• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

saelz8

Jasoco said:
Probably when Dev moves to 11.

Also, my Dev just updated itself again and it actually worked. It's so good to have a working updater again! No more checking the Wiki and going to the download site when new ones come out.
Canary just updated to 11, so it might be soon.

Also, Dev now has password sync.

tabsina

user_nat said:
Somewhat weird that my beta build is still version 9, if that is also the current release version.

The trend I've noticed is that stable usually catches up to beta (at one point it was a minor revision ahead of beta) just before beta jumps to the next major version

raphier

Banned
What? Chrome's already Version 8? EDIT: 10 ?

Call me amused. Firefox has barely made it to 4.0 yet and Google's like, stepping stones ..so how long until they reach version 101?

tabsina

raphier said:
What? Chrome's already Version 8? EDIT: 10 ?

Call me amused. Firefox has barely made it to 4.0 yet and Google's like, stepping stones ..so how long until they reach version 101?

Google don't even mention the version number in their update posts anymore (http://chrome.blogspot.com/2011/02/dash-of-speed-3d-and-apps.html), I don't think they are increasing by any substantial reason, but rather just for each new set of small features (and every now and then a big one)

I'd assume (it has been suggested by others too) the reason that they don't care about version number (and we shouldn't either) is that everyone is updated to the same version automatically, so there is never a concern of "wait are you on version 3.3 or 3.4?"

Anyone using the dev builds run into a problem with no address in the address bar? It has been happening for a month or two and it is kind of annoying when I try and link stuff but I cant since there is no address up.

Jzero

GhostRidah said:
Anyone using the dev builds run into a problem with no address in the address bar? It has been happening for a month or two and it is kind of annoying when I try and link stuff but I cant since there is no address up.
Nope, and never seen anyone complain about one. Go HERE

mollipen

GhostRidah said:

I'm having that exact same problem, and was wondering about it as well.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Applied some of my chrome browser knowledge learned in this thread to my new chrome OS/cr-48 netbook. Basically it dawned on me to go HEY I should try about:flags.

Boom found some interesting stuff being worked on in there like a media player, file system, and background web apps. Now to tinker around with some of this later!!

Jasoco

Banned
GhostRidah said:
I guess it has to do with a extension, now I have to sniff it out.
Do you use a custom New Tab Page? Or the default one? That would be your problem. I had to work around it by making my Launch Pad new tab page open the link in a new tab and close the NTB after.

Would anyone else like profiles in Chrome? Like in Chrome OS. You start chrome, and there is a login screen (if you enable it, of course). You login and your settings, history, auto complete, passwords, etc are accessible.

If you friend wants to use your computer, just log out.
Or if you leave work in the evening, no need to delete the day's browsing history or saved sessions.

whatsinaname said:
Would anyone else like profiles in Chrome? Like in Chrome OS. You start chrome, and there is a login screen (if you enable it, of course). You login and your settings, history, auto complete, passwords, etc are accessible.

Or if you leave work in the evening, no need to delete the day's browsing history or saved sessions.
I just use different accounts in the OS. Why would I want it within chrome?

Vanillalite

thewesker said:
I just use different accounts in the OS. Why would I want it within chrome?

Windows needs to auto make a guest account. I love how most nix distros have one standard. Chrome OS created a guest login upon my 1st boot as well.

Jasoco said:
Do you use a custom New Tab Page? Or the default one? That would be your problem. I had to work around it by making my Launch Pad new tab page open the link in a new tab and close the NTB after.
Yes, I use Speed Dial, I will try and fool around with it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Brettison said:
Windows needs to auto make a guest account. I love how most nix distros have one standard. Chrome OS created a guest login upon my 1st boot as well.

Incognito Mode is basically guest mode on other OSs.

Jasoco

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Yes, I use Speed Dial, I will try and fool around with it.
Yeah, it's a bug with the extension API for extensions that replace the New Tab page. I was having the same problem. As far as I know, the only workaround is to modify the extension to open the clicked link in a new tab then close the current one. Chrome will then switch to the newly opened tab. I had to switch from using links to using JavaScript to accomplish this. Here's some sample code if you decide to try and modify Speed Dial...

