• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
How do you trigger Tab Overview without multitouch? It tells me swipe down with three fingers, but I have a Pre-Multitouch MBP.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Copernicus said:
You can print from mobile gmail/gdocs.

Oh right, forgot about that.

Still useless for desktop computing, which is unfortunate as I recently switched printers and it doesn't have a network driver for 64-bit Windows 7.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway to lock tabs?
I would love if it I could have my history tab always pinned to the right side of the window always open.

Nabs

Jtwo said:
Anyway to lock tabs?
I would love if it I could have my history tab always pinned to the right side of the window always open.
right click the tab and select "pin tab"

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The thing I've realized about Chrome is that Google needs to teach people how to use it.
I've been using it for like 4 or 5 months now, and I'm still finding out all these GAMECHANGERS.

It really is the greatest thing ever.

Any way to pin it to the right though? Since I read from left to right, it seems better to have it on the side I'm not actively looking at all the time.

WOW, I've just got a million questions today.
Fellow OSX users, is there a way to accomplish this on our OS?
http://www.chromeplugins.org/google/chrome-tips-tricks/how-pin-tabs-startup-chrome-8788.html

Jasoco

Banned
Jtwo said:
Any way to pin it to the right though? Since I read from left to right, it seems better to have it on the side I'm not actively looking at all the time.
Probably not (Unless you use Arabic or another "right to left" language) since the point of them is to always be where you expect them to be. i.e. a non-moving target. The same reason the menubar in Mac OS is at the top of the screen infinitely, because it's easier to hit something that is always where you expect it. If they were at the right, they'd be moving all the time.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Jasoco said:
Probably not (Unless you use Arabic or another "right to left" language) since the point of them is to always be where you expect them to be. i.e. a non-moving target. The same reason the menubar in Mac OS is at the top of the screen infinitely, because it's easier to hit something that is always where you expect it. If they were at the right, they'd be moving all the time.
They wouldn't move around though, they'd just stay pinned over on the right side. I don't know.
The pinning trick is really neat, but it's really a shame they unpin when you close the window.
I want GMAIL open at ALL times no matter what, period. I don't want to have think about it, I just want to click on the button and have it instantly be there, already running, already signed in gtalk.

Jasoco

Banned
Jtwo said:
They wouldn't move around though, they'd just stay pinned over on the right side. I don't know.
The pinning trick is really neat, but it's really a shame they unpin when you close the window.
I want GMAIL open at ALL times no matter what, period. I don't want to have think about it, I just want to click on the button and have it instantly be there, already running, already signed in gtalk.
They used to. Then they broke it. And never fixed it. Now both Firefox and even IE9 have pinned web pages that are persistent. (Well, Firefox doesn't persist, IE lets you put a web link in the Taskbar with special jump list options depending on the site)

Pinned tabs should be permanent hard to close tabs with static URL's that will stick around when you close their process and always reopen to the original URL when reopened. Maybe they could even get a "return to original" button. Closing them would keep the tab in the bar.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:

My pin gmail tab always stays there even If I close the window.

Oyashiro

Hm... Just today, I've noticed 2 new things. One is really good, one really bad.

The really good thing is that they seem to have managed to speed up video playback or something? For the past couple of weeks, HD videos on YT have been a fucking slideshow for me. Now it seems to be fixed.

The downside is that the instant bar seems to be laggy as fuck now. Whenever I start searching for something, it struggles really hard to keep up with my typing and I have to wait like 15-25 seconds for it to catch up :/

Nabs said:
Yeah, my pinned tabs stick around even after I close the browser.

I'm on OS X and they disappear after I close the window & open a new one. Are you on Windows? Perhaps it's an OS X thing.

Edit: If I quit instead of just closing the window, the pinned tabs are still there when I restart. Weird.

Futureman

Whenever I just updated, it closed down the browser and the icon in the dock was that new differently shaded one from the last page.

Then when Chrome actually relaunched, it changed back to the old icon. Weird.

On OS X here.

kehs

Banned
Treefingers said:
I'm on OS X and they disappear after I close the window & open a new one. Are you on Windows? Perhaps it's an OS X thing.

Edit: If I quit instead of just closing the window, the pinned tabs are still there when I restart. Weird.

