• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Futureman

Whenever I used a CR-48, if I got a new email in Gmail (which I had pinned) it would glow/flash whenever I had a new email to be read.

will this be coming to Chrome? I already have the Gmail checker extension, but it wouldn't really be needed if the tab would just glow like on the CR-48.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Futureman said:
Whenever I used a CR-48, if I got a new email in Gmail (which I had pinned) it would glow/flash whenever I had a new email to be read.

will this be coming to Chrome? I already have the Gmail checker extension, but it wouldn't really be needed if the tab would just glow like on the CR-48.

Do you have desktop notifications turned on in your general tab under settings in g-mail? :p

Epix said:
The OP should be updated with the latest features/releases no?

The OP needs to die, and we need a new thread at this point IMO.

Futureman

Brettison said:
Do you have desktop notifications turned on in your general tab under settings in g-mail? :p

You mean the little Growl-like window that pops up but then disappears when you get a new email? Yes, but it quickly goes away and if you are away from your computer you don't see it.

so then you have to rely on the Google Mail Checker extension to see if you have new mail, but that wouldn't be needed if the tab would just glow when you have new emails waiting.

Unless I'm using it wrong, the Google Mail Checker when clicked just switches me over to my pinned Gmail tab. Wish the pinned tab would just glow red or something if there was new email waiting.

added_time said:
I have a problem with Chrome lately. So in facebook when I log in a lot of posts on my wall and all new notifications aren't there. It's like it went back in time or something. So I try signing out and back in and it's still messed up. I cleared the cache, cookies, history and everything and it's still like that!

Then I checked both Internet Explorer and Firefox and it works perfectly there.

I really don't want to change back to Firefox but this is a pretty annoying thing to put up with.

Any ideas how this is possible?

Nevermind. It was because I had Trillian set to link up with facebook chat. I guess it was fighting with chrome over the news feed and wall. Pretty lousy.
I am surprised that it played nice with IE and Firefox but not Chrome though.

Either way, I don't want to leave Chrome. I'll just disable facebook chat on Trillian.

Xrenity

Futureman said:

It glows :) I use this often to quickly check.

But there's also a labs thingy now where it shows how many unread emails you've got in the favico
http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-in-labs-unread-message-icon.html

kehs

Banned
Futureman said:
You mean the little Growl-like window that pops up but then disappears when you get a new email? Yes, but it quickly goes away and if you are away from your computer you don't see it.

so then you have to rely on the Google Mail Checker extension to see if you have new mail, but that wouldn't be needed if the tab would just glow when you have new emails waiting.

Unless I'm using it wrong, the Google Mail Checker when clicked just switches me over to my pinned Gmail tab. Wish the pinned tab would just glow red or something if there was new email waiting.

If you look through the Labs for Gmail, you'll see an option to show an unread counter on the tab.

rsam87

Yea I already knew about this one, sort of too ghetto. I have to hit the button for each new bookmark I add. Plus I can't undo it, it looks all weird in the organize bookmarks menu thing.

Also for some reason chrome doesn't seem to pull favicons as well as Firefox, I have a whole bunch of blank ones that I get with Firefox.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ScOULaris said:
@Andrex: All I can say is
3AQmK.gif

Thank you for creating this extension. I've been waiting for someone with a little Javascript know-how to make something exactly like this. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Whoah, thanks man.
3AQmK.gif

Epix said:
The OP should be updated with the latest features/releases no?

Yeah, this thread was originally meant just for Chrome 6, then 7. I didn't know I would have a mod's support for changing the title for new releases. I'll probably get started on making a new thread soon.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Futureman said:

If you pin a Gmail tab, it will glow with a very light gradient when you receive new emails or chat messages.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Given Chrome's rapid release schedule and the fact that half the people here are on the beta or dev track, I'd personally prefer if there wasn't a new thread for every version. It's been quite a while since this one was started so I don't mind a new thread now, but probably it should stay around for at least 3-4 months before being replaced.

I think I'm the only mod using Chrome, so I'm not sure if anyone else on the team has any input.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Stumpokapow said:
Given Chrome's rapid release schedule and the fact that half the people here are on the beta or dev track, I'd personally prefer if there wasn't a new thread for every version. It's been quite a while since this one was started so I don't mind a new thread now, but probably it should stay around for at least 3-4 months before being replaced.

I think I'm the only mod using Chrome, so I'm not sure if anyone else on the team has any input.

