• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Artifice

Neo Member
tino said:
Is there a way to hardcode a shorthand for bookmark yet?

The equivalent option in Chrome is in the options menu, under 'Manage search engines'.

This feature has actually been available for quite some time now.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I'm having a somewhat wierd problem with my bookmarks. After the last update, whenever I open the bookmark folder it starts me at the bottom. So I have to scroll up, instead of starting at the top and letting me scroll down. Any fix?

Road

Oyashiro said:
The downside is that the instant bar seems to be laggy as fuck now. Whenever I start searching for something, it struggles really hard to keep up with my typing and I have to wait like 15-25 seconds for it to catch up :/
They recently introduced a more complex pattern search system, similar to Firefox's Awesome Bar.

I guess that might be the reason for your slowness.

Jasoco

Banned
tino said:

On firefox I can type "cc" enter and go straight to google calendar since FF bookmark has a way for me to hardcode it. I still can't find a way to do it in Chrome, with or without extensions. I can also type "e earch term" on FF awesome bar and go straight to ebay earch. But as long as I can do first thing I will make Chrome my primary browser.
Like "Quickmarks"?

Where you type "b " and it lets you search and open your bookmarks from the awesomebar.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/piefpokhpcehbeelhohgcnbipnfkogig

Would be better if they allowed it to also search your history and your open tabs. Right now it's just bookmarks.

There is a tab searching extension but it works differently, and works badly for me because typing the sw command makes it bring up a site I don't want to visit and I can't figure out how to remove it from Chrome's memory yet.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gbfhhcljihbgcobpfnceegfmooomhhli

I might try to figure out a way to merge the two extensions myself actually.

kehs

Banned
Jasoco said:
Like "Quickmarks"?

Where you type "b " and it lets you search and open your bookmarks from the awesomebar.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/piefpokhpcehbeelhohgcnbipnfkogig

Would be better if they allowed it to also search your history and your open tabs. Right now it's just bookmarks.

There is a tab searching extension but it works differently, and works badly for me because typing the sw command makes it bring up a site I don't want to visit and I can't figure out how to remove it from Chrome's memory yet.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gbfhhcljihbgcobpfnceegfmooomhhli

I might try to figure out a way to merge the two extensions myself actually.

You can search your history, just start typing in the bar.

Jasoco

Banned
Copernicus said:
You can search your history, just start typing in the bar.
I was more interested in the Tab switching capabilities of the other extension. Would be better if it was all built into the program itself. Without needing an extension.

Jasoco

Banned
My Chrome just updated to 12. But about:flags now freezes the browser and all its tabs to the point I have to force quit it. So I can't even check and see if they added anything.

Edit: Not anymore. Okay. Whatever. Took two restarts after updating for it to fix itself.

All I see is an experimental new New Tab page. But it's nothing special and nothing that matters to me since I use my own extension to replace my New Tab page.

Also, my icon is now the old and busted 3D icon and not the new one. Boooo. Boo, Chrome! Booo! I want my new icon back! (Gonna go get it from another copy of my older browser.)

Jzero

Jasoco said:
My Chrome just updated to 12. But about:flags now freezes the browser and all its tabs to the point I have to force quit it. So I can't even check and see if they added anything.

Edit: Not anymore. Okay. Whatever. Took two restarts after updating for it to fix itself.

All I see is an experimental new New Tab page. But it's nothing special and nothing that matters to me since I use my own extension to replace my New Tab page.

Also, my icon is now the old and busted 3D icon and not the new one. Boooo. Boo, Chrome! Booo! I want my new icon back! (Gonna go get it from another copy of my older browser.)
Yup the icons are back to the old ones, maybe because everyone on Facebook hated it?

Jasoco

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Chrome 12 supports OS X Lion full-screen mode.

It still uses the old Aqua scrollbar and non-elastic scrolling, though.
Almost. No, it only has the Fullscreen button in the titlebar area. It does not get its own space. I am in Chrome 12 on Lion right now. Disappointed, but it does not get its own space. It still takes over the main space. It also doesn't get that "Leave fullscreen" button in the menubar next to Spotlight.

Bah. So close. SO CLOSE! I was actually considering switching to Lion fulltime. Now I will wait a little longer. Let's do it, Google Chrome team! Let's go all the way!

Jasoco said:
Almost. No, it only has the Fullscreen button in the titlebar area. It does not get its own space. I am in Chrome 12 on Lion right now. Disappointed, but it does not get its own space. It still takes over the main space.