Code:
function openURL(url1) {
	window.close();
	chrome.tabs.create({url:url1,selected:true})
}

Code:
<a onClick="openURL('SITE_URL_TO_OPEN');">URL TITLE</a>

Problem is if there's no HREF, then browsers don't treat it as a link. So play around. This is just how I do it. I just add CSS to make it have a Hand cursor so it at least gives visual notification of being a link. Also, it won't show the URL in the status bar either. I guess you could get around this by actually making it a link AND opening it in another tab AND closing the original.

Silly workaround for a bug.

Worse part is I won't even know if and when it is fixed.

LCfiner

Van Owen said:
What sites do you guys actually use that use h.264 in the video tag?

youtube, vimeo both have html5 players.

also the whiskey media sites (giantbomb) have an html5 theatre player for subscribers.

Leatherface

Jasoco said:
3092003.jpg

NeoGAF Chrome Extension.zip - 50.5 KB

To install, use Developer mode on Extensions page and "Load Unpacked Extension". First put it somewhere safe.

I want to know if there's anything I should add to it (Besides a link to the Community forum) before submitting it to Google's Chrome Extensions site. Actually, I'd like to get all my extensions finalized so I can put them up there for easier syncing. (Unpacked extensions can't be synced across computers, i.e. to my Cr-48)

I'll take suggestions for improvements as well. Also... how do I even go about getting it put on the official list?

LOVE this. Thank you!

blanky

Just so I am not missing out on anything; is there any way to make gifs and flash bearable on chrome (mac). Because for a while now browsing "Pictures that make you laugh" freezes the page and slows the labtop, watching flash videos makes it run hot and slow.

LCfiner

blanky said:
Just so I am not missing out on anything; is there any way to make gifs and flash bearable on chrome (mac). Because for a while now browsing "Pictures that make you laugh" freezes the page and slows the labtop, watching flash videos makes it run hot and slow.

it's a webkit problem. for ages, it used to be just as slow on safari. 64 bit safari 5 is faster than chrome but Camino/Firefox runs 'em like you want.

Jasoco

Banned
LCfiner said:
blanky said:
it's a webkit problem. for ages, it used to be just as slow on safari. 64 bit safari 5 is faster than chrome but Camino/Firefox runs 'em like you want.
Yes. Use a build of Chrome with hardware accelleration.

As long as you have a computer that is new enough to support it.

I haven't had GIF problems since Chrome 9. Or was it 8? They're just as smooth as Firefox.

about:flags

Jasoco said:
Yeah, it's a bug with the extension API for extensions that replace the New Tab page. I was having the same problem. As far as I know, the only workaround is to modify the extension to open the clicked link in a new tab then close the current one. Chrome will then switch to the newly opened tab. I had to switch from using links to using JavaScript to accomplish this. Here's some sample code if you decide to try and modify Speed Dial...

Code:
function openURL(url1) {
	window.close();
	chrome.tabs.create({url:url1,selected:true})
}

Code:
<a onClick="openURL('SITE_URL_TO_OPEN');">URL TITLE</a>

Problem is if there's no HREF, then browsers don't treat it as a link. So play around. This is just how I do it. I just add CSS to make it have a Hand cursor so it at least gives visual notification of being a link. Also, it won't show the URL in the status bar either. I guess you could get around this by actually making it a link AND opening it in another tab AND closing the original.

Silly workaround for a bug.

Worse part is I won't even know if and when it is fixed.
Thanks! helped a lot.

Oh yea and nice extension, anyway to change the text on it for windows? does not look as crisp as on a mac =/

ieqMxM.jpg

LCfiner

Jasoco said:

I haven't had GIF problems since Chrome 9. Or was it 8? They're just as smooth as Firefox.

OMG. <3

Jasoco

Banned
GhostRidah said:
Thanks! helped a lot.