That's actually just what I was thinking, new thread about every six months or so.

flsh

Banned
Is there an extension that tells you which number each tab is? (Bonus if there is one that only shows you the number when pressing ctrl for the ctrl+number shortcut)

I also found a very nice extensions called Shortcut Manager. I use it for alternate left hand shortcuts to right hand shortcuts. What I mean is, that instead of taking my hand off the mouse and pressing ctrl+j, I just press ctrl+shift+z to open the downloads tab. It's surprisingly useful.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Stumpokapow said:

Oh I'd agree we don't need a new thread every version bump. I only wanted a new thread cause this one was created in Sept. of last year. At this point though I'd say just wait and create a new OT when Chrome 11 goes stable.

movie_club

Doen anyone else think that there should be a feature that lets you have gchats on every webpage, not just in gmail? I think that would be really neat.

I also think that you should be able to save, highlight and annotate pdfs to your account.

ToxicAdam

Anyone having problems with copy-pasting? When I attempt to highlight text, it constantly wants to pick up small chunks of text and transpose them elsewhere.

Maybe its an issue with my wireless mouse.

flsh

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Anyone having problems with copy-pasting? When I attempt to highlight text, it constantly wants to pick up small chunks of text and transpose them elsewhere.

Maybe its an issue with my wireless mouse.
I don't have this issue. It probably is your mouse \:

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Erm, thanks to the 14 of you who installed my extension. :eek: I don't want to post about every minor update, but I did just push one out that makes the smiley area look just like it used to.

I also tried to get the text selection to work like you'd expect but it's proving difficult. I tried both setSelectionRange and selectionStart/selectionEnd, but they didn't work. Any JS wizards out there, I'd appreciate some help.
3AQmK.gif

Also, I'm working on a new extension... but it's been proving difficult. Chrome Extensions should not have the XHR restriction, but that's the problem I've been running into. Posted on the mailing list so hopefully I'll get some help with that.

Ashhong

Andrex said:
Update 1.4:

LLShC.gif

That is all.

Does the extension update by itself? I go to the page and it just says installed yet I dont see the changes.

Also you should make a new thread about it maybe. Thats wat the person did after he made the Firefox extension. Would get more attention to it.

Oh crap, Multiquote, please get that working!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I don't want too much attention drawn to it... I might make a new thread for the PM extension, though.

And it should auto-update. If you have no patience, you can go to the extensions page and hit Update all extensions.

Ashhong

Andrex said:
I don't want too much attention drawn to it... I might make a new thread for the PM extension, though.

And it should auto-update. If you have no patience, you can go to the extensions page and hit Update all extensions.

I see no option for update all extensions. Weird...maybe cause I'm using beta? I duno

ScOULaris

Only 14 users for your NeoGAF Smilies extension? That's some bullshit.
LLShC.gif

Everyone should be using it! The smilies need to return!
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif
3AQmK.gif

Side note - I won't get banned for using smilies, will I? Why the hell did they get rid of them in the first place? I heard it was to "improve discussion," but was that the real reason?

ScOULaris

Threi said:
you run the chance of being banned if you use them, yeah. They were removed for a reason.
I guess I'll just use them sparingly then. If they really were removed due to abuse of the feature, then I guess it couldn't hurt to use them once in a while when the situation calls for them.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Threi said:
you run the chance of being banned if you use them, yeah. They were removed for a reason.

Yeah, like I said, treat them with care. It probably goes without saying never to use them to condescend someone, or in an argument. Just use them in good fun, and it should be fine (I hope.)

ScOULaris

You know a forum has strict moderation when you live in fear of losing your account because of a smiley. Then again, it's strict moderation that has kept GAF from becoming the cesspool that most online gaming forums are.

Jasoco

Banned
Currently switched back to 12 Dev. The bugs I had seem to be gone now.... for now...

Had to manually restore my icon because I love that new one. I wish they'd put it back.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
are they ever going to update the dev channel? this thing is junk

How much hassle is it to switch to the beta channel? will it break anything going back?

ScOULaris

D4Danger said:
are they ever going to update the dev channel? this thing is junk

How much hassle is it to switch to the beta channel? will it break anything going back?
Nah. It's really simple and painless.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

NeoGAF Quick Reply is a "just-for-fun extension that adds a quick reply form to the bottom of every page in a thread on NeoGAF. Works well with the Live Updater extension, and includes the current three smilies from my NeoGAF Smilies extension."

Ironically, the smilies work better in the Quick Reply box than just purely with my other extension.

Top Bottom