browser open with no tabs, and I like having one single window for all of it.

I'd make an extension to do it myself if I knew how to hook into when a tab closes. I'd just check for the number of tabs and open a new one if the number is 0. But I don't know a thing about hooks and callbacks. And Googling the Chrome Extension pages doesn't help capture tab closing, it just tells me how to close one.

Jasoco

Banned
My Dev build of Chrome 10 just updated itself. Looks like they finally fixed the bug with updating... again. Hope it doesn't die again. I like seeing that green arrow in the Tools icon telling me there's an update ready to install.

I do hate that Background Process icon though. I like background processes, but hate having to be notified that they're there. I don't even fully understand what it means. Is it tabs that are put to sleep? Or extensions that haven't been used in a while? I dunno.

Also, a nice thing I noticed with one of the recent builds is Tab Overview finally has Close X's so I can close tabs without switching to them. It makes me wish I could actually turn the Tab bar off and just use the Overview. Maybe have an icon button that lists all the tabs and tells me how many there are. Shame Chrome doesn't allow the tab bar to be disabled. I'd much prefer a compact view with no tab bar and all my stuff compressed into the address bar area. When I had Firefox, I could use CSS to move interface elements around. I had it down to a compact science.

Noshino

Threi said:
I just have to say: google mail checker plus is an amazing extension. So useful.

I used to us it a lot, but them mail notifications were implemented onto Gmail, and since I only have one account, I rather use that one instead of Checker Plus... (oh, and the notification is much smaller as well)

Threi

notag
what i like about plus is that you can preview the entire message from the icon, mark it as read, or delete it right there, or reply to it. And if the notification disappears you still know that there is a new message available.

Tokubetsu

Jasoco said:
I find the bookmarks bar an unnecessary and wasteful toolbar when I can just use the bar in the New Tab page (In Vanilla Chrome) or the Bookmarks menu to access my bookmarks. I use New Tab all the time. I have it set up to my most used sites via a custom extension I made myself, so it doesn't have a bookmarks bar on it, so I use the menu. But in Chrome OS or Windows, I don't have that same Bookmarks menu luxury, so a button would be useful.

You can't just enable the bar on those other platforms because if you have Sync enabled, it just ends up turning it on on all the browsers including the ones you don't WANT it enabled. I'd be much happier with just a button. I can't even install an extension to give me a makeshift bookmarks menu because once again, it gets synced to all the other platforms. Including once again, the ones where I don't need it enabled.

The Chrome toolbar has a vast amount of space available for stuff. Since it smartly dumps the outdated paradigm of having a separate search box (Which I can't live without BTW. One reason I hate using any other browser anywhere.) it has a bunch of space for whatever. Right now I have a line of custom extensions, Chrome to iPhone and Xmarks next to my Tools wrench. With plenty of space for more...
2lj1ba8.jpg

A NeoGaf extension that when clicked pops up a popup with Off Topic, Gaming, Subscriptions and a list of all currently opened NeoGaf tabs
A Twitter extension that simply opens Twitter
One for FaceBook too
Site to iPhone
Xmarks
And the toolbar version of my own custom Launch Pad that displays the same links in a popup instead.

But each one uses its own system resources. (Not much thankfully) And you can't create an extension that has more than one button. So in order to have a middle ground between clickable favorites on screen and a menu of favorites, I have a few custom extensions that take me to the most used of my most used sites. Sadly, Chrome does not sync custom unpacked extensions. I'd have to submit them to the Chrome store, but I don't see a reason to. They're not for public consumption. (I was able to get them onto the Cr-48 though through a cool trick involving Web Sharing, the File Manager on the Cr-48 and Chrome's "Load unpacked extension" feature.)

That GAF button would be nice =/

Jzero

We should recommend more apps and extensions.

Apps
*Tweet Deck
*Grooveshark
*Weather Window
*IMO Instant Messenger
*Isle of Tune

Jasoco

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
That GAF button would be nice =/
3092003.jpg

NeoGAF Chrome Extension.zip - 50.5 KB

To install, use Developer mode on Extensions page and "Load Unpacked Extension". First put it somewhere safe.

I want to know if there's anything I should add to it (Besides a link to the Community forum) before submitting it to Google's Chrome Extensions site. Actually, I'd like to get all my extensions finalized so I can put them up there for easier syncing. (Unpacked extensions can't be synced across computers, i.e. to my Cr-48)

I'll take suggestions for improvements as well. Also... how do I even go about getting it put on the official list?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Jasoco said:
3092003.jpg

NeoGAF Chrome Extension.zip - 50.5 KB

To install, use Developer mode on Extensions page and "Load Unpacked Extension". First put it somewhere safe.

I want to know if there's anything I should add to it (Besides a link to the Community forum) before submitting it to Google's Chrome Extensions site. Actually, I'd like to get all my extensions finalized so I can put them up there for easier syncing. (Unpacked extensions can't be synced across computers, i.e. to my Cr-48)

I'll take suggestions for improvements as well. Also... how do I even go about getting it put on the official list?

