• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

chessnut

Oyashiro said:
Two questions:

-Is there any way to set it so every time I open a new tab it will open a page instead? For example, if I want to set it so every time I open a new tab it goes straight to neogaf.com
-Is there any way to make Chrome start with a pinned tab? I know this was possible in Windows, but I have a Mac now and I don't know if it's possible...

you can make it so that when you open a new tab, it will open as your home page....and you can change the homepage to whatever you want.

go to settings -> options -> and it's under homepage

i dont have a mac so i dont know about the 2nd question, i think you should be able to though

Jasoco

Banned
Sean said:
Why the hell is this feature not built into Chrome by default? Every other browser I know of has had this functionality natively for years now.

You would think Google of all companies would want to make RSS easier to discover since they run the Google Reader service.
I know! When Safari came out, Apple was pushing RSS like it was the newest thing since sliced bread. But now I never see an icon show up in any browser. Thanks to this extension I have found so many RSS feeds on sites I didn't even know had them.

Ashhong

Oyashiro said:
Two questions:

-Is there any way to set it so every time I open a new tab it will open a page instead? For example, if I want to set it so every time I open a new tab it goes straight to neogaf.com
-Is there any way to make Chrome start with a pinned tab? I know this was possible in Windows, but I have a Mac now and I don't know if it's possible...

What do you mean start with a pinned tab? You can have it start with your previous tabs in the settings. Do you mean you dont want to save all tabs, and you just want a specific tab open every time you load the program? I don't know about that. How do you do that on Windows?

benjipwns

Banned
In the options you can make it open with specific pages. You'd have to pin it though probably.

Easiest way would just be keeping previous tabs and pinning one wouldn't it?

Doytch

Oyashiro said:
I'm basically trying to do this:

http://lifehacker.com/#!5422014/make-google-chrome-open-with-permanently-pinned-tabs

In OSX.
If you're never closing the pinned tabs, just quit Chrome using Cmd+Q and it'll re-open with your pinned tabs. Unless I don't really understand what you're asking.

So, pin a tab, Cmd+Q, open Chrome, bam, you've got pinned tabs.

Jasoco

Banned
Just found this extension on Lifehacker:
https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/ilfjhacjjbcdmimjeaakpnlhdcloijcg?hl=en-US

A calendar for the History page that makes it SOOOOOO much easier to navigate and see what sites you visited on a day-per-day basis.

Now if they could make it easier to search with more options and make it so I can delete specific History items, it'd be much better.

I used to be able to type "a" and it would show Apple.com as the first result. Then one day I hit "a" and hit enter right away, but it hadn't shown the result yet so instead it took me to a Google "not found" page for the website "a". Now every time I hit "a", I can no longer just go to Apple.com. And I can't figure out how to just delete that one single history item so Chrome can return to remembering apple.com as my first "a" result. FUCKING HELL. Firefox has a much easier history. I can select and delete items with no problem. Chrome's is a web page with links. Throw me a bone here!

daffy

Banned
Anyone listen to Last.fm with Chrome? I get constant shockwave flash crashes when I'm listening.. is there any way to fix that?

Yay! The stable channel just updated to version 11!

The only thing I really notice is the new icon... hopefully there were a lot of performance improvements behind the scenes or something?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
added_time said:

The only thing I really notice is the new icon... hopefully there were a lot of performance improvements behind the scenes or something?

Man I don't even know anymore. :p Hopefully there will be a blog post later today.

Should I make a new OT for 11?

Man, I just made the switch from firefox to chrome this week and I just stumbled upon the extensions you all mentioned. I can't wait to get home from work and try all of this stuff out.

Jasoco

Banned
added_time said:

Oooh. Maybe that means 12 is finally good enough for Beta??? Has anyone been using 12 Dev lately? Is it still shit? Gonna test it now...

Edit: Nope. 12's still a buggy piece of shit. Oh well. Maybe soon. I'll just stay on Beta for now.

torontoml

Jasoco said:
Oooh. Maybe that means 12 is finally good enough for Beta??? Has anyone been using 12 Dev lately? Is it still shit? Gonna test it now...

Edit: Nope. 12's still a buggy piece of shit. Oh well. Maybe soon. I'll just stay on Beta for now.
What kind of problems do you have with the dev version? I don't seem to have any problems.

Jasoco

Banned
The two most prominent are about:flags not working AT ALL. And it does not quit AT ALL. I have to force quit every single time.

OS X version.

Been like this for the past month or two. Version 12.0.712.0.

Edit: Seems it wasn't updating. I downloaded the current Dev 12.0.742.9 from the site and it works now. At least as far as I can tell... About:flags works and it quits normally. Maybe the bugs are fixed again? Gonna keep using this one for a while.

kaskade

The google voice search thing works pretty well. I'm not sure it's much faster than typing. It's still pretty cool to say something and have it search instantly.

A problem I have with Chrome is when trying to search for previously visited websites/threads by typing them into the address bar. Instead, most of the time I am only seeing Google Search results.

kehs

Banned
rekameohs said:
The new chrome icon looks better on the W7 taskbar than I had originally thought. I'm starting to warm up to it.

they tweaked it, the first one was horribly flat and out of place

D4Danger said:
what did he do? is he coming back?

someone should update the OP or start a new thread.
He'll be back in July.

Also
infSVq.png

WTF why is stuff cut out? Even the scroll bar is gone. I don't need it I have my mouse wheel but still this shouldn't be happening. Happen after the Dev channel updated I guess.
Already sent a issue report to google.

Jasoco

Banned
It looks like the window content is slightly wider than the window itself. Does it do the same when in windowed (Non-maximized) mode?

Jasoco said:
It looks like the window content is slightly wider than the window itself. Does it do the same when in windowed (Non-maximized) mode?
Nope. It's normal in windowed mode. That's how I have it at the moment.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
shadowcomplex said:
is there any word on "no script" for chrome yet? are there any alternatives.

You can mess with the settings in chrome itself for javascript. It's not exactly the same thing though.

That new dev build is so bad, not only do I have that width bug but it seems to not even load tabs half the time ugh. That's what I get for using a dev build but this is the first time it has been really bad for me and unusable.

Jasoco

Banned
MatthewB92 said:
Nope. It's normal in windowed mode. That's how I have it at the moment.
Really? Because according to the icon in the corner and the spacing on the tab bar, you have it Maximized.

Jasoco said:
Really? Because according to the icon in the corner and the spacing on the tab bar, you have it Maximized.
Well I mean I have in in windowed mode because it's cutting stuff out. I normally have it maximized.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
anyone else having problem with tabs not loading/showing?

what I mean is I load a site, I see the tab is loaded but when I click on it the screen doesn't draw the page. I see the page I was on.

dev 12.0.724.12

D4Danger said:
anyone else having problem with tabs not loading/showing?

what I mean is I load a site, I see the tab is loaded but when I click on it the screen doesn't draw the page. I see the page I was on.

dev 12.0.724.12
Yea happens all the time, using canary build until thats fixed.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
GhostRidah said:
Yea happens all the time, using canary build until thats fixed.

well I'm glad it's not just me

v12 is a real pos at the moment. Every update breaks something. (I know, it's a dev build blahblahblah but it shouldn't break simple things like this)

Top Bottom