• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Threi

notag
I want to upgrade to chrome but the only thing that's holding me back is the icon.

Chrome's icon is so tacky, i'm going to jump on when they change it.

Threi said:
I want to upgrade to chrome but the only thing that's holding me back is the icon.

You can already change it yourself to anything you want.

C Jones

Vyer said:
All Youtube videos are stuttering horribly for me on Chrome. I'm on OSX, and it's not happening in Safari or Firefox.

Haven't tried it yet on my Windows 7 machine.

Anyone had this issue?
I'm having the exact same problem. Had to switch back to Firefox because of it.

louis89

Threi said:

I was the same but I just said fuck it and now I'm used to it.

Edit: Actually I just found that you can do this:

2a9a4uw.png

Edit2: Great, I didn't have any GIF problems before when it seemed like everyone else did, now I'm on version 10 and some GIFs are playing too fast.

Jasoco

Banned
Tokubetsu said:
Haha, yep.
I celebrated months ago when I had 10.0 the first time. Now I'm on 11.0.

evlcookie said:
Speed dial extension seems like it needs an update, clicking on anything you have speed dialed will give you a blank url bar. Same goes for bookmarks on the speed dial page.

Apart from that chrome 10 has been fine so far.
It's a bug in Chrome. Not Speed Dial. Any extension that replaces the new tab page is buggy. I had to work around it by making my links open in a new tab and close the old one.

Edit: I have a weird problem, and I don't know if it's a bug or a really stupid feature, but in the latest 11.x Dev build, I no longer get URL popups down in the corner when I mouse over a hyperlink. I don't know where the link goes anymore! What gives? I NEED THEM!

Also, a little annoying, but I now have to hold Command+Q for a second to quit Chrome instead of just having it quit. When I press it, it says "Hold Command+Q to Quit". I guess they're trying to mimic Chrome OS? Please, don't! Wish I could put it back.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Copernicus said:
This is like almost admission that chrome is going to be pulled into android.

What? No. Chromium has always had a blue icon.

I do love the flatter look though. Even when Chrome was first released I thought the icon was hideous. I knew they'd be updating it when they ran out of improvements to make. :p

subrock

anyone else getting the annoying bug in the new dev version where your bookmark descriptions show up over the middle of the browser window when you leave the mouse hovering in the middle of the page.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Threi said:
you forgot the most important update:

GIFS PLAY AT REGULAR SPEED NOW!
So it's not my imagination? I came here to ask about it as I couldn't believe it! It only took them 10 releases but I'm glad that it's finally here.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
subrock said:
anyone else getting the annoying bug in the new dev version where your bookmark descriptions show up over the middle of the browser window when you leave the mouse hovering in the middle of the page.

Not bookmarks but some tooltips, yes, on my Canary install.

Jzero

subrock said:
Dude seriously it's freaken annoying, and i hate how they don't leave until you hover over any tab.

giga said:
Speaking of new icons..
Wow i really like this one better, hopefully they change it on Chrome as well

Edit: looks better in blue :/
Chrome-New-Logo-3.png

Spike

subrock said:

Jzero15 said:
Dude seriously it's freaken annoying, and i hate how they don't leave until you hover over any tab.

When I click on the tab I want to view and I move my mouse downwards, it is auto highlighting a link on my bookmarks bar and showing the shortcut on the screen until I move my mouse all the way up to the tab bar and then move all the way to the right or the left of the screen and then move down again.

It is annoying me to no end. They better fix this stat, or I'm going to try another browser.

Jasoco

Banned
giga said:
The fuck is this? I don't see any option to disable it. Dev channel.

3mza0
I know! It's annoying! It makes sense in Chrome OS, but not in a computer OS where it's just another paradigm that is different from the way every other app works.

BTW, do you also not have any URL status-bar show up when you hover over links since you're also on the Dev build?

Kunohara

louis89 said:
So what do I do now that GIFs are sped up for me after having upgraded to 10.0? I didn't have any problems before.

They are now playing at normal speed. They were playing at a reduced speed before.

Jasoco

Banned
I don't get why we need the "Hold Command+Q to quit" thing when Chrome remembers everything and relaunches in less than a second anyway so it's not a big deal if you accidentally quit it. I don't get who thought that was a good idea to implement. It really bugs me. And is now the only problem I have with 11.0.

Ashhong

I've had a weird problem with my OSX Chrome lately.

