• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

Ashhong

D4Danger said:

Ah, so the avatars were too much for the severs
KuGsj.gif

Probably relates to the issues quick reply extension is having.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ashhong said:
Ah, so the avatars were too much for the severs
KuGsj.gif

Probably relates to the issues quick reply extension is having.

Maybe, but that would be odd because all the extension is doing is injecting some HTML at the bottom of the page... Hrm... Well, I can't work on it until I get home in a few hours anyways.

Jasoco

Banned
D4Danger said:
are you using canary?

it's there in dev 12.0.733.0
I'm on normal Beta and Dev builds. No Chromium or Canary. In 12 I can't even get to about:flags on OS X. And on 11 it's not even there anymore. So I assumed it was on by default.

Other than this test, is there another way to tell if the browser has it turned on? Something that will give me a boolean True or False or a Yes or No or an Active or Inactive...

Something is up here because on Firefox 4 and Safari's latest WebKit I get 8 or 9 FPS. On Chrome I get 1 or 2.

Even on Parallels I get 4FPS for Chrome, 6 for Firefox 4 and 9 for IE 9.

This is a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz with 8GB RAM and an SSD.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Jasoco said:
I'm on normal Beta and Dev builds. No Chromium or Canary. In 12 I can't even get to about:flags on OS X. And on 11 it's not even there anymore. So I assumed it was on by default.

Other than this test, is there another way to tell if the browser has it turned on? Something that will give me a boolean True or False or a Yes or No or an Active or Inactive...

Something is up here because on Firefox 4 and Safari's latest WebKit I get 8 or 9 FPS. On Chrome I get 1 or 2.

Even on Parallels I get 4FPS for Chrome, 6 for Firefox 4 and 9 for IE 9.

This is a MacBook Pro 2.4GHz with 8GB RAM and an SSD.

oh, I don't know what they're doing on OS X. It's there on Windows.

on mine you can type about:gpu and it gives you a load info but I don't know if it's useful

edit: typo

killakiz

D4Danger said:
oh, I don't know what they're doing on OS X. It's there on Windows.

on mine you can't type about:gpu and it gives you a load info but I don't know if it's useful
HOLY SH***T Hardware Acceleration Unavailable!!! no wonder flash is shitty???

survivor

Banned
What's the best extension for downloading Youtube videos. Google seems to have removed any Youtube downloading extensions on their website for some reason. Dunno what they got against downloading the videos.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
survivor said:
What's the best extension for downloading Youtube videos. Google seems to have removed any Youtube downloading extensions on their website for some reason. Dunno what they got against downloading the videos.

The have a legal obligation to do what's in their power to obsfucate the process as best they can. DRM and all that.

The one I have is Chrome YouTube Downloader. Very discrete, which is why I like it.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
So with all these GAF updates, there still doesn't seem to be a fix for my chrome issue where I click on "Go to New Post" and it gets stuck on loading up an old post (from the first time I clicked the "go to New Post", subsequent times keep loading up that same post). The only solution I've ever had for this problem is to clear the cache, but that can get pretty annoying. i haven't always had this problem and I've seen others in this thread mention it before, but is there really no way of addressing it?

killakiz said:
HOLY SH***T Hardware Acceleration Unavailable!!! no wonder flash is shitty???
Same issue with my MacBook Pro running the latest Dev build. It further states that the current ATi drivers from Apple are buggy for the hardware acceleration.

Get on that shtick, Apple!

Ashhong

SpeedingUptoStop said:
So with all these GAF updates, there still doesn't seem to be a fix for my chrome issue where I click on "Go to New Post" and it gets stuck on loading up an old post (from the first time I clicked the "go to New Post", subsequent times keep loading up that same post). The only solution I've ever had for this problem is to clear the cache, but that can get pretty annoying. i haven't always had this problem and I've seen others in this thread mention it before, but is there really no way of addressing it?

Are you saying GAF freezes or that it doesnt load the new post when you press "Go to New Post"? I don't know about your issue, but that happens to me all the time (the go to new post issue), and then it just starts working as it should. I have had that problem on Firefox as well though, and I think there was even a thread about it.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Ashhong said:
Are you saying GAF freezes or that it doesnt load the new post when you press "Go to New Post"? I don't know about your issue, but that happens to me all the time (the go to new post issue), and then it just starts working as it should. I have had that problem on Firefox as well though, and I think there was even a thread about it.
It doesn't load the page at latest new post, it loads the "new post" from the first time I clicked "new post". So for like, a fast moving thread, i click new post and it takes me to the lastest pst on page 5, right. Well, the thread will keep moving, but it will only load that "new post" link that lead to me page 5, until I clear the cache and it works again.

shortyme

SpeedingUptoStop said:
It doesn't load the page at latest new post, it loads the "new post" from the first time I clicked "new post". So for like, a fast moving thread, i click new post and it takes me to the lastest pst on page 5, right. Well, the thread will keep moving, but it will only load that "new post" link that lead to me page 5, until I clear the cache and it works again.

This happens to me as well. Pain in the ass.

mclaren777 said:
I used SpeedDial and I love it.

mFhBEl.jpg
So I installed this yesterday and I enjoy it so far. That being said, is there any way to make it so right click -> open in new tab doesn't take your to that new opened tab? Seriously, what the hell are they thinking; if I wanted to immediately go to that site, I'd simply click it.

rekameohs

Banned
Mike Works said:
So I installed this yesterday and I enjoy it so far. That being said, is there any way to make it so right click -> open in new tab doesn't take your to that new opened tab? Seriously, what the hell are they thinking; if I wanted to immediately go to that site, I'd simply click it.
Middle click does that, but I don't know if there's a way for right click to.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
How do I back up my chrome?
I know there is sync for bookmarks and stuff, but it does nothing to save my keyboard shortcuts etc.