Oh yea and nice extension, anyway to change the text on it for windows? does not look as crisp as on a mac =/

ieqMxM.jpg
If you mean the font, you'll have to edit the CSS to make it Sans Serif. I used "Helvetica Neue", but forgot to add alternate fonts because Windows doesn't have the superior Helvetia Neue font installed.

If you mean smoothing, no. Windows uses a completely different text rendering style than OS X.

I'll fix the font family in an update. But it's easy to fix yourself if you know a thing about CSS. Just edit the "popup.html" file's CSS section to add font-family: Helvetica, Arial; or whatever font you want to use.

Eventually I'm going to sign up for the Extension store and upload it. But as I said, I want to know that I'm not stepping on any copyrighted material by releasing this extension. (Mainly because the banner is a direct rip of the one used on the site up in the corner.) I need a blessing from Mr. GAF himself.

blanky

Jasoco said:

3 year old macbook ( C2D, 2gb mem, integrated graphics). I presume the hardware acceleration is with the current beta?

Van Owen

Banned
LCfiner said:
youtube, vimeo both have html5 players.

also the whiskey media sites (giantbomb) have an html5 theatre player for subscribers.

Youtube uses WebM though. Don't know about the Whiskey premium stuff, but they're standard player is Flash...

LCfiner

Van Owen said:
Youtube uses WebM though. Don't know about the Whiskey premium stuff, but they're standard player is Flash...

the point about whiskey media was that they encode the video with h.264 and serve it in a flash player for most people except for that html5 theatre mode or if you're browsing on an iOS device, then they serve h.264 without the wrapper.

I wasn't aware that youtube had converted all their videos to WebM. i thought it was still a work in progress.

Leatherface

Jasoco said:
it's easy to fix yourself if you know a thing about CSS. Just edit the "popup.html" file's CSS section to add font-family: Helvetica, Arial; or whatever font you want to use.

I don't know anything about CSS and I was able to change the font in a heartbeat. Thanks for the instructions. Besides it looking a little blurry, this extension is perfect!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
LCfiner said:
the point about whiskey media was that they encode the video with h.264 and serve it in a flash player for most people except for that html5 theatre mode or if you're browsing on an iOS device, then they serve h.264 without the wrapper.

I wasn't aware that youtube had converted all their videos to WebM. i thought it was still a work in progress.

The WebM conversion is more than 80% complete, and all new videos are automatically converted to WebM.

tabsina

whatsinaname said:

I wouldn't mind having profiles in Chrome.. while incognito works fine for when I go on other peoples computers, I'm always too late (after signing me out of gmail and facebook) to tell others to do the same on my computer

But better yet, when synced passwords come into play in stable, you definitely wouldn't be able to sync on other people computers without having a profile login system in place

Vanillalite

mclaren777 said:
Why would I install this if everything still works fine without it?

Yeah I'm posting from my Cr-48, and have run into no current issues so I see no reason to install it until I do.

Problem: When I scroll a page with the mouse wheel, the page gets "unfocused".

I mean, let's say that I'm typing like I'm doing now in the text field to make a gaf post, and I touch my scroll wheel, my cursor and focus disappear from the text field, and I have to click in the text field again to be able to continue typing.

It's really annoying. Since the focus on the page is lost due to scrolling, no keyboard input works anymore: space bar for scrolling, ctrl+f for searching, ... Nothing works. I have to click on the page again before I can do any of that stuff.

Any solutions for this?

saelz8

I love sync so damn much. I used to save all my bookmarks in Delicious, but now I don't need to bother. I just throw them in corresponding folders, and that's the end of it.

Ashhong

Someone please help me with this issue...googled and googled and I cant figure it out

I cant open files in Chrome from the bottom download bar. They open fine in Finder, but I click it in Chrome and it doesnt do anything.

Running OSX 10.6.6
Chrome 9.0.597.102

It's been like this for a very long time though. Can't remember when it first started.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
A Dog Chasing Cars said:
That's kind of the point. :p They're supposed to look the same but in Chrome they don't.

Oh, I thought they were supposed to be different.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
They look the same in IE9 but the bottom one is yellow-ish in Chrome

I didn't know this was a problem. my whole life has been a lie!

Top Bottom