If I go to megaupload.com, the page constantly refreshes. I have to press stop for it to stop. It's pretty annoying. Anybody have this issue?

I'm on 10.0.648.133 beta

Jasoco said:
I don't get why we need the "Hold Command+Q to quit" thing when Chrome remembers everything and relaunches in less than a second anyway so it's not a big deal if you accidentally quit it. I don't get who thought that was a good idea to implement. It really bugs me. And is now the only problem I have with 11.0.

Speaking of Chrome remembering things, does yours always remember your tabs? More often than not, mine forgets it and only restores my pinned tabs. Also when I update Chrome and it restarts, it loads tabs from a previous session. It's very weird.

Spike said:
When I click on the tab I want to view and I move my mouse downwards, it is auto highlighting a link on my bookmarks bar and showing the shortcut on the screen until I move my mouse all the way up to the tab bar and then move all the way to the right or the left of the screen and then move down again.

It is annoying me to no end. They better fix this stat, or I'm going to try another browser.

It's already been fixed. Next time the build updates it'll be gone. That's what we get for being on the dev channel.

Jasoco

Banned
Ashhong said:
Speaking of Chrome remembering things, does yours always remember your tabs? More often than not, mine forgets it and only restores my pinned tabs. Also when I update Chrome and it restarts, it loads tabs from a previous session. It's very weird.
I've never had a problem with it remembering my settings on any Beta, Dev or Stable release I've ever used. I don't use any pinned tabs though. (Not since they removed the ability to close them and keep them pinned up there as sort of "tab bookmarks". That sucked when they removed it. So fuck you, pinned tabs.)

Oyashiro

Is anyone else having problems with YouTube videos? Im on OSX, latest version of Chrome dev. Even 480p videos are soooo slow. 720p works fine in Firefox :(

tabsina

Regarding the new icon - That blue colour isn't for chrome, that's how chromium has always been.

In fact, on my cr-48 the new tab page already has the chrome colour scheme applied to the new logo (not using my cr48 at the moment, otherwise i'd get a screen grab)

louis89 said:
So what do I do now that GIFs are sped up for me after having upgraded to 10.0? I didn't have any problems before.
I noticed this too. :\ It's not with all GIFs either.
Kunohara said:
They are now playing at normal speed. They were playing at a reduced speed before.
Huh, so that explains it. Wait, I'm pretty sure some are now playing way too fast.

hey guys, is there a way to make Chrome show the name of a website you're on in that space above your tabs?

I find that sometimes I'm scrolling a GAF thread and lose track of what thread it is. I'm used to looking at the top to see what the topic is at a glance. Can that be enabled somewhow?

Dreams-Visions said:
hey guys, is there a way to make Chrome show the name of a website you're on in that space above your tabs?

I find that sometimes I'm scrolling a GAF thread and lose track of what thread it is. I'm used to looking at the top to see what the topic is at a glance. Can that be enabled somewhow?
What version are you using? My tabs have always had the page title, rather than the site title.

Jasoco

Banned
ninj4junpei said:
What version are you using? My tabs have always had the page title, rather than the site title.
The tab is too small to be able to tell what the page title is. It's annoying. But I just use Personalized Web Options and JavaScript to get around the problem on a few sites.

For example, on NeoGAF I use PWO to add a DIV to the page, then JavaScript after the page loads to insert the title of the page into the DIV, which is set to float at the bottom of the page over all content at all times.
Code:
Code:
function $(el) { return document.getElementById(el); }
function updateTitle() {
        var t = document.title;
        var l = t.length;
	$('pagetitle').innerHTML = t.substring(0,l-9) + " ";
}
window.setTimeout("updateTitle()", 300);

And on YouTube, I have it change the title of the page so the video name is at the beginning, i.e. dropping the word "YouTube" from the front, since I can obviously tell what site it is by the fucking icon, so why do I need the name too?
Code:
var t = document.title;
var l = t.length;
document.title = t.substring(10,l);

I like how Safari smartly renames tabs and wish Chrome would do that too.

tabsina

Jasoco said:
I like how Safari smartly renames tabs and wish Chrome would do that too.

There was a link to the chromium build earlier in this page, seems like that is one of the upgrades coming to chrome

On the topic of neogaf though, the "thread title" is the only thing that shows up in my tab title, does it say "NeoGAF - thread title" for you guys?

Top Bottom