Bah. So close. SO CLOSE! I was actually considering switching to Lion fulltime. Now I will wait a little longer.
Gross.

I bet it's coming properly, though. The first step was just to get the icon up there.

Jasoco

Banned
Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Gross.

I bet it's coming properly, though. The first step was just to get the icon up there.
I wonder if that's something that apps might actually get automatically if the OS detects they have a fullscreen mode? If not, then it's a good sign someone's actually working on putting it in this soon which would be a good sign that I won't have to wait a while after Lion actually comes out to be able to use it.

I wonder if there's a group on Google for discussing this somewhere. I'll look around where that bug about the missing status bar was filed.

Edit: Dev 12 was way too buggy to use. I had to switch back to the Beta channel on 11. At least now I have the superior awesome icon and not the old and busted shitty old icon.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Everytime I try and use an unpacked extension Chrome is crashing and I have to force it to shut with the task manager

anyone else have this problem?

dev 12.0.712.0

Jasoco

Banned
D4Danger said:
Everytime I try and use an unpacked extension Chrome is crashing and I have to force it to shut with the task manager

anyone else have this problem?

dev 12.0.712.0
12 was way too crashy in its current state. I had to switch to the 11 Beta channel to keep it from updating to 12 yet. When 12 is confirmed fixed, I'll switch back, but for now I'm sticking to 11. (I have both the Beta and Dev installed so I can switch between them if I want to take a look.)

Ramma2

superfly said:
a bit lost here. can anyone make a quick list of essential extensions?

My extensions:

LastPass - Version: 1.73.3
LastPass is a free password manager and form filler. LastPass is also available for Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari.

Mail Checker Plus for Google Mail™ - Version: 1.2.3.3
Displays the number of unread messages in your Gmail and Google Apps inbox. Preview mail, read, delete, archive and mark as spam!

Proxy Switchy! - Version: 1.6.3
Manage and switch between multiple proxies quickly and easily.

Smooth Gestures - Version: 0.15.0.1
Mouse Gestures! Quickly and easily navigate webpages using the mouse or keyboard.

SmoothScroll - Version: 0.9.8
Scrolls the websites smoothly when scrolling with the mouse wheel or the keyboard

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Another day another headache.

Chrome has decided to log me out of everything when it closes now.
This happened to me way back when I first started using it, and someone told me how to fix it but I don't remember and google searching hasn't provided me any tips.

Jasoco said:
Just tried Feather and found out it disables my Lists. That sucks. It looks nice, but renders my Twitter useless. I need my Mojang, Community and Coco lists.

Really? It works for me.. I can still create lists & view them. It might be conflicting with another extension.

Jasoco

Banned
I don't have any other Twitter extensions running and the list pops up fine without it. Also, isn't this "extension" just CSS?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Jtwo said:
Another day another headache.

Chrome has decided to log me out of everything when it closes now.
This happened to me way back when I first started using it, and someone told me how to fix it but I don't remember and google searching hasn't provided me any tips.
Hey dudes! [how have I not gone to sleep yet?]
Just wanted to re-ask this. I know there is a solution because it happened to me a while ago and it was a pretty random fix that I have now forgotten.

Hope your weekend is off to a good start.

tino

Banned
tino said:

On firefox I can type "cc" enter and go straight to google calendar since FF bookmark has a way for me to hardcode it. I still can't find a way to do it in Chrome, with or without extensions. I can also type "e earch term" on FF awesome bar and go straight to ebay earch. But as long as I can do first thing I will make Chrome my primary browser.

I asked these two questions earlier. Somebody pointed me to search keyword option, which solved the 2nd problem. I tried to use it as a bookmark shorthand, it actually works!

Let me explain, on Firefox, I can type "e iPod" on URL bar, and it will search ipod on ebay for me. If I type "ee iPod" it will search for completed auction of ipod for me. That's fine, google has this feature as well.

However on FF, I can assign a shorthand to a bookmark, for example, I can assign "cc" to calendar.google.com. So whenever I type cc, enter on the URL bar, it will go to that bookmark without searching. Turn out you can do that with the google search engine management. So if I go to option, add a new search engine, assign "cc" as keyword and use "calendar.google.com" as search address; next time I type cc, enter on the search bar, I will go to google calendar immediately. Awesome!

I will be making chrome as my primary browser now.

Jasoco said:
I don't have any other Twitter extensions running and the list pops up fine without it. Also, isn't this "extension" just CSS?

Yeah it's only CSS. Odd that it doesn't work for you.

