• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Weird....

Chrome 10 dev - Different
Opera 11.01 - Different

Both Chrome and Opera appear to be the same in regards to the image...

Shit gets weird with...

IE9 RC - Shit looks sort of the same? They look way closer than on Chrome and Opera, but it's not perfect.

In Chrome/Opera the top looks sort of orangey and the bottom looks sort of pale tan yellowish. In IE9 the bottom looks more orangey and less pale tan yellowish, but still lacks the richness of the top pic orangey color.

IDK there ya go LOL

mclaren777

Andrex said:
Oh, I thought they were supposed to be different.
They will only look the same on a browser that is properly color-managed (like Firefox). Chrome is not, and it drives me insane!

I'm astounded that the guys at Google have overlooked this significant issue.

Vanillalite

Okay I just checked my FF 3.6.13 install...

Things look like it does in the IE9 RC. Shit looks extremely close, but it's NOT 100% here.

giga

Very few browsers support color management, which is a shame since sRGB is so limited in range. Safari has been doing it for years through ColorSync and Firefox gained it sometime last year I believe.

Chrome on left, Safari on right.

m2exn

ZZMitch

Has anyone had this problem where one of your favorite icons on the bookmarks bar changes to something else?

My NeoGaf favorite icon is a picture of the road runner for some reason and I cant figure out how to change it back! I have tried deleting and re-bookmarking neogaf, clearing all the browsing data etc and the damn road runner still mocks me!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ZZMitch said:
Has anyone had this problem where one of your favorite icons on the bookmarks bar changes to something else?

My NeoGaf favorite icon is a picture of the road runner for some reason and I cant figure out how to change it back! I have tried deleting and re-bookmarking neogaf, clearing all the browsing data etc and the damn road runner still mocks me!

My bookmark for AndriaSang has changed like 20 times in the last week but I'm pretty sure that's the website, not the browser.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Stump could you update the title?

Andrex said:
Chrome 9 was released today!

I'm working on a big update to the OP, so if a kind mod could update the title to something like "Google Chrome 9 |OT| WebGL and Instant for everyone!" that'd be appreciated. :) Or I could make a new thread.

tabsina

I've been using the tabbed settings for a while, but I didn't even notice the searchbox (or the url change) until watching the video on that blog

The search box is really impressive, eg if you search arial, it'll bring up the font settings because it is also searching within the nested setting windows

OMG I LOVE CHROME! The issue where there would be some hesitation when pages loaded when trying to scroll is now gone with the 11 builds. That was driving me nuts! Best browser EVER. So FAST.

Jayayess1190 said:
OMG I LOVE CHROME! The issue where there would be some hesitation when pages loaded when trying to scroll is now gone with the 11 builds. That was driving me nuts! Best browser EVER. So FAST.
Still happens to me on engadget :(

tabsina

Hrm.. I really wish they brought profiles from chrome os to chrome (though i doubt they will any time soon).. As much as I like password sync, i'm not comfortable with all my passwords being available in plain text to anyone who uses my computer

Another solution would be to require a password to view your synced passwords.. does anyone else feel like the passwords are way too easy to access?

Vanillalite

Jasoco said:
You're right. My Chrome just updated to 11. We truly are living in an age where version numbers mean nothing.

Eh not really. The numbers DO make sense. It just takes a week or so around release to get them on track. Google has basically said Stable is X Beta is X +1 and Dev ix X +2 with Canary being a daily version of the Dev build.

It just takes them a week or so to get the updates out again.

PS: With the big V8 boost for 10 I think you should keep this topic as is Andrex, and then remake one when Chrome 10 goes stable!

Jasoco

Banned
Brettison said:
Eh not really. The numbers DO make sense. It just takes a week or so around release to get them on track. Google has basically said Stable is X Beta is X +1 and Dev ix X +2 with Canary being a daily version of the Dev build.

It just takes them a week or so to get the updates out again.

PS: With the big V8 boost for 10 I think you should keep this topic as is Andrex, and then remake one when Chrome 10 goes stable!
At some point we'll be on version 99. THEN will the number still matter?

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Jasoco said:
At some point we'll be on version 99. THEN will the number still matter?
By the time it reaches 20, it would be ridiculous to keep numbers imo. Chrome 20-something sounds bad. I bet they have a different naming scheme planed.

Vanillalite

Side note: It seems gmail has updated as well? Your settings are now in a drop down menu when you click the gear now and stuff. That was a different change as well.

hateradio said:
By the time it reaches 20, it would be ridiculous to keep numbers imo. Chrome 20-something sounds bad. I bet they have a different naming scheme planed.
Who calls it anything but just Chrome?

The version numbers are there for nerds to feature compare. For everyone else, it's Chrome, always on the newest version automatically.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Who calls it anything but just Chrome?
That's true for anything; who calls Firefox, Safari, or Opera by a number? However, it's rare to see version 20 of something. Usually names change by that time.

tabsina

Brettison said:
Side note: It seems gmail has updated as well? Your settings are now in a drop down menu when you click the gear now and stuff. That was a different change as well.

I don't think that's a chrome thing, google.com and maps.google.com also has it

wrowa

chrome.png

I decided to try out Chrome today and while I actually quite like what I have seen so far, there's one big problem that I encountered: It isn't showing the YouTube video-player.

How can I solve that problem? It is being displayed just fine in every other browser.

Ashhong

Get a weird problem with Chrome sometimes on OSX. After I updated, Chrome shows up on the dock as a second program, and not as the one that I have pinned to the dock.

Also, sometimes after I restart it doesnt save my pinned tabs. Any clues?

Jasoco

Banned
scorcho said:
doubt it, since there's pretty good improvement in Chrome on OSX, which doesn't have any hardware acceleration.
Uh, yeah it does. The latest versions do. They have for a while. It started on Windows but made it to OS X by the next version. It's called "GPU Accelerated Compositing".

Drewsky

So in 10 beta how do I turn on Instant I think it's called, where pages start loading as you're typing? I didn't see it in about:flags anymore.

Vanillalite

Drewsky said:
So in 10 beta how do I turn on Instant I think it's called, where pages start loading as you're typing? I didn't see it in about:flags anymore.

It's in your general settings now. Go to options and under basic there is a button you check to turn it on. It's disabled by default cause they didn't want flack about the logging policy and it being on from the get go.

Vanillalite

DrFunk said:
Chrome is a straight dog on Engadget. Dunno why

OSX, Windows, or Linux? Works fine for me on Win 7 and Linux. It might take ever so slightly longer to load than some pages, but that's because the site itself has a fuck ton of pics.

Top Bottom