• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

GuessWho

I don't know why but chrome lately has been pretty shit. Crashes not often, but enough to notice. Switch to IE - and kinda of liking it alot. Chrome get your act together.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Deadly Cyclone said:
I got a Chrome OS update yesterday, although I have no idea where to see what it did.

Yeah you guys are all on the beta channel and seem to be basically on par with the dev channel now that I and a few others have been on for a while now...

coolcole93 said:
I'm on Windows 7.

Make sure when you do your uninstall you clear out all of the extra shit in your app data folder.

Lately I've found Chrome to be a resource hog on my Asus 1201n netbook. There were no recent changes in extensions that I believed could have caused this, but it might be a problem in conjunction with the latest flash update. Anyone having troubles as well?

PaulLFC

I haven't had any crashes in Chrome up to now. I'm only on version 9 though, maybe something in the v10 update is causing them.

Jasoco

Banned
No crashes for me. Not even Flash crashes lately. I'm on 11 Dev though, but I haven't had any on the 10 or 9 dev's either.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Anyone get the thing where if you move off Youtube onto another tab and back sometimes the video is replaced by blank space and you have to refresh?

Gui_PT

Superimposer said:
Anyone get the thing where if you move off Youtube onto another tab and back sometimes the video is replaced by blank space and you have to refresh?

That used to happen to me. Stopped when I changed to 10.

Quacking

Superimposer said:
Sometimes happens to me too, it'q quite annoying.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
D4Danger said:
AdBlock Plus is made by the guy who did the original Firefox version

here's the original blog post about it -> https://adblockplus.org/blog/adblock-plus-for-google-chrome-to-be-released-soon

"AdBlock" is made by someone else who just used the name. They're different things.

I use AdBlock Plus for what it's worth

Learn something new everyday as this I did not know.

I was just using Adblock. Guess it was good enough as I never really noticed a difference except right when extensions were brought to chrome and they all were early in their extension lives.

Just disabled it and am gonna try the real deal Adblock Plus now for a week to see a difference.

Threi

notag
Also: Adblock Plus Chrome was previously AdThwart, if you remember it.

Personally I like AdThwart more than Adblock Chrome, but since it changed to Adblock Plus Chrome it didn't block ads as well for some strange reason. That and Adblock Plus Chrome doesn't have the functionality that Adblock Chrome has, which is almost on par with Adblock Plus Firefox. Adblock Chrome has been annoying lately though (the button keeps popping up even though I say to have it hidden) so im gunna give Adblock Plus Chrome another shot.

Seriously though this is confusing and stupid. There was no need to change the name from adthwart, all it does now is cause more confusion.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Threi said:
Seriously though this is confusing and stupid. There was no need to change the name from adthwart, all it does now is cause more confusion.
it was changed because the developer for adblock plus on firefox has now taken the lead in developing it, and he wants to keep his brand the same across browsers. it doesn't make much sense to keep the names different.

Vyer

All Youtube videos are stuttering horribly for me on Chrome. I'm on OSX, and it's not happening in Safari or Firefox.

Haven't tried it yet on my Windows 7 machine.

Anyone had this issue?

Jasoco

Banned
fawaz said:
whenever i open a youtube vid in another tab chrome crashes! wtf?

and how do i know if i am 9 or 10?
What OS are you on? What version of Chrome? And what version of Flash? (Right-click on a flash file/video and choose About.) Also maybe other specs about the computer would help.

Laguna X

Nintendogs Member
I decided to give chrome a chance on my new computer. Until now, I've been a long time user of Firefox. I've gotta say, I'm really loving chrome. I've run into no problems as of yet.

Is there anything like NoScript on chrome?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chrome 10 is out. Major features include a 66% boost in JavaScript performance, the new tabbed settings page, password synchronization, and completely sandboxed Flash.

Jasoco

Banned
Laguna X said:
I decided to give chrome a chance on my new computer. Until now, I've been a long time user of Firefox. I've gotta say, I'm really loving chrome. I've run into no problems as of yet.

Is there anything like NoScript on chrome?
I think so, but I don't really care for it. I haven't needed it since switching though. I do use Personalized Web Options for adding content to sites though. Highly recommended if you like to tweak how sites look. Especially useful for removing unwanted elements like FaceBook's Presence Bar or Youtube's hot bar. Annoying as shit. I also use it on GAF to add an always-on-screen navigation bar at the bottom.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Google OS has a complete list of the new features.

One thing I missed that I'm now super happy about is drag-and-drop reordering of apps on the new tab page!

Edit- Also it looks like 64 bit Chrome is on its way! Yes! That's the absolute last feature I could think of for a browser. When Chrome does it, it will be perfect in my eyes.

Well, one more thing I suppose. I wish it would synchronize the open tabs between instances of Chrome, too. But that can't be too far off either.

jambo

Hmm, been having a few Shockwave Flash crashes at home and work on Chrome 10.0.648.127

starting to get frequent and annoying.

You know, I never thought about Google Chrome being fast, because browser speed just isn't something I notice or care about (my 28.8K days made me patient, I guess) but looking at it now, it is actually freaky fast.

I can go from Gaming to Off-Topic in a little less than 1 second at best. Blows my mind.

I need to try this in Opera one day.

I just noticed this but if you mouse over the tabs that aren't in use a reflection of light forms around your point as you slide across the tab. TRY IT!

risk

the only thing that prevents me from using Chrome full time is that there is no extention like Secure Login on Firefox or Opera's Wand login.

threenote

Banned
Google Chrome is the best browser ever made. This shit is so fast on OSX, and it's just so intuitive. Google Apps is also really awesome--alot of potential there.

jey_16

Banned
alright.....i'm jumping on Chrome after using Firefox 3.6 for a while, lets see how it goes

whats the general consensus on Chrome 10 vs Firefox 4?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Speed dial extension seems like it needs an update, clicking on anything you have speed dialed will give you a blank url bar. Same goes for bookmarks on the speed dial page.

Apart from that chrome 10 has been fine so far.

Top Bottom