Jasoco

Banned
Jtwo said:
How do I back up my chrome?
I know there is sync for bookmarks and stuff, but it does nothing to save my keyboard shortcuts etc.
Just make a copy of your profile. On OS X I know it's under ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome/. Not sure where in Windows or Linux.

I guess that is. Explain keyboard shortcuts. For what?

Jzero

Man Chrome is fucking up lately (latest Win Dev) thing freezes too much. Must be all of the extensions i have.

Edit: just disabled all the gaf extensions and it works better

Jasoco

Banned
Fuck the current Dev. Switch to the Beta 11. Dev is fucked up beyond all shit. Kill it with fire until they fix it. Beta is stable as a newborn baby... or something.

Jasoco

Banned
Beta's pretty stable. It's the Dev that's currently fucked. Usually Dev is stable, but someone did something wrong a few weeks ago and it's been shitty ever since. And hasn't put out an update in a while. So I'm on Beta until 12 becomes Beta or Dev goes 13. I just hop between them and keep them up to date. If anything is wrong, I launch the other version. it takes like 10 seconds to switch between them on OS X providing you have both installed.

Is there way in Chrome that when I search using the address bar it automatically opens the first result (as if I pressed I'm Feeling Lucky on Google)? I tried Shift-Enter, Ctrl+Enter, and Alt+Enter but no dice.

Rookje

Naked Snake said:
Is there way in Chrome that when I search using the address bar it automatically opens the first result (as if I pressed I'm Feeling Lucky on Google)? I tried Shift-Enter, Ctrl+Enter, and Alt+Enter but no dice.
Yea, I also was looking for that. I hear they never added that feature because it potentially eats up too much advertising revenue.

Here's an extension that kind of does what you want, but doesn't use the omnibox which sucks :/

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/nmeffenamijlmohgmapencglggecfcgn

Pyrokai

Crazy random question:

So I've recently been allowing Chrome to remember all my passwords, but how do I get it to remember passwords for sites I previously said no to? I don't know how to get it to remember passwords or logins without being prompted. How can I force this prompt?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Pyrokai said:
Crazy random question:

So I've recently been allowing Chrome to remember all my passwords, but how do I get it to remember passwords for sites I previously said no to? I don't know how to get it to remember passwords or logins without being prompted. How can I force this prompt?

if you go to

chrome://settings/passwords

you should see a list of sites you've told Chrome not to save passwords for at the bottom. I think if you remove them from you should see the prompt again.

Pyrokai

Actually, I already did that. Sorry, I should have said. It still won't prompt me, though. Is it possible it's not compatible with all sites?

The site in question is Monster.com

Doytch

kaskade said:
Chrome has a full screen mode for Mac? I was using went to shift+cmd+f for word but chrome was open. Boom, full screen.
Yeah, it's a lot better than the one on Windows, too, since you can still access the controls on the top of the window. Question though: Anyone know if you can change the key-binding? One of my extensions uses Shift+B as a key combo and it's uncustomizable, so I'm hoping I can change the fullscreen key combo.

pestul

Have you guys had issues with Chrome 10 (last couple) and full screen youtube videos? They sometimes hard lock my ASUS eeePC netbook now. Could possibly be an Adobe Flash related problem (which also updated today). I haven't noticed it with Opera on this machine.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
So I am having a strange issue with Chrome 10 (OS X).

I use OpenDNS through my router. For some reason, sometimes when I try to go to google.com or gmail.com, I get an OpenDNS error page saying that it cannot be found, and then it gives me some "similar search items" which include links to the same pages, that don't work. This only seems to happen with Chrome, Safari and Firefox work fine. What could be the issue?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Tokubetsu said:
So what extensions are y'all running?

Maximus.

Sorry if this has been answered here, but quickly looking through it seems most of you guys are on beta or dev builds. I was just wondering if anyone knew if the next stable build will have the new icon?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Fraull said:
Sorry if this has been answered here, but quickly looking through it seems most of you guys are on beta or dev builds. I was just wondering if anyone knew if the next stable build will have the new icon?

I believe 11 should, yeah.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Sean said:
Why the hell is this feature not built into Chrome by default? Every other browser I know of has had this functionality natively for years now.

You would think Google of all companies would want to make RSS easier to discover since they run the Google Reader service.

It's a bit odd but Google says it's trying to keep Chrome down to the minimum. Besides that, they've explained they have data which shows that people who don't know about RSS would never click on it, and people who do know about it don't really have a problem getting the extension.

Oddly enough Chrome on Google TV has the extension/functionality built-in by default. So who knows.

Ezalc

Holy mother of fuck, what just happened to my delicious Chrome? Now There's no more bookmarks bar, and I lost my all manga reader extension. What's the meaning of this?! I need assistance!!

EDIT: Ok I got my bookmarks bar back, but I still can't get the manga extension. What's the meaning of this Chrome?!

Oyashiro

Two questions:

-Is there any way to set it so every time I open a new tab it will open a page instead? For example, if I want to set it so every time I open a new tab it goes straight to neogaf.com
-Is there any way to make Chrome start with a pinned tab? I know this was possible in Windows, but I have a Mac now and I don't know if it's possible...

Top Bottom