• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Chrome |OT|

The latest Dev channel update fixes the width problem but I still can not load tabs half the time, I hope there is another update sometime this week or we will have to wait until next week.

Edit: If you turn off 2D canvas in about:flags it fixes the problem (so far)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
So I recently got a new computer. I didn't know about the sync feature, so I'm trying to move over my stuff manually. I fucked up while transferring stuff off my old harddrive and now have six files that I've changed the ownership over to this computer, but haven't given permission. I know this is more of a Windows 7 issue, but I thought maybe I could get some ideas on how to grant those particular six files permission. Everything else under user data seems to be able to transfer.

Jasoco

Banned
A Human Becoming said:
So I recently got a new computer. I didn't know about the sync feature, so I'm trying to move over my stuff manually. I fucked up while transferring stuff off my old harddrive and now have six files that I've changed the ownership over to this computer, but haven't given permission. I know this is more of a Windows 7 issue, but I thought maybe I could get some ideas on how to grant those particular six files permission. Everything else under user data seems to be able to transfer.
Just delete it all and sync the official way.

kehs

Banned
A Human Becoming said:

Add a user with admin rights that has the same name/pass as the original file rights.

Ashhong

I might start using this Sync thing. I already have 3 computers with Chrome and different extensions/bookmarks, 1 being OSX. If I start syncing, how will that work? Will all the different bookmarks and extensions combine into 1? One computer wont override the others right?

Jasoco

Banned
A Human Becoming said:
I can't sync it though unless I boot off my old HDD, which I'd rather not do since I'm not sure how. :\ Just seems to complicate things even further.
Have you never synced it before? If you synced it before the computer went, you would be able to just sync to the new one. You really should use sync.

Jasoco

Banned
I saw. I wonder, will it let me use the same profile as Chrome? I remember Chromium didn't by default because of the internal name. But if the profiles are compatible, I could just create a symlink to my Chrome profile and test it out simultaneously like I do the Dev and Beta builds.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Jasoco said:
Have you never synced it before? If you synced it before the computer went, you would be able to just sync to the new one. You really should use sync.

Sadly I didn't know about sync until after I changed computers. Well, I managed to somehow get permission, so I put my old User Data under C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome. It was suppose to revert to my old settings, but it didn't work. I restarted both the browser and my computer, so I'm not sure what to do now. :\ Seems like I'll have to manually re-install everything.

kehs

Banned
A Human Becoming said:
Sadly I didn't know about sync until after I changed computers. Well, I managed to somehow get permission, so I put my old User Data under C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome. It was suppose to revert to my old settings, but it didn't work. I restarted both the browser and my computer, so I'm not sure what to do now. :\ Seems like I'll have to manually re-install everything.

Your user data should be under C:\Users\AHumanBecoming\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome.

clav

Just deleted my cache and history via ccleaner.

I delete cache on a regular basis, but recently, I notice that it took some time for my history to show up, so I ended up deleting all of it.

Turns out, I accumulated 600 MB of history.

WTF Google. Why don't you clean up after yourself?

I love the autoupdates, but this stuff is cleanup 101 and is absolutely unacceptable.

Ashhong

Is cache update files? I always thought it was more like stuff that helps load webpages and stuff. If Im using ccleaner and I want to keep things like history, passwords, and autocomplete, basically things that make my life easier, what should I uncheck under Google Chrome?

clav

Ashhong said:
Is cache update files? I always thought it was more like stuff that helps load webpages and stuff. If Im using ccleaner and I want to keep things like history, passwords, and autocomplete, basically things that make my life easier, what should I uncheck under Google Chrome?
Yes cache is for web stuff. I delete it on a regular basis, because it becomes inflated. One time I didn't delete it for nearly half an year, and I accumulated 5GB of cache.

Weenerz

Banned
I get the waiting on cache issue with Chrome from time to time, it sucks having to wait like 10 minutes for my cache to clear.

Jasoco

Banned
Google separates its History into month by month chunks. I used to keep alll the way back to last January when I switched. But decided to manually just delete some of the earlier files. I just keep history because I find myself visiting and Googling the same sites and phrases all the time so it's nice to see the "Visited" color of certain links to remind me I'd already been there and either A) I didn't find what I wanted there or B) it might actually be the site I want. Some months get really big and some stay really small.

I wish there was an easier way to search and remove only specific history items, basically make Chrome forget I visited a site without deleting the whole month. I used to be able to type "a" and it would after a half second bring up Apple.com as the first result. Then one day I accidentally hit Enter too soon and instead of going to Apple.com, Google took me to "a" and said the site "a" doesn't exist. Now every time I type "a", it shows THAT as the first result. Fuck. How do I get it to forget "a"? JUST "a"? I can't! Not without clearing everything.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
On Beta 12 using the experimental Tab page and I'm wondering what this is about:

ETsxo.png

Clicking on Foo or Bar ends up showing no dials.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Plywood said:
On Beta 12 using the experimental Tab page and I'm wondering what this is about:

ETsxo.png

Clicking on Foo or Bar ends up showing no dials.

foo and bar are common placeholder words

they're not suppose to do anything. They're just there to fill in the gaps while they work on it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I think a handy feature would be to blacklist certain sites from being put in your history. I can't be bothered to go into private browsing everytime I have a whim.

kaskade

Jasoco said:
Google separates its History into month by month chunks. I used to keep alll the way back to last January when I switched. But decided to manually just delete some of the earlier files. I just keep history because I find myself visiting and Googling the same sites and phrases all the time so it's nice to see the "Visited" color of certain links to remind me I'd already been there and either A) I didn't find what I wanted there or B) it might actually be the site I want. Some months get really big and some stay really small.