What you're doing is closing the pin tabbed. (Which, by the way, I find ridiculous that a pin tab can be closed). Since it's the last tab that's open, that also closes the Chrome application.

That will happen in Windows too. So it's just a matter of usage.
edit: actually even this doesn't happen anymore, I remeber it doing it though.

I'm on 11.0.696.16 btw, so that may have something to do with it.

Copernicus said:
What you're doing is closing the pin tabbed. (Which, by the way, I find ridiculous that a pin tab can be closed). Since it's the last tab that's open, that also closes the Chrome application.

That will happen in Windows too. So it's just a matter of usage.

Ah, that makes more sense. Still why would quitting Chrome preserve the pinned tab while closing a window doesn't? Feels like a bug to me.. or at least something not purposefully done.

Anyway, it's weird & doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The way Firefox 4 does it feels a lot more intuitive and useful.

Edit: Hm. Yeah I'm on the same version. Must be an OS X thing then I guess.

Quick question:

I've had Google Chrome on my old laptop for the past year or however long. In that time, I've accrued around roughly 400 bookmarks.

I bought a new laptop a few months ago and I of course use Chrome on it as well. Over the past few months, I've accrued maybe 50 bookmarks.

Now, if I sync Chrome between my two laptops, what will happen:

a) the bookmarks on one laptop will overwrite/delete and replace the bookmarks on the other
b) all of the bookmarks and bookmark folders will merge and mike will be happy

Anyone know?

bananas

Banned
Mike Works said:
Quick question:

I've had Google Chrome on my old laptop for the past year or however long. In that time, I've accrued around roughly 400 bookmarks.

I bought a new laptop a few months ago and I of course use Chrome on it as well. Over the past few months, I've accrued maybe 50 bookmarks.

a) the bookmarks on one laptop will overwrite/delete and replace the bookmarks on the other

Anyone know?

I'm pretty sure it gives you the option of choosing which to over write. Not sure actually, I'm on a school Mac right now with Safari, so I can't check right now.

Mike Works said:
Quick question:

Anyone know?

I'm 95% sure they merge.

Edit: Yeah. What happens is if you enable Sync on both computers, the bookmarks on both computers will be saved to your Google account. Then both computers sync with that account & thus you'll have all of your bookmarks on both computers.

clav

Mike Works said:
Quick question:

Anyone know?
They will merge.

If you want to have a failsafe option, just make a backup of the current bookmarks and add them in later.

mclaren777

Treefingers said:
Holy crap I don't know if it's been mentioned but the "Instant" feature that loads the website as you type in the URL is so so awesome.
It can be nice but it's annoying if you're trying to edit a URL because it keeps reloading the page with each alteration.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Treefingers said:

OSX here too, you're right, if I command Q out of Chrome the pin tabs to persist.
But that is so impractical, who knows what is gonna go down when you're browsing the web. You might have 4 windows open with 12 tabs each.

OSX chrome doesn't even support hiding extension buttons.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I can't really figure out why pin tab is useful. I said 'oh neat' when i found it, but it just keeps whatever page you were looking at on it.... it's kind of just like leaving the browser open on the last page you were looking at?

catfish said:
I can't really figure out why pin tab is useful. I said 'oh neat' when i found it, but it just keeps whatever page you were looking at on it.... it's kind of just like leaving the browser open on the last page you were looking at?

It's more like... say you use Facebook like crazy, instead of having to open it all the time you can just pin it and it's always there for you.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well, Pintab in it's current state actually isn't very useful.

What I want, is for windows like GMAIL, HISTORY, and GAF SUBSCRIPTIONS to be pinned, and open at all times, and within those tabs if I click a link, I want the link to spawn a new tab. I want them to be like permanently open webapps. I don't have a million megabit connection, so it actually is a big fucking hassle to wait for gmail to load for a few seconds or to navigate to gaf and then hit the subscription link.

The thing is, you can't do that type of thing manually. Sure, I can just open those three pages, pin them and then try to work around them, but it's way to easy to accidentally close them or move on to a different page. I just want those 3 things at an arms reach away at all times.

I feel like I'm not properly describing what it is I actually want. I basically just don't want pinned tabs to act like normal tabs that just don't have the X button. I want them to be permanent, and impossible to change no matter what crazy shit happens during the mania that is modern webbrowsing.

