• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hrm maybe it has to do with user-settings distinguishing between US and UK date formats?

Edit- you could always file a bug: crbug.com

giga

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Okay so two of the things stopping me from making the full switch to Chrome from Opera(I've been using Opera for a long time) is:

-Bookmark Managing
-Customizable Speeddial

Are there any extensions or ways to customize these things?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Andrex said:
Bookmark manager has been apart of Chrome since like v3 too...
No I don't like the current bookmark manager, because as it is now you have to scroll over the bookmark to see the URL.
Ashhong said:
There is an extension called SpeedDial that lets you do just that.
Will check out, thanks.

mclaren777

Ashhong said:
There is an extension called SpeedDial that lets you do just that.
I used SpeedDial and I love it.

mFhBEl.jpg

Jasoco

Banned
I used Speed Dial for a while, but it was a customized version that I edited myself. But eventually I realized that every time an update came out I was going to have to edit it again and again so I gave up, Googled "how to make a new tab extension" and made my own "Launch Pad" (I was calling it that BEFORE Apple revealed Lion) and have been using it ever since.

It's just a page hard coded with links to my most used sites. No inline editing or anything. Just lightweight HTML and JavaScript and CSS.

Ashhong

Why did you dislike SpeedDial enough to go and do all that? Does exactly what I need it to do.

I have accidentally closed Chrome one too many times while typing. Is there some kind of shortcut that I dont know? It seems to happen as I was pressing Shift+A and then accidentally hit ctrl, but doing that again didn't close it.

Threi

notag
Ashhong said:
Why did you dislike SpeedDial enough to go and do all that? Does exactly what I need it to do.

I have accidentally closed Chrome one too many times while typing. Is there some kind of shortcut that I dont know? It seems to happen as I was pressing Shift+A and then accidentally hit ctrl, but doing that again didn't close it.
ctrl + W closes tabs

ctrl + shift + T reopens it.

Jasoco

Banned
Ashhong said:
It wasn't customizable enough for me. So I made my own. It was simple enough and I learned a lot about making my own extensions.

Win-win.

PwnCakes

Neo Member
I've been using the 64-bit beta of FireFox (MineField), and it is incredibly fast. I found on my own that graphics acceleration was better implemented in IE9 though, with FireFox coming in 2nd. It'll take a major speedboost for me to go back to Chrome anytime soon though.

Jasoco

Banned
layzie1989 said:
is there a chrome update for the lion developer preview 2? every version still crashes on launch for me.
Not yet. 12 still won't quit without force and about:flags still won't open on Snow Leopard. Damn, this is like the longest amount of time between an update ever. I haven't seen that "You need to restart" dialog in forever. I've been using 11 Beta instead for forever.

Sure hope they have it all fixed by Lion's release.

hEist

layzie1989 said:
is there a chrome update for the lion developer preview 2? every version still crashes on launch for me.

same here... checking/downloading daily and hoping that it's finally working again...

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
What the fucking shit? I shut down my PC and when I turned it back on all of my extensions were gone. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't know how I should go about getting them back without having to go get every one again. -___-

Jasoco

Banned
You should set up sync. Then if it ever happens again, Chrome will just download everything for you again no matter what.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Jasoco said:
You should set up sync. Then if it ever happens again, Chrome will just download everything for you again no matter what.

Sort of; it'll download the extensions but not sync the in-extension settings. I use a lot of custom adblock filters and they don't sync across my installations unless I upload them in a ruleset file and subscribe to the ruleset (IE use the extension's sync feature rather than Chrome's)

Jasoco

Banned
I will say that the thing that does bug me about some tabbed browsers is that you can't read the entire page title. I know Firefox shows the title in the title bar area, but Chrome takes over half the title bar area with tabs to save space so it can't show the title there. And actually, I'd rather it stay this way because I'd rather keep the saved space. On NeoGAF I just run scripts in post that add the title to the bottom of the page in custom HTML using Personalized Web, but other sites I just have to use my head.

Jasoco

Banned
Takes too long to pop up. It's a waste of time for something that really should be available at a glance. While most pages are fine, a lot of sites out there put the site name first (YouTube) so all you see on a browser with a half dozen pages open on one site is the site name over and over instead of the actual content title.

For YouTube I fixed it, again with a script that takes the site name off the title of the page so I can see the actual title.

kehs

Banned
Jasoco said:
Takes too long to pop up. It's a waste of time for something that really should be available at a glance. While most pages are fine, a lot of sites out there put the site name first (YouTube) so all you see on a browser with a half dozen pages open on one site is the site name over and over instead of the actual content title.

For YouTube I fixed it, again with a script that takes the site name off the title of the page so I can see the actual title.

There's a experimental option that will "group" sites that have the same text up front and place it on the back end.

Add grouping to tab context menu
Adds items to the tab context menu for grouping tabs.

edit: That' might not be what I'm thinking about.

Jasoco

Banned
whatsinaname said:
Can someone one with Chrome 10/11 with GPU acceleration turned on run this demo and post the results?

http://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/Performance/SpeedReading/Default.html

Just want to check how much of an improvement Chrome 12 is.

Also, does the GPU make a difference? Maybe you can post your GPU as well.

Chrome 12
Ati 6950
MnX8v.jpg
Something must be wrong because I'm getting 1FPS and very slow animation in 11. WTF?

Edit: Same in 12. How do I make sure acceleration is on? This is weird.

Tokubetsu

Thanks! Anyone else having problems with gaf and chrome? Whenever I open a new thread in a new tab, the original tab will just freeze for 30 seconds. Sometimes these new tabs wont load or they'll just freeze and I cant scroll wheel or close the tab. This just started up yesterday. Only happens on Gaf. Maybe I should leave dev channel? =/

Jasoco

Banned
D4Danger said:
type about:flags into the address bar and enable GPU Accelerated Canvas 2D
The option's not even there on later versions. And 12's so fucked up that I can't even get to the page.

survivor

Banned
FPS: 28
Total Billboard Draws: 861
Average Draw Duration: 35ms
Last Draw Duration: 11ms
Size: 1366 x 667
Browser Score 42s
Chrome 11

Did this on my laptop, does it become faster on a regular PC?

Ashhong

Tokubetsu said:
Thanks! Anyone else having problems with gaf and chrome? Whenever I open a new thread in a new tab, the original tab will just freeze for 30 seconds. Sometimes these new tabs wont load or they'll just freeze and I cant scroll wheel or close the tab. This just started up yesterday. Only happens on Gaf. Maybe I should leave dev channel? =/

Yes. I came in here to post this. I think I have narrowed it down to Andrex's "Quick Reply" extension. Do you have that installed? I disabled it and the pages no longer freeze for 30 seconds.

Tokubetsu

Ashhong said:
Yes. I came in here to post this. I think I have narrowed it down to Andrex's "Quick Reply" extension. Do you have that installed? I disabled it and the pages no longer freeze for 30 seconds.

Had to get on firefox to read this, chrome pretty much just locked up. Thanks for the heads up, I'll disable it.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Strange it just started locking up on me too, dunno why it would be acting up now all of a sudden. I'll look into it.

Ashhong

I think its GAF in general too. Even with it disabled it's running like shit and the avatars arent even showing up for me right now. I dont know how it is in Firefox though, so maybe it's a Chrome thing.

Top Bottom