I think nowadays you have to pay something like $5 (anti-spam measure, you didn't have to pay anything at first.) But if you do want to do so, you can sign up here.

Jasoco

Banned
Do I need to ask permission from NeoGAF (Whoever is in charge here) for the use of the logo in the icon and the image banner in the extension? I don't want to step on anyone's toes. Since it uses the image at the top of the page (In the extension itself, not hotlinked of course) as its banner. And a smaller version of the logo as the icon. Both of which I do not own the rights to.

If it's okay, I will probably put it up for everyone to try.

mclaren777

Is there a way to force Chrome to only download one thing at a time? I wish it would queue up downloads in the lower bar but it insists on downloading everything at once.

And I would ideally like to fix this without resorting to an extension.

Thanks.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Jasoco said:
Do I need to ask permission from NeoGAF (Whoever is in charge here) for the use of the logo in the icon and the image banner in the extension? I don't want to step on anyone's toes. Since it uses the image at the top of the page (In the extension itself, not hotlinked of course) as its banner. And a smaller version of the logo as the icon. Both of which I do not own the rights to.

If it's okay, I will probably put it up for everyone to try.
great ext' dude.

Jasoco

Banned
Vox-Pop said:
great ext' dude.
Thanks!

But has anyone else noticed that Chrome sometimes ignores clicks on buttons with pop-up windows? I sometimes have to click it twice or thrice to get it to finally pop out. It's a little buggy. It's almost like the extension is asleep and needs to be woken up.

Also, I wish I could make one extension with all the buttons in it so I could have one single process running with them all instead of separate processes for each one. Hell, if I could do that, I'd probably go crazy and make about a dozen extensions that are just button links to my most used sites. I mean, I've still got a lot of horizontal space up there in the address bar. I could probably sacrifice at least 300-400 pixels to buttons.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chrome 9 was released today!

I'm working on a big update to the OP, so if a kind mod could update the title to something like "Google Chrome 9 |OT| WebGL and Instant for everyone!" that'd be appreciated. :) Or I could make a new thread.

Andrex said:

I'm working on a big update to the OP, so if a kind mod could update the title to something like "Google Chrome 9 |OT| WebGL and Instant for everyone!" that'd be appreciated. :) Or I could make a new thread.

Yeah just got updated to 9.

So I need to grab 10 for the web store?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Andrex said:

Shit yeah not only did I get my Chrome OS notebook which also updated again after it's initial update which I wondered about since it updated upon launch but I got back on my desktop and it updated too. Bet they both updated to Chrome 9.

Seriously Google is fuck'n crazy fast.

PS: Fuck it if I'm stirring the pot, but Mozilla have to be pulling their hair out with how fast Google is innovating in the browser space!

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Brettison said:
Shit yeah not only did I get my Chrome OS notebook which also updated again after it's initial update which I wondered about since it updated upon launch but I got back on my desktop and it updated too. Bet they both updated to Chrome 9.

Seriously Google is fuck'n crazy fast.

PS: Fuck it if I'm stirring the pot, but Mozilla have to be pulling their hair out with how fast Google is innovating in the browser space!

Mozilla release a ton a features and fixes with each new beta release it's just that you have to run an installer whereas Chrome's auto update makes sure everyone gets them asap (without requiring admin access which is a big deal since Vista)

I seriously think all software developers should look at what google did with Chrome and work it into their application. In this day and age of always on broadband connections downloading a small update every few days in the background is no big thing.

Getting people to update software is always a problem. I bet most people don't even know what version of Chrome they're on, just that it's always up-to-date. You never see people say "you need Chrome v5" because the version numbers are irrelevant.

tl;dr - auto update is the best thing about Chrome and everyone should do it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
D4Danger said:
Mozilla release a ton a features and fixes with each new beta release it's just that you have to run an installer whereas Chrome's auto update makes sure everyone gets them asap (without requiring admin access which is a big deal since Vista)

I seriously think all software developers should look at what google did with Chrome and work it into their application. In this day and age of always on broadband connections downloading a small update every few days in the background is no big thing.

Getting people to update software is always a problem. I bet most people don't even know what version of Chrome they're on, just that it's always up-to-date. You never see people say "you need Chrome v5" because the version numbers are irrelevant.

Agreed, it basically makes Chrome like a website. Always up to date, which was Google's goal. Imagine if IE had auto-update... things would be so much better.

tabsina

Hrm.. I just checked the family computer (the only computer with stable installed) and I'm surprised to see that (while it has updated to v9) it still isn't showing the webstore on the new tab page (it is the same as it was before, you need to install your first app before it shows up)

Are they ever going to force it onto the new tabs page? I seem to recall reading that that would happen in v10, but I can't remember exactly where I saw that

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Somewhat weird that my beta build is still version 9, if that is also the current release version.

killakiz

D4Danger said:

I would like to have a notification when updated along with a changelog.

Jasoco

Banned
saelz8 said:
Hopefully BETA channel updates to 10 soon.
Probably when Dev moves to 11.

Also, my Dev just updated itself again and it actually worked. It's so good to have a working updater again! No more checking the Wiki and going to the download site when new ones come out.

Top Bottom