I wish there was an easier way to search and remove only specific history items, basically make Chrome forget I visited a site without deleting the whole month. I used to be able to type "a" and it would after a half second bring up Apple.com as the first result. Then one day I accidentally hit Enter too soon and instead of going to Apple.com, Google took me to "a" and said the site "a" doesn't exist. Now every time I type "a", it shows THAT as the first result. Fuck. How do I get it to forget "a"? JUST "a"? I can't! Not without clearing everything.
I think if you just type apple.com enough it'll automatically do apple.com instead. The same thing happened to me with facebook and f.

mclaren777

Youtube videos aren't showing progress of the buffering bar on two of the computers I use Chrome. The videos do buffer, but the faint red bar is gone now. Has anyone else experienced this?

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
D4Danger said:
foo and bar are common placeholder words

they're not suppose to do anything. They're just there to fill in the gaps while they work on it.
Gotcha, I wasn't sure if there was going to be something that would let me manually add dials.

mclaren777 said:
Youtube videos aren't showing progress of the buffering bar on two of the computers I use Chrome. The videos do buffer, but the faint red bar is gone now. Has anyone else experienced this?
Same thing, it definitely irks me.

Thoraxes

mclaren777 said:
I'm having the same experience, but I honestly have no idea how to fix it at all.
Sometimes it's a hassle, but everything usually loads fast enough that I don't need it.
Hopefully a fix is found soon!

tabsina

mclaren777 said:

shows up for me in beta

Jasoco

Banned
kaskade said:
I think if you just type apple.com enough it'll automatically do apple.com instead. The same thing happened to me with facebook and f.
It doesn't. It refuses to forget "a".

0mdx0.png

It doesn't even show a in its list. And it's not an extension either.

Tokubetsu

So I'm having this weird problem. In chrome in html5 video (say, Giant Bomb's theater) I'm getting random flickering and color bands on the video (horizontal flashing strips of color randomly around the video. It never covers the entire video though) yet when I try the same video in safari, I don't have a problem. Ideas?

movie_club

Every time I quit chrome i get signed out of everything (twitter, neogaf, FB gmail etc.) and have to sign in again. This has been happening for a while but I am currently on version 12. Anyone else having this problem?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Okay so it appears Dev channel has updated to Chrome 13... they haven't updated the release blog yet though to know the info...

subrock

anyone else getting weird behavior with the download bar on the latest dev version. Files that would normally launch their respective program like an mp3 are no longing behaving like that. instead they download, the download bar minimizes, and nothing is launched.

kehs

Banned
Wow, pretty soon Google is gonna put all the target elements outside my monitor.

This is in regards to :

Compact Navigation
Adds a "Hide the toolbar" entry to the tabstrip's context menu. Use this to toggle between always displaying the toolbar (default) and only opening it as a drop down box as needed.

hEist

still a messed up update function @chrome canary build.
i hate that bug, seriously.

also i don't like, that as a User u cannot set the Canary build as your standard browser.
is there actually any hack out there? (mac, canary build)

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Brettison said:
Okay so it appears Dev channel has updated to Chrome 13... they haven't updated the release blog yet though to know the info...

only changed I've noticed is some new flags

Web Audio
Enables the Web Audio API.

Better omnibox history matching
Enables sub-string and multi-fragment matching within URLs from history.

Restrict Instant To Search
Restrict Instant to loading only search pages.

or were they there before? I didn't check.

edit: bugs in the update broke my extension :(

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
I'm really not liking this blurred effect at the sides of the tabs when the heading is too long to be fully displayed. Also flash is crashing again, something which I thought they'd fixed :(

Jasoco

Banned
Yeah. The fading on the tab titles sucks. I'd rather it work like Safari and just trim off the part it's blurring instead. All I can see on the two YouTube tabs I have above are "ube - P" and "ube - G". THAT'S NOT HELPFUL, GOOGLE!

Flash doesn't crash for me as much as everyone else.

Also, I'm still on 12 Dev. When will 13 be pushed to the auto-updater?

kehs

Banned
Jasoco said:
Yeah. The fading on the tab titles sucks. I'd rather it work like Safari and just trim off the part it's blurring instead. All I can see on the two YouTube tabs I have above are "ube - P" and "ube - G". THAT'S NOT HELPFUL, GOOGLE!

Flash doesn't crash for me as much as everyone else.

Also, I'm still on 12 Dev. When will 13 be pushed to the auto-updater?

How many tabs do you have open that all you see are four letter?

clav

Superimposer said:
I'm really not liking this blurred effect at the sides of the tabs when the heading is too long to be fully displayed.

Me neither. Google, stop making your browser worse!

Superimposer said:
Also flash is crashing again, something which I thought they'd fixed :(
Flash 10.3 was just released. Blame Adobe.

Top Bottom