Anyway just as I was getting used to and actually liking the new icon Google removes it. :/ Hopefully they'll reintroduce a more refined version of it in the future.

I'd be content with something like this though:

256.png
256.png

Alright sorry for the double post but this is driving me nuts. I'm randomly getting this:

Screen%20shot%202011-03-27%20sat%206.18.47%20PM.png

on certain open tabs. Basically the bottom part of the "New Tab" page is sticking there or something. And as a result the top part of whatever site I'm on is hidden:

Screen%20shot%202011-03-27%20dat%206.18.47%20PM.png

Is anyone else getting this?

movie_club

is there a way to make a shortcut key that would enable me to immediately be searching search:neogaf.com in the omnibar?

I just switched to the dev channel, how often does it update?

and WOW the tab overview feature is so great! I had to change my better touch tool preferences to make three finger top tab top page and three finger bottom tap end page though (on a macbook).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
movie_club said:
is there a way to make a shortcut key that would enable me to immediately be searching search:neogaf.com in the omnibar?

I just switched to the dev channel, how often does it update?

and WOW the tab overview feature is so great! I had to change my better touch tool preferences to make three finger top tab top page and three finger bottom tap end page though (on a macbook).

Options -> Basics -> Manage search engines...

[Add new search engine] = NeoGAF Google Search

[Keyword] = Keyword you want

[URL with %s in place of query] = http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aneogaf.com+%s

Encrypted version:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=site%3Aneogaf.com+%s

Autocomplete will kick in after you've used it once or twice.

movie_club

Andrex said:
Options -> Basics -> Manage search engines...

[Add new search engine] = NeoGAF Google Search

[Keyword] = Keyword you want

[URL with %s in place of query] = http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aneogaf.com+%s

Encrypted version:

https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=site%3Aneogaf.com+%s

Autocomplete will kick in after you've used it once or twice.
Thanks!!

ScOULaris

Just came across this new extension today, and it's very useful.

Omnibox Site Search

This lets you search very quickly within whatever site you're on right from the omnibox. Sure, you can already do this with some sites by typing the URL and then hitting tab (e.g. YouTube, Wikipedia, IMDB... etc.), but this extension comes in handy for GAF among other sites.

It even shows suggestions right away in the omnibox dropdown menu as you type.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Cross-posted...

Just published my first real extension and open source project: NeoGAF Smilies.

Basically does what it says. I found it annoying that there would be times I would need it...

But as it says in the description:

Please be aware that the smilies were taken out for a reason, so please use discretion when using these smilies.

Can't be repeated enough. Like a well-timed fart, treat these with care.

Ashhong

Andrex said:
Cross-posted...

Just published my first real extension and open source project: NeoGAF Smilies.

Basically does what it says. I found it annoying that there would be times I would need it...

But as it says in the description:

Can't be repeated enough. Like a well-timed fart, treat these with care.

I love you. Can you also add in the things that someone made through Greasemonkey for firefox? They added spoiler buttons, strikethrough I think, and something else.

trainspot said:
Nobody even mentioned AdBlock ? How do you get by these days with all those ads out there?

What is there to mention?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ashhong said:
I love you. Can you also add in the things that someone made through Greasemonkey for firefox? They added spoiler buttons, strikethrough I think, and something else.

Hrm yeah I'll look into it, good suggestion.

If there are any Javascript wizards here who know how to get and set the cursor's position in a textarea, I'd love to hear your wisdom.

Ashhong

Andrex said:
Hrm yeah I'll look into it, good suggestion.

If there are any Javascript wizards here who know how to get and set the cursor's position in a textarea, I'd love to hear your wisdom.

The smilies dont show up when you edit a post

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ashhong said:
The smilies dont show up when you edit a post

Good catch.

If anyone knows their way around Git you can contribute to the code, the Github is the dev website.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
^_^

Updated to version 1.2. Go to chrome://extensions and hit "Update extensions now" if you're feeling antsy.

God I love how Chrome does extensions.

ScOULaris

@Andrex: All I can say is
3AQmK.gif

Thank you for creating this extension. I've been waiting for someone with a little Javascript know-how to make something exactly like this. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

I have a problem with Chrome lately. So in facebook when I log in a lot of posts on my wall and all new notifications aren't there. It's like it went back in time or something. So I try signing out and back in and it's still messed up. I cleared the cache, cookies, history and everything and it's still like that!

Then I checked both Internet Explorer and Firefox and it works perfectly there.

I really don't want to change back to Firefox but this is a pretty annoying thing to put up with.

Any ideas how this is possible?

Top Bottom