Jtwo said:

What I want, is for windows like GMAIL, HISTORY, and GAF SUBSCRIPTIONS to be pinned, and open at all times, and within those tabs if I click a link, I want the link to spawn a new tab. I want them to be like permanently open webapps. I don't have a million megabit connection, so it actually is a big fucking hassle to wait for gmail to load for a few seconds or to navigate to gaf and then hit the subscription link.

The thing is, you can't do that type of thing manually. Sure, I can just open those three pages, pin them and then try to work around them, but it's way to easy to accidentally close them or move on to a different page. I just want those 3 things at an arms reach away at all times.

I feel like I'm not properly describing what it is I actually want. I basically just don't want pinned tabs to act like normal tabs that just don't have the X button. I want them to be permanent, and impossible to change no matter what crazy shit happens during the mania that is modern webbrowsing.

This is how Firefox 4 does it. And how they should behave. The way Chrome does it right now IMO is useless.

Jasoco

Banned
It really is. I would want tabs that always remain on the same page no matter what and open new pages in new tabs but never close or change. This is how app tabs/pinned tabs should work. But they don't.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Plywood said:

Opera doesn't quite do what he wants either, though. But a combination of a pinned tab (which in Opera can't be closed until it's manually unpinned) and a follower tab (every link clicked on the "parent" tab is opened in the follower tab, and the "parent" never changes) comes pretty close.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Plywood said:
No. I don't know. I really don't want to switch, I'm so tied into Google services that the benefits of using Chrome outweigh their shitty pinned tabs.

I just wish I new how to roll my own mods or something, I know EXACTLY what I want I'm just unable to do it. I'll get over it, I'm really trying to be a more effective human. I decided last saturday that I need to relearn how to do everything I do on a daily basis, and examine the processes of my daily life and change them to be the most efficient. Wanting Chrome custom tailored my usage habits is a very small part of what I'm feeling right now.

Frustration that the world wasn't designed so Jtwo can be the most efficient version of himself.

kehs

Banned
Jtwo said:

Can't you just middle click the links in the pinned tabs so they open in new tabs?

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Jtwo said:

What's weird is I remember this is exactly how pinned tabs works when they first introduced them back in like, Chrome 7 or 8 or something, but they gimped it for no reason in later releases.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Copernicus said:
Can't you just middle click the links in the pinned tabs so they open in new tabs?
Yes. Although, that is just one more click and I'll have to retrain myself to do that. It just seems needlessly complex.

Oh shit man, no I can't middle click. I use a trackpad. All I can do is right click and open new tab.

Jasoco

Banned
Jtwo said:
Yes. Although, that is just one more click and I'll have to retrain myself to do that. It just seems needlessly complex.

Oh shit man, no I can't middle click. I use a trackpad. All I can do is right click and open new tab.
On a Mac it's Command+Click. Not sure about Windows. Most likely Control or Alt+Click.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Jasoco said:
On a Mac it's Command+Click. Not sure about Windows. Most likely Control or Alt+Click.
Thanks! I haven't used a mouse in years, I always forget that there is a button on most scroll wheels.

kaskade

I'm not a fan of the new icon really. When it's in my dock it doesn't really flow. I found a few alternates that seem alright though.

SpeedingUptoStop said:
What's weird is I remember this is exactly how pinned tabs works when they first introduced them back in like, Chrome 7 or 8 or something, but they gimped it for no reason in later releases.
Because it sucked. I briefly stopped using Chrome when that was how it worked.

Jasoco

Banned
Jtwo said:
Thanks! I haven't used a mouse in years, I always forget that there is a button on most scroll wheels.
Yeah. I haven't used my mouse much at all since getting my MacBook Pro with it's genius Magic Trackpad. Who would have thought Apple could create a trackpad worthy of replacing a full mouse?

tino

Banned
Is there a way to hardcode a shorthand for bookmark yet?

On firefox I can type "cc" enter and go straight to google calendar since FF bookmark has a way for me to hardcode it. I still can't find a way to do it in Chrome, with or without extensions. I can also type "e earch term" on FF awesome bar and go straight to ebay earch. But as long as I can do first thing I will make Chrome my primary browser.

Top Bottom